Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gleebster posted:

What a clever way to avoid taking the trouble of drawing identifiable vegetables. I see why goons fall all over themselves praising this strip. Here's Bettwy's other work of genius, Sales:

Still love him?

He kick your dog or something?

The art has always sucked rear end but the jokes are above average to genuinely great, that's why people like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

don't like this
(Rae is good)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
As one translator to another, Monya was a joy to read.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The strip recently confirmed this is the 5th century, and it mentioned the sack was by the Vandals, so ~455ish (in theory). Maybe he was confusing it with the shift of the Western Roman capital to Ravenna? But that would have been like that the last time he passed through, so it wouldn't have been a surprise.

Maybe the Pope is just on his hols.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

goatface posted:

The strip recently confirmed this is the 5th century, and it mentioned the sack was by the Vandals, so ~455ish (in theory). Maybe he was confusing it with the shift of the Western Roman capital to Ravenna? But that would have been like that the last time he passed through, so it wouldn't have been a surprise.

Maybe the Pope is just on his hols.

He also did a bunch of strips where Val met some Muslims about a hundred years before the birth of Muhammad so I wouldn't sweat the strip's historicity too much.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Incredible cell reception for a warzone.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

He kick your dog or something?

The art has always sucked rear end but the jokes are above average to genuinely great, that's why people like it

Nah, the gags are bad-to-acceptable. And I don't have a dog. Maybe it would improve my attitude.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's such a specific thing to include though. The papacy doesn't move much, it's the Bishop of Rome after all, so I don't know why he has decided it would be an appropriate thing to move here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

It's such a specific thing to include though. The papacy doesn't move much, it's the Bishop of Rome after all, so I don't know why he has decided it would be an appropriate thing to move here.

Other than the Avignon Papacy yeah. It's weird because Foster is usually pretty good about these things. I mean, he mashes a bunch of historic events into the same time period but he usually doesn't make up major historic events.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

as opposed to...?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Lovely Horse posted:

as opposed to...?

lol

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Medenmath posted:

What exactly is an EMF reader anyway? Is it basically just a radio?

An electromagnetic field reader, it measures the amount of radiation given off by electrical stuff. One of the uses for it is if you want to dig somewhere, you use it to see if there's any underground power lines/cables so you don't accidentally sever them.

The reason they're using one is because ghost hunters believe that ghosts cause electromagnetic disturbances, so if you're in an area where there usually isn't a disturbance and an EMF reader starts showing one, it's supposedly proof of a ghost.

Another thing TV ghost hunters love to use is a device that pulls random radio signals out of the air, with the belief that ghosts will manipulate them to send messages. I don't believe in ghosts personally, but I imagine even people who do think that TV ghost hunters are just pulling stuff out of their rear end or predisposing people to believe they heard things.

gleebster posted:

Nah, the gags are bad-to-acceptable. And I don't have a dog. Maybe it would improve my attitude.

The gags are good, there's a reason the strip went from nobody really liking it when it was first posted to most people liking it now. The dude genuinely got better at jokes. His art's even improved too, he no longer draws the mom with the weird bird hair when she has her hair down like he used to.

Does Skelley not know how the lettering in his own strip is done? How do you gently caress up a joke this badly?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Twelve by Pies posted:

An electromagnetic field reader, it measures the amount of radiation given off by electrical stuff. One of the uses for it is if you want to dig somewhere, you use it to see if there's any underground power lines/cables so you don't accidentally sever them.

The reason they're using one is because ghost hunters believe that ghosts cause electromagnetic disturbances, so if you're in an area where there usually isn't a disturbance and an EMF reader starts showing one, it's supposedly proof of a ghost.

Another thing TV ghost hunters love to use is a device that pulls random radio signals out of the air, with the belief that ghosts will manipulate them to send messages. I don't believe in ghosts personally, but I imagine even people who do think that TV ghost hunters are just pulling stuff out of their rear end or predisposing people to believe they heard things.

Did that whole thing start with Ghostbusters, or was the movie spoofing something that already existed in real-life tinfoil hattery?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Powered Descent posted:

Did that whole thing start with Ghostbusters, or was the movie spoofing something that already existed in real-life tinfoil hattery?

EMF's been around since at least the 70s as a supernatural detection thing so Ghostbusters is absolutely using real life stuff. There's a lot of engineers and physicists who get a grudge against exploring the supernatural and then get real deep in the weeds over it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

I remember when I didn’t know if the bread was free or not. Kept me up nights.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Never forget that Dan Aykroyd was and is a true believer. Much of the stuff in that movie including a lot of the lore was pulled from Aykroyd's experiences with spiritualism.

Has Luann ever had a drama-free breakup?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

gleebster posted:

What a clever way to avoid taking the trouble of drawing identifiable vegetables. I see why goons fall all over themselves praising this strip.

Sorry we can't all use freshly picked beans and tomatoes while making chili buddy

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 29-30, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 23, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 9-10, 1991)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

:hai:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Thanks all for the kind words about Monya! Do try and send Q-Rais some clicks or even yens if you can.

I’m back on track with Haraiso Days, so here’s the start of chapter 5:

Also here’s last week’s Night Visitors

With Monya done, I think I’ll start in on Q-Rais Talks to Himself, his diary / hobby cooking comic. There’s a tweest that’s explained at the end of chapter 1 – see if you can spot it!

Chapter 1: Tatsuta-age fried chicken bento

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 29-30, 1991)

I wonder what the PINGAS are for.

I really hate Big Nate but honestly this one is pretty good.

Julet Esqu posted:

Never forget that Dan Aykroyd was and is a true believer. Much of the stuff in that movie including a lot of the lore was pulled from Aykroyd's experiences with spiritualism.

Oh yeah, ghosts and spiritualism apparently run fairly far back in his family.

quote:

His great-grandfather, Samuel Aykroyd, was interested in psychic research and psychic experiences. He regularly held seances in his home and he primarily worked with a medium named Walter Ashurst. So Samuel, Dan Aykroyd’s great-grandfather, had this keen interest in psychics being in touch with the other side. That interest went on to Maurice Aykroyd, who is Dan Aykroyd’s grandfather. They were owners of journals like the American Society for Psychical Research and other academic studies of the supernatural.

In fact, Dan’s father, Peter Aykroyd, wrote a book called, A History of Ghosts: The True Story of Seances, Mediums, Ghosts, and Ghostbusters. You can get it on Kindle for about ten dollars. If you want a paperback copy, you’re gonna be spending almost a hundred bucks right now. I’m guessing it’s because of the Ghostbusters name being so big right now. Everyone’s trying to scramble to get a copy of the book. I happened to find mine at a used bookstore. It’s a great book. Dan Aykroyd wrote the foreword for the book. So Dan took his family’s interest and family history and integrated elements of that into the Ghostbusters movies.

The quote is from this article which I found when I casually googled about EMF readers and Ghostbusters. She's a real life paranormal investigator, kind of a neat read.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Thanks all for the kind words about Monya! Do try and send Q-Rais some clicks or even yens if you can.

Also here’s last week’s Night Visitors

With Monya done, I think I’ll start in on Q-Rais Talks to Himself, his diary / hobby cooking comic. There’s a tweest that’s explained at the end of chapter 1 – see if you can spot it!

Chapter 1: Tatsuta-age fried chicken bento

Guessing the girl either doesnt exist or is a ghost he cant see

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's a diary comic so I assume it's his girlfriend/wife. Though it's Q-Rais so you could be right, too.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

The sentence is death.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 9-10, 1991)

I like the detail of the math in his fantasy being wrong

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's a diary comic so I assume it's his girlfriend/wife. Though it's Q-Rais so you could be right, too.

It's a diary comic with a twist and its called "talks to himself" despite there seeming to be another character talking with him (that he never directly acknowledges or interacts with) i'm calling them as i sees them

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

gleebster posted:

What a clever way to avoid taking the trouble of drawing identifiable vegetables. I see why goons fall all over themselves praising this strip. Here's Bettwy's other work of genius, Sales:

Still love him?

Yeah, I never quite got the shift to unrestrained praise for this strip. It can now produce a good joke or even a series of them occasionally, but most of the time the writing tops out at "unremarkable." The art is still consistently hot garbage--suggesting it has improved at all is being very, very generous!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ukonvasara posted:

Yeah, I never quite got the shift to unrestrained praise for this strip. It can now produce a good joke or even a series of them occasionally, but most of the time the writing tops out at "unremarkable." The art is still consistently hot garbage--suggesting it has improved at all is being very, very generous!

Back when it debuted four, five threads ago people weren't hot for it because of the aforementioned art but everyone then realized the humor was charming and the art serviceable enough
I personally enjoy it especially whenever Tinkleton Jr. interacts with his teacher

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Don't get it twisted, the art in Tinkersons absolutely still sucks rear end

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What was that other comic with crappy art that ended up having pretty jokes once in a while. Reply all?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hey! the tinkerson mom's hair had improvement! take that to the bank

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

lol

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Continuing Adventures of Biological Determinism Since Birth

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

?

i guess we all just dont give a single poo poo at work one day

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I have no idea how anything gets done in the Kellverse when everyone's entire existence revolves around food.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

riderchop posted:

?

i guess we all just dont give a single poo poo at work one day
It's a weeping willow getting antidepressants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

great work holbrook keep it up