Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
even though i got it at half price with my EAA membership i'm still considering shelling out again for the student edition of classic SW. i missed that you can still subscribe for 99/yr with bullshit student/school info until after i'd already paid for 3DE, alas

are there any awful catches or exceptions with that approach? will i get the classic SW (student) experience we all know and appreciate in hindsight? if it's still the case that 3DE files are still version-locked, maybe there's no point to even getting started designing stuff with 3DE if i can't take it with me except in stripped-down .step format

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
not editing, this is worth it’s own post:
Turns out you can buy a years’ subscription to Student SW2021+ two exam serial numbers from Titans of CNC for just $20 USD if you register with them as a ‘student’ first. Might need an American VPN to get the discount but i can certify that it works. Even better than the original EAA deal, god drat. thus ends my brief 3D EXPERIENCE. scratch that, i’m still hoping to EXPERIENCE the 3D 30-DAY REFUND/CANCELLATION WINDOW

this whole debacle really should serve as a case study for how not to push your userbase to cloud services. even if they listened to users and completely overhauled it to make it “tolerable” for next year, everybody would still be poisoned against Cloud SW for at least a good decade or so

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 21, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Totally off-topic, but since we're bitching about badly designed software...

If anyone hasn't watched any of Tantacrul's videos about music software, they're amazing. He's a composer and UI/UX dude who absolutely holds nothing back. He's very funny as well. Dorico has a similarity-bad download/install experience.

https://youtu.be/dKx1wnXClcI
https://youtu.be/4hZxo96x48A
https://youtu.be/S-3wEC6Fj_8

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Commodore_64 posted:

Granted I am now used to its quirks and someday when I have the spare brain cycles I will try out the CAM I REALLY wanted when it launched.

As someone that has to use that CAM at work, I am in great anticipation of the weird schadenfreude expectation I have in a "misery loves company" way I'm going to feel when you start encountering all of the anti-intuitive aspects of that software.

I've posted about them at length and been probated in this and other threads (CNC and 3DP threads over the past few years) when talking about it for disparaging things I said about the developers.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

All this bullshit with SW just makes me think of Windows back in the early-mid 2000s, and how the licensing was such a pain in rear end, and expensive, and piracy was rampant.

Since they kinda straightened that out, made things a lot easier and cheaper,I almost feel some kind of goodwill towards them. I can only imagine that piracy numbers have gone down drastically too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yeah there was a minute where windows was actually kinda painless and it was great.

Now every 3 days I have to click through their make a windows account page and or tell win 11 to gently caress off.

Also fusion has a pain in the rear end I just want to download you. Every time I have to sign up for the free trial. Why is there no button to say I already bought it just login and dl.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

criming later SW editions isn't worth loving around with because of how aggressively Dassault goes after people who aren't 100% successful at stopping the program from dialling home and snitching. Or so I've heard.

I think they target people attached to a business sounding email address even more aggressively, but they simultaneously have their IP law firm send you a threatening letter while a 3DS rep strong arms you to pay for a subscription equivalent to whatever version was installed before sending your "case" back to the IP firm.

So if you installed Premium that happened to have the Inspection add on to mess around with a few random grabcad files or something, that's $15,000 they're coming after you for right off the bat.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
enjoyed this long post about 3DE from the VAR perspective: https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=18831#p18831

quote:

2 cents about 3DEXPERIENCE from me as VAR employee... I'll say as much as I can without violating NDA, but still from anonymous account, just in case. I am a software developer by trade. Started working with SW in 2015, was always in love with it, despite it's many quirks. As a developer, I have always criticized the direction SW was taking with new releases - every year it is new features, most of which were never anticipated or planned in the core code, fixes on top of fixes that break more than they fix, UI getting more and more inconsistent, major issues that can't be solved without breaking backwards compatibility. I've always said that SW desperately needs a full, complete re-write from scratch, otherwise it will only get worse every year...

And despite all that, SW is light years ahead the abomination that 3DEXPERIENCE platform is. This platform should have been exactly what I meant - a fresh, clean solution that consolidates the best SW and other connected softwares have to offer, learning from the past mistakes and building a solid core code that is adaptable to future changes. But somehow, 3DEXPERIENCE turned out to be exact opposite - the worst example of "design by committee" that I have ever seen. There were some good ideas and some honest attempts in isolated parts of it - like xDesign, where devs really tried to consolidate core features and UI (for example, realizing that Boss Extrude, Cut and Revolve is basically the same feature with different parameters, so they can be combined into one super-feature), which is what I was hoping for. But with core code of the platform being such a terrible mess, these few good bits are just lost in a sea of bugs, errors and horrendous lag at every mouse click.

I say this after having spent more than a thousand hours learning, testing and debugging this platform, because about a year ago cooperate gave us a directive that we must forget SW Desktop, and shift our focus to the platform. We, technicians, went through A LOT of training to get the hang of the it so we can provide adequate support to our clients. I lost count of how many times I "rage quit" because literally nothing is working. Not imported SW projects, not fresh projects without SW, not even the official demos that we are somehow supposed to show to our clients. Crashes, errors without any technical info, non responsive UI which often makes you wonder if your mouse click was not registered or if you just need to wait 5 more minutes for it to register, messed up files, duplicates, fouled file names, revision clashes, tools disabling themselves for no apparent reason, disappearing geometry, parts with graphics that look like the original Super Mario even on the ultra-high settings...

Debugging is a total nightmare, requiring to set up fiddle traces for the browser almost every time. Personally, I have submitted over 50 tickets to the 3DEXPERIENCE tech team, reporting these issues. Average response time - 2 weeks to each message, almost exclusively from people who speak worse English than my dog, half the time they don't even understand the issue, and sometimes obviously try to downplay it. Of these 50 tickets only around 10 of them were "solved" (meaning they admitted it is a bug, and promised to fix it in the next update - not a single one was fixed so far). And that's just me. Some of my colleagues have submitted far more tickets. When I ask them about it, the usual response is a moan followed by "please don't talk about it".

I even tried using the platform with my hobby SW projects - really, really simple stuff, small assemblies - mostly to make use of revisions, file history and centralized database, nothing fancy - and thank heavens I made full backups of everything, because every single time I tried, my project files were messed up beyond any hope of recovery. Not to mention constant crashes of both SW and the platform in the browser. And even when it works, even the simplest actions, like navigation, saving, loading, opening a sketch (in the browser) takes literal seconds to complete... Sometimes in the double digits. It just makes you want to shoot yourself in the head.

And despite that, we are pressured to sell this abomination to our clients, to market it as the next step in PLM and CAD design. Even as VARs, we really have no say in it. I feel terrible for the clients who have already went on the platform - and they hate us now, flooding us with support tickets that we can't solve, because there are no solutions. This really sits on my conscience - I wish to tell them "don't buy this crap, stay with desktop SW and PDM"... but we're not supposed to say that, no matter what. All hail the glorious platform.

All this is to say... Stay away from this platform if you can. Don't let your workplace management fall into the trap and buy into this "ecosystem". You will go crazy. 3DEXPERIENCE is not just "unpolished" or "still needs work". The very foundations of it are programmed completely wrong, and no amount of patching can fix it. The only hope is for the Dassault to ditch it completely, and start from scratch. Personally, I'd rather they just returned full focus on SW Desktop, and "sacrificed" SW 2023 and SW 2024 (at least) for bug fixes rather than new features...

Seriously though, it seems to me that 3DEXPERIENCE has zero chance of ever becoming even a remotely usable product. Yet Dassault is blindly rolling it's most aggressive sales campaign to date, that can only lead to an eventual disaster. I don't see them ever making it work, but nor can I see a way for them to back out of it. And it is quite scary.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

sharkytm posted:

I feel like this is a fundamental issue. They want to market a paid product that is, as you put it, rife with usability issues. Make a viable, usable product FIRST. Don't release a half baked neutered version that totally sucks to install and use and then ask your PAYING users to troubleshoot it. Fusion actually did this right: release a free product, improve it, and when it's really useful and relatively polished, start charging for it.

3DS has it backwards. It's among the many user-unfriendly poo poo they do. I know you're just a VAR, but it drives me nuts. I'm still pissed about them killing online licensing for SW. It's literally half the reason I dropped the $5500 on a legal copy rather than sticking with the hacked Russian version. Now I'm stuck with it on one machine at home and going through the annoying de-register, re-register process every time I want to do design work on my laptop (I sure hope the servers aren't doing maintenance). At least it spares me from the agony of the online license system using the MAC address as part of the internal scheme so if you use a randomized MAC (the default option for Windows 10 on Wi-Fi like you'd use on a laptop), your license gets hosed up every time you deactivate to switch it to another machine and you've dared to reboot since the license was activated (like you do with a laptop). What does the VAR say? Known technical issue, call us and we can reset the license. Super helpful when I'm on the road (using a laptop).

Saying it's "technical issues" with "technical solutions" is pretty tone deaf. You ever been annoyed by Word's constant formatting gently caress ups when you paste from another document, insert a picture, or try to change formatting using the default toolbar instead of the overcomplicated formatting toolbar in the ribbon? The same poo poo that's been happening for over a decade? "Technical issue with a technical solution".

I don't know what to tell you - UX problems are, definitionally, technical problems with technical solutions. I'm not experiencing these problems, so it's clear that this is something fixable, and all I can do is pass the buck. I lucked into getting hooked in with the Makers Offer folks because I think it's a cool project. You are right, and I wish I had more power or pull, but I hope it helps to have someone in your corner who can actually, directly, and consistently check in about unfucking these things. FWIW, that quote from the 3D printing thread was made based entirely on the feedback from here - I'm not trying to give out bad advice when multiple people told me that same day that they're having problems with it.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i'm installing it on a new computer right now and lmao this fuckin thing is all i can think about. whoever greenlit this as the web portal interface for the new hobbyist-geared software edition should be sent to a reeducation camp. i'm plenty computer literate and i can't figure out how to download the fuckin installer or otherwise access the software i just paid for. absolutely nothing on this entire menu is of any use to me, nor to any actual end-user. if i didn't have an EAA installation guide assuring me they're going to send me a very exclusive Access Link for SW (do not lose this link bookmark plz!!!), some time after the Subscription Successful link, i'd be flipping my poo poo. never let a room full of c-suite freaks steer the ship on an engineering tool

Fully agreed, and I have specifically passed along our shared conclusion that the entire platform feels like some MBA decided what manufacturing software should work like.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Just wait until your subscription is lapsed and it locks you out of the entire interface. It took me most of an hour to figure out I had to go back to the main SWx website and pay again as if I was getting a new license.

Most web based services trip over themselves to take your money but this one was actively hostile.

I wish I had any clue what was up in their direct sales back-end, and this type of stuff makes it painfully obvious that this is a company that relies on resellers. They had to delay international rollouts in several countries because something was doofy with their GDPR compliance 🙃

Ambrose Burnside posted:

not editing, this is worth it’s own post:
Turns out you can buy a years’ subscription to Student SW2021+ two exam serial numbers from Titans of CNC for just $20 USD if you register with them as a ‘student’ first. Might need an American VPN to get the discount but i can certify that it works. Even better than the original EAA deal, god drat. thus ends my brief 3D EXPERIENCE. scratch that, i’m still hoping to EXPERIENCE the 3D 30-DAY REFUND/CANCELLATION WINDOW

this whole debacle really should serve as a case study for how not to push your userbase to cloud services. even if they listened to users and completely overhauled it to make it “tolerable” for next year, everybody would still be poisoned against Cloud SW for at least a good decade or so

Lol for real? I hate Titan Gilroy and that's a loving steal.

All told, I'm sorry this whole thing is a pain in the rear end. I really do appreciate everyone sharing their experience - I managed to get this team to add CAM to the Makers Offer, so I hope that the wider-scope parts of the entire 3DEXPERIENCE platform can get fixed, too.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Hey folks, I was sent here from the 3D printing thread. I'm trying to gauge where I'd go or what to use to edit a model as an extreme novice. If I have a 3D model of something, in this case it's a mouse, how difficult would it be to convert the top to a flat shape with the same surface area and separate it into different quadrants to essentially make multiple stencils to cover the entire surface area? Please tell me if I am dumb and an idiot and to gently caress off.

For example I'd like to be able to arbitrary produce something like this for each mouse I had modeled

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is a stencil here? Like a vinyl wrap? And it's totally flat? Should be able to export that flat part as a drawing and import it to photoshop or illustrator/gimp etc

For a curved object like you linked to, I'd maybe print it first, wrap it manually, then flatten the wrap and photograph with a ruler, then trace the flattened wraps in illustrator then introduce to your workflow

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Oh no, not a wrap, I was more thinking I'd like to make cookie-cutter-esque 3D printed objects in the shape of whatever mice I'm using at the time and not have to go through this annoying process for fitting the back/butt/sides perfect every time and trimming them down etc. Basically cookie-cutters for arbirarily different shaped mice that were broken into quadrant like the ones I linked above. 3D models for mice have become quite common and easy to get, so I was wondering what the level of effort would be to generally do this if I wanted to switch mice or try a few different types of grip tape.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Oh no, not a wrap, I was more thinking I'd like to make cookie-cutter-esque 3D printed objects in the shape of whatever mice I'm using at the time and not have to go through this annoying process for fitting the back/butt/sides perfect every time and trimming them down etc. Basically cookie-cutters for arbirarily different shaped mice that were broken into quadrant like the ones I linked above. 3D models for mice have become quite common and easy to get, so I was wondering what the level of effort would be to generally do this if I wanted to switch mice or try a few different types of grip tape.

I do things like this at work with recreating customer parts for prototypes. I scan the object on a flatbed scanner and import it into Solidworks and just trace it. It works surprisingly well.

After you have the outside shape it should be pretty simple to trim it into pieces in CAD.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey hole wizards, I continually forget where the cool kids talk about Fusion 360 so hopefully this isn’t too far off base.

What is the F360 workflow to accomplish something like this:

The origin shape is beyond simple, but when I press the inner edge inward, it curves with a convex shape rather than concave. Which makes sense based on what I’m asking it to do, but I’m not sure what a proper way to get a convex “fillet” would be. Or even if that’s the right terminology.

I’m one of those “3 times a year” F360 users, only pulling it out when I want to whip up something quick to 3D print that is easy in my head, but turns into a full day of frustration when I’m not immediately good at this complex application that people spend their careers mastering :sigh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe draw a section and extrude it around the circle instead? Can make it exactly the profile you want then.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

some kinda jackal posted:

Hey hole wizards, I continually forget where the cool kids talk about Fusion 360 so hopefully this isn’t too far off base.

What is the F360 workflow to accomplish something like this:

The origin shape is beyond simple, but when I press the inner edge inward, it curves with a convex shape rather than concave. Which makes sense based on what I’m asking it to do, but I’m not sure what a proper way to get a convex “fillet” would be. Or even if that’s the right terminology.

I’m one of those “3 times a year” F360 users, only pulling it out when I want to whip up something quick to 3D print that is easy in my head, but turns into a full day of frustration when I’m not immediately good at this complex application that people spend their careers mastering :sigh:

If you use the fillet tool on an inside corner in will make a concave fillet. You might try that and see if you can make it big enough to cover the whole thing.

Otherwise make a sketch of half the cross section and then Revolve that around the central vertical axis.

Or model a sphere and use that as a tool via the combine command to remove the concave are of your part.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I simplified the example but in my ideal scenario the “hole” isn’t in the centre, which I probably should have mentioned, so revolving would be more difficult. I did pick up on the inside edge fillet thing after you mentioned it, and got exactly what I needed by doing a primary perimeter sketch, extruding it up the thickness of my base, offsetting the exterior and extruding that up the total height I needed, then filleting the joining internal edge. I probably butchered the terminology but thanks for putting me on the right path.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

some kinda jackal posted:

I simplified the example but in my ideal scenario the “hole” isn’t in the centre, which I probably should have mentioned, so revolving would be more difficult. I did pick up on the inside edge fillet thing after you mentioned it, and got exactly what I needed by doing a primary perimeter sketch, extruding it up the thickness of my base, offsetting the exterior and extruding that up the total height I needed, then filleting the joining internal edge. I probably butchered the terminology but thanks for putting me on the right path.
Glad it worked out!

If in future you wanted to do something similar and needed to do it as a revolve because it was a more complex shape, you can make an axis wherever you need it. There are several options under the 'Contruction' menu.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Does fusion have a sweep tool? That's usually the best way to run a certain profile along a certain path.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Does fusion have a sweep tool? That's usually the best way to run a certain profile along a certain path.

Yeah, I was thinking this is trivially easy in Solidworks but don't know what they call the equivalent command in Fusion.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Yes it does, and that would probably work too. I've only messed around with sweeps a few times and am still not exactly sure what the 'right' way to use it is. I've had some problems orienting the profile in the right direction and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yes it does, and that would probably work too. I've only messed around with sweeps a few times and am still not exactly sure what the 'right' way to use it is. I've had some problems orienting the profile in the right direction and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I don't have too much experience with Fusion, but for most problems I've had with sweeps, the root cause was the path not being perpendicular to the cross section at the point of intersection, so you end up extruding some funky projection of what you intended.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DC to Daylight posted:

I don't have too much experience with Fusion, but for most problems I've had with sweeps, the root cause was the path not being perpendicular to the cross section at the point of intersection, so you end up extruding some funky projection of what you intended.

This is exactly the problem I’ve usually had. I wish I could make a single sketch of whatever profile and then sweep it along multiple edges. I would like for example to draw an roundover profile and sweep it along all four edges of a tabletop, but I’ve struggled with being able to do that and wind up redrawing the profile on each edge and funny things sometimes happen in the corners where the two profiles should meet.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is exactly the problem I’ve usually had. I wish I could make a single sketch of whatever profile and then sweep it along multiple edges. I would like for example to draw an roundover profile and sweep it along all four edges of a tabletop, but I’ve struggled with being able to do that and wind up redrawing the profile on each edge and funny things sometimes happen in the corners where the two profiles should meet.

Great example of a use case. It really says something that the easiest workflow (in my mind) would be to draw a quadrant of the tabletop (so the sweep path will be an L shape around the corner and terminate somewhere on the X and Y axes), then mirror it twice.

edit: I think I got confused the first time around. Can you not sweep along an arbitrary path in Fusion?

DC to Daylight fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 8, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

For the table top example, can you give each corner of the table top a really tiny fillet? That ought to get the swept profile to propagate

E: thinking about it, it’ll exaggerate the round so never mind. I might fiddle with that.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 8, 2022

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
If I wanted a Solidworks Lite that’s more affordable for commercial use, what’s a good pick? tryna sell my employer on a general-purpose cad platform- they’re not primarily CAD designers but it would be a useful asset for a lot of tasks- and SW is way more CAD than they need, but i’m strong with SW and it’s workflows. Right now i’m using Rhino’s (v generous) 90-day trial but i’m not fluent enough with it to hit the ground running and work effectively with it. Rhino also has a very gnarly learning curve for non-designers, and it’d be very useful for other people to have some limited ability to tweak/iterate designs.

e: if your answer is fusion, gimme an alternate, i’m a big sulky baby about it

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Alibre CAD is something I’ve been meaning to check out for a while. Permanent, stand-alone licenses and there are CAM options, too.

I’ve been wanting to snag a license for a while but all my money keeps jumping into other things.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
I have been using Alibre Design Expert for my CAD needs since 2011. It is a solid program for a reasonable price and does everything I need it to. Very large (1000+ parts) assemblies are not handled quite as well as Solidworks. It is also missing mesh import which is a bit of a bummer if you are trying to use a STL as a reference.

The licensing is also pretty good in that you can release and transfer between computers without calling anyone.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ambrose Burnside posted:

If I wanted a Solidworks Lite that’s more affordable for commercial use, what’s a good pick? tryna sell my employer on a general-purpose cad platform- they’re not primarily CAD designers but it would be a useful asset for a lot of tasks- and SW is way more CAD than they need, but i’m strong with SW and it’s workflows. Right now i’m using Rhino’s (v generous) 90-day trial but i’m not fluent enough with it to hit the ground running and work effectively with it. Rhino also has a very gnarly learning curve for non-designers, and it’d be very useful for other people to have some limited ability to tweak/iterate designs.

It's fusion. Autodesk sucks but for $500 fusion slaps.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ambrose Burnside posted:

They all have a gnarly learning curve. Rhino's the non-Autodesk non-Solidworks industrial-grade option, beyond that you're talking, like, Blender and FreeCAD

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 19, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

After a whole lot of false starts, I finally figured out how to do spiral reeding in fusion:

It's a real awkward and clunky workaround since fusion doesn't have an easy way to make a helical plane, but I learned some knew tricks and found out about this whole new tab I'd never touched before called 'surfaces'

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

honda whisperer posted:

It's fusion. Autodesk sucks but for $500 fusion slaps.

That's the yearly price, no?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rectal Placenta posted:

That's the yearly price, no?

It is. There's yearly upgrade options too. 1k per year for the machining extension for example.

The stock $500 option does great for 99% of use cases ATM. The 1k machining extension adds inspection probing and simultaneous 5 axis tool paths.

They have it on sale for $350 a couple times a year too.

It's cheap for pro use but overpriced for hobbyists.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

After a whole lot of false starts, I finally figured out how to do spiral reeding in fusion:

It's a real awkward and clunky workaround since fusion doesn't have an easy way to make a helical plane, but I learned some knew tricks and found out about this whole new tab I'd never touched before called 'surfaces'

Yeah, surface modeling is generally the best way to get more advanced geometry.

I think in SOLIDWORKS you’d be able to achieve similar results creating helices and using an intersection curve command. Then you can sweep boss or sweep cut the desired geometry. Does Fusion have a similar tool?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Against this thread's advice and my own better judgement I tried buying Solidworks for makers earlier.

Fortunately Dassault's website reckons my login deets are invalid even though they worked the other day and the password reset link never sends me an email. That's fine though because I can't see the monthly option that's all I wanted anyway, so gently caress me I guess. :shrug:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

jammyozzy posted:

Against this thread's advice and my own better judgement I tried buying Solidworks for makers earlier.

Fortunately Dassault's website reckons my login deets are invalid even though they worked the other day and the password reset link never sends me an email. That's fine though because I can't see the monthly option that's all I wanted anyway, so gently caress me I guess. :shrug:

Welcome to the Dassault experience. It only gets worse from here.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

sharkytm posted:

D'Assault experience

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It's definitely been an experience, but maybe not the 3DEXPERIENCE™️ I was supposed to get.

The reset email never worked and I still can't login so I've said gently caress it and gone back to tinkering with FreeCAD. Coming from SW/NX the workflow is maddening at times but for free software it's incredible what it can do.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There’s an NX Student Edition you can download. It’s pretty limited in export capabilities, but it is free if you want to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m not sure if they always had it and I just noticed or what, but Alibre CAD has a hobbyist license:

https://www.alibre.com/atom3d/

$150 to figure out a new software ain’t bad. Especially considering that 3DX Makers is $100/year. Looks like it includes CAM, too.

I'm just gonna edit this so I'm not doing three posts in a row on this thread no matter how much I like CAD :v:

The 3DX Makers folks are posting a usability survey if you want to give feedback. They're even asking if folks want to be available for 1:1 meetings with the UX team to unfuck it. Looks like they're actually wanting to fix it:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/makersurvey

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 8, 2022