Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Resident Idiot posted:

Railroad Ink, much as I like it (even with the "pay full price for something that could be an expansion" colour range), but it really is a triumph of production quality over price in a world where 13 Rails exists.

Hmm, you mean this as in "the game costs way more than it ought to" or "the game components are so nice that they justify the price"? I played on BGA so I don't really know how the game's priced (although I did like the idea of the play mats being eraseable instead of being single-use papers a lá Yahtzee).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

BinaryDoubts posted:

I enjoy his writing on and about games. As actual dev diaries, they're not very informative about the game itself. For instance, what does the map look like? Is it a board or built out of hexes or what? That feels like a question I should be able to answer after reading several thousand words about said game.

The map for both the single session and campaign modes was revealed this week in the final dev diary on Boardgamegeek, and they talked about it in their monthly streams a few months ago:

e: If I'm remembering correctly he described it as "like Root but with empty clearings in between the clearings." It's a board built out of clearings which are stylistically built on hexes but I don't think you can interact with individual hexes.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 19, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

iceyman posted:

Looking for recommendations on a new game. Have been playing coop games with the spouse, leaving them out on a table and take turns here and there between work/kids/meals/etc. It gives us something challenging to collectively work on and talk about. Most recently we did this with Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold which was great due to the lengthy connective campaign format with lots of room for optimization talk. So we are are looking for another medium to heavy fully coop game with lots of strategy that we can play asynchronously. We have already played Gloomhaven, Mage Knight, and Spirit Island to death. So is there anything else that can scratch this itch?

Too Many Bones

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have mild reservations about Arcs, but a Kyle Ferrin space map does make my wallet itchy.

We don’t have a Root dedicated thread, do we?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CitizenKeen posted:

I have mild reservations about Arcs, but a Kyle Ferrin space map does make my wallet itchy.

We don’t have a Root dedicated thread, do we?

No, but of all normal-ish board games, that might have enough oomph to buoy its own thread, is an enthusiast wanted to make one.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Hempuli posted:

Hmm, you mean this as in "the game costs way more than it ought to" or "the game components are so nice that they justify the price"? I played on BGA so I don't really know how the game's priced (although I did like the idea of the play mats being eraseable instead of being single-use papers a lá Yahtzee).

The board and dice are nice, but having Red and Blue (and, to a lesser extent, Yellow and Green) as standalone games rather than just being able to buy the dice is a bit of a price grab. I guess my main point is that 30 Rails gives you 80% of the experience for the very attractive price of free.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Resident Idiot posted:

The board and dice are nice, but having Red and Blue (and, to a lesser extent, Yellow and Green) as standalone games rather than just being able to buy the dice is a bit of a price grab. I guess my main point is that 30 Rails gives you 80% of the experience for the very attractive price of free.

Right, makes sense! I just wasn't sure whether to interpret your previous post as being for or against Railroad Ink's model. And yeah, I can see the different colours as separate packages being quite pointless. I guess I should check out 48 Rails.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

No, but of all normal-ish board games, that might have enough oomph to buoy its own thread, is an enthusiast wanted to make one.

Even threads that have only a short-term interest are welcome in trad games. I've noticed Root discussion popping up in here near-daily for a while, so I think it could be a good idea if anyone wants to go for it.

If you do, we can link it from the thread about threads and thread ideas, as well as from here.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Impermanent posted:

i do kind of blame everything i don't like in root on leder and I try not to let those get in the way of, like, recommending the game to people because a lot of people LOVE the little vagabond bastard and don't play competitively enough that it is an Issue. But. I would love to have seen a version of root that was just Wehrle's furry fantasy themed asymmetric warfare simulator without a bunch of "wackiness" sprinkled across it.

Like the Vagabond is such a novelty figure. very "And you don't even have to be a faction! You can just be a guy!" that is maybe the perfect kind of thing to snag a certain kind of Gamer but it's just very frustrating. I see the same sort of shallowness in how the crows operate, although I think they fit better than the vagabond does.

That’s the same frustration I have with it too, and with no big surprise, the wackiness and extreme asymmetry bordering on multiplayer solitaire in Vast.

I think for the foreseeable future you’re limited to Pax Pamir 2…unless the US expansion/ train tycoon game in development is released a lot sooner than expected.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A US expansion for Pax Pamir? Has that been suggested?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

That’s the same frustration I have with it too, and with no big surprise, the wackiness and extreme asymmetry bordering on multiplayer solitaire in Vast.

I think for the foreseeable future you’re limited to Pax Pamir 2…unless the US expansion/ train tycoon game in development is released a lot sooner than expected.

vast was why i wasn't to enthused about trying out root, i'm sorta just 'ok' about root, i didn't hate playing the game but i was also just not that into it

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
More Arcs details on Cole's twitter today.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
They're really leaning into the campaign mode being an expansion if they're calling it something beyond "Campaign Mode". "The Blighted Reach Campaign Expansion" has a very different feel.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

iceyman posted:

Looking for recommendations on a new game. Have been playing coop games with the spouse, leaving them out on a table and take turns here and there between work/kids/meals/etc. It gives us something challenging to collectively work on and talk about. Most recently we did this with Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold which was great due to the lengthy connective campaign format with lots of room for optimization talk. So we are are looking for another medium to heavy fully coop game with lots of strategy that we can play asynchronously. We have already played Gloomhaven, Mage Knight, and Spirit Island to death. So is there anything else that can scratch this itch?

Other medium to heavy coops that I've really enjoyed are Bloodborne, Planet Apocalypse and more recently Vagrantsong. They've all been really suitable for the type of play you suggest and are pretty thinky games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Bloodborne board game is super cool but I wish it did a few things better - I feel like it’s one of the games that tries to account for different player counts but kinda misses the mark. I wish there was errata or an expansion that addressed it by (just as one idea) having different Blood Moon tracks for different player counts.

The main way it manifests is via movement and exploration - it’s very possible when playing solo to end up in a situation where you have to high-tail it across the whole map and end up timing out the game with basically nothing you could have done.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I agree, although I've found it works fairly fine (just different) at 2-4 players, it only feels like it really falls apart trying to play true solo. At four it's borderline, as you have to be extremely judicious about if/when you go to the dream to the point that I think it's fine with experienced players but not a good way to play with new players, so really I think 2-3 is the sweet spot and that's pretty limiting for a game that is supposed to cover a broader range.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone have any good resources for learning thunderstone quest, specifically the Co op mode? I dunno why but I'm bouncing off the rule book real hard.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey is it ok if I play a game where I can invest in crypto y’all🤔

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/360699/qe-commodities

Had a lotta fun with the original. Very unique game but it must be played to win the game not ruin the game.

E: Sigh, naturally it's kickstarted but I went in for the $1 pledge. I'll see what happens.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 21, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FrozenPeach is working on "line go up" and it sounds glorious. Try to not be the bag holder.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 21, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

silvergoose posted:

FrozenPeach is working on "line go up" and it sounds glorious. Try to not be the bag holder.

Cookie Clicker the board game

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Some of my boardgame friends are only interested in animal themes, and I'm glad there are a lot of good animal boardgames around now. Ark Nova, Cascadia, Calico, Isle of Cats. All good!

check out Wild: Serengeti, the theme is cool and it looks very pretty

whats the problem with the Vagabond in Root? i've never played with it, is it something i should avoid?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CODChimera posted:

whats the problem with the Vagabond in Root? i've never played with it, is it something i should avoid?
It's just one rear end in a top hat who plays Magic Realm lite on the same board where everyone else is wargaming. If ignored, the Bond runs ahead in points and wins.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CODChimera posted:

The Vagabond is playing a different game from everyone else. They very easily and quickly accrue points and it is a net loss for any other player to try and knock them down. Game quality goes way up if you replace them with any other faction like the Otters.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SettingSun posted:

They very easily and quickly accrue points and it is a net loss for any other player to try and knock them down.

That sounds like every faction to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No, because other factions reward points for attacking them in various ways and the vagabond doesn’t, so any action you take to knock them down will put you behind the points race. It’s a game of hot potato and someone needs to hit the Vagabond once or twice to force them to spend a turn in the woods repairing, but no one wants to do that because it gets them 0 points.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Everyone plays a Vagabond, problem solved

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Actually playing with two vagabonds does force them to compete with each other. I still prefer the experience without them though.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

SettingSun posted:

The Vagabond is playing a different game from everyone else. They very easily and quickly accrue points and it is a net loss for any other player to try and knock them down. Game quality goes way up if you replace them with any other faction like the Otters.

Unless you play with my friends who refuse to use any of your Otter offerings because it is "directly helping the otters" so you spend every turn trying to home-shopping-network pitch your services at the cheapest price and still sell a total of 2 services in an entire game :negative:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the solution to no one taking your otter offerings is to play lizards until they are desparate for you to play anything else

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What you do with the otters is set up your guys to be reaaaaal advantageous to someone who is about to maybe get attacked.

"Boy it sure would be useful if you had like four more guys to fight back, wouldnt it? Otherwise your folks are gonna get stomped. Just saying."

Of course this is all contingent on other players so sometimes you just don't get that chance.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I always play lizards they are my best friends

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

CODChimera posted:

check out Wild: Serengeti, the theme is cool and it looks very pretty

Vagabond is less accessible to other players than all of the other players are (being one, mobile unit), and isn't worth any points. They're a game clock and a collective action problem rolled up into one. If no one understands how strong they are (they have the highest winrate among competitive online players), they can quickly run away with the game. Less skilled players with the Vagabond might find it frustrating to be beaten down by a table that burden shares punching the Vagabond. They're generally considered the worst designed faction, and while cute from a storytelling perspective, they probably would not be added to the game in its current state.

Not sure how they play at 5+ but with 4 it's a nightmare.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Just a reminder to all goons out there: If you bring games to a game day, don't forget to review the rules for all of them ahead of time, even if you have played them many times in the past. Particularly don't decide to bring a game at the last minute that you haven't played in forever without reviewing the rules because one of the players liked it 5 years ago, thereby greatly increasing the likelihood of it being selected and you needing to dredge some very old memories to teach others.

:sweatdrop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You gotta at least name the game, though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

You gotta at least name the game, though.

I can't possibly admit that. I avoided saying it because the game is actually fairly simple game. Barely being able to teach this game is massively shameful for such a gigachad board gamer sigma male like me. It was The Grizzled.

On the plus side, the two new players liked it. I'd hesitate to call this game underrated, but it's been slightly forgotten in the last few years, I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played Western Legends a while ago and it was really bad. So we played it again tonight but with the Ante Up expansion to see if it made the game better.

It did instead make the game unimaginably worse in almost every way. A big problem in base Western Legends is that its best to just not interact with other players, Ante Up makes this much easier but making the board 50% larger and adding more ways to get points gambling and generally not interacting with other players.

Just some awful design choices, we had one wanted player and someone was playing Pat Garret who can move the sheriff and try to arrest someone to score a point. Except they don't control the sheriff in the fight, the player to the right of the target does and he doesn't want you to score a point so will do everything he can to lose the fight.

Theres a new betting game, Faro, which just takes longer to resolve so is worse in every way.

There are outlaw tokens, which are not bandits, except they pretty much are bandits with some special rules tacked on.

Theres a train you can rob but its really hard to catch the train if there are a lot of players as it zooms around the board every turn.

In the base game there's a general store where you buy everything, with the expansion the store is split across the 2 boards with only some items appearing in each store, making the game longer and more tedious.

I would say everything that's wrong with the base game is amplified and made worse in the expansion.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Has anyone played The Networks and what did they think of it? As a kid I used to play a game from the 80's called moviemaker and this seems to be a modern spin on the same concept. I'd like to like it, but it seems rather shallow and there's one obvious and optimal play for each card and time slot, etc. Is this the case?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Street Horrrsing posted:

Has anyone played The Networks and what did they think of it? As a kid I used to play a game from the 80's called moviemaker and this seems to be a modern spin on the same concept. I'd like to like it, but it seems rather shallow and there's one obvious and optimal play for each card and time slot, etc. Is this the case?

I feel similarly to you on The Networks. Dream Factory/Traumfabrik/Hollywood Blockbuster is a more successful take on that basic theme for me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Street Horrrsing posted:

It's fairly shallow, but I enjoy it for what it is.

Do I recall hearing somewhere that Gil Hova is a dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Last week, after it waiting on a shelf in pristine state for a year, I have finally played the cube game. drat, that was some good cubin'. 6 people, we were all first timers, but it turned out to not be that complicated to grasp the core idea. I ended up as unity, and I think I realised too late that the colored techs are useless to me and I should probable just use them to upgrade my grey cube production.
Great game overall, I can see how it could get better with even more people, but the table space... :negative: