Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

16. Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
"I'm afraid it's terminal."
It's a rock opera musical comedy horror movie about a dystopian future where organ failures are rampant and people are forced to buy organ transplants from GeneCo. If you don't pay your installments, they send repo men like Giles from BTVS to uh, take the organs they gave you. I was into the idea, but I didn't really like this very much to be honest. The songs are not very good or memorable, it's filled with 'sing talking' stuff that I can't stand, and frankly a lot of the actors' singing is bad. The idea of a horror musical with Paulie from Goodfellas, Nivek Ogre from Skinny Puppy, Paris Hilton, and Bill Moseley is funny, though. It even has Joan Jett in it briefly for no reason. Total nonsense movie.

:spooky: 2.5/5 -- :banjo: 4. Music of the Night

Total Watched: 16 // GMM Challenges Complete: #13 (The Uninvited), #12 (The Tommyknockers), #11 (Def by Temptation), #10 (The Witchfinder General), #9 (Motel Hell), #8 (Kratt), #7 (replaced with Never Hike Alone: The Ghost Cut), #5 (Shadow of the Vampire), #4 (Repo! The Genetic Opera), #3 (The Changeover), #2 (Penda's Fen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's on
https://easterneuropeanmovies.com/

Along with many other films that might qualify

Thanks, but unfortunately that site only has the first ten minutes of the movie. I'll have to keep looking.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

s

I kinda dug Creepozoids. Another Decoteau banger with that right amount of sloppiness, ripping off judiciously some sci-fi/horror alien classics and Linnea Quigley getting topless which at this point is kinda hard to get mad at. The acting is crap, but like that's not what im here for with a Decoteau picture. He still manages to hold everything together for its entire runtime and the plot moves along well enough even if none of it really makes sense, tho the acid rain in LA feels much more realistic than most of the movies ive watched this month.

out of 5

50 MUSIC OF THE NIGHT

This one sorta ruled. The gore was top notch, the story hummed along well enough though kinda fell apart by the end, but that whole first and second act are a lot of fun and like I said the gore is just so over the top and big and loud it super works well with the story and helps kinda cover up the acting. Though Grohl is definitely doing his best Jack Black impersonation which is appreciated. If you're going to go big at least go as big as Jack. RIP to Taylor, he had some fun bit parts in the movie. Real shame.

out of 5

51 ALL HAIL THE KING

I kinda enjoyed this one. The kid actor is probably the best part about it and she really does her best with the material she is given. The adults minus Rainbird all kind of float around for a bit and say lines for a paycheck. Rainbird at least holds some parts of this story together and he plays a good creeper/zealot/seer. I thought it was leaps and bounds better than the original adaptation of this story and had some very cool practical effect shots and some good practical gore effects. the crispy critters that get crisped up looked especially good.

out of 5

Now this was a shocker how good it was. Really didnt expect this sort of take on a slasher, but it was delightfully silly and super recommended. I didnt even mind the minimal gore after the intro. It's just a really solid take on a genre that at the time was still sorta finding its place and budding, but done with the introspection of someone who you could've placed was doing this from the 21st century. Super solid movie, lots of weird fun.

out of 5

This was the kind of down and dirty nu-exploitation flick I was hoping it would be. It took me a minute to warm up to this new Kevin James persona, but I gotta say he really sold it especially in the middle/last act. I wouldnt be upset if he decided to stretch his legs even more and take a breather from the Happy Madison machine. Otherwise this was just a lot of gruesome fun and full of some very solid gore and kills. wrapping it all up in this story about a kid seeking revenge against a gang of neo-nazi's its got a family favorite written all over it! Just like Home Alone.

out of 5

54 SCREAM, QUEEN!

This was an odd pickle. Co-dependent relationships over the internet is often an interesting subject broached mostly with a very wide brush and never as something as specific as this. Where that line blurs between play and real life does get very blurry both in the movie and as it does in real life. Where does the line between just internet buddies and being a genuinely concerned person for someone elses safety (or maybe something even more nefarious) begin and end. It's an interesting window to gaze through now especially under the guise of an online horror game where play is always on and your ability to go through the window of pretend and real life also starts blurring quite frequently if you really start to buy into the bit. This was a good slow burn movie with lots of "shoe gaze" aura. Interesting interesting and often when you start thinking about it too much frightening stuff.

out of 5

This one was a bit of a struggle to get through. Not my favorite of the siege movies I've watched this month so far. It's got a couple good ideas and a great building to shoot in, but the characters are so lackluster and the build up is kinda whatever that my interest would come and go. The candy colored Dawn of the Dead blood was awesome though and that definitely helped make some of the movie a lot more fun, but otherwise it was just ok. Lots of ideas kinda wasted in the runtime.

out of 5

I didnt hate it, but I didnt like it either. It was a gas watching wrestlers perform their moves on zombies and stuff. Rowdy Roddy Piper saves this movie big time with just his presence and energy. If this movie didnt have him it would just fall apart real quick. Otherwise maybe this one would've hit harder with some brews and some extra people around to make fun of it. The zombie deaths are pretty good. Good gore and stuff, but a big slog to get through.

out of 5

OK, THIS ONE is my favorite of the vampire movies I've watched this month. Somehow I've managed to view 3 intensely women focused vampire movies and they're all fantastic. This one though has that extra layer of slime and gross NY 90's feel that Abel Ferrara can capture in such a lurid and sticky way. This one is just jam packed with some amazing performances and the black and white does such a heavy amount of lifting of keeping this aura of mystery and menace spilling out from the screen. Big time enjoyed this one, absolutely one I'm adding to my physical collection in the future.

out of 5

I got to watch this last night at the theater on an original 35mm print of it. Looked great looking all dirty and spec'd in dust. Real classic feeling and that's exactly what this movie is. Just a barn burner of a classic and the entire audience was super into it from minute 1. Just a real kicker of a movie and tons of fun. Audible gasps from the audience during eky gross out moments and when the blob was attacking. That kitchen sink gag is still one of my favorites.

out of 5

Completed Challenges:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

7. The Nortman (2022)

Aurvandill stríðshrafn konungur Hrafnseyjar er myrtur af bróðir sínum Fjölni bróðurlausa. Amlóði prins sonur Aurvandils flýr heimkynni sín og heldur í víking austur í Garðaríki. Þar berst honum sú fregn að Fjölnir frændi hans sé ekki lengur konungur Hranfseyjar heldur hafi Haraldur hárfagri rekið hann í útlegð til Íslands. Amlóði dulbýr því sem þræl og heldur á bæ frænda síns þar sem hann hyggst höggva mann og annan og ríða húsum líkt og draugur til að að ná hefndum.

Loosely based on the story of Amleth from the Gesta Danorum though structurally this version is more similar to an Icelandic . There are some theories that the version found in the Gesta Danorum might be based on an older Icelandic epic poem but no manuscripts of it survive and the Icelandic manuscripts of the story are younger than the Danish version and probably based on it. A British play called Hamlet is based on the same story.

Is this a horror movie? Not really but I think it counts about as much as The Green Knight which was deemed acceptable in previous challenges. Possibly even more since there's a lot more brutal violence in this one and a lot of it is obviously intended to be horrific. There is also the draugur/haugbúi/mound dweller that Amlóði fights to get the Nightsword Draugr. Which is presented more in a fantasy context and tone but with a tinge of horror, at least more than the very different ghost that appears in The Green Knight * There's also the sorcerer with the anachronistic 17th century magical sigil on his hat and the severed head who is a very spooky guy.

So I'm counting it.

The Northman is a good barbarian flick with some of Egger's signature weirdness sprinkled over it. Which is I think why I don't quite like it as much as say the Lighthouse. It feels a bit like he wasn't allowed to go fully hog wild on the strange pagan rituals and various visions. It goes pretty hard nontheless and I think that without all these fantastical and strange elements, like the many scenes of various pagan rituals and feasts, the film would be a bit too much of a standard revenge film.

The film's depiction of vikings is not very flattering. It very deliberately paints them as mass murderers, rapists, and slavers. Even in the first scene when the king comes home after we see them ride into town with their spoils the camera pulls back to reveal the droves of chained slaves that are part of those spoils. The pivotal role of slavery in their society is very front and center in the plot itself. It's even revealed that Amleth's mother was herself a slave kidnapped from her native Brittany and forcibly taken as a concubine by his father There is also an early scene when Amleth is vikinging in Russia and the camera pans around as the Northmen commit atrocity after atrocity culminating in them herding dozens of Russian peasants into a house and setting on fire in what I'm pretty sure is a direct reference to a very similar scene in Come and See the Soviet war film about the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union.

This film, surprisingly, hasn't been very well received in Iceland, which normally goes nuts for anything remotely Iceland related and especially any foreign film involving Icelanders in any way. I think a part of that might be how the Vikings in the film are not glorified and every character seems to think Iceland itself is a complete shithole. Things that could hurt the fragile national mythology about being descendants of brave and strong and cool Vikings.

I hope Eggers next film is some back to the basics thing because I think he works best in low- to mid- budget films where the stakes aren't so high that he needs to temper his urge to insert farts and dicks. There was, I think, not a single non-obscured cock in this film and only one (1) fart. Though a well timed one.

Despite this lack of dick and flatulence it is a very well made period film, and about as accurate as is possible, and the violence is all very appropriately visceral and brutal.

*I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent about medieval ghosts. is it a spoiler that there's a ghost in what is essentially Hamlet? Well anyway: Generally speaking medieval ghosts were a lot more corporeal than later ghosts. They had a tangible body and were often even the actual dead body rather than the spirit but had some shapeshifting powers which is why you get a lot of ghosts appearing as objects or animals but they were still actual physical beings you could touch and that couldn't really get through a locked door let alone a wall. This is especially true in the Nordic countries and persisted there longer than in in the rest of the continent where ghosts got more and more ethereal and less tangible as time went on. In Iceland this type of ghost, called a draugur, persisted well into the 19th century until the introduction of the then trendy Spiritualism started to change the perception of the nature of the undead from lumbering corpses riding roofs and pulling people into their graves to voices from the beyond herd at seances. The older type of draugr before this 19th century spiritualization can be roughly divided into two categories: Tilberadraugar and Guardians, the former type is a lot like a vampire. It goes around terrorizing the living at night and its curse is contagious in that all that die by its hand also become draugar, they basically exist as a sort of supernatural parasite with no purpose other than to haunt. The Guardians on the other hand are mound dwellers that stay in their graves guarding the treasures within from thieves and are functionally a lot like dragons. The Mounddweller in the film is a guardian but one interesting little detail is that after Amlóði decapites him he places the head inbetween the legs which is, if the tales are true, the only way to permanently kill a draugur. Though people usually burned the corpse and or drove stakes into it just to be sure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

8) Blue My Mind (2017)

Challenge: A Perfect Getaway

While trawling through what I had available I realised that I don't think I've ever seen a horror movie from Switzerland. Plotwise it's a fairly standard teen drama that uses the common horror trope of combining "your body is changing" with "into what?" On the whole it's not badly presented and acted, but the most disturbing scenes in the movie don't involve main character Mia's transformation at all. I have no real urge to watch it again, but I'd give it a cautious recommend.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

13. Escape the Field

A handful of strangers wake up in a cornfield, each with an item that doubles as a clue for how to get free as someone/something hunts them at random

I could have basically copypasted that synopsis. You know the drill with Cube/Escape Room/etc knockoffs

Somehow felt like a tamer version of the Escape Room sequel? More explanations of how to solve puzzles, with less blood/kills onscreen, less tension overall, less likable characters, and less of an original and coherent ending (not helped by the mid-credits scene). With how much Netflix has been failing people lately, this feels like it could have been an Original/Exclusive for the service. When it finally seems to be finding its footing story-wise, that baffling series of endings happens, the first basically being a copypaste from the, much-better, remake of The Crazies and both desperately hoping to make a franchise of this. Only if they can get better writers next time please

13/13+ (Presence 2022, Bitch rear end, Dawn Breaks Behind the Eyes, The Outwaters, Masking Threshold, When the Screaming Starts, The Abandon 2022, To the Moon 2022, Dawning 2022, La Pasajera, Pennywise: The Story of IT, Firestarter 2022, Escape the Field)

My minimum goal's been reached already but I'm not done for the month, or for the week; tickets already bought for Men this Saturday. VERY excited for that one, Alex Garland hasn't disappointed me so far. Annihilation is one of my favorite films

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 19, 2022

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Movie #16 - Delicatessen (1991)

A post-apocalyptic French romantic comedy about an out of work clown who falls for the daughter of a cannibalistic butcher. I first saw this one on IFC in the 90's in high school and it was one of the first times I realized movies could be weird! I hadn't revisited since then and I'm happy to say it's held up pretty well.

The tone here is wild, focusing on a wide variety of meat-hungry weirdos trying to hang on to some semblance of civilization in a collapsing world that they're doing nothing to improve. We get to know all the tenants of an apartment building run by The Butcher, a man who hordes wealth in the form of corn, beans, and other food while his tenants starve. Can't pay up? You're gonna cooked up and served on a platter. In other words, a very believable landlord character.

There's a subplot about a literally underground vegetarian movement that's gone just as mad as the meat eaters up above and this is really the film's weakest bit. There's not enough individual personality to really care about these guys after so much time was put into getting to know everyone else.

I'm honestly impressed by how well the mixed up tone works; the whimsical comedy and cutesy romance is nice and fun to watch and the horror that bookends the movie is actually effective! I've seen comparisons to Terry Gilliam and that's legit but honestly there's a lot of Sam Raimi here too and I think that's a big part of what works so well. 

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rains, Cushing, Price, KARLOFF, Lorre, and Nicholson. Not a bad night.

28 (44). Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Directed by Arthur Lubin; Screenplay by Samuel Hoffenstein and Eric Taylor; Story by John Jacoby; Based on The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Return of the Fallen: 8/13 - Team Universal
GMM Challenges: 5/13

gey muckle mowser posted:

:banjo: 4. Music of the Night
- Watch a horror musical
- OR watch a film that heavily features music and/or musicians as part of the plot

I’ve seen my share of Phantom adaptions and they all seem to go crazy in their own way, so I decided to finally check out that lone Phantom movie sitting in my Universal Monsters set. Its funny that the most unique thing about this version is how vanilla it is. Its like when Lady Gaga realized the most shocking thing she could do is just be classically gorgeous and do duets with Tony Bennett. This Phantom stands out by just being kind of calm. And that’s a pro and a con.

The big problem here is we really don’t get a ton of the Phantom or horror. There’s some in there and I enjoy it. Claude Rains is great and I think he plays a very good Phantom. But the film stays around 90 minutes and devotes a LOT of time to opera. I’m not really mad about that. I’m not an opera fan but you can’t really be mad about getting opera from Phantom of the Opera. But the film does seem to purposely lean hard into it when you probably could have cut a song or two for more horror. But I guess that’s not really what the studio known for horror was going for. Odd, but ok.

On the positive end the film also goes for comedy and I found it really funny. Not quite subtle but not too overt either. Just a lot of droll gags that start subtle and get less and less so as the movie goes on. Beyond a doubt my favorite gag is that Raoul and Anatoli spend the entire film fawning over Christine and trying to prove they’re better than the other when really they’re so drat identical they could be brothers. Christine seems very aware of this and highly amused every time the two doofs argue with each other and star moon eyed at her side by side like there’s a mirror between them. Christine goes into a giggling fit more than once and I was right with her.

The other thing I really liked is that this version doesn’t try and turn Phantom into a romantic anti-hero like so many versions do. Its always creepy and weird and this movie outright says as much. Rains plays the Phantom for exactly what he is. A obsessed loser who snaps. The film builds up some sympathy for him early on but once he goes homicidal no one ever minces words. Christine repeatedly underlines the fact that if she felt anything for the guy it was pity and reacts to him dragging her into the sewers to sing for him exactly as one should. The film also doesn’t try and make Christine’s other suitors villains to make the Phantom look better. Raoul and Anatoli are goofy but they’re pretty harmless losers and actually do seem to have Christine’s concerns in mind. A little pushy and patronizing perhaps but it is the 40s. At least they’re not drugging or kidnapping anyone.

Its a very pretty movie in technicolor and its focus heavily on the opera is definitely gonna appeal to some audience, and even if I’m not part of that audience I still appreciated its beauty and execution. And I genuinely enjoyed myself the whole time in part just laughing with it. I definitely would have liked to see more horror and Phantom but I liked what I did get. And I absolutely loved the ending. How can you not enjoy an ending to Phantom that has Christine propose a threeway with Raoul and Anatole, have them reject it and force her to choose, she dumps both of them, and they comfort themselves by going to dinner arm in arm? That might be the single best ending Universal ever produced.

29 (45). Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell (1974)
Directed by Terence Fisher; Written by John Elder

13 Frankenst13ns: 8/13

And so we reach the end. I basically added this Frankenstein challenge because I had been stuck on the last few Hammer Frankenstein films for awhile and I wanted to use the excuse to finally close them out. The series as a whole has its ups and downs but feel like the strongest Hammer films I’ve seen in part due to Peter Cushing’s wonderfully sociopathic Doctor Frankenstein and Terence Fisher’s clever habit of making movies that revolve around the Doctor but in an almost incidental way. Frankenstein’s never setting out to do evil in the world. He’s just doing his experiments. But his utter lack of morality or limits just keeps resulting in horror movie after horror movie happening around him and making his life difficult. Its a very clever and fun spin on Frankenstein and was a joy to keep revisiting and see what kind of mess the bad doctor gets into this time.

So there’s a very tangible melancholy to this. Cushing’s last Frankenstein, Fisher’s last film. There’s a certain sadness here to the doctor’s long journey of failures. The movie was more or less coasting for me until we reached the point where things go bad with yet another one of Frankenstein’s Creatures and the Doctor finds himself defeated. Slunched in his chair, telling his latest ambitious assistant that his whole life’s mission has been a failure you actually kind of feel for this monster. God knows the world will be better when he’s gone and there will be less random monster rampage murders or convenient suicides but you almost gotta feel for an old man who knows he’s running out of time and doesn’t have the results to show for his work. That’s a universal anxiety and Cushing ends his great run of this nuanced character showing that even if he can’t bring himself to care for another human being he still has his own feelings. But of course that’s a fleeting moment for the Doctor and after a pep talk and a power nap he’s back to taking notes and moving on to the next test trial. You can’t keep a good necromancer down.

Its not the best but its still a Hammer film. It meanders around a lot and just kind of happens, but it does so with style and flair. The Creature is pretty cool as is the mental hospital/prison setting. And Cushing is the best and even does a little Action Cushing action at the age of 59. Good for him. It sounds like maybe Fisher knew this was gonna be his last film and while its not his best its still a very solid goodbye that feels like him and Cushing closing the book. And I’m not sure I really expected to get closure from this marathon. You don’t get a lot of closure in horror franchises. But this one delivered on it and left me feeling like maybe I didn’t waste my time on these.

30 (46). The Raven (1963)
Directed by Roger Corman; Screenplay by Richard Matheson; Based on "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe

Return of the Fallen: 9/13 - Roger Corman
GMM Challenges: 6/13

:10bux: 10. The Price is Right
- Watch a film featuring Vincent Price

Now that was completely unexpected, and absolutely delightful.

When I pop on a Corman Poe film that starts with Price reciting dark poetry the last thing I expected was for the crow to replace “Nevermore” as his dialogue with an alcoholic smart rear end’s running commentary. Then Vincent Price is all “oh, yeah, I’m a wizard.” And then they go have a magicians duel with Boris Karloff like this is freaking Harry Potter. What the gently caress is going on here? Something wonderful really.

Its awesome watching all these legends just goof around and make something so silly. And they’re all legends so of course they kill it. Its got big gothic castles and moving corpses and enough heaving chests to make Hammer proud. I’ve seen Corman comedies but a lot fo the time they’re the back end of a serious movie that Corman just makes on a riff with the leftover budget. Here it feels like they really did set out to do something cool with this (and then blew the rest of the budget on the really bland, totally serious Terror) and they succeeded.

Its also fun to realize that Jack Nicholson’s career basically got started by Roger Corman. But where the hell is Dick Miller?!?

I don’t know that I have a lot to say about this. Its not exactly deep or scary or anything. Its just a lot of goofy fun and an absolute must watch for anyone who has ever enjoyed any of the players in this thing. Just a great, great time and its always fun to be completely surprised by a 60 year old classic.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

But where the hell is Dick Miller?!?

I honestly don't think he was in that one. And here's my last entry for the challenge. Hit my 13 for the month along with GMM's challenge. Might watch some more, mostly depends on how work goes.

:corsair: 13. Sins of the Past
- Watch a film released before 1950

14) The Boogie Man Will Get You - 1942 - Youtube

This one's a classic screwball comedy with horror, kinda like Arsenic & Old Lace is. It's a delight to see Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre hamming it up like it ain't no thing. Storyline follows a young divorcee buying a 'seen better days' tavern with the goal of turning it into a hotel. One of the conditions of the sale is that the previous owner is able to stay on since his laboratory is in the basement and he needs to finish his experiments. What she doesn't know is that those experiments are to create advanced humans for the war effort and the failures are in the basement as well.

The actual humor here's hit or miss. If you like vintage screwball comedies, you'll like this one. The characters are more consistently funny compared to the rest. Karloff's wonderful as the slightly absent minded mad scientist, and Lorre's great as the town's mayor/sheriff/bigwig whose assistant is a kitten he keeps in his pocket.

Overall, I liked this.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
9. Phantom of the Paradise

(Challenge 4: Music of the Night)

If Rocky Horror Picture Show is a horny time on psychedelics, Phantom of the Paradise is a cocaine fever dream.

It cribs from sources far and wide, from The Picture of Dorian Gray to KISS. Strangely, the one thing it doesn't borrow from is Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera, seeing that this came out a full twelve years before. When all is said, done, and blended you have a campy rock opera where Warren Zevon gets screwed over by Mark Hamill and Phillip Seymour Hoffman's diminutive love child.

I can see why it isn't remembered in the same way as other de Palma classics, because honestly it's a total mess. It has so much fun with itself that it forgets to keep us in the loop. On the other hand, the gayest man on earth yells "dry up, tubbo!" with complete earnestness.

10. Pulgasari

(Challenge 8: A Perfect Getaway - North Korea)

Last year I went on a kick to fill in my entire world map on Letterboxd. I'm nowhere close, but it does mean that the remaining countries have made hardly any movies. This made this challenge an absolute doozy. My first idea was to watch Blood Quantum as a sovereign territory loophole, but then I remembered that I downloaded this ages ago.

Anyways, if I told you Kim Jong-il kidnapped a director and forced him to make North Korean propaganda films, about the last thing you'd expect was the cutest lil Godzilla you ever did see. It's unexpectedly competently made. The director was a professional obviously, but he even seemed to have a bit of a budget.

Hespite Plex giving "Horror" top genre billing, Pulgasari is actually a historical action film with a big monster and only a touch of horror. It's also blatant propaganda. The main characters have no arcs and no growth because they must all embody the pinnacle of North Korean Civic Duty from frame one. They give everything to the elderly first, they remain stoic through starvation and violence, and they never stop fighting for what is right. When that's how they start and they're not allowed to fall from grace, all you can do with them in a script is kill them. Sure enough, one by one they bite the big one.

It's ok though because Pulgasari starts spitting cannon balls and avenges them.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

11, Cruising (1980)

A NYC cop goes undercover in the S&M scene to lure out a killer. It was controversial when released for its negative portrayal of gay men (and still is to a lesser degree from what I can tell). In the movie they are depicted as violent and subversive, or alternatively as victims. It seems to me it’s more an indictment of the movie’s treatment of the s&m scene, and some expression of dominance is expected there. Not murderous violence, of course, that’s bad, and can sometimes lead to cops getting pressured into getting off their duff and investigating! One of my favorite movies from the last couple of years is knife+heart, and the influence of Cruising is clear. But while that movie’s main characters fully inhabit and are a part of the depicted world, here the cop is a tourist, an outsider looking in, which plays a large part in the way it’s portrayed, I think. As a cis white male, that’s also generally the case when I watch this, so this seems targeted at a straight male audience as just a thriller set in a seedy subculture of gay men - the criticisms seem earned. Outside of that it’s well put together and is a good serial killer movie that is highly critical of how the police are abusive towards marginalized people.

Challenge #2 Scream Queen

8/13 Movies: What Have You Done To Solange?, Kadaicha, Frankenstein Created Woman, Night Of The Living Dead (1990), Straight Jacket, Slaughterhouse Rock, It Came From Outer Space, The Changeover, The Body Snatcher (1945), Anarchy Parlor, Cruising
2/13 Challenges: #1 Woodlands Dark (Kadaicha), #2 Scream Queen (Cruising), #4 Music Of The Night (Slaughterhouse Rock), #6 The King In Yellow (Solange), #8 A Perfect Getaway (Anarchy Parlor), #13 Sins Of The Past (Body Snatcher)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

15. The Sadness (2021)
(dir. Robert Jabbaz)
Shudder

A global pandemic (which isn’t being taken very seriously by the population despite warnings from experts) turns deadly when a new variant causes the infected to grow aggressive and violent. They aren’t mindless zombies, though - they gleefully and cruelly inflict pain and torture, and assault anyone who crosses their path physically, verbally, and often sexually. This movie absolutely revels in its explicit violence and gore, and it’s certainly one of the most graphic films I’ve seen in a long time. The effects are gnarly and there are buckets of blood. It can feel mean sometimes, but the sheer number of violent acts pushes it into absurd territory pretty fast, and it isn’t afraid to occasionally get a little cartoony for the sake of a gross out gag.

As you can guess by the premise, this taps into a lot of the anxieties associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and the past few years in general. Many of the set pieces take place in spaces that the pandemic has made us feel unsafe in, like a restaurant, a packed subway car, and even a hospital. At the beginning it touches on things like conspiracy theories and the politicization of the pandemic, but mostly it’s a pretty nihilistic film about how humans are lovely and cruel.

The more I think about this, the more I like it (I watched it three days ago but have been too busy to log it). I kind of thought that after the shock value wore off there wouldn’t be much left to write home about, but there’s more going on here than just blood and guts. I mean it’s still like 90% about the blood and guts, but beneath the gore and depravity there is a relatively smart film here.

4.5 senseless acts of violence out of 5

16. The Exorcist III (1990)
(dir. William Peter Blatty)
blu-ray
re-watch

I’ve seen this many times and always love it. The studio-mandated exorcism scenes at the end feel tacked on and unnecessary, but they also contain some really cool visuals and effects so I can’t truly dislike them. George C. Scott and Brad Dourif are both so fantastic in this, I could watch their scenes on repeat forever.

This is the first time I’ve seen it since reading Blatty’s novel Legion, which this is adapted from. It’s interesting what he chose to leave in and what he left out - the film focuses pretty much solely on the murder investigation, while the book also spends a significant amount of time on a side plot involving a character (who didn’t make it into the film at all) who records voices from the “other side”. The book also features a lot of long monologues from Kinderman, who goes on at great length about the nature of evil and god and all that. I actually didn’t care for those parts at all, so I’m glad Blatty didn’t leave them in - although perhaps if they were performed by George C. Scott I would’ve enjoyed them anyway.

4.5 bathtub carp out of 5

Total: 16
Watched: The Exorcist | Exorcist II: The Heretic | We're All Going to the World's Fair | Irreversible | Amsterdamned | Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched | We Have Always Lived in the Castle | Valerie and Her Week of Wonders | Hollow Man | Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | Broadcast Signal Intrusion | The Spine of Night | Anaconda | Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives | The Sadness | The Exorcist III

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boogens was kinda alright, I didnt super dislike everything happening and its got some good beats of tension and hides the budget well with the creature. I think the human element really drags this movie down quite a bit. I wish there was more of a forward propulsion between the release of this monster, the town and the crazy trying to warn everyone. It's like they had all these elements for a good creature feature, but they just werent sure how to fit everything together. easy in hindsight to say where this one could've gone for sure, but there's definitely like "we've all seen Jaws by the time of this films production, we could've figured out something a bit more compelling here". Pretty good otherwise. On the run was cool and probably had the best ending of them all from a shocker moment and that last story about the confederate soldiers was demented in a good way if not maybe too brief or like not fleshed out in a way I would have wanted. It was an ok anthology picture, but just not as strong as the best in the genre.

Out of 5

60 THE PRICE IS RIGHT

I had high hopes going into this one. Solid intro and good threading between each story, but there was something missing from most of these stories. Like the comeuppance wasnt enough I guess or the "twist" of where the story was really going for each didnt hit has hard. I definitely liked the Carnival story the most. That whole ending was quite the spectacle and the death scene was awesome. the first story was alright, I kinda lost the plot along the way and it really lost my interest as it went.

Out of 5

Definitely the roughest one to get through out of this post. Kind of a waste of Jenny Agutters talent, the story is just a bit shoddy and could've been leaned out a bit. comparably to something like The Lift or Demons 2 for movies that take place in a high rise building its the weakest of the bunch. Some solid "people going crazy/getting hosed with by a ghost" moments, but yeah I was just counting the minutes at one point waiting for it to end.

Out of 5

Now this was a true blue exploitation feature. Using rape as your primary function for violence is never the best feeling going into the movie, but it was surprisingly tame on that front because while I dont think it was going to be as bad as Rape Zombie: Lust of the Dead was I was expecting exploitation levels of like lingering and sexualizing the moment as its happening. They spend far much more time titilating up to the attacks with a very protracted naked yoga session or chatting on the phone with your tits out. very cheese ball level stuff, but the attacks were brief and usually cut to black as the alien approaches. There is a fantastic body horror bit in this one that I had to stare at for a minute because the makeup effects look great for the budget this was at and it definitely felt like they blew a ton of money on some very specific moments and then we get to the third act and they threw a bunch of plastic around a kiddie pool full of fake semen and had naked women writhe around in it while the heroes figure out how to run some wire from point A to point B to defeat the big bad. It's a 90 minute exploitation creature feature that isnt bad, isnt good, but maybe you might want to check it out at some point.

Out of 5

Partly felt a bit like a made for tv movie, but then the gore kicks in and its kinda solid. I couldnt really get the full feeling of what they were going for. Sometimes its a little more comedy, sometimes it feels like a kids movie and then sometimes it actually gets into some solid horror tropes. It's tone was just all over the place and the villain seems like he was trying to channel as much Jim Carey as much as he could as his plan starts to unravel. It's got some neat moments and works well overall. a happy little find on Shudder.

Out of 5

64 HORROR NOIRE

Now this was a nice little surprise. A very contained and compelling movie about a succubus versus basically a man of the cloth. I was surprised to find out this was a Troma production as well, didnt expect it because while it does have plenty of gore, its very contained and reserved in its use. The comedy was good ("A 5 dollar drink from a 2 dollar bitch" got a giant laugh out of me), the scares were solid and I never felt like we werent moving forward in the story. Everyone had their part to play and played it well. Good little flick.

Out of 5

I unabashedly love Maximum Overdrive. I dunno, there's just something about it both that is completely absurd but also it all works despite it being a production helmed by someone with zero directorial efforts under their belt and off rails and rails of cocaine. I think it really helps that everyone in the production is taking it totally seriously like "this is happening" and not taking it tongue and cheek and going overboard in their roles (well some of the actors). There's no consistency and ruleset for the "machines" that work on their own versus like some sprinklers that definitely dont have anything machinery related for the "green fog" to take hold of. It's just the kitchen sink method of "we have an idea, lets just do stuff that looks cool and we'll worry about the rest later" and it all looks cool. Easily one of the best 80's movies too with a child death. Right up there with Pet Semetary, The Blob, Season of the Witch and Toxic Avenger. Just a good time always.

Out of 5

Challenges Completed:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

62 Breeders

Oh nice, appreciate the review, I've had this on my list for awhile but the concept worried me. Mostly want to watch it for Frances Raines who I really liked in Disconnected and The Mutilator aka Fall Break

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh nice, appreciate the review, I've had this on my list for awhile but the concept worried me. Mostly want to watch it for Frances Raines who I really liked in Disconnected and The Mutilator aka Fall Break

She maybe has the biggest role (comparatively) between all the victims in the story. She is also the one doing the naked yoga session as well, so if that helps or hinders your interest go forth.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

dorium posted:

64 HORROR NOIRE

Now this was a nice little surprise. A very contained and compelling movie about a succubus versus basically a man of the cloth. I was surprised to find out this was a Troma production as well, didnt expect it because while it does have plenty of gore, its very contained and reserved in its use. The comedy was good ("A 5 dollar drink from a 2 dollar bitch" got a giant laugh out of me), the scares were solid and I never felt like we werent moving forward in the story. Everyone had their part to play and played it well. Good little flick.
Its not actually a "Troma film" in that way. They just distributed it.

Basically the story as I understand it is that Bond had a bit part on Spike Lee's School Daze and used that opportunity to sell to a bunch of the cast and crew to make his movie. Bond himself was pretty incompetent and solely focused on his character and the acting, so that left the film to basically be taken over by a crew of talented people who already had made a bunch of classic Spike films together and for Ernest R. Dickerson to become the uncredited director. And you can clearly see a lot of what he would go on to do in Bones and Demon Knight in Def By Temptation's gore and horror.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Def by Temptation is a a masterpiece that could've been a disaster.

But the stars aligned and it came out perfect

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s a testament to the limits of auteur theory. That film works not because of some singular talent or vision from its creator but because of an immensely talented cast and crew.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
:10bux: The Price is Right
The Tingler
Directed by William Castle
Watched on Tubi

The strangest things about The Tingler are Ollie Higgens and the way everyone seems to know what The Tingler is, or just not question its existence. It's a pretty wild ride and did not play out the way I was expecting, which was a really nice surprise. Vincent Price is great, of course. The Tingler itself was actually kind of adorable.

💀💀💀1/2

Spooky Non-American 1960s Challenge 13/13
1. Matango (1963), 2. Mill of the Stone Women (1960), 3. The Brainiac (1962), 4. Kill, Baby… Kill! (1966), 5. Gamera, the Giant Monster (1960), 6. Genocide (1968), 7. The House That Screamed (1969), 8. The Whip and the Body (1963), 9. The Snow Woman (1968), 10. The City of the Dead (1960), 11. The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales (1960), 12. The Devil Rides Out (1968), 13. Spirits of the Dead (1968)
Bracketology 9/?
1. Night of the Living Dead (1990), 2. Strait-Jacket (1964), 3. National Theatre Live: Frankenstein (2011), 4. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967), 5. The Changeover (2017), 6. It Came from Outer Space (1953), 7. Morgiana (1972), 8. Phantasm II (1988), 9. Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994)
GMM Challenges 11/14
1. The Other Lamb (2019), 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985), 3. Madhouse (1974), 4. Suck (2009), 5. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006), 6. Don’t Torture a Duckling (1972), 7. Various shorts, 8. The Medium (2021), 9. The Eyes of My Mother (2016), 10. The Tingler (1959), 14. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MacheteZombie posted:

If memory serves, the director's prior work was all in porn so it's normal to be cautious. But yeah, it's far tamer than expected and much tamer than some of the later remakes were. *casts a stink eye at Dying God*

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
9. The Fifth Cord (1971) (first viewing)

"A journalist finds himself on the trail of a murderer who's been targeting people around him, while the police are considering him a suspect in their investigation." That's the framework for this giallo, but the full details and rather convoluted and, ultimately, narratively unsatisfying. Still, it's a decent watch if you are attuned to the giallo atmosphere. It's quite stylish, as some solid cinematography and, in particular, plenty of interesting sets and locations make it nice to look at, if nothing else.

CHALLENGE: "The King in Yellow."

---

CHALLENGES:
1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched
2. Scream, Queen! Death Drop Gorgeous (2020)
3. Rated PG Watch any film from the Friday the 13th franchise Never Hike Alone (2017) and Never Hike in the Snow (2020)
4. Music of the Night Nocturne (2020)
5. Behind the Screams Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019)
6. The King in Yellow The Fifth Cord (1971)
7. Short Cuts (various short films) (misc)
8. A Perfect Getaway
9. Hidden Gems
10. The Price is Right
11. Horror Noire Tales from the Hood (1995)
12. All Hail the King 1922 (2017)
13. Sins of the Past The Wolf Man (1941)

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
9. Men

I think this movie is going to get pretty beat up, as its title and its pedigree set up pretty big expectations for something profound. It's not profound, but it does have a great conceit, cast, and plenty of spooky imagery and scares to make it a pretty visceral watch. I think it has a pretty good grip on the specific flavor of toxic masculinity that it's themed around, but Garland throws up a lot of heady imagery and a fluid relationship to reality that kind of oversells the depth of the film and gives the sense that it might just be a lot of fancy curtains. Rory Kinnear does really great work, especially as the genuinely funny AirBnb host that would be at home in any British sitcom. Buckley is also great even if we're never really sure exactly how credulous she is supposed to be of what's going on. The tunnel echo score is a really great idea and I kind of wish it had been held back from the trailers.

Made some substitutions in my list to fill in Cronenberg gaps before Crimes of the Future.
1) We’re All Going to the World’s Fair
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3) Scream 4
4) Scream 2022
5) You Won’t Be Alone
6) The Night House
7) Audition
8) Dracula (1931)
9) Men

10) Videodrome
11) Scanners
12) Us
13) Drag Me To Hell

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Eggnogium posted:

9. Men

I think this movie is going to get pretty beat up, as its title and its pedigree set up pretty big expectations for something profound.

I stopped thinking that Men was going to have anything profound to say when I saw the poster is composited to have an abstract skull on it. Skull composite poster movies are never profound, and rarely good.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
3. What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)
(challenge #6: The King in Yellow)
"I have never understood these girls."

Unquestionably effective.
The good news is that I did, in fact, find out who did what to Solange. The bad news is that it takes half the movie to even find out who Solange is, but I suppose that's part of the fun.
The structure is definitely interesting, a mystery centered around a relatively charming but skeevy teacher who makes an excellent murder suspect except for the fact that we are shown from the start that it's not him.

While in some ways it holds back from displaying the worst of the brutal violence depicted, even what is implied is horrifying, and there are images so striking they will stick with me for a while (especially Elizabeth bobbing in the tub).

Strangely, there are like three straight-up jokes thrown in, but if they're out of place in this tragic story that's balanced by the fact that they're effective, if brief, tension-breakers.

I am pleasantly surprised by how uncomfortably this movie continues to sit within me. 8/10

(alternate quote: "drat all cops! drat all priests too!")

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

:spooky: Horror Noire
His House
Directed by Remi Weekes
Watched on Netflix

Grief and guilt manifesting as a horrible apparition is not a new idea, but His House handles the concept really well and includes a genuinely heartbreaking twist.

💀💀💀💀

1. Matango (1963), 2. Mill of the Stone Women (1960), 3. The Brainiac (1962), 4. Kill, Baby… Kill! (1966), 5. Gamera, the Giant Monster (1960), 6. Genocide (1968), 7. The House That Screamed (1969), 8. The Whip and the Body (1963), 9. The Snow Woman (1968), 10. The City of the Dead (1960), 11. The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales (1960), 12. The Devil Rides Out (1968), 13. Spirits of the Dead (1968)
Bracketology 9/?
1. Night of the Living Dead (1990), 2. Strait-Jacket (1964), 3. National Theatre Live: Frankenstein (2011), 4. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967), 5. The Changeover (2017), 6. It Came from Outer Space (1953), 7. Morgiana (1972), 8. Phantasm II (1988), 9. Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994)
GMM Challenges 12/14
1. The Other Lamb (2019), 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985), 3. Madhouse (1974), 4. Suck (2009), 5. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006), 6. Don’t Torture a Duckling (1972), 7. Various shorts, 8. The Medium (2021), 9. The Eyes of My Mother (2016), 10. The Tingler (1959), 11, His House (2020), 14. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

The Vampire Doll (幽霊屋敷の恐怖 血を吸う人形)
Directed by Michio Yamamoto

A solidly spooky story that combines small-town rumors, curses, and ghosts, but is only tangentially about vampires. It feels like a real homage to Terence Fisher, which definitely a compliment.

💀💀💀1/2

Bracketology 10/?
1. Night of the Living Dead (1990), 2. Strait-Jacket (1964), 3. National Theatre Live: Frankenstein (2011), 4. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967), 5. The Changeover (2017), 6. It Came from Outer Space (1953), 7. Morgiana (1972), 8. Phantasm II (1988), 9. Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994), 10. The Vampire Doll (1970)
GMM Challenges 12/14
1. The Other Lamb (2019), 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985), 3. Madhouse (1974), 4. Suck (2009), 5. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006), 6. Don’t Torture a Duckling (1972), 7. Various shorts, 8. The Medium (2021), 9. The Eyes of My Mother (2016), 10. The Tingler (1959), 11, His House (2020), 14. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: CHALLENGE TIME :siren:

:banjo: 4. Music of the Night
- Watch a horror musical

#18. Anna and the Apocalypse (Kanopy)

When a zombie outbreak hits a small English village right before Christmas break, Anna and her friend do their best to survive and make their way to reunite with their parents... all while occasionally breaking into song.

I'm not normally a musicals guy, so I was surprised by how much I ended up enjoying the music aspect of this film. I've seen other viewers deride it here before; maybe I don't have enough of an ear to be able to pick up on bad lyrics or off-key moments or something. But it doesn't change my enjoyment of the songs when they happen. I also liked the staging of the corresponding dance numbers - I liked seeing small details, like antagonistic former boyfriend Nick refusing to take part in the big cafeteria dance, or the irony of having the main characters meeting up and dancing in a graveyard while singing "What A Time To Be Alive."

As for the rest of it, AatA falls in a similar category as Shaun of the Dead - the funny, quirky British zombie comedy that hides a streak of both tenderness and dark cynicism. It's a bit of an emotional tightrope to walk, but I liked how the characters and their relationships were so well defined that you ended up feeling so bad when terrible things befell them. I'm thinking of both the idiot teen lovers holding onto each other right after both getting zombie bites and also the sad-sack best friend John, who gets bitten in the dumbest way and then allows himself to be a zombie swarm buffet in order to buy everyone else time to escape. The form of these kinds of feel-good musicals make you think that the film won't have such punctuated cruelty show up; I was actually taken by surprise when John got offed, let alone in such a horrible way. Then again, the film does also contain a song all about how there's "no such thing as a Hollywood ending," so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised - it's not like it wasn't foreshadowing a downer ending.

I find it harder to explain or review musicals than most other films. In the end, it feels so much more subjective to review those than most other genres. What I do know is that when it works, it works, and for me, Anna and the Apocalypse just works. What a time to be alive.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Watched so far: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Escape Room (2019), The Company of Wolves (GMM Challenge 9), Shutter (2008) (GMM Challenge 3), bunch o' shorts (GMM Challenge 7), Black Sunday (1960), The Hallow (GMM Challenge 1), Dr. Strange 2, Madhouse (1974) (GMM Challenge 10), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) (GMM Challenge 13), Memory: The Origins of Alien (GMM Challenge 5), Trollhunter (GMM Challenge 8), Friday the 13th Part 2 (SBLT Challenge), The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, Firestarter (2022) (GMM Challenge 12), Happy Death Day 2U (GMM Challenge 2), The Editor (GMM Challenge 6), Anna and the Apocalypse (GMM Challenge 4)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie 12: The Queen of Black Magic (Ratu Ilmu Hitam) (Perfect Getaway)

Why didn't we go to Bali?

The Queen of Black Magic is the first Indonesian movie I've ever seen, and it makes the place look pretty wild. Not just because, if the movie is to be believed, the place is lousy with witches and haunted orphanages. Indonesia as a place seems to be a melting pot of different cultures and influences, which are reflected in the movie. It's cool to see, even if it's a bit strange when the cast drop in English or other foreign loan words like it wasn't a thing, or just suddenly switch to English for a couple of sentences at a time.

The movie itself is also a strange mix of influences. The style of the movie is distinctly Hollywood, albeit with Indonesian actors. But the story is full of elements from Indonesian folklore and stories of witches and witchcraft. It's cool, even if it is a bit of a bummer not to see a more uniquely local cinematic language, if that's a thing anyone understands.

Things take a while to get going. A man is traveling with his family to visit his childhood home, an isolated orphanage. The man who ran the orphanage is dying, and so the group is gathering to see the place one last time. And then things get spooky as people start dropping off, vomiting clumps of bloody centipedes and getting possessed.

I'm gonna say that as someone with serious trypophobia and general issues with bugs, the movie was frequently very difficult to watch, which wasn't cool exactly but it is neat to see that a movie can have that effect on me.

As a movie The Queen of Black Magic isn't going to break any new ground or blow any minds, but it's not bad by any means. It's a perfectly serviceable horror movie with some genuinely unsettling imagery, and worth checking out, even if it never gets as wild as movies like Mystics in Bali seem to do. But obviously even now they're drawing on a lot of the same heritage.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

My May 2022 Movies:
1. Saturday Morning Mystery, 2. Ghostbusters Afterlife (Rated PG), 3. Superstition, 4. Vampyr (Hidden Gems), 5. The People Under the Stairs (Horror Noire), 6. Rock & Roll Nightmare (Music of the Night), 7. Nosferatu (Sins of the Past), 8. Shadow of the Vampire (Behind the Screams), 9. Witchfinder General (The Price is Right), 10. Shorts (Short Cuts), 11. Creepshow (Hail to the King), 12. The Queen of Black Magic (Perfect Getaway)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

17. Mill of the Stone Women (1960)
(dir. Giorgio Ferroni)
Shudder

A colorful Italian horror film from 1960 that feels like early Mario Bava mashed together with one of the AIP Corman/Poe films. Hans, a writer, travels to a remote Dutch island to research a sculptor who runs the titular “Mill of the Stone Women”, sort of a macabre wax museum style attraction but with statues made of stone instead of wax. While staying there Hans meets Elvie, the sculptor’s gravely ill daughter, who quickly falls in love with him despite Hans’ protests. He becomes entangled in a love triangle with Elvie and a woman he has known for years, and in her jealousy Elvie begins to act irrationally before she collapses from her illness and dies. OR DOES SHE!?

This is kind of a wild ride. The plot goes in directions that are sometimes predictable, but still sometimes surprising in the way it mashes a few different gothic horror tropes together. The ending is kind of bonkers and I loved it. It’s a great looking film too, with all kinds of colorful lighting and interesting sets. Wikipedia says this was the first Italian horror film to be shot in color, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this was a direct influence on Mario Bava’s color films and in turn the next several decades of Italian horror in general.

I enjoyed this a whole lot, and if you like ‘60s horror of any flavor (not just Italian, but Hammer and/or AIP as well) I highly recommend it.

4.5 missing women out of 5

18. Graveyard Shift (1990)
(dir. Ralph S. Singleton)
Amazon

A drifter finds work at a struggling textile mill, which he quickly discovers is overrun with rats. After pissing off the owner, he is assigned to work overnight shifts with a crew cleaning up the basement. It’s a terrible job on its own, but even worse is the creature that live down there with the rats… This is based on a short story by Stephen King, and that source material is really stretched thin here. It would’ve made a really solid 45-minute episode of an anthology series or The X-Files or something, but there just isn’t enough plot for a feature length film.

There is some good stuff in here though. Brad Dourif plays an exterminator and he is predictably excellent, even though his character has almost nothing to do with the main story. It’s a very fun scenery-chewing performance and the highlight of the film for sure. It also has some fun and gooey creature effects that I liked. Beyond those two things though there really isn’t anything going on here. The script is lousy, the cast (besides Dourif) is mediocre at best, and it spends too much time on boring characters and scenes that serve no purpose other than to pad out the runtime.

Overall maybe worthwhile for Brad Dourif’s scenes, but you would miss absolutely nothing by hitting that fast-forward button whenever he (or a gooey monster) isn’t on screen.

3 rats out of 5

Total: 18
Watched: The Exorcist | Exorcist II: The Heretic | We're All Going to the World's Fair | Irreversible | Amsterdamned | Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched | We Have Always Lived in the Castle | Valerie and Her Week of Wonders | Hollow Man | Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | Broadcast Signal Intrusion | The Spine of Night | Anaconda | Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives | The Sadness | The Exorcist III | Mill of the Stone Women | Graveyard Shift

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:siren: CHALLENGES :siren:

:witch: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched
- Watch a folk horror film
- OR Watch the documentary Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched

11.) Men
Alex Garland | 2022 | AMC Theater

I originally wanted to say that I think I appreciated the movie, more than I liked it but I feel like that’s too negative because I did actually like it. Jessie Buckley and Rory Kinnear give terrific performances and I think it looks great visually with some great effects at the end. Much like Eggnogium mentioned in their review, the tunnel echo score is really cool. Again, like Eggnogium mentioned, I feel like I probably built it up too much in my head based on the trailers. It’s still a very good movie and it’s worth seeing in the theater if you’re up to it.

Rating: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Total: 11/13
New: 10
Rewatches: 1
Challenges: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched (Men), 3. Rated PG (Saturday the 14th ), X. SECRET BONUS LIMITED TIME CHALLENGE (Friday the 13th Part 2), 12. All Hail the King (Firestarter (2022))
My Letterboxd list (in progress)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

El Dia de la Bestia

This was a recommendation from another poster in the thread. It's a quirky film, an odd mix of tones which is something personally I love. Given the subject matter this easily could've been dour and self-serious but instead it's darkly funny and at times absurd. The characters are actually very genuine though, and easy to become attached to and to root for. Also in the end it does deliver some solid tension and some unsettling moments, supported by well done creature effects.

It's a tough balance to get right, the black comedy and fun characters but then with enough genuine intensity that when you get to the last act the audience is feeling that tension and scared for what may happen to the characters they've grown to like. So I'm definitely happy to be able to add this film to the list of effective horror/comedies, because for me it's never been a very long list.

1. Intruder 2. Spookies 3. Subspecies 4. Megalodon Rising 5. The Spine of Night 6. Eyes of Laura Mars(Hidden Gems) 7. Prophecy 8. Diary of a Madman(The Price is Right) 9. El Dia de la Bestia

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This was like a good movie, but maybe just far too long for its own good. There's some wonderful imagery and some great build up of mania and frenzy, but then I was also kinda just waiting for it to move along. Like the visuals and the acting did all the heavy lifting of getting me into her head so I got it "she's going manic" now lets propel forward with the story. Could've easily shaved at least 20-30 minutes from this and I wouldnt have missed it. Like I said there was some great imagery in this one and some terrific acting and performances all around. Even Matt Smith managed to eek out something with this one even though he's been whiffing in a lot of projects I've seen him in recently (HELLO MORBIUS). Good flick, but needed some editing.

Out of 5

These two stars are only for the kills which are fantastic, but jesus this one was just kinda hard to sit through otherwise. I dug the killers outfit as well and I was on his side to be honest for getting back at these classmates for sexually humiliating him and then turning him into a crispy critter. I get it bud, but I dont think you needed to kill the janitor though. Either way just a real slog of a slasher to get through, but its got some very funny kills. Maybe good with some edibles and a beer?

Out of 5

This was my favorite of the two slashers I watched. Lean and mean and full of dumb college student ripe for the slashing. The teddy bear costume was also hysterical with the knives coming out of the paw. Comparatively also much more better acted and paced as well with some actually kind of spooky shots in this thing too. Just a real solid slasher that doesnt overstay its welcome and moves quick after its initial setup.

Out of 5

Complete Challenges:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

31 (47). Titane (2021)
Written and directed by Julia Ducournau
Watched on Hulu

I don’t get it.

I was pretty iffy about this going in. I loved Raw so I was very interested in what Ducournau followed it up with, but everything I heard about Titane gave me pause. I heard nearly nothing but praise but the kind of way people talked about it just made it seem like the kind of film I don’t go for or get at all and that panned out. There’s some interesting visuals and a lot fo style and maybe some ideas I’m curious about? I dunno. But the movie never hooked me anywhere. I saw a lot of comparisons to Cronenberg and that makes sense to me because I have the same reaction to a lot of his films. They just feel cold and detached in a way that leaves me detached and completely uninterested. Its not that I can’t engage with a flawed or outright villainous protagonist, its just that the film itself doesn’t seem to really care or invest or give me a reason to. Its just stuff happening that’s wild and weird and like that’s supposed to be enough? Raw felt like it had a very solid core character that really drove the narrative. This one really didn’t. I don’t know what I was supposed to be feeling or why I should care.

And like… if there’s a deeper theme or subtext to it it just went over my head completely. I’ve read one or two and I can kind of see them if I squeeze my eyes but none of them really feel like something I watched. Like is there an incestous thing? I guess maybe? Its weird. I can see it if I push it. A couple of odd looks from daughter to dad, dad “examining” her but not wanting to notice she’s pregnant because of who the daddy might be? I guess, maybe? If that’s subtext it feels buried DEEP. And I’m not entirely sure how it connects to her being a serial killer or how it pays off with the relationship with her new “dad”? I dunno. I really can’t connect the pieces at all. Vague pictures kind of come into view from a distance but they don’t actually fit when I try and make it clear.

I don’t know. I get why people would like this. Its stylish and shocking and lots of crazy stuff happens and weird sexual stuff. None of that works as a core for me. I need something deeper to hold those pieces together and I couldn’t find it in this film. So really I just found myself bored and confused. And I don’t really know what else to say about it. Just not for me.

- (48). Phantasm IV: Oblivion (1998)
Written and directed by Don Coscarelli
Watched on Peacock

It is remarkable how much of this film is just unused footage from the first film 20 years earlier. The whole thing feels completely pieced together and without any clear design. After the third film kind of put Mike and the Tall Man on the back burner as a sub story to focus on Reggie’s post apocalyptic adventure fighting Deadites this one puts Reggie on the back burner and focuses super heavy on Mike and the Tall Man. Which if it was the design maybe that would work… or if it was a pair of episodes of a tv show aired back to back. But its a bizarre movie construct that leaves me at a complete loss as to what the hell Phantasm even is. Apparently Coscarelli filmed this deliberately as a sort of prologue to a fifth film that was being developed by some other director that just never happened. And I guess that kind of explains the utter lack of a satisfying finale or why the whole film feels like slow exposition with no point. The Tall Man was once a nice guy a very long time ago. And something with tuning forks. That’s all I got. We time travel now. Why? I dunno. So we can have a random Civil War scene? The gently caress?

Of course even if Reggie is backburnered we still need to write in an utterly pointless subplot where he creeps on a hot lady. THAT’s Phantasm. The Tall Man, spheres, and Reggie being a creep.

I still get a kick out of them recasting Mike for a working actor and then having to switch back due to fan uproar only to confirm that yeah, the original kid is a bad actor. I think 90% of his lines in this movie are VOR. Its genuinely hilarious and the only think that entertained me through this film.

Remember the kid from 3? This film doesn’t. He got treated even worse than Elizabeth did. Don’t be an add on character in a Phantasm sequel. I hope Rocky got far away from them.

This is just an incoherent boring mess. I think the first film is great. I even have a certain amount of nostalgia and enjoyment of the next two. But I don’t get the level of super fandom that would enjoy this. I mean I’m sure its there. Someone demanded a 5th film. Things resonate with people and they spend decades just looking for more. And the fact that the first film is so vague and unclear about any answers probably just bred the fans who wanted so badly for backstory and continuation regardless of the quality. It seems clear Coscarelli never really had a plan for this stuff. The Tall Man and Phantasm were metaphors and a spooky story. It wasn’t meant to be a sci fi epic. He said he didn’t see the need for a second film and his sequels all feel like they’re taking from someone or something else and just making it up as they go. I guess part of me is curious to see how this all ends up. How old and bad they all look by then. What random poo poo gets cribbed from to finish this. Mostly I just want to watch V to close the book on it, quiet that nagging voice that bugs me when I don’t finish something, and so I never again feel the need to say “Oh, I never watched Phantasm V.. maybe I’ll do a binge.” Lets just put a stop to this here and now.

32 (49). Phantasm: Ravager (2016)
Directed by David Hartman; Written by David Hartman and Don Coscarelli
Watched on Peacock

<a href=https://boxd.it/eeDny><b>👻 HORRORx52 (2022 Edition) 👻</b></a>
<b>PROGRESS: 24/53</b>
<blockquote>49. Shown as part of Joe Bob Briggs's The Last Drive-in.</blockquote>

Well I’m done with that.

What to say about Phantasm V? Ok, lets try and be kind. If you’re one of those people who have been passionate Phantasm fans since for decades and care deeply about Reggie and Mike and the Tall Man than this is a fairly clear love letter and goodbye. And its a solid enough goodbye that zeroes in on the brotherly relationships and idea of family. I mean its clumsy. At one point Reggie’s offered a chance to have his family back and says he doesn’t want them as zombies but he’ll take Mike and Jody because they’re family. And its like… uh… Reggie? But much like Reggie you as a fan of Phantasm never actually cared about Reggie’s family. They didn’t have names or faces, they were just a plot device. You cared about Reggie and Mike presumably. And this film builds on that. It also at least tries to bring things back to where they started by kind of mirroring the idea of Reggie having dementia and this whole thing being his own grief and trauma the same as the first one might have just been Mike’s. Its a nice idea. The whole thing is a nice enough idea. Its fan service for people who care. And there’s a charm there if you want to see it.

And hell, it actually kind of offered up the closest thing to a franchise explanation for parallel dimensions they’re all just slipping between.

All that said, this is terribly made. Just terribly. The parallel dimensions or dementia things don’t really work at all because the directing and writing fails to really balance them in a way that works and just the idea of the entire franchise having been a delusion is a tough sell at this point. It also just looks bad. Its shot on some kind of home camera and looks like crap. The first film was cheap too but it worked, not just because I guess cheap 70s grainy video is better than clean cheap HD. But also because Coscarelli chopped his original film up in a way that kept it moving and flowing while Hartman just kind of lays out what feels like a series of chapters loosely connected to each other. I read some reviews that said this basically started as a bunch of shorts and was pieced together with an abandoned script. And yeah, that’s what it feels like. This whole thing feels frankensteined together awkwardly and cheaply. And it means even those kind of interesting, well intentioned ideas just fail to work.

And christ the CGI is terrible.

And of course no matter how old Reggie is we fit in a female character who only exists for him to be creepy to and die. I’m sure at this stage Phantasm fans find this charming and part of the package, and V certainly plays it with a certain amount of self awareness and humor. But its creepy and not charming to me.

But ultimately that’s the problem. This is a fan service film through and through and there’s just no reason to watch this if you aren’t a fan of the franchise and characters and things like the treatment of women. I mean there’s another reason. You can be like me and have a stupid compulsion to finish things and go years having abandoned a Phantasm watch before V and kept looking back at it annoyed you didn’t finish. So like I actually did get what I wanted out of this. I silenced that voice telling me to finish Phantasm. It can move on to telling me to finish Howling or Hellraiser or something. But I dunno. if you need some kind of closure from Phantasm that’s why this movie exists. Its a closing of the book. Otherwise? There’s really not anything here worth seeing.

33 (50). The Entity (1982)
Directed by Sidney J. Furie; Screenplay by Frank De Felitta; Based on The Entity by Frank De Felitta

sigh

This is a tough film to get through and a tough one for me tor really sum up. On one hand its a remarkable performance from Barbara Hershey, some effective scenes of horror, and a fairly coherent theme of the lack of help and further degradation a woman who is the victim of rape or abuse suffers when she goes looking for help. On the other hand this is a sleazy and exploitative film that takes a “true story” and flashes it up with very much not “based on a true story” elements and really kind of degrades Hershey over and over. A lot of people seem to feel the former outweighs or even justifies or cancels out the latter but to me it was just this very uneasy give and take that never felt worth it.

I really can’t overstate how good Hershey is here as a woman overwhelmed and scared with no one giving her any help. I also can’t overstate how brutal the work she’s given with it, whether its multiple scenes of her being graphically raped or spread eagle naked crying out for help. Its an ugly film and I feel as much for the actress as I do the character she played. I also feel for the original woman. Look, I don’t know what her deal is. I’m inclined to think we’re talking about a mentally ill woman and not a victim of ghost rape. But either way her story is being exploited and twisted and whatever pain she experienced is being simulated in a graphic and terrible way. Its just gross.

Another gross element of the film is the implication of incest. Apparently this was much more explicit in the original screenplay and the director removed a number of scenes to try and get rid of it, but the roots of it are still there and you can clearly see them. And not only is that incredibly gross but it seems fundamentally counter to the better idea of a woman who is the victim of abuse being unfairly maligned when she seeks help. Why would you counter that with a plausible implication that SHE is the abuser? What purpose does that serve except shock and sleaze?

And I think that’s a big problem. The film feels tonally at odds with what it wants to be. Furie is apparently one of those “I didn’t make a horror film” guys and for big parts of the film it definitely does feel like he’s trying to tell a psychological melodrama about a disturbed woman. But the problem is this is at direct odds with the genuinely supernatural horror elements we’re seeing. We know she really is being assaulted by something. So the sheer amount of time spent discussing how she isn’t, and the actual real clues the script leaves that this is repressed guilt for his incestous feelings or sexual regression and unhealthy relationships with men just feel hosed up and out of place. It feels like the film is trying to say she’s haunted AND she’s these things too. The tone and narrative is just so confused and clumsy that it felt undecided.

Ron Silver plays another one of these confused elements as the psychologist who very much feels like the villain of the story but doesn’t feel like the movie wants him to be. I’m not sure. What’s clear is that he’s taken an inappropriate and one sided interest in his patient and that no matter how many people come to her defense that she’s telling the truth he never even considers truly listening. He’s also incredibly patronizing and way crosses the line towards the end of the film to the point where he’s physically wrestling with Hershey. On the other hand he’s shown to push back against the other doctors who dismiss Hershey’s accounts as purely text book psychosis and in all fairness to him not feeding his patient’s likely delusion is probably something born out of a genuine desire to help. And ultimately he DOES save her life. Literally. And the paranormal scientists aren’t much better. They’re clearly putting her at risk in a giant mouse trap for their own purposes. He’s right about that and while things don’t quite work out as he expected he’s not entirely off either.

I’m not saying he’s NOT a villain. There’s a clear pattern in this film of the roadblocks and condescension Hershey’s character faces. And Silver’s doctor is not just a roadblock, he’s also one of the people who basically wants to use her in his case because of his own attraction to her. Its gross and messed up and obviously that’s the big thing a lot of people take away from the film but I’m not sure how much of it is consistent or intentional. Ultimately I think there’s strong ideas here and a brave and excellent performance at its core from Hershey but maybe the director of Superman IV and some guy who writes sleazy haunting books weren’t prepared to execute it properly. I don’t know. Obviously it does work for some people and maybe if you’re not as squeamish about repeated rape scenes or incest or “true story” exploitation or the possible mistreatment of actresses when they’re asked to do stuff like this then this will work a lot more for you. But I just felt gross the whole time and I feel like the messages the film is sending are very confused and not worth the effort.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

17. Kuroneko (1968)
"There are no such things as demons."
It's an adaptation (of sorts) of a Japanese folk story, qualifying it for the challenge. During a time of civil war, lovely samurai rape and murder Shige and her mother-in-law, Yone. Through some sort of magic involving the underworld, and cats, they come back as ghosts who lure lovely samurai into being ripped apart (as if they were big cats, chompin' on throats and clawing them and so on). Gintoki, another samurai, who is Shige's husband and Yone's son, is tasked with hunting down the ghosts who keep killing samurai. I've only seen one other Shindo film (Onibaba) and I'd say this is on par with it - spooky and moody, and beautiful to look at.

:spooky: 4/5 -- :witch: 1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched

Total Watched: 17 // GMM Challenges Complete: #13 (The Uninvited), #12 (The Tommyknockers), #11 (Def by Temptation), #10 (The Witchfinder General), #9 (Motel Hell), #8 (Kratt), #7 (replaced with Never Hike Alone: The Ghost Cut), #5 (Shadow of the Vampire), #4 (Repo! The Genetic Opera), #3 (The Changeover), #2 (Penda's Fen), #1 (Kuroneko)

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
10. Scanners

Filling in my biggest Cronenberg blind spots before Crimes of the Future. Definitely didn’t expect the famous head explosion to be like 5 minutes into the movie. After that the gore and horror is toned down until the climax, but boy are the practical effects on that climax loving awesome. Cronenberg a master of creepiness and isolation, maybe it’s just cause existenz was the first film of his I saw but I always get the vibes that his characters are just trapped in a nightmare reality they can’t escape. Weakest link here is definitely Stephen Lack in the lead, especially in the final scenes he’s just not able to deliver any lines with gravitas they need.

1) We’re All Going to the World’s Fair
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3) Scream 4
4) Scream 2022
5) You Won’t Be Alone
6) The Night House
7) Audition
8) Dracula (1931)
9) Men
10) Scanners

11) Videodrome
12) Us
13) Drag Me To Hell

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

9) Castle Freak (1995)

Challenge: Hidden Gems

And they're still hidden. I'll be blunt: Stuart Gordon was not a good director. He was a hack who got lucky with Re-Animator and spent most of the rest of his career trying to recapture the "magic" of adding tits and sexual assault to a classic horror story. Castle Freak is a particularly dire example, with poor acting even from Combs and Crampton, lousy pacing, risible attempts at scares and lacking even the slightest trace of charm or humour to mitigate any of its flaws. Especial credit goes to Jessica Dollarhyde - who never worked again - as the blind daughter who at one point skins her knee and looks at it to assess the damage.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
06. Aftermath (2021)
No screenshot, not pretty enough.

A couple try to repair their relationship with a change of scenery, but the only house they can afford was vacated by a murder-suicide. It's a Netflix horror movie, and I went in with tempered expectations, and they were met.

The horror elements mostly fell flat for me, and I blame this on the audio. It's just so blunt, constantly telling you exactly when something spooky was going on, which sucks all the tension out because there's no uncertainty. Like the main idea in the movie is the suspicion that there's someone sneaking around in your house, just out of view, so you want the audience to be jumping at shadows, examining the edge of the frame for strangers, you want to set off their pareidolia at every step. They gestured at this; the wife designs clothing, and there are mannequins all over the house. But after a while I stopped looking and just became bored, because I knew that if there was a half-second glimpse of the mysterious stranger, there's be a stinger, to make sure the audience didn't miss it I guess. In one scene, a character hears footsteps coming from upstairs, but I could barely make them out over the strings. It's astonishing to see a movie undercut so precisely by one element.

Aside from the weakness of the horror aspect, I enjoyed the parts that were just a marriage drama. I also enjoyed how, instead of having the dog just magically intuit something's wrong, they had the dog straight-up see exactly what was happening, and be unable to do anything about it.

Watch Housebound or The Invisible Man instead.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
10. 12 Hour Shift (2020) (first viewing)

Angela Bettis (May) is a junkie nurse whose organ trafficking side hustle involves slipping injections of bleach to terminal patients to speed the process along. But one night, an urgently-needed kidney goes missing, and our protagonist and her cohort are scrambling to get a replacement before the buyer comes looking. This film is billed in part as a horror comedy, but it's not scary and it's not funny. The thriller/crime tag fits more, as the movie is going for kind of a Coen Brothers vibe where the lowlife characters get in way over their heads as things start to spiral out of control and a body count builds up. But there's not much to grab onto, as the characters are either broad comic stereotypes or complete flatlines. There's not even any interesting gore to latch onto (and I am such a wimp when it comes to medical matters that I once passed out during my annual physical, so for a movie set in a hospital regarding murder and organ harvesting to not get to me at all is a colossal failing). I was excited to see another Bettis starring role, but this one left me pretty flat.

CHALLENGE: "Hidden Gems." (Thanks to Fran for compiling the last for this challenge. This one didn't work for me, but I did see others to check out in the future. I actually have one of them earmarked for one of my remaining challenges.)

---

CHALLENGES:
1. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched
2. Scream, Queen! Death Drop Gorgeous (2020)
3. Rated PG Watch any film from the Friday the 13th franchise Never Hike Alone (2017) and Never Hike in the Snow (2020)
4. Music of the Night Nocturne (2020)
5. Behind the Screams Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019)
6. The King in Yellow The Fifth Cord (1971)
7. Short Cuts (various short films) (misc)
8. A Perfect Getaway
9. Hidden Gems 12 Hour Shift (2020)
10. The Price is Right
11. Horror Noire Tales from the Hood (1995)
12. All Hail the King 1922 (2017)
13. Sins of the Past The Wolf Man (1941)

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
4. Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)
This is from A24 so I figured th- just kidding.

4. The Happiness of the Katakuris (2001)
(challenge: #4 Music of the Night)
"I'm with the US Navy. No, to be more precise, Britain's Royal Navy...well, just between you and me, I'm also a British secret agent. By order of Queen Elizabeth, give me your phone number."

My third Miike film after Audition and 13 Assassins, and a triumph. It has it all: unsettling claymation, slasher-POV for a guest approaching a bed&breakfast, outstanding physical comedy and slapstick (like the aftermath of the screenshot above), songs that start and stop arbitrarily and last for random periods of time, inappropriate amounts of visible breath in outdoor scenes given that it's supposed to be summer, a Japanese guy pretending to be a British-Japanese guy who speaks Japanese like a British guy, inexplicable blowing leaves, and more.

It even manages to have a coherent plot, as ridiculous as it is, and after rapid-fire goofiness for most of the movie the climax manages to pull out a surprise that was the last thing I expected, namely a hostage sequence that is deadly loving serious. And after that it brings it home.

I feel like rating this generously and also taking a half-point off for one of the jokes being a guy having an uncomfortably young girlfriend, so 8.5/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Movie 13: Child's Play (Scream, Queen)

We're friends 'til the end, remember?

Child's Play is kind of a ridiculous movie, isn't it? We have a serial killer who transfers his soul into a doll after he's shot during a police chase. The doll then proceeds to start killing the poo poo out of people, both innocent bystanders and former accomplices. The movie features numerous scenes of the camera holding on a goofy looking doll while ominous horror music plays, and if that isn't ridiculous then I don't know what is.

None of this is to say that Child's Play is a bad movie. I can see why it has the reputation it does, because the movie doesn't lean away from its ridiculousness. It revels in it. It's from that old new school of 80s horror movies that were a mixture of comedy and horror, kind of like Gremlins or A Nightmare on Elm Street. I've always had a soft spot for that stuff, being an 80s kid myself.

The movie has it all: bumbling cops trying to solve the crime wave in Chucky's spree, laughing off an increasing number of people insisting it's a possessed doll that's doing the killing. Psychologists insisting it's all the work of a troubled kid, a budding romance between the mom and our bumbling detective. The explanation for Chucky's powers being that he knew some voodoo guy who taught him (and whom Chucky then tortures with a voodoo doll he made). Some truly memorable acting from various people, and of course a lot of extremely 80s haircuts. It's awesome!

It's also kinda neat to watch the first movie in a long-running series that's become a staple of pop culture. Since it's the first movie, a lot of the concepts are still fresh and the movie's trying to play its cards close to its chest. It's quite a bit into the movie before we outright see Chucky doing anything, for a long stretch in the movie it's just blurry shapes flashing past in the background and the aforementioned ominous shots of a goofy-rear end doll.

Child's Play is the kind of movie you'd love to randomly catch late night on the TV, and if I'd seen it when I was younger, it definitely would've become a classic with me like Gremlins, the Goonies and other 80s movies I still love. All in all a good time!

:spooky::spooky::spooky:,5 / 5

My May 2022 Movies:
1. Saturday Morning Mystery, 2. Ghostbusters Afterlife (Rated PG), 3. Superstition, 4. Vampyr (Hidden Gems), 5. The People Under the Stairs (Horror Noire), 6. Rock & Roll Nightmare (Music of the Night), 7. Nosferatu (Sins of the Past), 8. Shadow of the Vampire (Behind the Screams), 9. Witchfinder General (The Price is Right), 10. Shorts (Short Cuts), 11. Creepshow (Hail to the King), 12. The Queen of Black Magic (Perfect Getaway), 13. Child's Play (Scream, Queen)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 21, 2022