Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm doing it. The backlash of doing both could very well kill us, but we're out of options at this point.

*taking a deep breath I bring my hands up to the EMBED DUCKLO button as well as the EMBED BATES buttons and press them after a moment's hesitation*

God help us all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nancy pelosi has been excommunicated by the arch diosces of san fran pending a public apology to the arch bishop that includes a repudiation of her pro abortion views (which she doesnt even have lol)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they kind of have to do it after pelosi's many actions in support of abortion rights such as

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Real hurthling! posted:

nancy pelosi has been excommunicated by the arch diosces of san fran pending a public apology to the arch bishop that includes a repudiation of her pro abortion views (which she doesnt even have lol)
this is precisely why the founding fathers didn't want catholics in the us

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
it will be interesting to see how American nuns react to this. last time there was a big standoff over abortion (nuns were helping poor women get to Planned Parenthood - for contraception, prenatal care, and abortions, 2/3 of which are big no-no’s) the nuns got the bishops to back down when they threatened as a body to schism iirc

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

it will be interesting to see how American nuns react to this. last time there was a big standoff over abortion (nuns were helping poor women get to Planned Parenthood - for contraception, prenatal care, and abortions, 2/3 of which are big no-no’s) the nuns got the bishops to back down when they threatened as a body to schism iirc
it's time for a girl pope

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

Would you say that they were having nun of the church's poo poo

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

this is precisely why the founding fathers didn't want catholics in the us

Arguably the only thing the were right about

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

she did bring up for vote the roe v wade codification

anyway if you want to read the letter: https://timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/PELOSI-LETTER.pdf

quote:

With regard to the application of these principles to Catholics in political life, then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, wrote to the U.S. bishops in 2004 explaining the approach to be taken:
... when a person's formal cooperation becomes manifest (understood, in the case of a Catholic politician, as his consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws), his Pastor should meet with him, instructing him about the Church's teaching, informing him that he is not to present himself for Holy Communion until he brings to an end the objective situation of sin, and warning him that he will otherwise be denied the Eucharist. When 'these precautionary measures have not had their effect ...,' and the person in question, with obstinate persistence, still presents himself to receive the Holy Eucharist, 'the minister of Holy Communion must refuse to distribute it.'

seems pretty clear she should’ve been excommunicated decades ago. wasn’t there some thing with John Kerry and the church when he ran in 2004? (but they didn’t say anything in public while he was a senator?)

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

indigi posted:

a family friend is an elderly nun, one of the best people i have ever met, and she is the most anti-church person i have ever met

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

LastInLine posted:

Inflation is fundamental to allowing for credit ...

i don't mean this to turn into a derail, but i'm not familiar with the calvinball reality that economics operates under, so can you succinctly show why this is?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you borrow 20 bucks and have to pay back 25 eventually and everyone in america does this, there needs to be more money by the end.

just guessing

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

why not get rid of borrowing money and the concept of loans

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

dont have the money? dont buy it bitch

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? Who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

if you borrow 20 bucks and have to pay back 25 eventually and everyone in america does this, there needs to be more money by the end.

just guessing

this is actually how it works

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

But what if the loaners used the $20 to add value to the economy roughly equal to the amount they had to pay back? Wouldn't the dollar value stay the same then, even if there is more dollars total in the economy?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

what does adding value to the economy look like, materially

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

THS2 posted:

why not get rid of borrowing money and the concept of loans

so disappointed our first Muslim president didn’t outlaw riba

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Let's assume it's making goods that have a real use and not bitcoin or some poo poo for the sake of the example.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

it looks like the price of every home in the nation increasing by 10-15% despite nearly all of those not changing in any way

now you might say "wait, isn't that just inflation?" and you'd be correct

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sirtommygunn posted:

Let's assume it's making goods that have a real use and not bitcoin or some poo poo for the sake of the example.

making, so, transforming materials already available, in the hopes you could sell the results for more than the materials could be sold for? if everyone does that, wouldn't there need to be more money to buy them all with?

e: phrased as a question because i am genuinely not sure

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

Doc Hawkins posted:

making, so, transforming materials already available, in the hopes you could sell the results for more than the materials could be sold for? if everyone does that, wouldn't there need to be more money to buy them all with?

:capitalism:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

:same: Thats why I'm asking. I assume more money would need to be put into circulation as a greater amount/value of goods are added to the market to avoid deflation but I am just some guy on the internet and don't actually know anything.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

The value of labor is >0, yes.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1527990804043767808

the democrats are going to be obliterated in 2024

drat that's crazy. is there some kind of national organization that could take action to pressure its members into doing things

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

DoubleDonut posted:

drat that's crazy. is there some kind of national organization that could take action to pressure its members into doing things

i think he just made a netflix special about how nobody appreciates him

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
it is funny to think about how even now, Obama could probably use his influence to strengthen party discipline in a big way, and he just… doesn’t

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
tbf he actually did but the only discipline he’s interested in is making sure the party doesn’t become even remotely left-wing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

Zoran posted:

it is funny to think about how even now, Obama could probably use his influence to strengthen party discipline in a big way, and he just… doesn’t

not saying poo poo about anything is a deliberate use of his influence

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

no that's fascism learn how things work before you speak up next time

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Eric Adams is the closest thing the Dems have to Trump, in that both are extremely stupid guys with complete self-assurance in themselves. Also New York I guess. So maybe he's their best shot in 2024 :v:

Zoran posted:

tbf he actually did but the only discipline he’s interested in is making sure the party doesn’t become even remotely left-wing

The last time Obama used his clout for anything was to make sure LeBron and the rest of the NBA didn't go on strike in solidarity with the BLM protests in 2020 lol

I'm sure this has been written about by people much smarter than me, but Dems are destined to fail because they think the world is fine as-is and have no incentive to change it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Eric Adams is the closest thing the Dems have to Trump, in that both are extremely stupid guys with complete self-assurance in themselves. Also New York I guess. So maybe he's their best shot in 2024 :v:

What the democrats need is a tall wrestler that’s good at Twitter.

Behold, the tweet that will win over the average democratic primary voter

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1528047157084758017?s=21&t=jnJpmD7izTRdDPr5-cP6Ng

(Unfortunately he’s 80 years old and was billed at 6’ even)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The last time Obama used his clout for anything was to make sure LeBron and the rest of the NBA didn't go on strike in solidarity with the BLM protests in 2020 lol

I'm sure this has been written about by people much smarter than me, but Dems are destined to fail because they think the world is fine as-is and have no incentive to change it.

Karl Polanyi, the Great Transformation

quote:

With the liberal the idea of freedom thus degenerates into a mere advocacy of free enterprise—which is today reduced to a fiction by the hard reality of giant trusts and princely monopolies. This means the fullness of freedom for those whose income, leisure, and security need no enhancing, and a mere pittance of liberty for the people, who may in vain attempt to make use of their democratic rights to gain shelter from the power of the owners of property. Nor is that all. Nowhere did the liberals in fact succeed in reestablishing free enterprise, which was doomed to fail for intrinsic reasons. It was as a result of their efforts that big business was installed in several European countries and, incidentally, also various brands of fascism, as in Austria. Planning, regulation, and control, which they wanted to see banned as dangers to freedom, were then employed by the confessed enemies of freedom to abolish it altogether. Yet the victory of fascism was made practically unavoidable by the liberals' obstruction of any reform involving planning, regulation, or control. Freedom's utter frustration in fascism is, indeed, the inevitable result of the liberal philosophy, which claims that power and compulsion are evil, that freedom demands their absence from a human community. No such thing is possible; in a complex society this becomes apparent. This leaves no alternative but either to remain faithful to an illusionary idea of freedom and deny the reality of society, or to accept that reality and reject the idea of freedom. The first is the liberal's conclusion; the latter the fascist's. .

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/sundaymorning76/status/1528255599313666049

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

What the democrats need is a tall wrestler that’s good at Twitter.

Behold, the tweet that will win over the average democratic primary voter

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1528047157084758017?s=21&t=jnJpmD7izTRdDPr5-cP6Ng

(Unfortunately he’s 80 years old and was billed at 6’ even)

The only tall ex-wrestler deserving of anyone's vote is Jesse Ventura.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMEppXiklfg this man deserves your vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Korelle posted:

The only tall ex-wrestler deserving of anyone's vote is Jesse Ventura.

The only person I trust to hate the police enough to do what's necessary is MDK every loving day