Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Erpy posted:

Seek shelter from the big fire waves on the very ends of the bridge and while it's hovering over the bridge itself, charge a wind slash (hope you got the upgrade emerald) and when its fireball sends the tiles flying into the air, let go of the magic button to unleash a wind slash in its face.

Finally got him. I just found that a hard fight to read, lots of moves with similar animations or positions that require different positioning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's the hardest boss in the game imo.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c46hyVWdvKc

Hope this becomes a breakout hit

Though what surprised me was the JP voices being used in combat and in dialogue.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 18, 2022

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

This is NISA we're talking about. They couldn't be bothered to keep the CS3 and CS4 localizations on par with their predecessors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Though what surprised me was the JP voices being used in combat and in dialogue.

Probably to keep costs down? Most of the text localization was already done by the fan team.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Probably, I was expecting it to be all text and maybe Eng VAs for combat lines; like how it was in the Sky games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Possibly the dub just isn't finished yet.

Not that I care since I always play in Japanese anyway.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Trailer didn't end with KeA's "mitsukete" 0/10.

I'm not at all shocked to hear the Japanese voices. It's a non zero (:V) amount of time and money to record even the battle lines and the Japanese track is already part of the Geofront release, more or less.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Someone with a lot of free time should see if the snippets from that trailer are just the GeoFront translation

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They announced there wouldn't be any dub when they announced the games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, I just assumed there would be since it's very rare for NISA not to bother but forgot the game was so old it might not have a full voice over anyway....

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lol that it has a Teen rating, though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Use of Drugs

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Every single line in the Evo games is voiced, unlike Cold Steel. It's just more work sadly.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, so the version of Zero and Azure coming out is the Evo version?

And I guess Azure is also getting a further update to add Towa and Juna, is that right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The NISA version is based on the PS4 Kai version*, not the Vita Evo version. Important distinction, because the Evo version has a few extra sidequests and stuff, while Kai is the basically same as vanilla content-wise except for some extremely minor additions (like, less than 100 lines total of NPC dialogue minor) but with Evo's voice acting.

They've been pretty clear about this being JP-VO only ever since the reveal, if you check the Steam and EGS pages they also only list Japanese voices. It's a shame, really, but what are you gonna do, it's wild that these are getting official releases in the first place.

(* On all platforms, too, from what I understand. They are not using the existing PC and Switch ports, they are going to be new ports based on the PS4 version, like they did for CS3 and CS4.)

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 18, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the Japanese voices are fine

good jobu des

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

This is NISA we're talking about. They couldn't be bothered to keep the CS3 and CS4 localizations on par with their predecessors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLRv0b6wJlA

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

the Japanese voices are fine

good jobu des

Give me Japanese Tio and Randy any day.

Well English Randy is fine (but worse), but I really dislike NISA Tio.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My point was that the voices were specifically a thing for the Evo versions, and have about 4X as much voice content as a cold steel game.

Edit: On another note, curious if Kai removed the Chara-Ani licensing issues, or if Nisa just ate the bullet out of necessity. (Chara-Ani is a Japanese company that is rumored to charge exorbitant fees to license stuff to the west, which is rumored to be why the Evo versions themselves were never an option.)

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 19, 2022

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Act 1, Part 3 done!

- I see now why everyone in the thread is so hard on Claire and Lechter.. And honestly I’m with you all. They failed to stop Millium from sacrificing herself, and then resigned themselves to just be Osborne’s pawns as he uses the Great Twilight to start an endless world war? Cowards, the both of them. And I’m glad Class 7 calls Lechter out on his bullshit justification that Osborne’s trying to “uproot and reset” the Curse and he’ll back Osborne so that Millium’s sacrifice wasn’t in vain.

- Also great was Juna just dunking on Campabella and his “crappy little grin.” Once again Juna’s VA knocks it out of the park with how pissed off she sounds.

- I brought Jusis, and his VA was amazing at the end here between his seething anger saying “You don’t deserve to speak her name!” and the anger and hurt when speaking to Rufus. I remember back in Cold Steel 1 how much Jusis looked up to his brother and spoke highly of him. So it hurts and also pisses me off to see Rufus with the mask fully off.

- The end fight was interesting with the enemy being able to pull off “Dis Orders” but Laura + Minotauros + Radiant Wings + Valiant Hearts + S-Craft nearly ended the fight then and there so the AP requirement was met with no problem

- Biggest twist of this part was the return of Bleublanc, and as an ally no less. I had no idea that he was disguised as an NPC in CS3 so it came as a pleasant shock. And yeah it’s still the same “Class 7 is in a bind but someone bails them out” but since it’s Bleublanc, Renne, Estelle, Joshua, and Lloyd I’ll give it a pass; cause that’s awesome.

- The only thing in this game that really gives me a hard time are monsters that can mass inflict confuse on the entire party. Twice, now, a monster did this and nearly wiped everyone everyone, forcing me to use a Spirit Incense

Edit:

- Was Sharon Kreuger’s Enforcer title always the “Severing Eclipse?” I could have sworn back in CS2 she was the “Severing Chains?”

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 19, 2022

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So I'm about to make a real attempt (after failing three years ago) to play through the full Legend of Heroes story in intended order (pacing myself with Sky 1 -3 to allow for Zero and Azure to release over the next year) for the first time ever.

I'm only in Chapter 1 in First Chapter and love the human details in the storytelling. I can get why people fall for these characters - Estelle and Joshua definitely seem deeply drawn, even through the occasional anime tropes of her being a terrible cook and him being the mysterious rescue child.

That said, the missable content stuff is design nonsense from an era I'm glad is long gone. Sidequests that disappear without any hint that they were there if you didn't walk every map? Ultimate weapons that require you to grab some really obscure NPC dialogues or items (I'm looking at you Carnelia Chapter 3) in small windows before they're gone for good? Blah. Not even trying to be completionist but stuff like that sours me a bit as God knows that this trek will likely be a one-time-only affair.

I tried this three years ago and failed in Chapter 2 of First Chapter; just got distracted by other games. With Elden Ring in the rearview mirror and a lot of nothing on the horizon, this seems like the perfect time to try again. If anyone has any tips on how to do it and stay sane, I'm all ears.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’m doing, and almost done now that I’m on CS4, the same thing (except I just saw a let’s play if Zero and Azure) though I’ll admit that I’ve used guides for all the games and it’s certainly made collections and side quests much less of a headache, especially when later side quests have multiple endings

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

SgtSteel91 posted:

- Was Sharon Kreuger’s Enforcer title always the “Severing Eclipse?” I could have sword back in CS2 she was the “Severing Chains?”

You're correct, and that's intentional. (CS3) At the end when she re-joins Ouroboros after Alisa's dad is revealed to be still alive, she re-introduces herself as Severing Eclipse -- I think she might even get a title card there?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

That said, the missable content stuff is design nonsense from an era I'm glad is long gone. Sidequests that disappear without any hint that they were there if you didn't walk every map? Ultimate weapons that require you to grab some really obscure NPC dialogues or items (I'm looking at you Carnelia Chapter 3) in small windows before they're gone for good?

I have some bad news for you.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

So I'm about to make a real attempt (after failing three years ago) to play through the full Legend of Heroes story in intended order (pacing myself with Sky 1 -3 to allow for Zero and Azure to release over the next year) for the first time ever.

I'm only in Chapter 1 in First Chapter and love the human details in the storytelling. I can get why people fall for these characters - Estelle and Joshua definitely seem deeply drawn, even through the occasional anime tropes of her being a terrible cook and him being the mysterious rescue child.

That said, the missable content stuff is design nonsense from an era I'm glad is long gone. Sidequests that disappear without any hint that they were there if you didn't walk every map? Ultimate weapons that require you to grab some really obscure NPC dialogues or items (I'm looking at you Carnelia Chapter 3) in small windows before they're gone for good? Blah. Not even trying to be completionist but stuff like that sours me a bit as God knows that this trek will likely be a one-time-only affair.

I tried this three years ago and failed in Chapter 2 of First Chapter; just got distracted by other games. With Elden Ring in the rearview mirror and a lot of nothing on the horizon, this seems like the perfect time to try again. If anyone has any tips on how to do it and stay sane, I'm all ears.

I made it through CS1 doing this and then watched my wife who is much more into the series play 3 and 4. My sanity-preserving tips:

Make sure you know and are comfortable going in that the series as a whole is much more conventional in every way than First Chapter makes it look. I and at least one or two others in here got drawn in by stuff that was largely accidental rather than the stuff the series is really about and that made it tough to appreciate the newer entries.

Make sure you're playing a version of the games that includes Turbo, and just hold the Turbo button down at all times forever.

The best way to engage with the battle system changes a lot from game to game (e.g., some games you can shut pretty much every boss down with stat buffs/debuffs, some games pretty much every boss will be immune to them) - once you're far enough in that you have actual options for how to slot your quartz, take a little time to engage with it more than you would a typical RPG. Some of the big changes you just won't be able to figure out from any source other than trial and error or asking in here though, so if you're finding yourself frustrated by something just ask.

There are a bunch of small scenes you will not possibly be able to see on a single playthrough and some of them contain stuff that is broadly important, so if you're invested in the games it's worth taking a minute after you finish one to go youtube the bonding events/NG+ only stuff you didn't get to see.

Stay off the wiki. I have long since lost track of the number of spoilers my wife has accidentally tripped over because she can't do this.

Make your peace with the insane missable content situation, none of it is mechanically important unless you're one of the lunatics doing a hardest-difficulty single-character run (don't do this) and you can youtube the rest. Yes it's dumb, no it's not going away, attachment is the root of all suffering, etc.

Pom Party is good.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’m doing, and almost done now that I’m on CS4, the same thing (except I just saw a let’s play if Zero and Azure) though I’ll admit that I’ve used guides for all the games and it’s certainly made collections and side quests much less of a headache, especially when later side quests have multiple endings

I played the Sky games and the first two Cold Steel games without a guide on the first playthrough and then with on new game plus, and I think just going with a guide open to key you in on missables from the start is the way to go. It hasn’t really distracted on my CS 3 and 4 playthroughs, but I am not following it that closely and talking to everyone, etc.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/sylvibullet/status/1526973265113227264?s=21&t=9B8lIGE52VnTpQJxXMG3LA

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Relatable as someone who's played drat near every RPG in the english language. There's a whole host of 2000's RPGs I swear I'm the only person who ever played. Radiata Stories is one of the greatest games of all time, and its basically the embyronic form of the perfect RPG.

Memnaelar posted:

If you get invested in the NPCs and talk to them at every chance, missing stuff is drat near impossible unless its an rear end in a top hat book sitting on a bed without an NPC near the start of SC. This does basically double the game's playtime and it's a pain in the rear end in sky however, so weigh your options. Also always be open to switching to Cold Steel, as someone who played FC back in 2011, and spent years staring longingly at things like the TV tropes page, who dearly loves it as a whole and adores FC and TC especially, it's a rough starting point for a bunch of reasons. So if for any reason you stop feeling it, trying the prettier, better gameplay, more Trails entry designed as a starting point is never a bad idea.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As someone who definitely got invested and always tried to talk to every npc I still missed stuff. Though it gets easier as games go on

If you want to like 100% the games then yeah it's better play with a guide so you don't miss a quest imo.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Hot take: the missables aren't really that important.

My first playthrough I was very bad, and only got the second-highest Bracer rank (at the last minute), which anyone will tell you means I missed a lot. It didn't impact my enjoyment of the game, and actually probably helped me not burn out via overtalking to everyone constantly.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cyouni posted:

It didn't impact my enjoyment of the game, and actually probably helped me not burn out via overtalking to everyone constantly.

Take it from someone in the middle of Sky SC right now: just play it regularly. For the love of God. My OCD basically crushes me in Sky and I only boot it up on days where I have nothing on my plate so that I can devote time to actually make progress in a title with little to no fast travel that may want you to do 4 different splintered treks around a city for all the quests in that period WITH a checklist, much less blind, so I don't lose track of which events I've covered or where I am on the list before I possibly put it down for weeks on end. All because I got a 100% on FC and now it's inertia.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SC was the one Trails game where I stopped even doing the posted quests. It's definitely the title where I think it's easiest to burn out.

Anyway, i'm nearing endgame in Reverie and game's been real fun. Just like with TC the game is feeling like a really strong sendoff to my Trails pals. It's a good time.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

secretly best girl posted:

Take it from someone in the middle of Sky SC right now: just play it regularly. For the love of God. My OCD basically crushes me in Sky and I only boot it up on days where I have nothing on my plate so that I can devote time to actually make progress in a title with little to no fast travel that may want you to do 4 different splintered treks around a city for all the quests in that period WITH a checklist, much less blind, so I don't lose track of which events I've covered or where I am on the list before I possibly put it down for weeks on end. All because I got a 100% on FC and now it's inertia.

Having finished CS4, I wish I'd taken my own advice.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Most advice like this comes with the invisible corollary of "some people instead need to hear the opposite of this." You may find it freeing to know, hey, I can just look at this walkthrough and it'll tell me all the big things, so I can relax! But some people find having a list to consult makes it feel like a job. You have to figure out which of the two you are and act accordingly.

(I am definitely the first type. At least that way if I miss a potentially cool thing, I know what it was, and I can load one of my old saves to go back and check on it.)

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

If you wanna make your experience with SC even worse, do all the variations with all the party members, you'll find that all the lines are basically the same with a slight edit for personality, so not only is it a waste of time really, but you'll start looking at them all as silent characters who get absolutely no screen time in the entire game. Act 1 of CS4 is the only part of the series that's even remotely comparable in how much of a waste of time this is. The rest of CS4? CS2? Actually kinda worthwhile, you'll sometimes get some major character defining moments or hidden lore.

I'm gonna be honest, If I actually devoted myself to SC before CS1 and 2, I might have actually checked out of the series instead of become it's biggest fan lol.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MythosDragon posted:

If you wanna make your experience with SC even worse, do all the variations with all the party members

NO

WHY DID YOU TELL ME THIS WAS A THING, NOW I HAVE TO HIT MY OLD SAVES BY THE BRANCH POINTS UP

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

secretly best girl posted:

NO

WHY DID YOU TELL ME THIS WAS A THING, NOW I HAVE TO HIT MY OLD SAVES BY THE BRANCH POINTS UP

Start with Leonhardt, he actually has legitimately unique things to say to every party member.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this White Cat subplot is as moronic as I’d been led to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oxxidation posted:

this White Cat subplot is as moronic as I’d been led to believe

The politics of the game don't get better, unfortunately.