Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sailormoon posted:

What's the biggest wearos watch

Ticwatch Pro 3 (at least currently made.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It ain't that big

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Side by side with a 40mm Apple Watch and 46mm Galaxy Watch 4 Classic.

https://i.imgur.com/qRxVv6s_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Size looks kinda ok there, but it could be the shadow tricking me and the lack of lugs will probably still make it look small on the wrist.

Also, it does not appear to use normal Qi charging as the battery has died and the person that has it hasn't been able to revive it with any chargers they have tried.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bull3964 posted:

It does without a question. There are images of them in that link.

It honestly feels very Fitbit more than watch to me. At fitbit that will crack the first time you hit it off of something.

Seriously, one close call with a door frame or one flubbed wrist clasp and that watch is probably toast.

Now, if google wows us and announces it's actual sapphire or something, I'll change my tune. But I seriously doubt it.

The wristbands are just fitbit infinity bands. I don't get it, doesn't google own fitbit? Why don't they just go all in on fitbits? Fitbit already has a bigger marketshare than an unproven new smartwatch produced by a notoriously flaky company that abandons whatever they're doing pretty quickly

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Google engineers get paid more if they make something new that takes off as opposed to improving something existing and that getting big.

It's why they've made a dozen chat apps and made YouTube Music instead of improving Google Play Music and etc etc...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Humerus posted:

Google engineers get paid more if they make something new that takes off as opposed to improving something existing and that getting big.

It's why they've made a dozen chat apps and made YouTube Music instead of improving Google Play Music and etc etc...

I always feel a little nervous when I like and start to rely on a Google product. Keep is a great notes and reminder app, but it seems like just the sort of project Google would lose interest in and vaporize.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Humerus posted:

As much as I'd love this to be true, it's not unfortunately. Google just allows (and sometimes encourages) people to shift around into new teams or roles every few years - sometimes it leads to great innovation, and sometimes the exact opposite.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

It's not like it had to be either or. The lack of a larger option just kills it for me.

Multiple leakers are saying there will be:

https://twitter.com/heyitsyogesh/status/1519181042799632384

https://twitter.com/chunvn8888/status/1519277145914179584

Though only way to know for sure is to wait two weeks.

Calaveron posted:

The wristbands are just fitbit infinity bands. I don't get it, doesn't google own fitbit? Why don't they just go all in on fitbits? Fitbit already has a bigger marketshare than an unproven new smartwatch produced by a notoriously flaky company that abandons whatever they're doing pretty quickly

Despite the design language similiarity the bands have a different connector to the Versa 3/Sense so doesn't seem like they'll be interoperable.

quote:

I don't get it, doesn't google own fitbit? Why don't they just go all in on fitbits? Fitbit already has a bigger marketshare than an unproven new smartwatch produced by a notoriously flaky company that abandons whatever they're doing pretty quickly

I think given the general uncertainity around getting the Fitbit acquistion past regulators (the deal was only finalized in January 2021) it made total sense at the time for the Pixel Hardware team to hedge their bets and greenlight their own Wear OS 3 reference device given engineering timeframes. While they could've branded it a "Fitbit" anyway, I think the Nest -> Google Home debacle informed their decision not to. Worst comes to worst they can always pull a Nest Hub and out of the blue say "your Pixel Watch is now Fitbit Pixel".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That "limited release" thing concerns me. I'm so tired of competing to purchase products.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Get used to it. I bet its here to stay.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else with a Watch4 have trouble checking for updates via the phone app? It constantly tells me it can't check for updates and to make sure I'm connected to wifi or Bluetooth.

Edit: apparently restarting the watch fixes that. Weird.

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 29, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I regularly need to restart my watch4 and every 6 months or so I do a factory reset. It starts to develop some weird behaviors like the aod not working.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Current leaks have the Pixel watch having ECG and exynos chipset.

I think it's pretty much going to be a galaxy watch 4 mainboard with more storage grafted with Fitbit Charge 5 sensors.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

Current leaks have the Pixel watch having ECG and exynos chipset.

I think it's pretty much going to be a galaxy watch 4 mainboard with more storage grafted with Fitbit Charge 5 sensors.

This sounds pretty good to me.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Doesn't the Watch 4 have more reliable sensors than the latest Fitbits? I've seen a bunch of posts on Reddit and other tech sites about Fitbit over counting steps, messing up HR, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UncleGuito posted:

Doesn't the Watch 4 have more reliable sensors than the latest Fitbits? I've seen a bunch of posts on Reddit and other tech sites about Fitbit over counting steps, messing up HR, etc.

It does not, actually.

Also, focusing on the sensors rather than the algorithm isn't really the right approach. Bad data rejection plays a much larger role in accuracy than raw input. It is largely speculated that Apple's accuracy is less about the hardware and more about a better ML algorithm that rejects bad reads and extrapolates good ones.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My neurosis over battery has cost me. 4% was what was left on my ticwatch pro 3 before leaving for work this morning. Could have just left it home on the charger, but I have another here. Forgot to take it off and put it on charge when I got in the office, and had to head out again immediately. Ended up bumping the watch off something, hardly the first time, but it left a dark blip from the impact right near the 18 second mark. Well out of warranty. Touch doesn't seem to be affected. If only I'd just left the drat thing at home for once.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Against my better judgement I was really starting to believe the Pixel Watch was going to launch soon, but my suspicions were confirmed with a fall launch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung announced that since the launch of the GW4, there are now 3 times the number of active WearOS users than before.

That really puts it into perspective why Google threw everything at Samsung to jump start this. In a single generation with a single hardware release, they trippled what Fossil has been chipping away at for multiple years across tons of style brands.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Screw the watch, it looks like they are finally doing something with the North IP that they bought.

Watches always felt like a stopgap to AR, I had been fully intending to buy the new version of Focals that were supposed to be announced very soon before Google bought them and canceled all their products.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up that they'd pull an Apple and have the Pixel watch on the market in the next week, but yet here we are, weirdly disappointed.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
The Google Health closure/org reshuffle from a few months back seems to have caused a significant pivot from the original "Fitbit are working on Wear OS devices" plan from last year, because the Fitbit CEO is now in charge of wearables across Google and has reformed things in his image:

quote:

Do you see the Pixel Watch being [an indicator of] the future direction for Fitbit's watches?

I think the way it all works together is really about price and feature set. I see Pixel Watch as being for the user who wants LTE and all the advanced health and fitness features, but there's always going to be people for whom some of that stuff isn't necessarily important. For them, a tracker with the most advanced health capabilities is going to be the device that they want, which is our Charge device -- it has all the latest health sensors, is slim, and has long battery life. The great thing about combining Pixel and Fitbit is that we're able to collectively offer these different devices. People can pick and choose what's best for them.

quote:

Will your Sense and Versa watches continue to be part of the future?

Some of the advantages of Sense and Versa will always continue. Those devices and the trackers have always had incredible battery life; they've been at fairly accessible prices for people. Those will continue to be very important.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/fitbits-founder-on-the-google-pixel-watch-and-the-future-of-fitbit/

i.e. Doesn't seem like they're going to Google things up by releasing competing square Wear OS watches against the Pixel Watch. Instead they'll dedicate the "App smartwatch" category to the Pixel brand and have Fitbit hardware cover everything else.

Also lol:

quote:

I was curious about Google Fit. Do you see Fitbit and Fit working together more on the Pixel Watch?

I think for now, Google Fit and the Fitbit app are just going to continue as is -- I don't think we want to interrupt the experience for either set of users. Both user groups, which are fairly substantial, like the app they are using for a variety of reasons. For now, we don't see any reason to change that.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Samsung announced that since the launch of the GW4, there are now 3 times the number of active WearOS users than before.

That really puts it into perspective why Google threw everything at Samsung to jump start this. In a single generation with a single hardware release, they trippled what Fossil has been chipping away at for multiple years across tons of style brands.

The good thing about that is that now that Samsung is inboard with Wear OS, Google has less reasons to abandon Wear OS (again) if, or likely when, the Pixel Watch flops.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They are also getting contributions from Samsung along the way. Health Connect was developed with them.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

9to5 Google posted:

Leave it to leaks to pour some rain on the parade, as 9to5Google is reporting that the Pixel Watch won’t be using a custom-designed Tensor SoC or even Samsung’s latest Exynos W920 processor. Instead, the source states that the Pixel Watch is powered by Samsung’s Exynos 9110 chipset, which first debuted in 2018 alongside the original Galaxy Watch.

It's really breathtaking how badly Google doesn't want people to use Wear watches.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It honestly makes sense considering this hardware probably was designed at the same time as the GW3. This thing as been baking for a looooong time.

The software has been the holdup.

GW5 is going to be the wearable to get this year just like the GW4 was last year.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
How did they drop the ball so bad on this, the pixel watch is hideous and years out dated even before release. Why a round screen? Round is an awful form factor for a smart watch and they should know this. Goon upthread or in another thread put it the most succinctly that it's like reading your messages through a porthole

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have no interest a square smartwatch.

Also, if Google would have gone square, all you would hear is "Google is shamelessly copying Apple."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My smartwatches are round and they're fine. :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I have no interest a square smartwatch.

Also, if Google would have gone square, all you would hear is "Google is shamelessly copying Apple."

Yeah, I hope they copy Apple in almost every other way except keep it round

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm another one who prefers round.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Calaveron posted:

the pixel watch is hideous and years out dated even before release.

This is the google design philosophy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Legit question, why? On the renders showing text messages on the screen the messages were only readable once they reached the center of the watch and not a moment sooner or later. Plus the giant bezels make it feel like when you're trying to focus a microscope for the first time

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Because a watch is a fashion accessory as much as it is anything else and a black square is terminally boring.

I mean, this is sort of why I dislike the Pixel watch myself, the design is too minimalist.

I'm not reading loving War and Peace on the thing. It's for quick interactions and the round display doesn't hinder that at all.

I mean, it's the same reason why round watches continued to exist after the LCD watch was invented. It's an asthetic choice and it's one I prefer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think the only square watch I ever owned was a calculator watch when I was 13 or so and hopelessly nerdy.

Aside from being like a centimeter tall my Ticwatches look like pretty normal watches with the bands I put on them.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Calaveron posted:

How did they drop the ball so bad on this, the pixel watch is hideous and years out dated even before release. Why a round screen? Round is an awful form factor for a smart watch and they should know this. Goon upthread or in another thread put it the most succinctly that it's like reading your messages through a porthole

Calaveron posted:

Legit question, why? On the renders showing text messages on the screen the messages were only readable once they reached the center of the watch and not a moment sooner or later. Plus the giant bezels make it feel like when you're trying to focus a microscope for the first time

Going Round isn't pure downside, it's a tradeoff.

A Round watchface trades slightly worse information density in listviews for aesthetically superior Watchface & Widgets, and since the later is where the majority of smartwatch "interaction" takes place the choice between Round vs Square isn't really cut and dry. Good smartwatch experiences aren't information dense to begin with and center interactive parts, so the line or so information loss isn't fatal in practice.

As for the Pixel's bezel, existing round watches e.g. Garmin Venu, Galaxy Watch 4 do a better job at hiding necessary display driver tech via decoration compared to Google's renders. In actual use, it will probably be akin to the iPhone X+ notch where it becomes invisible in every day use unless you go out of your way to look for it. Though not denying it would've been impressive if they did somehow leapfrog the industry with an Edge to edge to display which made it look like a Ressence Type 3:

Also the "Watch has 4 year old chip, it's doomed!!!" story seems to have evolved into "Google's making Tensor for watches, using Samsung's prev gen watch chip the same way they used a previous gen Samsung chip for phones. Maybe it's good???" https://9to5google.com/2022/05/20/pixel-watch-ram-co-processor-specs/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

Because a watch is a fashion accessory as much as it is anything else and a black square is terminally boring.
And yet, it's terminally popular.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Outside of the Apple Watch?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

So is the iPhone, but I'm not clamoring for a notch return on Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Have you possibly considered the apple watch is popular because it is an apple product (and the only apple wearable) and not because it has a square display?

I know, this is quite a stretch, but humor me