Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

hawowanlawow posted:

this is not a part of the white girl repertoire

I mean, it appeared to be part of the OPs repertoire, much to the dismay of this so called "friend"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yes a secret Nazi Biker cabal that shaves kids' heads and have them tattooed against their will :rolleyes:

I have seen kids younger than that with Nazi tattoos. This might shock you but Nazis tend to be bad people and how they treat the kid is definitely consistent with gang recruitment.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's called recruitment.

The other alternative someone mentioned in comments there is even more disturbing.

B-Rock452 posted:

I have seen kids younger than that with Nazi tattoos. This might shock you but Nazis tend to be bad people and how they treat the kid is definitely consistent with gang recruitment.

To be clear I was making fun of therobit's extremely stupid post.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Baron von Eevl posted:

To be clear I was making fun of therobit's extremely stupid post.

I actually meant to quote their post but my brain is pudding. Apologies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm just wondering who they found who's willing to tattoo a 7 year old. Or if they were just going to do it themselves

Either way, run and possibly call the cops

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Probably a nazi.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

therobit posted:

Yes a secret Nazi Biker cabal that plays board games and watches sports :rolleyes:

tell me you don't know anything about board games without saying you don't know anything about board games

there are millions of youtube channels and poo poo about people painting their 40K armies like the SS and ww2 games where people are suspiciously enthusiastic about always playing as the nazis and Phil Eklund is an open holocaust denier

this might be my favorite dumb therobit post of the week and that's a pretty high bar to clear

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

when i saw "weird looking shirts" i kinda assumed tie dye

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

haveblue posted:

I'm just wondering who they found who's willing to tattoo a 7 year old. Or if they were just going to do it themselves

Either way, run and possibly call the cops

Wouldn't be surprised if they have cops in their little gang. This isn't hyperbole, formal white supremacist elements (the KKK and other white nationalist entities) are known to be embedded in the police. They often strategically work to get in there.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

pentyne posted:

I think a dude got fired or basically blacklisted at work over something similar. Some new coworker was talking about a subject and he just butted in to tell her she didn't know what she was talking about in front of a bunch of other coworkers

Except it was literally her master thesis subject material, and they all knew about it except him, so he got frozen out from the work group pretty much immediately.

That is somehow one of my favorite ask a manager questions.
My office thinks I insulted a coworker but I didn’t mean it like that

quote:

I work for a small nonprofit. I have one boss and about 14 coworkers with whom I’m “office friendly,” meaning I don’t socialize outside of work/discuss personal matters. Though I’ve been employed the longest, I know very little about people’s personal lives.

The other day my coworker “Susan” came into the office carrying a rock she’d found on a hike. She showed it to me saying that she thought it was a fossil and wanted to ask “Nancy,” our volunteer coordinator, what it was. Without thinking, I laughed and said, “Whatever would Nancy know about fossils? That’s not her background.” Susan gave me a strange look and walked away.

Later that day, our boss called me into her office, shut the door, and told me that “accusing a coworker of falsifying information on her resume is a serious issue.” She then asked me for proof that Nancy had lied. Apparently, Nancy has advanced degrees in paleontology and had taught at our local junior college before switching fields and joining our team. I confessed that I had no idea; what I said to Susan was based my not knowing Nancy’s background. The idea seemed ridiculous: Nancy coordinates volunteers at a nonprofit that has nothing to do with science. How was I to know her background? My response didn’t go over well. I received a verbal warning as well as “advice” about being more aware of how my words came across.

I was also asked to apologize to Nancy – which I reluctantly did. She accepted my apology, but seemed strangely hurt. I still feel that I did nothing wrong. I was merely responding to something that sounded silly to me; the others blew it all out of proportion. My boss said that my words had come across as “dismissive and sexist” because I’m a man and it sounded like I’d assumed Nancy wasn’t really a scientist. I did assume that, but not because she was a woman, because she’s working in a field that has absolutely nothing to do with her scientific background. What say you? Was I out of line? I want to return to friendly terms with my boss and coworkers, but I don’t want admit unwarranted guilt.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my family if they don’t like the way I’m planning my wedding then they don’t need to come and removing them from the list?

quote:

My fiancé(26M) and I(25F) are getting married next week. We aren’t doing a traditional wedding because we decided we want a Harry Potter themed wedding. It’s going to be freaking awesome.

My family has been bugging me about changing the theme of the wedding and doing a normal one instead. I’m not talking like every now and again either. I’m being harassed every day about how I need to change the theme of the wedding and get married in a white gown in a church or that god won’t recognize my marriage as a real marriage.

This hasn’t been a big deal to me until my mother told me that she will refuse to come to the wedding if I don’t change it to how she wants. Almost everyone in my family is backing her up except for a few cousins. When they all agreed on this I snapped and told them that if they don’t like my wedding then I’ll just uninvite them and remove them from the list of guests and it will solve the problem. The cousins who were against not attending the wedding told me that by saying that I was being an AH and that I should just keep them on the list of guest because it would be rude and “unchristian” of me to get married without my family there.

I don’t think I’m the AH but I might be I don’t know.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i'm torn

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
family sounds awful but imagine having a Harry Potter themed wedding in 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

why even bother spoiling that, it’s literally the only thing I could have thought of

ESH

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
extremely cringe to be a diehard potter fan in 2022

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
but still gently caress all of them go full griffledorf

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe OP can emphasize JKR's newfound Christian values.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
What was that post where the OP wanted to sort people by Hogwarts house at the Potter-themed wedding and also said that Stalin was a hufflepuffle?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA leaving my(21M) friends (21F, 20F) at the bar when they pretended not to know me?

In today's episode of Trash Taking Itself Out...

Like I still remember being in a situation like this in my early 20s with a girl I'd been talking to & a couple of her friends. Ended up going to a club & before I could even get drinks, her friends were dragging her around to "find her a guy to take home". Apparently none of them knew we'd been talking & had gone out on a date before this, plus she didn't bother correcting them & just went along with it. I just bounced & blocked her, should've listened to my gut & stayed home.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Do Harry Potter nerds think everyone else is just as obsessed about Harry Potter stuff? Their fans seem way more likely to have a themed wedding than any other fandom I can think of.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mustang posted:

Do Harry Potter nerds think everyone else is just as obsessed about Harry Potter stuff? Their fans seem way more likely to have a themed wedding than any other fandom I can think of.
There used to be a lot of LOTR weddings, but either they've died out or Tolkien fans are less crazy than Rowlings fans? I can't vouch for the latter.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Besides LOTR and HP, Star Wars is the other big theme for nerd weddings.

It could be worse, they could be doing FF7 House-themed weddings instead.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Star Trek / Star Wars weddings are a thing.

I went to a wedding where I sat at a Battlestar Galactica themed table.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DemoneeHo posted:

It could be worse, they could be doing FF7 House-themed weddings instead.

Is this where the bride gets stabbed to death in the middle of the vows?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
best to go with ff6, cast sir ultros with care

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sneakyfrog posted:

best to go with ff6, cast sir ultros with care

Meal announcement is "Let me get my bib!"

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

The worst themed weddings are still the plantation ones, though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"its...lupus" the groom whispered sliding down the zipline from the balcony stabbing the bride fatally

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Brawnfire posted:

Star Trek / Star Wars weddings are a thing.

I went to a wedding where I sat at a Battlestar Galactica themed table.

Please tell me the bride and groom were dressed as Gaius Baltar and Number Six.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GoT Red Weddings or GTFO.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Runcible Cat posted:

GoT Red Weddings or GTFO.

Nice day for it. Nice day to die again.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I (21M) have a feminine name and want to change it. My family is furious.

quote:

Shortly before I was born, my Mother's sister passed away in an accident. My parents agreed to name me after her to honour her memory, and hence I was given (what I feel) a female name, despite my family's insistence that it is a unisex name. Maybe it technically is, but I have always resented my name.

I realise it sounds very much like a first world problem, but it has caused me a lot of grief in my life. Kids in school would always tease me for it. Whenever I have to give my name for something, people always double take or ask if I'm being serious. I deleted tinder off my phone, purely because of the poo poo I cop from girls about my name. I work in a school, and even kids half my age tease me every day when they read my name badge. I could go on...

I finally came to the decision that I wanted to change my name. The worst decision I ever made was talking to my parents for advice. They both lost their poo poo (but particularly my mother) that I would even consider it. I was labelled as ungrateful, disrespectful to them, and even more disrespectful to my Aunt. My parents told my sister about my decision, who also flipped out and has continually told me how disappointed she was.

My family have pretty much threatened to cut me out of their lives completely if I go through with this, which I really don't want to happen. Aside from this issue I love my parents and getting to see them. I get on great with my sister and her husband, as well as their new baby who I love. I also only have a small circle of friends who are busy with their own lives, and I'm single, so if I lose all contact with my family then I feel like I will be almost totally isolated.

I'm just not sure what I should do? I considered trying to change it secretly, but if my parents find out (and they will) then I'm screwed. Part of me thinks I just need to suck it up and deal with it, but I hate my name so much at this point I really don't want to do that. I'm at a loss for how to deal with this.

UPDATE

quote:

It has been a little while since I posted this, and I wanted to finally be able to provide an update. A fair bit has happened since then.

To cut right to the chase, I legally changed my name to Sabe (pronounced like Abe, but with an S). The process was pretty straight forward. 4 weeks and $204 later I got my certificate in the mail.

My original post got a fair bit of attention and I received some fantastic advice about how to go about this, how to talk to my family, and how to make some compromises. And honestly I am fine with how things went down.

I ended making a final, emotional plea to my parents to accept my decision. I made it clear how I felt about everything, and how regardless of what they said I was going to do it anyway. I made an offer to them that nothing would change, and it would be purely for my own peace of mind and mental health. And to my shock, they finally agreed. So to my parents, I am still Sabrina, and Dad actually seems to be making an effort to try to call me Sabe (he often has to correct himself). My sister still seems disappointed in my decision, but she has come to respect it. I will always be Sabrina to her, and I am fine with letting her continue to call me that.

With all that said, I'm fine with still going by that name for my Parents and Sister. That's how I grew up so I'm used to it. And it's a little reminder of the old me. Even though I hated how it affected my personal life, it was still MY name. For everything else, I am Sabe, and it feels like a huge weight of my shoulders. They day I got my new badge at work honestly felt like one of the most powerful moments of my life, even though it's a pretty minor thing. Overall, I am very happy with my decision.

Yep! That sure was a unisex name you got there!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Perfect post construction.

:discourse:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

quote:

Sabrina

What :crossarms:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE

Couldn't they have just called him Severn?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE

I was guessing the name was Courtney or maybe Jordan. Possibly an Alex but I think that's become more male over the years.

Lol at the actual answer.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
I was thinking Ashley. Definitely didn't expect the reveal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At least he didn't name the boy Sue

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My bet was on Stacey, and I felt briefly smug hovering over that spoiler and seeing the S to start. But holy lol the actual name and insisting to your kid it's unisex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
post campbellian history suggests ashley is a perfectly masculine name