Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Thank you for the kind words, friends

e: lovely snype oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Thanks to catching covid at work this weekend, I've had much more time than I expected to get painting some miniatures! :v:

First up some in a classic SLDF olive drab, started with that Banshee and Marauder I got from random salvage boxes:

Next is a Star of Wolf(ish) or maybe Hell's Horses OmniMechs:

Here are some random Omnis I was playing around with some paints for Jade Falcon opfor:

A mercenary company/urban fighter company assortment with a couple I tried drybrushing with for the first time:

Just random ones with Citadel Contrasts:

More random ones but in all these cases I was using Army Painter speedpaints:

Here is the last company I've done up, using Citadel Contrasts, a Capellan Confederation opfor. I used the MWDA color types since those were two-tone and I'm not feeling adventurous enough to try to replicate regimental schemes lol:

Random thoughts from painting the last few days: I'm pretty far from experienced with painting minis but from my experiences so far I've had a much better time using the Army Painter speedpaints. I use a vortex mixer and even with that, I just seem to get less pleasing results to my eyes from the contrast paints. Especially with the Militarum Green which I mixed the poo poo out of, it just always feels blotchy to me. This may be due to my inexperience, I dunno. Also, maybe my process is slow enough right now, but I haven't run into the speedpaint reactivation issue. With the test figures I did the dark color first, then went over to the lighter ones to finish the figure. All of them also get the grey color to the weapons locations. On my final to-do once I get all of the minis I have painted up, I picked up some regular paints to dot the weapons ports especially for lasers/PPCs. Unfortunately I think my hands shake too much to dot the tiny missile warheads :smith:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nice stuff! Love the diversity.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Holybat posted:

Just random ones with Citadel Contrasts:

I really like how the colors turned out on that rifleman

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Aggaros Dunes is light enough that you can splotch greens and browns over it for a really easy and effective camo pattern.

Some edge highlighting (or light drybrushing) with a sandy tan can help tie it all together.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks for the responses everybody! The Blackjack was the first mini I've ever painted, followed by the Rifleman. I had an Archer and Mad Cat painted up similarly but I wasn't as happy with the result so I decided to strip those and retry later.

and yes thanks to PTN's beginner's advice with using Aggaros Dunes for the camo pattern. I'll have to give the sandy tan drybrushing a shot as well

Holybat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 18, 2022

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My kid and his buddy have been running around my house after school all week shouting, "ER PPC! ER PPC!" while shooting Nerf guns at each other. I think this means I'm parenting correctly?

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

Aggaros Dunes is light enough that you can splotch greens and browns over it for a really easy and effective camo pattern.

Some edge highlighting (or light drybrushing) with a sandy tan can help tie it all together.

nice! i'm gonna have to give that a shot. now that i've got some faction colors out of the way i want to experiment with a few random camo pattern "garrison / merc" guys.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Avynte posted:

nice! i'm gonna have to give that a shot. now that i've got some faction colors out of the way i want to experiment with a few random camo pattern "garrison / merc" guys.

The other good beginner camo is Basilicanum Gray basecoat with splotches of more Basilicanum Gray on it when it dries for a good gray/gray urban camo.

For added bonus, if you turn the second layer of Basilicanum Gray into stripes you get the Gray Death Legion's camo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Basilicanum Gray is better at being Nuln Oil than Nuln Oil is.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Atlas Hugged posted:

My kid and his buddy have been running around my house after school all week shouting, "ER PPC! ER PPC!" while shooting Nerf guns at each other. I think this means I'm parenting correctly?

Lol

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cored by my own child shooting a nerf pellet directly into my reactor

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I've gotten back into the HBS battletech game and am thinking of picking up the beginner's box/ the base set to dip my toes in the tabletop version. for 20 pounds is the beginner's box worth it or is it better to pick up the full one for around 50? It looks like the full one has some alpha strike rules which are simplified as well?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

So I've gotten back into the HBS battletech game and am thinking of picking up the beginner's box/ the base set to dip my toes in the tabletop version. for 20 pounds is the beginner's box worth it or is it better to pick up the full one for around 50? It looks like the full one has some alpha strike rules which are simplified as well?

Beginner Box:
Pros:
- The only way to get a Griffin miniature
- Comes with a cardstock sheet of the most used tables

Cons:
- Only one (double-sided) mapsheet, which is just barely big enough for you to do 1v1 or 2v2 mirror matches and not much else
- Price point per physical mini is 10 pounds per mini, making the Griffin and (duplicate) Wolverine the two most expensive minis in the line
- Beginner rules are probably too simplified

Core Box
Pros:
- Much better mini-rulebook
- Price point per 'Mech is 5 pounds per 'Mech, which (should be?) standard with the rest of the line.
- TWO double-sided mapsheets is big enough for bigger fights and gives you some variety in your battlefield

Cons:
- I can't think of any? It's a pretty good deal.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

Beginner Box:
Pros:
- The only way to get a Griffin miniature

Cons:
- Only one (double-sided) mapsheet, which is just barely big enough for you to do 1v1 or 2v2 mirror matches and not much else
- Price point per physical mini is 10 pounds per mini, making the Griffin and (duplicate) Wolverine the two most expensive minis in the line
- Beginner rules are probably too simplified

Core Box
Pros:
- Much better mini-rulebook
- Price point per 'Mech is 5 pounds per 'Mech, which (should be?) standard with the rest of the line.
- TWO double-sided mapsheets is big enough for bigger fights and gives you some variety in your battlefield

Cons:
- I can't think of any? It's a pretty good deal.

Cool, I'll probably pick up the core box then. Messing around with megamek I don't really like the griffin v wolverine, as it seems to come down to closing the distance with the wolverine and hoping the griffin doesn't hit before you get 2 hexes out? How does the griffin open the space up again if the wolverine gets that close?

Also I need to find people to play with lol

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Cool, I'll probably pick up the core box then. Messing around with megamek I don't really like the griffin v wolverine, as it seems to come down to closing the distance with the wolverine and hoping the griffin doesn't hit before you get 2 hexes out? How does the griffin open the space up again if the wolverine gets that close?

By taking advantage of its jump jets to move over cover or terrain that will slow the Wolverine down. Hard to do on the (extremely cover-light) mapsheet in the beginner's box. In such a tight space I'd say the Wolverine should probably win most of the time.

BattleTech isn't like Warhammer, they're perfectly fine with you playing with proxies as long as you can tell which way the front is for positioning purposes; but there are two more pros of the core set:
- The 10 'Mechs in the core set is enough for you to have a nice visual variety in your proxies.
- The core set comes with more record sheets. There're plenty of programs (Solaris Skunkwerks / MegaMeklab) that let you print record sheets for free, but having a few is still nice.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PoptartsNinja posted:

By taking advantage of its jump jets to move over cover or terrain that will slow the Wolverine down. Hard to do on the (extremely cover-light) mapsheet in the beginner's box. In such a tight space I'd say the Wolverine should probably win most of the time.

Why wouldn't the Wolverine just use its own jump jets to close the distance? They're both 5/8/5 unless the beginner's box forces some weird variant.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

ilmucche posted:

I got both recently, one after the other, and going by the pricing I'm guessing you're in the uk?

In that case there's a couple extra things worth noting based on what I got, shouldn't really affect your decision, just a couple of heads ups - despite what the box/listings for the box say the record sheets are not laminated, or at least the ones i got weren't, and they were stapled in a booklet rather than individual. I also got a $20 voucher for CGL's store included - which is useful for getting a couple extra rulebook pdfs/TROs (nothing physical because the overseas shipping is like 100 bucks).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

Why wouldn't the Wolverine just use its own jump jets to close the distance? They're both 5/8/5 unless the beginner's box forces some weird variant.

It can't gain ground with its jets, so if the Griffin starts playing keep-away early its hard for the Wolverine to catch up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Disproportionation posted:

I got both recently, one after the other, and going by the pricing I'm guessing you're in the uk?

In that case there's a couple extra things worth noting based on what I got, shouldn't really affect your decision, just a couple of heads ups - despite what the box/listings for the box say the record sheets are not laminated, or at least the ones i got weren't, and they were stapled in a booklet rather than individual. I also got a $20 voucher for CGL's store included - which is useful for getting a couple extra rulebook pdfs/TROs (nothing physical because the overseas shipping is like 100 bucks).

It'll be for the UK yeah. Been looking for groups to try and join to get a few games in with people as well.

I'll probably get the core box, as a way to get into it and then see if a friend can let me mess around with his warhammer paints

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It can't gain ground with its jets, so if the Griffin starts playing keep-away early its hard for the Wolverine to catch up.

Ahh, okay. I thought you were responding specifically to this:

ilmucche posted:

How does the griffin open up space again if the wolverine gets that close?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
You generally don't want to 1v1 things with a Griffin. It's a battlefield sniper after all, not a frontline machine. Ideally you want a second unit to run interference so the Griffin can hang back and punch holes in things

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, I think being a 1v1 game is where the Beginner Box falls down. So much of the game is tied up into units working in concert, it's like having an intro version of Mario Kart where you can't power slide.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rorahusky posted:

You generally don't want to 1v1 things with a Griffin. It's a battlefield sniper after all, not a frontline machine. Ideally you want a second unit to run interference so the Griffin can hang back and punch holes in things

That's kind of what I noticed messing around in megamek, though I guess in the beginner box heat isn't a issue

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished my Kuritan company. #st Sword of Light

That's the last of my (planned) Great House Inner Sphere companies unless I decide to do Marik Militia.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

A question on resolving crits

If something gets hit with 2 SRM missiles and the first one TAC crits the CT damaging a gyro does the mech do the PSR and fall over if it fails before the second missile hits? If so, does the second missile now hit relative to the now prone mech?

like if the first one was a shot to the back but the mech falls on its back, is it now a front shot for the second missile?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You do the PSR after all fire is resolved

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Like Defiance Industries says, the effects of crits on things like PSRs you do at the end of the phase.

The reason for that is that there are a lot of things that can cause a PSR or make one harder, like taking 20 damage across all attacks that phase, or additional critical damage. If you take a gyro hit, and you also take a hip crit, and also take a foot crit in the other leg, and you take 20 damage, then at the end of the phase you'll have to make four separate PSRs but they're all at the hardest difficulty (i.e. skill 5 + 1 [for 20+ damage] + 1 [foot crit] + 2 [hip crit] + 3 [gyro hit] = 12s, four times in a row or you eat poo poo).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ok, so to make sure I've got it shooting phase is
Declare shots

Resolve attack x, along with its associated crits/ammo explosions/part destruction/pilot injury
Resolve attack y, along with its associated crits/ammo explosions/part destruction/pilot inury
etc.

Any mechs that are destroyed or have dead pilots from the above are removed

psrs/falling down triggers created during resolving attacks are put on the stack and resolved

Any mechs that are destroyed or have dead pilots from the above are removed

Go to physical attacks phase and do it the same way?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah pretty much. There are a couple intricacies* in there but that's a good overview of it.

*resolve crits as they happen, don't leave them until the end. The reason for this is if you get a "Limb Blown Off" crit or an ammo explosion then the limb is just gone even if it still had structure to take damage left, same for ammo explosions. If you wait until the end, some of those hits might have transferred inward.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I have to say, 'Mechs look drat good in red

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I love my goofy 2D original plastic mechs.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I love my goofy 2D original plastic mechs.

That Hunchback looks like it needs to hit the gym again and work on its core strength and legs some more. It has a bit too much of the Rob Liefeld proportions to it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah the plastic sculpts in the 25th Anniversary Box (which was what, 10 years ago now? :unsmigghh:) vary wildly in, if not quality, than in wonkiness. Some of them are mostly perfectly fine representations of their respective mechs (Dervish, Awesome, even the Atlas is ok), if not up to 2022 standards, and others are well, nearly indistinguishable from a cardboard cutout.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Since we're all posting paintjobs, I too have started on the journey. Regrettable phone photo quality, though, might be able to get some better ones as I work my way through this company.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does anyone have a online print store they recommend to pick up alternative robots from the ones that catalyst sells?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BadLlama posted:

Does anyone have a online print store they recommend to pick up alternative robots from the ones that catalyst sells?

I've had good service from Defiance Industries on Etsy. They have a number of alternates, a great many of which are pulled from MWO but by no means all. A word of advise: order hex bases with them as they are not included with the model automatically.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/xDefianceIndustries?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1142543284

There are a lot of options there, mostly organized via TRO but they can be purchased in terms of custom lances or even companies.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is the relevant Facebook group and it has a link to an excellent database.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1828077187226957

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BadLlama posted:

I've got a ton from https://www.etsy.com/shop/HesperusIIMinis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

LeschNyhan posted:

Since we're all posting paintjobs, I too have started on the journey. Regrettable phone photo quality, though, might be able to get some better ones as I work my way through this company.

I like this color on those mechs. Looking good, and definite props for the cockpit frame on the Locust