Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Why does the commonwealth of man always show up when I play with my custom united earth? Its annoying really. I want to play with just my own custom empires.

Anyway I had a bizzarly good start when they appeared three systems away from my homeplanet. I quickly had a fleet on their capital border and just took it. That was a fun boost to my game.

Sadly I realised I had put the difficulty on escalating. So my first few years have been pathetically easy. I've been hobbling myself and just not expanding very much :(

If you modify the United Nations Earth, their special flag gets carried over to your new nation.

Just make a new nation from scratch (you can still select to start in the sol system with earth and all that) to not have that flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Is there a good guide on optimizing your economy and research? I feel like I am not hitting the marks as far as research benchmarks and resource production. I already realized that building a gene clinic first on each planet was a terrible idea.

It's hard to give numbers to aim for because exact needs will vary a lot according to empire type and game settings. If you're feeling behind relative to the AI, are you sure it's not one of the advanced start ones that have their own slider in the game settings? You're expected to be playing catch-up against those.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Torrannor posted:

Not at all, the difficulty choice is what you're scaling to. If you set it to commodore, you start at the easiest difficulty, and it ramps up over time to commodore. If you set it to grand admiral, you still start at the easiest and it scales up to grand admiral.

To clarify, you start at Ensign (you and AI regular empires get no bonuses, crises/amoebas/etc still get some) and scale to the selected difficulty. You don't start at Cadet (which would give you +50% job output and some other stuff).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
When does it scale?

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Gort posted:

When does it scale?
I think whenever you designate the change to mid/late game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think it scales annually?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This game still seems to use the automation through sectors where you have to put resources into buckets the automators pull from. Is that the case? I don't see any options or working mods to change it.

Have they ever indicated this will get changed? I know pure automation could gently caress me over with too many expensive buildings or something but by mid game I just want to put everything on auto and have it only bother me when its a problem. Auto construction ships would go a long ways towards alleviating mid-late game tedium but planets represent the other big source.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Not at all, the difficulty choice is what you're scaling to. If you set it to commodore, you start at the easiest difficulty, and it ramps up over time to commodore. If you set it to grand admiral, you still start at the easiest and it scales up to grand admiral.

Good to know, thanks

___

Anyway I'm glad to see that science ship automation will be available from the start, automated construction ships will be great too. This should hopefully lessen the early game information overload somewhat. I've often found myself completely forgetting the various plans and/or schemes I've got going on, due to the sheer enormity of pop-ups and events the game throws at me in the first several decades, which can be very frustrating. Maybe I should just ignore every single anomaly until I've expanded to my empire's natural borders (chokepoints) or wait until I'm 10 years in, something like that. Losing out on those early resource and research boosts might legitimately be worth it if it stops the brain fog from seeping in.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The research boosts scale as you grow - I always sit on anomalies until my borders are set, and then I get 2k to 10k research bonus rewards from them.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Okay for real, what the gently caress does it take to survive the early game.

I'm playing as clone soldiers, with mining guilds and Fanatic Egalitarian, on Captain. I build literally nothing but mining and industrial districts. It is not mechanically possible to produce alloys any faster than I already am, and the AI STILL has better fleet power than me. Whether I survive is 100% dependent on the attitude of my nearest neighbor, and even that might not be enough depending on what my other neighbors get up to. I always lose twice as many ships as the enemy even when the fleets are similarly sized AND I have a starbase with gun batteries backing mine up.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
In that case, try playing on a way lower difficulty and/or uninstall starnet, because that mod is all about corvette rushing your sorry rear end.

Oh, and also build Strongholds.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Hangar bays are tier 1 or 2 tech now so I make it a point to grab it early to throw on my border starbases. Seems to do a reasonable job of scaring off hostile empires.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The big use for hangar bays is trade protection, they are very very good at that. Static defenses still remain close to useless in the game, the tracking bug has made them even worse. I didn't notice anything about tracking in the hotfix notes though :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The big use for hangar bays is trade protection, they are very very good at that. Static defenses still remain close to useless in the game, the tracking bug has made them even worse. I didn't notice anything about tracking in the hotfix notes though :(

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Apparently they didn't fix the regenerating leviathan bug yet tho.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Okay for real, what the gently caress does it take to survive the early game.

I'm playing as clone soldiers, with mining guilds and Fanatic Egalitarian, on Captain. I build literally nothing but mining and industrial districts. It is not mechanically possible to produce alloys any faster than I already am, and the AI STILL has better fleet power than me. Whether I survive is 100% dependent on the attitude of my nearest neighbor, and even that might not be enough depending on what my other neighbors get up to. I always lose twice as many ships as the enemy even when the fleets are similarly sized AND I have a starbase with gun batteries backing mine up.

Certainly uninstall StarNet if you're using as Yami Fenrir says, but what's missing here is an appreciation of how important early techs are. If you have any of the tier 2 weapons and components your corvettes are much better than tier 1s, which is why the AI's fleet power is higher. You should also be buying alloys a great deal in the early game, as initial production will never be high enough to meet demand.

My normal opener is to build a second research lab on my home world and have my first colony have an Industrial designation building exclusively industrial districts and my second a tech designation building just labs. You should get enough minerals from space to feed this machine, and your third colony can be rural with an initial focus on agriculture. Sell any excess resources and plow the money into alloys.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I recall reading that even the first set of combat computers makes guns on defense platforms much better since computers give +fire rate and whatever bonuses, which don't work for strike craft.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I wouldn't call them useless - strike craft are great at shredding corvettes and the early game is all corvette spam after all. Once you're past that phase their value starts diminishing but it'll have bought you time to bulk up which is the important thing, nobody is recommending you skip your fleet entirely.

My usual strategy also skips torpedo and kinetic techs entirely for most of the game to keep my engineering tech tree streamlined, so gun batteries are worse than usual. This gets me up to carriers/battleships more quickly and reliably, at which point we're back to strike craft as our main armament right before proton launchers show up. Energy weapons are particularly good against wildlife because they don't have shields so I don't feel the loss of shield damage unless I get dragged into an early war, but even then ships have more armor/hull than shields so it generally works out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A few days ago I discovered that larger map sizes past 2000 stars kept freezing while loading map graphics - when the 3.4 update arrived. I was able to contact a dev on the modding discord and state my case.

Today the issue has been fixed and mentioned in the most recent hotfix. I did it!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Aethernet posted:

Certainly uninstall StarNet if you're using as Yami Fenrir says, but what's missing here is an appreciation of how important early techs are. If you have any of the tier 2 weapons and components your corvettes are much better than tier 1s, which is why the AI's fleet power is higher. You should also be buying alloys a great deal in the early game, as initial production will never be high enough to meet demand.

My normal opener is to build a second research lab on my home world and have my first colony have an Industrial designation building exclusively industrial districts and my second a tech designation building just labs. You should get enough minerals from space to feed this machine, and your third colony can be rural with an initial focus on agriculture. Sell any excess resources and plow the money into alloys.

On a more luck-based note, if you bump into the salvagers, absolutely throw money at them to get corvette fleets from them, it's way cheaper than trying to buy the alloys to build an equivalent number of corvettes yourself. Early on they can be the only thing stopping the AI from seeing you as an easy target. Where my last game had me surrounded by xenophiles, in this one it's all xenophobes all the time, even the FE. The salvagers are probably the only reason I'm still in the game because first contact was early and it's been pretty chilly on the diplomacy front ever since.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FuzzySlippers posted:

This game still seems to use the automation through sectors where you have to put resources into buckets the automators pull from. Is that the case? I don't see any options or working mods to change it.

Have they ever indicated this will get changed? I know pure automation could gently caress me over with too many expensive buildings or something but by mid game I just want to put everything on auto and have it only bother me when its a problem. Auto construction ships would go a long ways towards alleviating mid-late game tedium but planets represent the other big source.
The most fire and forget option is you can send X minerals and Y energy per month into the shared pool and leave it at that. I'd like if you could set that to a percentage.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Splicer posted:

The most fire and forget option is you can send X minerals and Y energy per month into the shared pool and leave it at that. I'd like if you could set that to a percentage.

Very yes. Either a percentage of net income, or something like "Everything in excess of 25k/300 per month" or something would be very useful. "Shove all wasted resources due to storage cap into automation" would be a good default.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phosphine posted:

Very yes. Either a percentage of net income, or something like "Everything in excess of 25k/300 per month" or something would be very useful. "Shove all wasted resources due to storage cap into automation" would be a good default.
Oh dang that's a good one.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A nice QOL would be toggles to shove resources into other bins like sectors or to the market automatically. What if you have too much energy (lol), well go spend it or something, you've probably won the game anyway at that point.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Question regarding the Lost Colony start: Is it possible to have multiple lost colony factions that share the same homeworld? I.e. if I wanted to create 4 human factions with Lost colony as their start, does that spawn 4 different advanced human empires/Sols or would they all share the same Sol system original homeworld?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
One way to test it would be to create the four empires by editing the CoM empire and then saving it as a new empire each time. They should all inherit the flags that make them force-spawn UNoE in the game also then. I'm pretty sure the Stellaris is smart enough to only spawn UNoE once even if you force-spawn all four CoM-derived empires in the game (All the different solar system definitions for variants of Sol have a set of shared flags that define it is The sol system).

I think the following would be required for the CoM-derivates for them to qualify however:
The human races needs to be unchanged from the default, including portrait and climate preferance.
Origin needs to remain Lost Colony
Starting system selection will need to be set to a random system (They can't all spawn in Deneb). Unsure however if the UNoE force-spawn is contingent upon starting in Deneb however. If it is, you may have to mod in multiple variants of the Deneb solar system selection.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 20, 2022

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

A better market interface that lets you set simple rules like “sell any food over cap” or “buy alloys with any energy over cap” would be nice.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

so I'm looking for something and the answer might be that I should just play Aurora 4X, but I'd like something to make Stellaris play a bit slower or maybe a bit more in-depth within individual star systems. There was long ago a mod that started the game in 2100, pre-FTL travel, and had you tooling around your own star system for a while as you researched up the various starter techs. This is now long out of date but I don't know if there's anything like that any more.

Really some kind of mod or combination of mods that adds a lot more stuff to systems, along with way more options for inhabiting things that are currently uninhabitable (like asteroids), and then probably also a mod to make systems much bigger so it takes longer to fly across them.

I had a look on the Steam workshop and didn't find exactly what I was after, but there's so many origin mods or reworks out there that I just don't know if this is covered in some other mod I've overlooked. Any thoughts? Or do I just want a different game?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

shas posted:

so I'm looking for something and the answer might be that I should just play Aurora 4X, but I'd like something to make Stellaris play a bit slower or maybe a bit more in-depth within individual star systems. There was long ago a mod that started the game in 2100, pre-FTL travel, and had you tooling around your own star system for a while as you researched up the various starter techs. This is now long out of date but I don't know if there's anything like that any more.

Really some kind of mod or combination of mods that adds a lot more stuff to systems, along with way more options for inhabiting things that are currently uninhabitable (like asteroids), and then probably also a mod to make systems much bigger so it takes longer to fly across them.

I had a look on the Steam workshop and didn't find exactly what I was after, but there's so many origin mods or reworks out there that I just don't know if this is covered in some other mod I've overlooked. Any thoughts? Or do I just want a different game?

real space can cover the "inhabit uninhabitable things" and "much bigger systems" portions of that. you'll have to find something else to disable FTL until a tech is researched or whatever tho. you can also use planetary diversity's planetary habitats in place of the real space planetary stations module if you prefer its features; otherwise you can use both planetary diversity and real space together, except their planet colonization submods.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Slashrat posted:

One way to test it would be to create the four empires by editing the CoM empire and then saving it as a new empire each time. They should all inherit the flags that make them force-spawn UNoE in the game also then. I'm pretty sure the Stellaris is smart enough to only spawn UNoE once even if you force-spawn all four CoM-derived empires in the game (All the different solar system definitions for variants of Sol have a set of shared flags that define it is The sol system).

I think the following would be required for the CoM-derivates for them to qualify however:
The human races needs to be unchanged from the default, including portrait and climate preferance.
Origin needs to remain Lost Colony
Starting system selection will need to be set to a random system (They can't all spawn in Deneb). Unsure however if the UNoE force-spawn is contingent upon starting in Deneb however. If it is, you may have to mod in multiple variants of the Deneb solar system selection.

Ok so after some testing here's what I found:
  • Creating a new species with Human Portraits and preferences but random system and lost colony, where only that empire spawns, will also spawn a randomized Sol-System with random ethics, leadership, and flag.
  • Creating a new species with Deneb as your starting system will cause the UNE to spawn as your parent.
  • Creating new species and mixing them in with any Deneb starting species will for the UNE to spawn as the parent for all human species.
  • Forcing a UNE alternative to spawn will spawn the alternative as an advanced empire instead of the default UNE and be the advanced empire for any lost colonies. This includes for CoM.
  • Creating a human species that doesn't have the Lost Colony start will still generate an Earth/Sol empire, however it will not be an advanced empire.

This works pretty well for what I wanted to create, which was Freelancer style start with multiple human factions and an Imperial, militaristic Earth faction.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

There is a central bucket where you can dump resources, you don't need to do individual sector by sector budgets. It's on the sector overview screen (F4)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Imperial Fiefdom origin is really cool but is there any way to also customize your overlord? For example set up a whole Imperial human empire with earth in the centre and everyone else various human colonies?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Haven't played since 3.1 or 2, have they made combat more interesting than "stack battleships"?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I wasn't sure where else to look into this, and it is an issue with a modded save, but has anyone else had issues with crashes whenever you either go to the negotiate agreement screen or your subject/a civilization accepts or denies a proposal? I've had no other issues since the update, and I am sure it has to do with a mod conflict, but is anyone aware of any specific ones that cause issues (if this was generally addressed already I apologize)? I have all DLC available on Steam except the galaxy edition upgrade and the free e-book, and I can send a list of mods (in the order they load) if someone would like or post it here, I just didn't want to take up space with a really long post.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 20, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Nucleic Acids posted:

I wasn't sure where else to look into this, and it is an issue with a modded save, but has anyone else had issues with crashes whenever you either go to the negotiate agreement screen or your subject/a civilization accepts or denies a proposal? I've had no other issues since the update, and I am sure it has to do with a mod conflict, but is anyone aware of any specific ones that cause issues (if this was generally addressed already I apologize)? I have all DLC available on Steam except the galaxy edition upgrade and the free e-book, and I can send a list of mods (in the order they load) if someone would like or post it here, I just didn't want to take up space with a really long post.

I haven't experienced it myself, but it sounds similar to what some people were reporting about the UI Overhaul Dynamic mod. It's possible you have a UI-mod that didn't get updated properly or some other outdated mod that doesn't interact well with the new negotiation screens.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
After one of my allies suddenly told me they're my vassal now, I got some quality time trying out the new content.

Turns out my new vassals were cheeky bastards who dragged their own subject into this mess and "generously" donated 30% of their subject's basic income to me. :allears:

After renegotiating, the tiny 1-planet subject has now less insane terms and an Aid Agency to "help" them boost my unity-income.

My main vassal meanwhile has that, plus a holding that eats their unity and turns it into my influence. To top it off, by min-maxing the other terms I managed to turn what is a rather small chunk of my total research into my vassal being actually glad that I'm forcing them to pay me a tithe (in even more influence).

Ha ha, and I thought I would have trouble getting enough influence to build hyper relays everywhere I want to

When I'm getting to the end-game point where all my basic income is effectively infinite, I'll definitely try to min-max my vassals into even more glorious unity/influence generators. :v:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

AG3 posted:

I haven't experienced it myself, but it sounds similar to what some people were reporting about the UI Overhaul Dynamic mod. It's possible you have a UI-mod that didn't get updated properly or some other outdated mod that doesn't interact well with the new negotiation screens.

Right now the only mods I have active that don't show as up to date are Interplanetary Agriculture, Real Sol Textures, and Real Space. It still crashed on entering the Negotiate agreement screen with Real Space disabled, and I am assuming it probably is UI Overhaul Dynamic. and I'm still seeing reports of this pop up (the mod creator seems pretty defensive about this), was any kind of work around found?

I know I can just disable it, but I can only assume that would gently caress up other mods. Could load order matter here?

Edit: Even disabling UI Overhaul Dynamic didn't fix it.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 21, 2022

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Omnicarus posted:

This works pretty well for what I wanted to create, which was Freelancer style start with multiple human factions and an Imperial, militaristic Earth faction.

heh this makes me wonder how long ago it was that I burned out on X3 Terran Conflict, and whether X4 has made it out of egosoft re-re-rework hell

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does the tracking fix in the hotfix need a new game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Anyone else finding the Subterranean origin to be...really, really lovely? At least for non-lithoids? The idea is that you can use your habitability floor to colonize anything you come across, but even with 50% habitability you're looking at pops that grow 45% slower (counting the penalty from the racial trait), need 50% more upkeep, produce 25% less resources and drive up your unity and tech costs with increased sprawl. Then the increased build cost, while not a huge deal later, slows your already glacial early game even further.

I really like the playstyle it encourages but it feels like a trap that slowly guts your economy no matter what you do.