Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Well no, but- tilt your phone/monitor to the left or right. You can't suddenly see the side of your av's face.

I can see the side of your av's head.

EDIT: lol what a page snipe.

Anyway yeah, I think it depends on context, like TVs where the newscaster would obviously be facing the camera, but for other images not shown more than once in the comic, you can easily justify it as "the picture is just already of someone at an angle".

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 23:17 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DO IT:doit:*crying, tearing off clothe

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Okay a terrible picture but I hope it sort of illustrates the point
Weirdly enough the messed up broken perspective looks better at a glance because our monkey brains know that heads have sides and don't know much about printing 3d objects onto 2d planes viewed in a 3d angle on an actual 2d plane. But if you spent way too long as a kid trying to draw things accurately, it really jumps out at you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tree Bucket posted:

Weirdly enough the messed up broken perspective looks better at a glance because our monkey brains know that heads have sides and don't know much about printing 3d objects onto 2d planes viewed in a 3d angle on an actual 2d plane. But if you spent way too long as a kid trying to draw things accurately, it really jumps out at you.

It took me a bit to figure out what you were saying originally because Heathcliff just looked normal at first in the original, but I get what you're saying. It feels like one of those things that would jump out a lot faster to me if I was looking at them as actual objects that I could rotate a little bit in 3D to see some perspective shift, rather than just a static cartoon drawing.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ditocoaf posted:

I can see the side of your av's head.

EDIT: lol what a page snipe.

Anyway yeah, I think it depends on context, like TVs where the newscaster would obviously be facing the camera, but for other images not shown more than once in the comic, you can easily justify it as "the picture is just already of someone at an angle".

Yeah, it's a totally reasonable shortcut for an artist to take, at least for things like webcomics that no one's going to look at for too long.
On the other hand, golden age Simpsons eps used these perspective rules for things like billboards and tvs to create a weirdly powerful sense of alienation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And the Star Trek TNG Technical Manual just said the viewscreens were 3D and holographic

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Tree Bucket posted:

Well no, but- tilt your phone/monitor to the left or right. You can't suddenly see the side of your av's face.

Yeah, I know that, but-

Tree Bucket posted:

-well, NOW I can.

But while I of all people appreciate somebody putting effort into explaining a basic concept to some tool online, I'm just not seeing it. Like, the issue on the Heathcliff billboard

is that the faces are in partial profile, and the billboard is also seen at an angle, and this makes it... look like you're looking into a 3D box? It's that last part that gets me. Like, is the issue that the angle the faces are seen at is precisely the same as that seen on the faces, which is unlikely?

I feel like the answer I predict would be "Yes, kinda, but there's also natural distortion due to angle/distance, a narrowing of perspective, that's not present"

which is KINDA fair, but it's not like it's a photograph of a billboard with the face of Heathcliff the cartoon cat on it; it's still a cartoon. I'm not sure we've ever seen Heathcliff's face , e.g., dead-on, because the semi-representational nature of a cartoon doesn't work like that; Heathcliff's face is generally drawn the same whether you're viewing it from sixty degrees or forty degrees (because it's not meant to be a precise 2D representation of a 3D Healthcliff object, it's cartoony, which means among other things that the proportional relationship between facial features remains the same among a much broader range of viewing angles, if that makes sense) and that doesn't seem to bother you as much.

It's definitely true that I didn't spend a lot of time as a kid trying to draw things accurately, but neither did the Heathcliff artist, if Heathcliff is any indication. That's not a slam, I'm just saying that basic laws of perspective are loosely enforced at best in most (loosely-drawn, cartoony) comics, and most especially when it comes to character faces.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

I like this

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rex had never seen such bullshit.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Also if no-one starts posting Trixie after brain chip is over I am going to freak out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Someone should post Lies, Sisters and Wives as a palate cleanser first.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Makai no Ossan! Read right to left

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like the central conceit of brain chip is no longer 'parallel universes' but a more generic 'mad scientists'

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i better get another qcs thread out of this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh yeah, I will never say no to cluttering up the leper's colony

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's such a funny gag from a pretty serious plot turn in Makai, holy poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmao

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

ultrafilter posted:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ultrafilter posted:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

well?!??!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zil posted:

I’m in

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

ultrafilter posted:

I need it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

ultrafilter posted:

About time

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ultrafilter posted:

WHAT IS HAPPENING!?

TheMathyFolf
Sep 14, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Oh my goodness, yes please!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ultrafilter posted:

i like bandwagons

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Have to assume the funny talker is Runnie's Replace. Crazy to learn that M-Dude is a Ronnie mind-clone though. Especially since his dad has one too.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ultrafilter posted:

Oh yeah, that's the stuff

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ultrafilter posted:

I’m heading to bed so I’ll take one, please and thank you

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

I can think of nothing I want more for my first probe.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ultrafilter posted:

I like it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theironjef posted:

Have to assume the funny talker is Runnie's Replace. Crazy to learn that M-Dude is a Ronnie mind-clone though. Especially since his dad has one too.

M-dude is described specifically as the outward manifestation of Ronnie's motivation. Presumably something is similar for his dad. (Which, incidentally, is Krampus)

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ultrafilter posted:

Yeah, hit me please

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

ultrafilter posted:

same

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Gonna have to post a few more pages of The Property of Hate to get in a full action sequence. And its explanation at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

ultrafilter posted:

Do it!