Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shrike82 posted:

i wouldn't worry about it - the video AI to do stuff like measure interview performance or monitor employees are basically scam startup pitches that get media coverage for a bit then disappear after people realize they don't work

this doesn't mean companies won't use them though. Look at all the "AI"-powered recruitment poo poo that is being used already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

scary ghost dog posted:

if your job can be done over the internet you deserve it

love too blame the victims of the bullshit jobs economy

"hey we've made automation viable to the point to where a significant portion of the population doesn't have to spend 8 hours a day doing physical labor, we should make housing and food and utilities free so they don't have to work as much"

"nonono, now they have to do even more work, only now the work is worthless and sometimes actively harmful"

"but that'll make them miserable and add to that misery the stigma of knowing their job is meaningless, so they can't even take that small joy as comfort"

"i know, it's loving awesome, my dick is hard enough to pound holes into concrete"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

smarxist posted:

truly i never considered the bad side of remote employment taking off, but of course they'd metric-ify video chat and meetings and probably eventually the entire work day so you have to manage your "engagement scores" and "enthusiasm factors"

This stuff was well in the works pre pandemic, my aunts hell employer went to remote work in like 2006 and always had like minute by minute logging of every click her mouse makes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

loving hell

just say many

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

"hey we've made automation viable to the point to where a significant portion of the population doesn't have to spend 8 hours a day doing physical labor, we should make housing and food and utilities free so they don't have to work as much"

"nonono, now they have to do even more work, only now the work is worthless and sometimes actively harmful"

"but that'll make them miserable and add to that misery the stigma of knowing their job is meaningless, so they can't even take that small joy as comfort"

"i know, it's loving awesome, my dick is hard enough to pound holes into concrete"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Tulip posted:

This stuff was well in the works pre pandemic, my aunts hell employer went to remote work in like 2006 and always had like minute by minute logging of every click her mouse makes

mousejiggler dot exe is my best and only friend

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Screaming Idiot posted:

They aren't the victims here lol

I'd love a pointless paper pusher job, you're free to work poo poo hours at low pay at any homeless shelter if you want a meaningful job. Enjoy the nightly suicide threats and screaming matches over stolen radios while you yourself are still eligible for food stamps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i talked to a place for an SRE job a few years back and they wanted me to do the first technical interview remote, on camera, and they were going to give me a purposely unsolvable challenge and use some 'really neat software' to do an emotional analysis of my face as i worked it to see how i dealt with stressful situations

i not so politely declined

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

They aren't the victims here lol

I'd love a pointless paper pusher job, you're free to work poo poo hours at low pay at any homeless shelter if you want a meaningful job. Enjoy the nightly suicide threats and screaming matches over stolen radios while you yourself are still eligible for food stamps

not everyone that works from home is some "computer toucher" making 6 figures, there's an enormous industry of remote tech support and customer service now, they're often low wage, no benefits, lovely hours and enormous workloads micromanaged to the nth by lovely alogrithms

you often get to provide your own equipment, internet, electricity and other poo poo as well too!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

smarxist posted:

not everyone that works from home is some "computer toucher" making 6 figures, there's an enormous industry of remote tech support and customer service now, they're often low wage, no benefits, lovely hours and enormous workloads micromanaged to the nth by lovely alogrithms

you often get to provide your own equipment, internet, electricity and other poo poo as well too!

How often do you have to clean up someone else's human poo poo, blood, and vomit?

Never? Gosh.

I'm literally getting my A+ because a low paid help desk job would be an upgrade for me.

You've never had a schizophrenic woman scream that she's going to kill you because you asked her to keep it down at 1 in the morning. Trade ya.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I work a low wage remote customer service job and care for a disabled parent who has incontinence issues. The world sucks real bad, but it's not because there are some FAT CATS working at home lmao jesus christ

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

tokin opposition posted:

How often do you have to clean up someone else's human poo poo, blood, and vomit?

Never? Gosh.

I'm literally getting my A+ because a low paid help desk job would be an upgrade for me.

You've never had a schizophrenic woman scream that she's going to kill you because you asked her to keep it down at 1 in the morning. Trade ya.

I have but I'm also not a lib so I want all workers to have better jobs because all jobs under capitalism are worse than they should be

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah the reason that i like and try to keep my remote job isnt because ive never done lovely restaurant work or manual labor, it's because i have. your job sounds intense but important for society, and i appreciate you and wish your payroll department would feel the same way.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Never? Gosh.

sorry you're too stupid to quit the job you hate then.

don't get mad at others when your problems are of your own making

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Indecisive posted:

there might be other reasons they are doing that job or can’t quit it. just a thought

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Indecisive posted:

lol, what a response

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Getting all aggro at over the "wrong" kinds of workers is dumb as hell. Everyone is getting hosed.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

wait till they find out some people DONT work

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Indecisive posted:

One of those posts where you really can't tell if it's a gimmick because it's hard to believe anyone is this stupid. :allears:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
did we forget to spray for libertarians again?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

shrike82 posted:

i wouldn't worry about it - the video AI to do stuff like measure interview performance or monitor employees are basically scam startup pitches that get media coverage for a bit then disappear after people realize they don't work

fake metrics are still an effective tool to keep people in line because the chances are 90% of people will fail the metrics and managers can use it to browbeat everyone but their favorites instead of saying "whoa it must be wrong"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why don't you just buy a better job, idiot

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I did quit. I'm currently on my way to a computer toucher job (Seattle recs welcome)

I just don't consider myself a ~victim~ that I'm goony enough to reasonably get a WFH nerd job

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

tokin opposition posted:

I did quit. I'm currently on my way to a computer toucher job (Seattle recs welcome)

I just don't consider myself a ~victim~ that I'm goony enough to reasonably get a WFH nerd job

gently caress you, you’re a victim too!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Indecisive posted:

someone has to do the poo poo and vomit job, and frankly I'm more comfortable with someone who hates it than someone who would enjoy it. That would be really weird

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

That's stupid, cause you're still being exploited :shrug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

Never? Gosh.

I don't see the point in fighting over who's getting screwed over the most by capital because surprise it's all of us

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jonny 290 posted:

i'll spoiler a quick cap of the big hitters at the top of the Amazon Explore (sorry i mistook the name) options.

steel thyself

Lots of them are essentially tour guide jobs, except you don't have to physically wrangle a group of fat sweaty foreigners who can't climb stairs. If you were already working as a tour guide that might be a step up.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

straight from deus ex lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume thats this company? https://www.mirror.co/

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/ProtonInspector/status/1527644296836435968

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao at the ad

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

my only regret is there’s no affiliate link to also buy the iPhone and hearing aid to really complete the look

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
couldn't you use the air pods as a hearing aid. I'm sure there is an app

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Rutibex posted:

It’s a built-in accessibility feature.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Rutibex posted:

yeah, at least you'd still hear the amber alerts

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer