Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

before the latest comic I thought to myself "ok snout's drunk, so he's in an altered mind state, and he fell in the water, so this is a blunder into having some lucid dreaming during this arc finally"

but no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It sure looks like the same outfit she's been wearing since the start of the year:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That was the last interaction they had and he hasn't apologized for it that I remember.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I still want to know what that stuff is, since "tastes like seaweed" implies it is not actually seaweed, but why would you make imitation seaweed flavor if you live right next to a place with seaweed? This isn't even like imitation crab where fish is cheaper, or imitation beef/pork for vegetarians.

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't think this story is capable of handling the nuance of a story like that. It can barely handle the sense that not-Snout characters have lives and personality offscreen. Seriously, where did they even go :shrug:

Dominic Deegan has never been capable of anything even remotely resembling nuance, I know that. But more than that I think it's just that Mookie is really poo poo at worldbuilding so he doesn't think about things like "If an oppressed group started a retaliation campaign against those who oppressed them, wouldn't at least some people think they were justified?"

The extent of worldbuilding to him is "This is where x race lives, they eat these foods and do these things to have an economy." We got through most of the "cruise ship" arc in the Deegan classic flashbacks where it was just that. These are the halflings, the women have big boobs and they like beer, but hate jocks who only drink to get drunk. That is all there is to know about the halflings.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

I still want to know what that stuff is, since "tastes like seaweed" implies it is not actually seaweed, but why would you make imitation seaweed flavor if you live right next to a place with seaweed? This isn't even like imitation crab where fish is cheaper, or imitation beef/pork for vegetarians.
In a better comic, it would be like vegan food in reverse. Like it's actually dried fish or something, but made to taste like seaweed because in-universe everyone is vegan by default, so in-universe omnivores have meat-based foods that taste like vegan foods to convert vegans.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

callanians are genuinely terrible, zero redeeming features

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Caphi posted:

That was the last interaction they had and he hasn't apologized for it that I remember.

Why would he have to apologize? Everybody already knows he's Nice.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
snout's hosed up torso makes me unreasonably angry

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

snout's rear end

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

...I don't understand, god help me, I don't understand

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

I miss Regular Show, that was a great series. The world-building was amazing, and the stories were tight. Mookie wishes he could do a fraction of what Regular Show did

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Joe Slowboat posted:

...I don't understand, god help me, I don't understand

Didn't mean to be obtuse; I meant to imply Snout's asymmetrical butt cheek as he sits on the beach resembles Rigby's destroyed rear end cheek, which he injured playing punchies with Skips in some unspecified manner.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I miss Regular Show, that was a great series. The world-building was amazing, and the stories were tight. Mookie wishes he could do a fraction of what Regular Show did

It was the best. They would also regularly create evil golems made of fryer oil, cheat death, and destroy the universe in under 11 minutes. Im many ways, it was the exact opposite of legacy.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Just killin' time doing gently caress and all. Ink Witch is really sold on showing her taint to the world and Arudak pretends he is literally anywhere but here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gonna pretend that they all literally just popped into existence.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lazy copy and pasting

Uncomfortable poses

Drawing dick and balls again for no reason

They literally pop into existence with no changes. What were they doing? How long has it been? Do they even know or care what they're supposed to be doing?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I don't hate the page on its own. But it might be more meaningful if anything had happened prior

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Hostile V posted:

Ink Witch is really sold on showing her taint to the world

Yeah I was gonna say that's a hell of a position for a woman wearing a dress to sit in, though I guess maybe Ink Witch just has no inhibitions? In support of that, she was always quick to strip her clothes off when she was in bed with Snout. Against that, though, we have the fact that we haven't seen her be casually nude at any other point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They aren't shown naked with anyone other than good soft boi Snout because he's the main character and potential love interest and if they were naked around other men they'd be sluts

Like I'm pretty sure that's the only time they've been naked, except for dream stuff

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

...time works the same way.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

SubG posted:

...time works the same way.

lmao

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I only see two balls though?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

I don't hate the page on its own. But it might be more meaningful if anything had happened prior

This is how I feel about it as well, practically nothing has happened that indicated that any of them are friends.
Mookie will occasionally put in a moment like this, but puts in no effort to work his way up too it.

Like when Ink Witch (I still laugh at the fact that's her actual name) is gushing about Kaianda chosing her name.
All we get is Arudak rolling his eyes in a way that just screams "Women, am I right? annnndddd, that's it.
No bonding moment, no talk about why she chose that name or IW bringing up her own name.

It just stops there, and then loving Snout of all people names Ink Witch....Ink Witch.

And how about IW and Arudak, the way they put aside their differences, off camera and with no explanation.

Hell, even when Arudak and Punch Orc were going at it, neither Snout nor IW even tried too intervene, they were too busy providing the audience with exposition.

Most of the interactions are plot related, characters gushing over how nice Snout is, or the rare, awful attempt at comedy.

The actual character moments are very few and far between.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Ink witch and Snout are going to have a lot of sand in their taints

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like how Snout and the person who actually got a name, but I can't be bothered to remember it, just as I can't be bothered to remember the other two's names, don't even acknowledge, in anyway, the new arrivals.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yes - this would have been fine if there was like, any movement at all between panels. Anything to indicate that time has passed. Instead it feels like dimension-hopping. I normally don't care for mookie doing some lazy copy-pasting but it stands out way too much in this page.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you're going to do a vacation arc, wouldn't it be more fun, and more visually interesting to have a cool little side-story that has an arc, rather than like 10 - 15 comics where nothing happens?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

"if you're going to tell a story wouldnt it make sense to have a story"

the question we all ask

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I guess it’s time to take a break from the break we were taking.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So they all worked put their emotional issues offscreen or something I guess. Hope so because Snout was certainly no help

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So they all worked put their emotional issues offscreen or something I guess. Hope so because Snout was certainly no help

What are you talking about?

He solved all of their emotional issues by running away from home to gently caress a bog witch.
This helped them realized that all of their emotional issues were nothing when compared to the idea of them making a grown man sad by not going fishing with him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snout doesn't need to do anything to help his friends because they already know that he's Nice.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The real vomited pond booze was the friends Snout boned along the way!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

RandomPauI posted:

The real vomited pond booze was the friends Snout boned along the way!

We have a winner

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mx. posted:

I don't hate the page on its own.

I do.

It’s supposed to be some sort of “our heros are naturally drawn to each other, and such good friends that they don’t even need to interact to convey their closeness” but it doesn’t work well. Because Mookie is lazy and low-effort, it’s all done by copy-paste, which means the characters are actually completely non-reactive to each other. There is no happy recognition, no show of bond, no accommodation and drawing together, just four people sitting on the beach in silence. Even if the sitting in silence is supposed to show a calm contemplativeness, the complete lack of interaction makes the scene uninteresting and ring false.

What makes it even worse for me is that, while on the surface it’s just boring and uninteresting, it’s built on a bunch of bullshit. These characters don’t have an earned friendship, they just have a lack of conflict because Mookie hates conflict and resolves it as quickly and stupidly as possible. The calm contemplativeness they’re showing isn’t something special because they’ve done nothing but bumble around at their own pace with no constraints or pressures for years now.

It’s a stupid setup where Mookie leans into his worst artistic habits and tries to pretend they’re strengths. “Look at how the characters I’ve cut and pasted are all together! Look at how these characters with little personality and no direction and no story are all at ease with each other! Isn’t this a great, poignant scene? “

I hate it.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
You can feel Mookie's satisfaction with this page. Monday update is a journal entry: "Whatever may come next, my friends and I will face it together." If he didn't suck, it would be at the bottom of this page or something like that, but he'll never pass up the chance for a filler page.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I'm the bingo boy

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The craziest thing, is that he could still have done the copy pasting, by just drawing one additional scene of the previous person greeting the next one. It's a 4 panel black and white comic that he makes 15 grand a year on, like come the gently caress on. And the copy pasting would have even been more thematic, and the calm more obvious. I read a bit of Dominic Deegan in the byob thread, but the only reason I keep up with it is because it makes me feel less bad about what I create. At what point do you stop making your art for fun and start phoning it in.

It's not colored OR shaded! It's black and white, it takes like 2 hours tops.

Also why the gently caress is everything blurry, I read the comic and cleaned my glasses because I assumed something HAD to be wrong with my vision.

Disregard, there actually was a smudge on my glasses.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 21, 2022

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I admit this comic got so tedious in march that, along with some work stuff that took precedence, I dropped off following it without even realizing lol. Glad to have caught up and realized I missed exactly nothing.

Chapter 24: Around the World Part 8: The Semashi Kingdom

Semashi, along with being the "non-white" portion of humanity in Deegan verse, are obviously a catchall culture of southern European stereotypes. Except their buildings have fluted rooves like Japanese pagodas. It's quite clear that Mookie based this on every superficial piece of knowledge about the region circling around American nerd circles at the time. For instance:

The Commedia del Musica is obviously a refernce to Commedia dell'arte, but the reference is only to the title really. Like most of Mookie's shoutouts, it's very shallow and ultimately meaningless. Of course, token liberal idea of diversity, which is not in itself bad but is at this point just Mookie smugly patting himself on the back for making his non Callan cultures "progressive".

Two art notes: - That dude is playing a violin with a sword.
- Of course the lady had to have her but showing in the dancing scene. Not profile either, despite her face, but the full 3/4 both cheeks view.

Again, this dirty dancing/tango thing is fine, but very stereotypical, and is all the more funny for being Mookie's only other human culture. Of course, the addition of a "Dance-off" portion is very mid 2000s, and also again, bordering a little bit on the problematic since Semashis are the only non-white humans. I bring this up because, while it is true that the Semashi are not based on black American or African culture, they are uniformly depicted as the same shade of dark brown when Mookie colours them in. You'll see that later here. It's really clear that these are Mookie's attempt to include "PoC"s in his setting.

Of course, this wouldn't be a Deegan story if douchebag bigots didn't show up to once again force the spotlight back onto the main two.

I remember when this was live, that at this point people were super angry that Mookie was about to give his Gary Stu magic dancing abilities. I still believe that's what Mookie intended, but he chickens out at the last second, and instead

And proceeds to make a huge rear end of himself, but of course everybody is on the side of poor handicapped Dominic. In any other comic, this would seem incredibly condescending, but Mookie means it sincerely. Bonus points that in panel 7 Luna full on calls dominic a cripple in the narration.

But Mookie wants you to understand that Dominic really was an amazing dancer. It was really just the leg that did him in. Even here, Mookie can't stand the idea of his special boy being bad at anything.

And of course, everybody loves the Deegans now, the rumor mill apparently working like Mookie's brain and being incapable of anything but heaping praise on them.

Dominic continues his reputation for grace and tact...

This was mildly interesting at the time, but it literally ends here and leads nowhere. It even looks like Dominic was going to be able to call Archangelo a friend, but that squibs out in the best way possible (for mocking).

I don't even know what Mookie was going for here. It's like he was looking for a way to absolve Scarlatti of wrongdoing, but wouldn't the illusion have been enough? Why is the fact that he was "unaware" somehow determining whether or not what occurred was murder. And also, were the actually possessed or not? The resistant metal thing makes it seem like what Scarlatti saw was real, and that his friends would have tried to kill him if he didn't defend himself.

Totally unneeded extra compliment to Dominic here.

LOL WHAT? This strip is one of those that stands out strongly in my memory. Because either Mookie literally changed his mind on a plot point halfway through making the strip, or he was trying to pull at the readers' heartstrings again for poor little Dominic. See, he's not perfect! Archangelo said so! See things don't always go his way! There you big meanies!

And we end this with the strip illustrating my point above, which is that the Semashi are uniformly depicted as having one marker tone of dark brown skin.

E; I just realized that he has a few mildly different skin tones in the strip of Dominic posing above. So 2-3 shades of brown really. Regardless, Semashia is really "Ibero-Italian Nonwhiteistan"

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 21, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Beelzebufo I love you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

The craziest thing, is that he could still have done the copy pasting, by just drawing one additional scene of the previous person greeting the next one. It's a 4 panel black and white comic that he makes 15 grand a year on, like come the gently caress on. And the copy pasting would have even been more thematic, and the calm more obvious. I read a bit of Dominic Deegan in the byob thread, but the only reason I keep up with it is because it makes me feel less bad about what I create. At what point do you stop making your art for fun and start phoning it in.

It's not colored OR shaded! It's black and white, it takes like 2 hours tops.

Also why the gently caress is everything blurry, I read the comic and cleaned my glasses because I assumed something HAD to be wrong with my vision.

Disregard, there actually was a smudge on my glasses.

absolute samesies