Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Discendo Vox posted:

That's arguably worse, because it has to rely even harder on AI mechanisms that aren't explained.

That's just how it is, in these strategy games—also most fighting games. You could almost think of it as a case of "Brains vs Brawn".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

Part of the problem is that Melth was trying to fight Sturm head-to-head, despite what a juggernaut he is. But, the other two thing is that he didn't know about how Black Cannons choose between equal-value targets (right-to-left, in the case of the eastern Black Cannon).

Yes, you can predict which Bomber the Black Cannons fire on. For that matter, you can also predict that Sturm's Fighters will go for Bombers with normal Defense, rather than boosted Defense (like what Eagle & Kanbei have). In fact, you can even predict the order in which Sturm's units moves (it goes according to type). Thus, you have the potential for a much easier mission to S-Rank, even if Sturm's Fighter spawns in the middle (as shown here):

Advance Wars 2—Final Front (S-Rank in 9 Days)

Of course, Melth's way was much more interesting—far more climactic.

That's definitely clever, though it sounds less fun to me than a head on fight for the final chapter.

I would have trouble articulating clearly where the line is in my brain between acceptably strategizing around the AI vs exploiting it to a silly degree, but for my own preferences I think that strategy goes too far in exploiting the AI.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Melth posted:

That's definitely clever, though it sounds less fun to me than a head on fight for the final chapter.

I would have trouble articulating clearly where the line is in my brain between acceptably strategizing around the AI vs exploiting it to a silly degree, but for my own preferences I think that strategy goes too far in exploiting the AI.

Gotcha.

On another note, if I was to liken Sturm to a character in a Multi-Player shooter (like Halo)... Would he be like someone who could clip through walls, or someone who could fly? Just trying to think of an apt metaphor for how ridiculous his movement is.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fionordequester posted:

Gotcha.

On another note, if I was to liken Sturm to a character in a Multi-Player shooter (like Halo)... Would he be like someone who could clip through walls, or someone who could fly? Just trying to think of an apt metaphor for how ridiculous his movement is.

Flight's the better metaphor. His units aren't faster, they just ignore terrain.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

Gotcha.

I'd go with noclip as the better metaphor.
And also every minute or two one of his opponents gets auto-hit with a rocket launcher.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

I'd go with noclip as the better metaphor.
And also every minute or two one of his opponents gets auto-hit with a rocket launcher.

:mmmhmm:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
So I've run into a bit of a problem with the video editing software I'd been using (Shotcut).
I've spent the last 2 weeks working on my next AWBW video but now exporting the finished video fails, with a useless error message which has stumped everyone on Shotcut's forums. I've had it with Shotcut, which has been buggy and unstable for years, so I'm going to learn to use some other editing software.

While I get to work on this again in some new software, I'd love if I could salvage any of these weeks of work. Does anyone happen to know of a way to convert Shotcut's project files (.mlt) into xml files another program (such as Da Vinci Resolve) could use?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

Does anyone happen to know of a way to convert Shotcut's project files (.mlt) into xml files another program (such as Da Vinci Resolve) could use?

I do not, sadly. If it helps, Hitfilm Express is the free alternative that I use, though you'd need to use Handbrake to set it to a Constant Framerate, or your footage will desync. Also, it lags like crazy... Dunno if that's my issue, or the software's.

EDIT: That said, I always liked using the "Record Movie" on my Bizhawk first, before then recording the AVI. That way, you've saved the playback (the starting point and inputs) forever—that way you can simply re-record the AVI in cases like this.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 21, 2022

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I got it done with Da Vinci Resolve this time. It should be a great video. Took ages though because it turns out Da Vinci Resolve has some terrifying design decisions, like that if you delete part of any clip, the default behavior is to secretly delete parts of every clip on every other track without asking.

It took me about 6 hours to troubleshoot and repair the damage after the first time I trimmed one of the music tracks!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Melth posted:

I got it done with Da Vinci Resolve this time. It should be a great video. Took ages though because it turns out Da Vinci Resolve has some terrifying design decisions, like that if you delete part of any clip, the default behavior is to secretly delete parts of every clip on every other track without asking.

Huh... Is there a master list of tracks? Like "audio track 1, audio track 2, audio track 3", and etc?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 1: Border Skirmish

The hard campaign doesn't start off that great, taking a previously seen map and turning it into Fog of War guess and check. It gets a lot better from here though.

Melth fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 26, 2022

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 2: Orange Dawn

The first unique hard campaign mission! Very cool and memorable in my opinion

Melth fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 29, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That mission is a pretty good example of what you've been talking about. The terrain makes your only options for hitting that laser an artillery that the laser can shoot first(and will reduce to 1hp afterwards so you'll have to cycle several), hauling a rocket all the way down there, or a battleship (which as shown can be built in range and immediately fire on the laser and can provide ranged support from a position where it doesn't block an advance through the maps many choke points).

And the biggest reason I feel like this is an intended strategy is that there are ports everywhere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think this mission has a rather clever little bit of teaching gameplay, too, with the laser that fires every day. This is not how lasers work in normal mode, but I'm assuming from this that in hard mode they fire every day and will appear in maps where they previously didn't. But the player starts off positioned such that putting a unit or two in what they think is a safe place, unaware of the change in how lasers work, will result in the player getting zapped well before they actually run into Flak's forces and the time limit seems generous enough that getting 5 HP knocked off a unit or two at the start of the map is annoying but not crippling. I think that's good design for organically teaching the player how the rules are changing in hard mode.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Premiering my second collaboration with AdvanceWarrior now: Advance Wars By Web, Second Co-Commentary with AdvanceWarrior

FoolyCharged posted:

That mission is a pretty good example of what you've been talking about. The terrain makes your only options for hitting that laser an artillery that the laser can shoot first(and will reduce to 1hp afterwards so you'll have to cycle several), hauling a rocket all the way down there, or a battleship (which as shown can be built in range and immediately fire on the laser and can provide ranged support from a position where it doesn't block an advance through the maps many choke points).

And the biggest reason I feel like this is an intended strategy is that there are ports everywhere.

I agree, it was a good way to signal to us that we need to use unusual units and play in a way that isn't to Max's strengths

Cythereal posted:

I think this mission has a rather clever little bit of teaching gameplay, too, with the laser that fires every day. This is not how lasers work in normal mode, but I'm assuming from this that in hard mode they fire every day and will appear in maps where they previously didn't. But the player starts off positioned such that putting a unit or two in what they think is a safe place, unaware of the change in how lasers work, will result in the player getting zapped well before they actually run into Flak's forces and the time limit seems generous enough that getting 5 HP knocked off a unit or two at the start of the map is annoying but not crippling. I think that's good design for organically teaching the player how the rules are changing in hard mode.

Yes, it's a good wake-up call about hard campaign (although there was a mission in Normal campaign where lasers fired every turn too)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

"But you can see their fuel!"

It just feels so obvious now and yet I never noticed it. Probably my favorite moment from this one.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 3: Andy's Time

The new black cannon mission is about twice as hard as the original. But 0x2 is still 0.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 4: Test of Time

The lab mission is a lot tougher this time around. Also there's a battleship in a pond. I'm sure this is Flak's fault.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Melth posted:

Hard 4: Test of Time

The lab mission is a lot tougher this time around. Also there's a battleship in a pond. I'm sure this is Flak's fault.

If it wasn't there the lander would have been lonely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Clearly Flak's been hanging out with the Allies from Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 too much.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The other option is that Black Hole uses Cybrex technology and their ships just walk over to the ponds.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Did Flak have any units left besides that lander?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mzbundifund posted:

Did Flak have any units left besides that lander?

Several- in particular, in the north he has these two nasty artillery side by side in a pair of forests. Which means there is no convenient way to reveal one artillery without just getting shot by the other artillery before you can attack. (The only way to solve the problem would be to get an infantry onto each of the adjacent mountains at the same time, which is time consuming and infeasible).

Cythereal posted:

Clearly Flak's been hanging out with the Allies from Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 too much.

Or maybe a Civ 2 AI

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
One of several all-new missions for the hard campaign. Not just the map but the scenario are unique to hard mode.

Hard 5: POW Rescue

Melth fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 9, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Was it intentional that this video has no audio from the game itself?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I hear the audio, but it is quite low and I am wearing headphones.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That was fun to watch, though I can see why it'd be less fun to play.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

Was it intentional that this video has no audio from the game itself?

I've just uploaded a new version with the audio levels changed so the game is easier to hear!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Advance Wars By Web, The Worst Tank

Another tier 2 global league matchup featuring Max vs Eagle

Melth fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 12, 2022

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I always picture you taking copious notes of all your moves and strategies as you play, to go back over for the commentary if nothing else. Is that not the case, with all of these supposed blunders you were making?

You mentioned at one point that your opponent was playing defensively on the north side, do you think you maybe bluffed them a little with the titular worst tank?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Beartaco posted:

I always picture you taking copious notes of all your moves and strategies as you play, to go back over for the commentary if nothing else. Is that not the case, with all of these supposed blunders you were making?

You mentioned at one point that your opponent was playing defensively on the north side, do you think you maybe bluffed them a little with the titular worst tank?

It depends on what you mean by 'bluffed'. The opponent never actually saw that tank as far as I can tell, which is a very good thing. I did realize it was important to keep it secret and to let the opponent just guess what I might have lurking, and I do think that worked.

As for notes, I keep notes about some things (like units I've seen and where they were last spotted) but how much I plan out my moves really varies. In this case I'd thought it through but not written it down. Regardless, I don't think I've played without mistakes in any of my games so far. Every one of them had at least one avoidable mistake of execution, even besides any possible flaws in my strategies to begin with.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Really appreciate the effort, editing and humour that goes into the videos.

Are you anticipating a tougher challenge as you move up the rankings? From your own declarations feels like you're getting away with a lot of errors.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mighty Steed posted:

Really appreciate the effort, editing and humour that goes into the videos.

Are you anticipating a tougher challenge as you move up the rankings? From your own declarations feels like you're getting away with a lot of errors.

Thanks! I've been putting in a lot of time on the editing and whatnot and it's nice to know people notice.

I do expect tougher and tougher opponents as I go up the rankings. In fact, I've played a few GL games against tougher opponents since after that Max vs Eagle game. However, I've been getting stronger and stronger myself. At this point I think I would absolutely crush my past-self from my first few videos.

It's perhaps also true that I am rather hard on my own mistakes and characterize them as huge blunders when some of them are only minor imperfections. I think that some players would not even perceive my moves as mistakes since a lot of them are superficially good moves.

For example, that move on turn 11 where I killed an enemy tank and then built an infantry wall to block all retaliation. That was a pretty clever idea and not everyone would have thought of that formation. I called my infantry vs infantry attack stupid, but it was perfectly reasonable based on what I could see. It was foolish only from the perspective of a person 1) looking ahead into the fog and thinking about the worst case scenario for what could possibly be out there and 2) correctly foreseeing what an opponent could do if they happened to have those worst case scenario units and 3) doing a risk analysis of an immediate small reward vs an improbable catastrophic risk.
I think it would be fair to say that my thinking about that maneuver was strategically more sophisticated than a lot of players, so I was probably too harsh in describing my failure to implement it perfectly as 'stupid'.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Have you ever played https://store.steampowered.com/app/971160/Mbius_Front_83/ ? I was just reminded it existed, and the gameplay loop is basically exactly what you're doing here.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Youtube has started recommending other announced high ranking AWBW matches to me. I've watched a couple of them and it's been interesting. Recently saw one where the winning player ended up building a Drake battleship which was a wtf moment after following this thread.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Youtube has started recommending other announced high ranking AWBW matches to me. I've watched a couple of them and it's been interesting. Recently saw one where the winning player ended up building a Drake battleship which was a wtf moment after following this thread.

That does sound interesting. There are certainly very rare circumstances where that could be the right move I guess. And more common ones where it could be sub-optimal but not fatal.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Found it in my watch history of you want to see: https://youtu.be/OMX4m3Tuo0c

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Found it in my watch history of you want to see: https://youtu.be/OMX4m3Tuo0c

Interesting! I actually played a game against another youtuber on that exact map, Lash vs Kindle (we banned Drake as the obvious, boring best pick).
We didn't end up making a commentary since it turned out to be a pretty lopsided match, but it's interesting to now see these high level players on it.

I would say that in this video, Humblegod had a commanding advantage but then let a win slip through his fingers with two bad moves. Firstly, the rocket on turn 14. There was absolutely no reason that should not have been an MD tank. In fact, even a Neotank was feasible if he'd either joined a single infantry or done a single base skip.

By blind luck, the rocket actually did get a shot on the neotank on a road, which is the best imaginable outcome, but even so it STILL did a lot worse than an MD tank would have. An MD tank would have slammed the neotank and forced a retreat from Ricemuncher who would have had no way to fight it (whereas the rocket was easy prey, as rockets usually are). If Humblegod had had a neotank of his own instead of a rocket, that might have even been game over.

Secondly, on turn 19 Humblegod could see an enemy copter, but inexplicably chose to put his own copter in range of it. This was fatal. Not only did it throw away a copter for nothing, it avoidably gave Ricemuncher enough power gauge to get Tsunami. That Tsunami evened out Humblegod's massive advantage and in fact forced Humblegod to retreat when he could have been surging ahead. That permanently and abruptly turned the tide in Ricemuncher's favor.

I would say that the only reason Humblegod almost squeaked out a win anyway was that Ricemuncher made a giant mistake by building a worthless Battleship.

That Battleship turn could instead have been a Neotank + MD tank turn, meaning 1-2 more strong combat units ready to protect the HQ.

Besides being horribly expensive and unable to fight on the important front, that battleship had to be sailed right into easy vision range of a mountain in order to attack. It was incredibly lucky for Ricemuncher that the ship wasn't spotted.

And even with all that luck, it did basically nothing. Deejus wasn't paying attention when he said it might have paid for itself. It killed 1/2 of a tank and 1.5 infantry. Spending 28000 to deal about 5000 in damage.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thanks for the comments! I figured the rockets and battleship were terrible investments but missed the issue with the bcopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Not technically one of my videos, but AdvanceWarrior just posted this one of a special match we played:

Advance Warrior Final Front 3v1 Special