Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Like someone else said French dispatch doesn’t let itself breathe even when it hits. IMO It’s visually impressive but the nonstop narration ruins it. Watching it feels like being slapped repeatedly with a French copy of the New Yorker for an hour and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I started Bosch since I heard good things about it both here and elsewhere, but I gotta say after the first episode my impression is a bit mixed. The actual detective work was well done, but the opening in particular featured some pretty rancid copaganda what with the whole "hard-bitten cop who doesn't play by the rules gets unfairly hounded by the meanie IA just because he killed a guy" thing. Does it get better about that as the series goes on, or at least less in-your-face? Or is that more something you just gotta put up with to get to the good parts?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

Care to spoil the weirdest stuff?

(Rescue Rangers) Well, if you ever thought to yourself watching the original show "Were Gadget and Zipper loving?", the answer is a responding "Yep!" as they're now married with 42 children.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My wife loves the Paddington movie thank you for the rec

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
If I know nothing about Paddington, would I enjoy the movies? They seem to be very highly praised.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I know nothing about it either but it’s really cute and well directed. There’s sight gags in every shot and it’s just overall good vibes

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BisterdDave posted:

If I know nothing about Paddington, would I enjoy the movies? They seem to be very highly praised.

I've only seen the first one and I loved it (having no knowledge of Paddington before). It's just super charming and very well done.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Exceedingly good vibes. Those movies give off a strong air of pleasantness. Especially Paddington 2.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you can handle the concept of "this bear talks and can live in someone's house, this is uncommon enough that you don't see it happening anywhere else but not enough so that anyone would be shocked" you'll be fine.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Perestroika posted:

So I started Bosch since I heard good things about it both here and elsewhere, but I gotta say after the first episode my impression is a bit mixed. The actual detective work was well done, but the opening in particular featured some pretty rancid copaganda what with the whole "hard-bitten cop who doesn't play by the rules gets unfairly hounded by the meanie IA just because he killed a guy" thing. Does it get better about that as the series goes on, or at least less in-your-face? Or is that more something you just gotta put up with to get to the good parts?

Did you hear good things about the show from 53 year old, Tom Clancy-loving dads? Cause that's the target audience.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

What's there to know about Paddington? He's a bear that shows up, there's not a lot of lore.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I feel like the people who hype Paddington 2 as the best are the same ones that hyped up Toy Story 2 back in the day.

Nihonniboku posted:

She Hulk starts August 17 on Disney Plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gim2kprjL50

Looks fun, but the CG She Hulk is looking a little uncanny valley

I'm only interested if Charlie Cox is one of the antagonists. As a lawyer, no cape poo poo. I am only here for superhero law stuff.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Bananaquiter posted:

I feel like the people who hype Paddington 2 as the best are the same ones that hyped up Toy Story 2 back in the day.

I'm only interested if Charlie Cox is one of the antagonists. As a lawyer, no cape poo poo. I am only here for superhero law stuff.

I haven’t seen Paddington one. But I went back and rewatched toy story two and it does hold up imo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The French Dispatch is Wes Anderson at the peak of his style, just effortlessly showing off his filmmaking talent. Also excellent cast of course...
But, I found most of the New Yorker-rear end characters and plots pretty tedious, well-worn...all these tired trite cliche ruminations on art/1968/etc. It's no surprise that the one part with any heart is Wes just having Jeffrey Wright basically play James Baldwin. It's hard to go wrong there, it's the least creative work Wes has to expend, the one with the least of his fingerprints, and not coincidentally it's the best part. it's the only part with any staying power or resonance (tilda swinton/adrien brody/edward norton were silly fun at least).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Man, the original Top Gun is such a complete bore. No stakes, annoying characters and it's so obviously just stock footage of jets flying around cut with green screen of them in the cockpits. It really really really doesn't hold up.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

mcmagic posted:

Man, the original Top Gun is such a complete bore. No stakes, annoying characters and it's so obviously just stock footage of jets flying around cut with green screen of them in the cockpits. It really really really doesn't hold up.

Yeah, it was nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Tom Cruise is such a goober in it too.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

"Stock footage" isn't the right term for it any more than watching stunt drivers in cars is "stock footage." Those jet flights were performed and shot for Top Gun. It's just really hard to practically film and edit high speed aircraft maneuvers in a way that both reads legibly and as intense action. So in 1986 they basically went with the vehicle equivalent of a shaky-cam fistfight scene.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah, it was nowhere near as good as I was expecting. Tom Cruise is such a goober in it too.

*snaps teeth at you*

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of those movies where you just remember the soundtrack and your mind fills in the movie as “good, right?”

bred
Oct 24, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Did you hear good things about the show from 53 year old, Tom Clancy-loving dads? Cause that's the target audience.

Ya I like the books but not the Bosch character. He sees himself as a righteous defender but according to his code. He's an old man who gets things done but no one likes working with him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
eh i also rewatched Top Gun last week and i thought it did hold up pretty well

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Perestroika posted:

There's an important bit that sometimes got lost on the forum that Bosch is really good...if you like cop/detective stories. If you're not picking up what it's putting down, then it's nothing special.

For the scene in the opener, season 1 spoilers, The show ultimately is clear enough settling on a point similar to how Justified treated Raylan. If you haven't seen Justified maybe check it out too. It's obvious that Bosch did a technically legal murder for vigilante reasons and the show's clear that it's not a great thing even if it doesn't condemn it. Bosch is gray area at best within the show's logic.

Some of the later seasons deal with Bosch going to worse and worse places and treat it as a bad thing.

The show overall kind of drifts back and forth toward copaganda stuff and usually comes out alright. The only egregious one I remember is a trash sub-story in like season 4 or 5 where a case integrity unit has the audacity to review a shady case Bosch did. It's all because Bosch's crazy ex has an ax to grind :). It sucked enough to about make me give up the show but the ending's not terrible and I don't think they ever dropped back to that point.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Perestroika posted:

I think I made an almost identical post when I started Bosch and got the same vibe from the first episode. I stuck with it and ending up loving the show, and don't think it gets to far into copaganda stuff.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MixMasterMalaria posted:

My main complaint was that cell shaded Chip looked weird and they should have just animated him by hand to contrast with CG Dale.

I've seen a lot of people say this, but I gotta say that I really didn't notice outside of a certain difference in how some Z-axis movement is accomplished.

Disney killed it's 2D animation department and laid everyone off in the time between Princess and the Frog (2007) and The Pooh Movie (2011), they were not going to produce feature-length hand drawn animation for the first time in a decade just for a Disney+ feature of the week. Corporate has a tendency to specifically target Disney Afternoon nostalgia projects as low-brow filler for the devoted, since the one time Disneyland did a fireworks show for C&D/TaleSpin/etc a few years ago it was when the castle was buried under scaffolding and most of the rides were closed for renovation so the audience was mostly the Kool-Aid crowd who would go to Disney even if the pin stand was the only thing open.

I actually thought the movie was a pretty good production considering who they had tailored it for.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 21, 2022

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I thought it was good. The writing was above average and it felt like they knew what sort of tone they were going for and kept it consistent. The extensive cameos outside Disney IP helped, and had a good blend of nostalgia/genre/comedy. Felt like a good follow-up to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. My main complaint was that cell shaded Chip looked weird and they should have just animated him by hand to contrast with CG Dale. Maybe they intended to but the switch to streaming cut the budget? Still felt good enough for a theatrical release and overall exceeded my expectations.

The director Akiva Schaffer was on the podcast Scott Hasn't seen yesterday and ended up talking about the production of this movie quite a bit. The budget was never cut surprisingly but they also couldnt get them to budge on increasing the budget. So there were a few things they had to cut with the animation when.it became clear there was no way to get it done.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 21, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The 2D animation in Chip n' Dale just looks like a more polished version of Joel Haver's youtube stuff. It's clearly not hand-drawn but I think it looks fine.

I thought the movie was enjoyable. It's got plenty of pandering but it's interesting to see that Disney is capable of producing something in 2022 that leans closer to Who Framed Roger Rabbit than WB's Space Jam 2, which was just awful.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So apparently the upcoming season of Stranger Things isn't even the last one?! Given the constant media promos, the two hour long episodes, the $30 million per episode budget, and all the stars talking about what an amazing journey it's been and how this season is really going to tie everything together, I just assumed Netflix was going all out for the big finale. But no, there's still another season after this :geno:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hm. Well it’s not a huge deal for me because I love the show. But I hope they find an ending for the characters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Glottis posted:

The 2D animation in Chip n' Dale just looks like a more polished version of Joel Haver's youtube stuff. It's clearly not hand-drawn but I think it looks fine.

I thought the movie was enjoyable. It's got plenty of pandering but it's interesting to see that Disney is capable of producing something in 2022 that leans closer to Who Framed Roger Rabbit than WB's Space Jam 2, which was just awful.

Missed opportunity by not having a joke about the MMO.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wizardofloneliness posted:

So apparently the upcoming season of Stranger Things isn't even the last one?! Given the constant media promos, the two hour long episodes, the $30 million per episode budget, and all the stars talking about what an amazing journey it's been and how this season is really going to tie everything together, I just assumed Netflix was going all out for the big finale. But no, there's still another season after this :geno:

Nope. Season 4 is about to premiere, and it's split into two parts. Season 5 will be the last.

The younger kids are going to be in their 20s when that finally airs, and the older kids will be in their 30s.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LifeLynx posted:

Love Death + Robots Season 3 is out! It's a mixed bag.

Three Robots: Exit Strategies - I wanted more of these characters, but I also wanted them to not hit me over the head with reminders about how much current events suck. I also think it steps all over the first one's worldbuilding.

Bad Travelling - A+. Watching a scared ship crew trying to appease a giant crab and the power struggle that ensued was so much fun to watch.

The Very Pulse of the Machine - Trippy, but great visuals alone aren't really my thing. Reminds me of that Blue one some people seemed to love from an earlier season. I'm not the best person to review this one, sorry.

Night of the Mini Dead - Cute and fun, like someone set up little animated dioramas of a zombie apocalypse from start to finish. I saw so many little details and I'm sure there were plenty that I missed.

Kill Team Kill - Gung-ho soldiers encounter a beast. Hyperviolent gory animation with a whole lot of swearing and non-stop MCU-esque quips. If that's your thing, I guess it'd be good?

Swarm - I liked the ending, but I think it's been used before in a science fiction novel I've heard of? Or something similar.

Mason's Rats - A guy tries to get evolved rats out of his barn. Great animation, a little meh on the plot and resolution.

In the Vaulted Hills Esteemed - Actually some very generic Lovecraftian stuff, but only if you're as invested in that stuff as I am, probably. Still, seeing it on the screen was neat.

Jibaro - Wow. I don't know what mythology the siren was based around, but the emotion on her was fantastic. I've never seen a monster that not only enjoyed killing, but you actually feel sorry for her showing despair when she can't Do The Killing, joy and hopefulness when she thinks she's found a way to kill again, ...and, well, the rest of it. A+.

Mostly agree except I enjoyed The Very Pulse of the Machine a lot. Trippy sci fi and lonely astronauts are right in my wheelhouse though.

My take

Three Robots- Solid. Really nothing bad to say about it, but it was kind of just grim Wall-E. A good opener but not a standout

Bad Traveling-This was incredible and one of the best entires in any season of LDR. I'd say it's the best, but it's probably tied with a later episode that won't be surprising. Now I really want to see Fincher take on some more fantastical stuff. He's basically done nothing but Dark drama since alien 3 but I would watch the gently caress out of a full movie with this tone. CGI or not. The way the crab communicated through that guys corpse was so delightfully hosed up and creepy. All around it was one of the best watches in the series.

The Very Pulse of the Machine- I liked this a lot. I'm just a huge sucker for this kind of thing. it wasn't super original or anything but thematically I really dig that kind of thing and the Moebius-lite aesthetic was cool. I also felt like it was pretty inspired by Danny Boyles Sunshine.

Night of the Mini Dead- Loved it. Simple and goofy. I love that little diorama animation style people have been doing lately. The ending made me lol *fart*. Just a good fun one.

Kill Team Kill- I enjoyed watching it. Wasn't terrible. meh though. Clearly the worst one but dirty violent GI Joe is a fun enough way to kill 15 minutes.

Swarm- Better than above, but squarely in the forgettable category. Nothing bad to say say about it. Not much to say really

Masons Rats- Totally agree. Fun to watch for the animation, but the skit itself was kind of dumb and if it was trying to make some sort of statement at all I didn't like it.

In the Vaulted Hills Esteemed-This was fine. Forgettable. Just like Swarm

Jibaro- JFC. I could tell just from the thumbnail it was going to be by the people that made Witness (which was previously the best LDR entry imo) but that was like, some next level poo poo My brain cant even process that those two are CGI to the point it makes me skeptical, but I do believe it. But it's really just the style that is so unique and unlike anything I can compare it to that makes it stand out. I just kind of want to watch it again already. There's just nothing else like it.

Even if someone doesn't care about LDR they owe it to themselves to at least watch Bad Traveling and Jibaro.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I haven't seen the new season yet but did see a clip of Jibaro with no context and was like, is this some indian movie I have never heard about and where can I see this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Jibaro is no joke one of the most captivating things I have ever watched. I don't rewatch poo poo and I watched it 3 times in a row lol. That dude behind it and The Witness (Alberto Mielgo ?) is operating on another level.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The only massive thumbs down I'll give to the new season of LDR is that if you scan the QR code at the end it does not bring you to some cool interviews or behind the scenes shorts it's some NFT scam. gently caress you. Not gonna hold that against anyone involved except Netflix though.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Agreed about Jibaro. It's weird when the animation is so good it's distracting.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In Vaulted Halls Entombed deserves to be a feature length, big budget Hollywood spectacle.

So does Jibaro.

Christ, those were amazing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Paddington 1 is on Netflix I’m gonna watch it

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Please watch RRR on Netflix. It rules so, so hard. Instead of spending 3 hours watching Avengers or something watch the story of two brothers.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/yacobg42/status/1527705595360550917

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It stinks that the only version of RRR on Netflix is dubbed into Hindi (the original version is Telugu and that's on a different streaming service) but hell, the movie rules so hard that I'm sure it's still a great time.