Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I mean the post mentions Goldman, the design origin of Judgment, the game Scarlet Dawn, and Sega so

and also flat out mentioning house of the dead lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/Tanzer_Art/status/1527263214219808769?t=1p5OUVf2YV4yGvZAUNjr9w&s=19

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Disposable Scud posted:

I hate his "natural" bullshit he does now.

What are you referring to with this?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think my favorite thing about Silent Hill's voice acting in general is Guy Cihi was only really there because his daughter was auditioning for Laura, and he decided to audition for James basically on a lark (his daughter did not get the role).

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

There was like a full eight page meltdown involving multiple posters in the Cyberpunk thread when they removed the seizure-inducing lights.

Oh I remember that and the race to the bottom which are cyberpunk’s fans. I meant more in a general sense because pretty much every game has one.

Though as others in the thread have pointed out I am a sweet summer child who has missed how loving absolutely dumb capital G gamers are about anything that may benefit folks playing games who aren’t just able bodied teenage boys.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Whenever someone mentions a warning screen I think of the classic Resident Evil one and I smile

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 21, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Are there any good PS3 horror games that aren't the obvious poo poo and yes that includes Siren

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
Shadows of the Damned is like a low 8/10 at best and barely classifies as horror but it's a ride well worth taking if you haven't.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Are there any good PS3 horror games that aren't the obvious poo poo and yes that includes Siren

deadly premonition

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

I wanted a better playing Siren but that remake ain't it. Woof.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I've been working my way through Dread X Collection 5, and I like this set quite a bit. Stand out ones for me are Gallerie which I think is really cool even if it's a mixed bag on some of the actual gamey bits, but probably has the best action of the set for me regardless? We Never Left has some cool atmosphere but the text adventure parser is super picky. Vestige has a neat setup but very quickly grew frustrating and tedious. The one that probably bored me the most was Beyond the Curtain. Protip for anyone playing it: ignore the warning at the beginning that says not to run through everything. As soon as you get bored of the slow walk speed just start running, you're not missing much. Honestly though I found a reason to enjoy every game even if some I didn't like as much as others.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 22, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I watched CJU play through We Never Left and the atmosphere was nice but the entire time I just kept thinking "oh my god just leave already."

Also my fears were confirmed when the note on the fridge said to remember to feed the cat. I was afraid the game was gonna toss a dead cat in and what do you know, you get access to the garage and you find the cat's corpse on display :\

Also kind of real tired of the whole mental illness thing because oh boy, yet another story about a person with mental illness seeing a therapist and they keep insisting they're not harmful, violent, or mentally ill, all while kidnapping and murdering people because they're just so gosh darned mentally ill, they can't help but murder people. Bleh. Good presentation but the content felt lacking.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
even putting aside how harmful such depictions of mental illness are, you'd think at least once it would just be panic attacks, a mental fog, maybe some depression or weird / manic / unhealthy but otherwise harmless tendencies, instead of full blown unknowing murder

just like, for variety's sake

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
how many horror games feature mentally ill victims of legally sane murderers, it's gotta be single digit right

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Albert Wesker was probably perfectly "sane" in a legal sense when he assassinated his mad scientist teacher along with his school chum Willie B, and that kinda kicked off the murders of everyone in and around Raccoon City (minus like 6 or 7 protagonists), so there's four games right there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Depression monster where the monster lays still for the entire game.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Lunatic Sledge posted:

how many horror games feature mentally ill victims of legally sane murderers, it's gotta be single digit right

The Sims.

Yeah I said it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want to see a horror game about the stress of trying to perform what should be easy basic tasks but are made tedious and stressful because of OCD rituals.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

In Sound Mind definitely counts.

Maybe I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FirstAidKite posted:

I want to see a horror game about the stress of trying to perform what should be easy basic tasks but are made tedious and stressful because of OCD rituals.

I'm very surprised no one has made a FNaF copy with that premise.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

There's a part like this in The Cat Lady

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

szary posted:

There's a part like this in The Cat Lady

Are you talking about the part where she makes lunch? That's not OCD, it's her barely holding her poo poo together and then losing it if you make coffee with spoiled milk or blow up her cheeseburger in the microwave.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
You're right, I got too excited about posting and somehow filtered out the part about OCD.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Hard recommend Love, Sam a psychological horror game where you're reading a diary that gets incredibly stalker-y about a girl named Sam following a boy named Brian. You're actually playing as a third person Kyle, a closeted admirer of Brian, who was jealous of perfectly normal Sam getting inbetween him and Brian. The game takes place after accidentally-but-not-really murdering Sam and whether or not to confess as you read your own diary.

Soft recommend Mother a game where you're a pill popping anxious/insomniac mom boarding up her house every night to protect her children from a monster roaming their apartment and killing their neighbors. In a Twilight Zone-y twist the monster is a very real monster you gave birth to and kept chained in the basement leading to your husband's suicide when he discovers what he thought was his miscarried child. Your husband returns as a vengeful spirit to release Tommy and hound yourself, a person who does suffer from insomnia but was clearly misdiagnosed by the doctor and given the wrong prescription. The best ending you're jailed and your children live with their closest relative.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Seconding Love, Sam, it's one of those great little horror games that tells a relatively straightforward story and ends before it can outstay its welcome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FirstAidKite posted:

It wouldn't work as horror, I think, but I'm imagining Cook, Serve, Delicious! except there's extra steps and they're not actually documented in the recipes but must be performed anyway, such that to somebody watching, say, a stream of the game it looks perfectly normal and they don't understand either how much invisible-to-them extra effort you're putting in or why you're apparently making so many easily avoided mistakes.

Although with proper theming I suppose that could work.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Honestly you could probably implement it as something in addition to the horror. Protagonist is already in a horror situation of some kind and the protag also suffers from OCD which causes them to hinder their own attempts to escape from/defeat/survive the threat because of the various rituals they need to perform to prevent from having a full blown panic attack. Then it's up to the player to figure out on their own some good ways to get around the rituals by avoiding what triggers them or learning how best to perform the rituals without sabotaging themself.

OCD is some scary poo poo. Nothing like some barely-controlled compulsions making you do seeming random things because your brain is hooked up in just the wrong way that if you don't do things in increments of 1, 3, 5, and 10, then the world's gonna blow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8TLaXGvMs

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The TEETH scene from the Berenice sequence of The Dark Eye owns

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Playing the Enhanced Edition of Silent Hill 2. drat, what a game. It sucks that every other horror game tries to copy it but the original remains a masterpiece.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looking forward to the Bloober remake improving it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sakurazuka posted:

Looking forward to the Bloober remake improving it

The first time you encounter pyramid head he takes the helmet off and James says OH NO ITS MY FACE then turns to the player and says THE REAL HORROR WAS MY HORNINESS

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

The TEETH scene from the Berenice sequence of The Dark Eye owns
The Dark Eye was ridiculously cool and creepy all over and deserved way more attention. Decades later and I've still never seen anything that nails that level of creeping unease. I put on its reading of The Masque of the Red Death every Halloween when I decorate.

Unfortunately, trying to get it to run is, very appropriately, like pulling teeth.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

The first time you encounter pyramid head he takes the helmet off and James says OH NO ITS MY FACE then turns to the player and says THE REAL HORROR WAS MY HORNINESS

James slowly lowers the pillow over his wife's face, then looks directly into the camera and says "This is because of Hitler."

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

You round a street corner and trigger an event where Laura runs into a wall but you can keep retriggering new Lauras running into the wall

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mix. posted:

You round a street corner and trigger an event where Laura runs into a wall but you can keep retriggering new Lauras running into the wall

The one example of Bloober's work that convinced me they were actually geniuses. Too bad they never managed (or attempted) to replicate it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just remembered the friendly hints monster from koudelka that nobody ever acknowledges even exists

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

Playing the Enhanced Edition of Silent Hill 2. drat, what a game. It sucks that every other horror game tries to copy it but the original remains a masterpiece.

I found a copy of OG Xbox SH2 in a drawer the other day and through sheer overconfidence stuck it into my series X assuming it would work. It did not lol.

Playing some horror games lately.

Just finished Inscryption. Ok maybe this game isn't scary, but thematically it's horror as gently caress. Also so surprising and good I was just kind of sitting there stunned when I finished it. I played it casually for a couple weeks a few months back like "man, what a neat card game with an awesome style" but I missed one thing that stopped me from progressing and forgot about it. Finally came back to it a few days ago and finished the last 2/3rds and I feel like Hideo Kojima would feel challenged by some of the poo poo going on here. What an awesome game.

Played through probably 2.5-3 hours of Dark Pictures anthology:House of Ashes tonight. First off, I did the trial and thought it was cool, so I bought it and it didn't save at all which is maybe one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. I had to replay the first hour by just fat thumbing poo poo in another room while I was cooking dinner just to get back to where I was.

Some of the weirdest control options I have ever seen. You can invert look/aim. But for some reason you can also invert exploration so you walk backwards by pushing up on the left stick. Who plays games like that? yet if you invert look/aim it does not invert flashlight control and there is no way to change this. So if you play inverted the flashlight always goes in the wrong direction making it infuriating to play. idg how things this dumb even happen.

The actual game is...ok. When it's just being an interactive movie it's fine but the parts where you have full control are such a boring slog. You walk slower than a real human in these huge areas just clicking on poo poo until another cutscene happens.

I loved Until Dawn and the UD rail shooter they after it, but their next three games were crap and if this is the "good" one I am probably done with playing Supermassive games after this.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 28, 2022

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I thought house of ashes was the worst one so far but I played them all in succession so maybe I was just burned out on that type of game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

My 14 year old thinks the Dark Pictures games are amazing and that the Curator is the coolest dude. And you know, good for him, it must be nice not to be a jaded misery guts like me going "Oh so the real monster is trauma is it? Hey game, am I the bad guy? Is it me, the player character who is the bad guy? Hmm?"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

My 14 year old thinks the Dark Pictures games are amazing and that the Curator is the coolest dude. And you know, good for him, it must be nice not to be a jaded misery guts like me going "Oh so the real monster is trauma is it? Hey game, am I the bad guy? Is it me, the player character who is the bad guy? Hmm?"

Careful, kids that age are very impressionable. One second he's normal and then bam, he owns a bowler hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Careful, kids that age are very impressionable. One second he's normal and then bam, he owns a bowler hat.

I recommended he listen to the magnus archives and he's loving that so it'll be waistcoats and cassette recorders next.