Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lmao

poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
after burning your teslatomb will be placed within the hyperloop to guide other faithful to the afterlife.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they’re too loud and they’re mainly car descriptions, what the hell is my pedestrian rear end going to do about a highway car description

quote:

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, of the children abducted and murdered by strangers, 75% are killed within the first three hours in the USA.[12] Amber Alerts are designed to inform the general public quickly when a child has been kidnapped and is in danger so "the public [would be] additional eyes and ears of law enforcement".[12] As of August 2013, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children estimates that 657 children have been successfully recovered as a result of the existence of the AMBER Alert program.[68]

A Scripps Howard study of the 233 AMBER Alerts issued in the United States in 2004 found that most issued alerts did not meet the Department of Justice's criteria. Fully 50% (117 alerts) were categorized by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children as being "family abductions", very often a parent involved in a custody dispute. There were 48 alerts for children who had not been abducted at all, but were lost, ran away, involved in family misunderstandings (for example, two instances where the child was with grandparents), or as the result of hoaxes. Another 23 alerts were issued in cases where police did not know the name of the allegedly abducted child, often as the result of misunderstandings by witnesses who reported an abduction. Seventy of the 233 AMBER Alerts issued in 2004 (30%) were actually children taken by strangers or who were unlawfully travelling with adults other than their legal guardians.[69]

According to the 2014 Amber Alert Report, 186 Amber Alerts were issued in the US, involving 239 children; 60 were taken by strangers or people other than their legal guardians.[70]

that’s not a lot of kids and it’s a broken program. you’ll save more kids by using that money to bribe FDA inspectors to approve vaccines or something.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You mean having your phone randomly scream at you at 3 AM about someone being abducted next town over doesn't make you put on some tights and fly out to stop the evildoers?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

this rocks actually

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

You mean having your phone randomly scream at you at 3 AM about someone being abducted next town over doesn't make you put on some tights and fly out to stop the evildoers?

could be worse. in Canada you can’t mute or lower the volume on amber alerts sent to your phone, the police send them all out at the “APOCALYPTIC EVENT SAY GOODBYE TO LOVED ONES” setting even at 3am

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

this rocks actually

I was gonna say. this looks like a bunch of friends having fun and it owns.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tokin opposition posted:

They aren't the victims here lol

I'd love a pointless paper pusher job, you're free to work poo poo hours at low pay at any homeless shelter if you want a meaningful job. Enjoy the nightly suicide threats and screaming matches over stolen radios while you yourself are still eligible for food stamps

tokin opposition posted:

How often do you have to clean up someone else's human poo poo, blood, and vomit?

Never? Gosh.

I'm literally getting my A+ because a low paid help desk job would be an upgrade for me.

You've never had a schizophrenic woman scream that she's going to kill you because you asked her to keep it down at 1 in the morning. Trade ya.

*leftishly* everyone should suffer as I have

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lmfao this is good

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

mawarannahr posted:

they’re too loud and they’re mainly car descriptions, what the hell is my pedestrian rear end going to do about a highway car description

that’s not a lot of kids and it’s a broken program. you’ll save more kids by using that money to bribe FDA inspectors to approve vaccines or something.

the Canadian version goes off with sound even if your phone is on silent and statistically has probably caused a few deaths from vehicle collisions caused by fatigued drivers because they couldn’t fall back asleep after being awoken in the middle of the night

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Arivia posted:

could be worse. in Canada you can’t mute or lower the volume on amber alerts sent to your phone, the police send them all out at the “APOCALYPTIC EVENT SAY GOODBYE TO LOVED ONES” setting even at 3am
lol if we ever get this bullshit in the uk I’m leaving my phone on airplane mode all drat day

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's not like I'd need much of a reason to throw my phone into the ocean. Making me unable to turn those off could just be the final straw.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

eSports Chaebol posted:

the Canadian version goes off with sound even if your phone is on silent and statistically has probably caused a few deaths from vehicle collisions caused by fatigued drivers because they couldn’t fall back asleep after being awoken in the middle of the night
i know what you meant, but it's more fun to read it the other way

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

lol if we ever get this bullshit in the uk I’m leaving my phone on airplane mode all drat day

i have a old flip phone and i never get any alerts. i guess that means im not gonna be notified when the nukes fly. so I live every day assuming I'm gonna be nuked in 30 min

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FFT posted:

i know what you meant, but it's more fun to read it the other way

it took me a second

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rutibex posted:

i have a old flip phone and i never get any alerts. i guess that means im not gonna be notified when the nukes fly. so I live every day assuming I'm gonna be nuked in 30 min

Liberating

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean what should one really do after a nuke alert? Put a paper bag over your head and lay on the ground?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Duck, cover, clutch a gun as you pray to the founding fathers

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

whoa a kid with brown hair was abducted by a guy driving a silver car, real loving useful and actionable information

so I'm supposed to go around hassling everyone who matches that vague description? I can't imagine it being useful in any situation. if the person is doing something alarming enough that it would make me call for help anyway, like dragging a screaming kid into a white van, the description of them matching the amber alert doesn't matter

edit: and this poo poo is always custody battles anyway so it's not even like a child being lured into a van sort of situation anyway, the kid and the abductor would be indistinguishable from a kid with their parents

BattleMaster has issued a correction as of 23:25 on May 21, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

this rocks actually

yeah those kids own. turning their fun into an ad for your psychotic bullshit, however, does not

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BattleMaster posted:

whoa a kid with brown hair was abducted by a guy driving a silver car, real loving useful and actionable information

so I'm supposed to go around hassling everyone who matches that vague description? I can't imagine it being useful in any situation. if the person is doing something alarming enough that it would make me call for help anyway, like dragging a screaming kid into a white van, the description of them matching the amber alert doesn't matter

you're supposed to call the cops because they're always eager for an excuse to shoot random people for no reason?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Bloop posted:

I mean what should one really do after a nuke alert? Put a paper bag over your head and lay on the ground?

strike a memorable pose so u burn a confusing shadow into the wall for future historians to muse over

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

break into a school and hide under a desk, of course

everyone knows you’re safe from nukes under school desks

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Begin orgy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

strike a memorable pose so u burn a confusing shadow into the wall for future historians to muse over

:hmmyes:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Put all the bottlecaps into your safe and record an audiolog.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arivia posted:

could be worse, could be texas where we have alerts for when someone hit and runs a police car and the police want to find them so they can charge them with assault with a deadly weapon

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Child alerts feel like MADD where good intentions got co-opted by certain parties that ballooned it into something inefficient and/or used to justify additional increases in b.s. police budgets and decreases in law enforcement accountability.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Lone Badger posted:

Put all the bottlecaps into your safe and record an audiolog.

The bottlecaps we have now are bullshit. No one is going to use 'em for currency. Too bulky.

I suggest switching to milk jug rings. Cats love those things.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
nah

bread ties

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's going to be cigarettes until those run out or get so dry that they turn to dust pulling from a pack. And then assholes like me would smoke them anyhow, crippling the supply further until one of Elon's kids holds the last full carton in existence.

Then it will be something slightly less valuable.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

uh the post apocalypse currency is obviously toilet roll

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bussy is the currency of the future. Invest in my Bussycoin now before the world collapses.

e: Bussycoin is the only coin pegged to bussy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's going to be cigarettes until those run out or get so dry that they turn to dust pulling from a pack. And then assholes like me would smoke them anyhow, crippling the supply further until one of Elon's kids holds the last full carton in existence.

Then it will be something slightly less valuable.

cigarettes are the valuable loot item you exchange for bottlecaps, it's been this way since f3

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Bloop posted:

serious answer: nukes do not have infinite power and in the absence of something weird like knowing exactly where its going to land, get as much physical *stuff* between you and outside hazards, like in a tornado

so get inside, to the lowest floor you can, and try to make sure there's something between you and any windows. Curl up, close your eyes, and i think you want your mouth open to reduce the chance of the blastwave blowing your eardrums

nothing's guarantee to work obviously, but again nukes have merely "an enormous amount" of energy, not "an infinite amount" of energy, and that energy is going to decline with distance and at a certain distance you can survive, and taking cover basically just artificially makes you "further" from the center. Might make a difference, might not. We don't have a lot of practical experience, thank god.

if its an alert of like, actual state made nuclear weapons, fallout is not likely to be super high because actual well made nuclear weapons use as much of the fissile material as possible so if you survive the the blast and the probable secondary fires, your going to basically then be worried about water & food. If it's like a meltdown or dirty bomb type situation, try to seal up your environment as much as possible without actually putting yourself at asphyxiation risk. also stay away from magnetic stuff like iron, the atmospheric fallout stuff tends to be heavy and often magnetic

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tulip posted:

serious answer: nukes do not have infinite power and in the absence of something weird like knowing exactly where its going to land, get as much physical *stuff* between you and outside hazards, like in a tornado

In case of a tornado, there's a much higher risk of flooding.

Also, that "should" assumes the objective is survival. I think you could make a superior argument that in case of nukes you should just find sunglasses and watch, given what will happen afterwards.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tulip posted:

so get inside, to the lowest floor you can, and try to make sure there's something between you and any windows. Curl up, close your eyes, and i think you want your mouth open to reduce the chance of the blastwave blowing your eardrums

nothing's guarantee to work obviously, but again nukes have merely "an enormous amount" of energy, not "an infinite amount" of energy, and that energy is going to decline with distance and at a certain distance you can survive, and taking cover basically just artificially makes you "further" from the center. Might make a difference, might not. We don't have a lot of practical experience, thank god.

if its an alert of like, actual state made nuclear weapons, fallout is not likely to be super high because actual well made nuclear weapons use as much of the fissile material as possible so if you survive the the blast and the probable secondary fires, your going to basically then be worried about water & food. If it's like a meltdown or dirty bomb type situation, try to seal up your environment as much as possible without actually putting yourself at asphyxiation risk. also stay away from magnetic stuff like iron, the atmospheric fallout stuff tends to be heavy and often magnetic

This is very bad advice. If I'm close enough that I need to have my mouth open to prevent the blast wave from blowing out my eardrums I'm probably close enough to ground zero to be in for weeks of radiation poisoning and a slow agonizing death. That's the worst place to be!

What you want to do is get to the closest high value target so you are more likely to die instantly.

e: whatever you do, don't get stuck in the orange zone

Facebook Aunt has issued a correction as of 01:50 on May 22, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arivia posted:

cigarettes are the valuable loot item you exchange for bottlecaps, it's been this way since f3

Cigarettes have been currency in prisons pretty much since they were cheap enough that prisoners could afford them.

I think maybe that predates the Fallout series.

I'm not making GBS threads on the Fallout logic but a touch of realism isn't a bad thing. Besides, everything is a currency in those games if you find enough of it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

endlessmonotony posted:

In case of a tornado, there's a much higher risk of flooding.

Also, that "should" assumes the objective is survival. I think you could make a superior argument that in case of nukes you should just find sunglasses and watch, given what will happen afterwards.

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is very bad advice. If I'm close enough that I need to have my mouth open to prevent the blast wave from blowing out my eardrums I'm probably close enough to ground zero to be in for weeks of radiation poisoning and a slow agonizing death. That's the worst place to be!

What you want to do is get to the closest high value target so you are more likely to die instantly.

fair points, fair points

personally i think i'm in good enough health to become the lackey to a wasteland mad scientist, and that sounds like a promotion from my current position

maybe i should start dressing for the job i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tulip posted:

fair points, fair points

personally i think i'm in good enough health to become the lackey to a wasteland mad scientist, and that sounds like a promotion from my current position

maybe i should start dressing for the job i want

No better time than now, you have significant freedom in the rest of the outfit as long as you have the right PPE.