Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
idgaf about jublee i get a 4 day weekend, i'll just keep the television off and do something nice like writing an exciting and useful program on my home-computer!!!!!!!!!!! :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

But anyway, people say Around The Fur is nu-metal and that's still good, and I'll always dig the 1st 2 System of a Down albums despite being nu-metal as poo poo, it's not all irredeemable garbage, just 99.9999%

System of a Down will forever be part of nu metal now, but when that first album came out, it was a breath of fresh air compared to all the down tuned poo poo played by men in tracksuits that was already prevalent at the time. And nu metal had barely got going yet.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Junkenstein posted:

System of a Down will forever be part of nu metal now, but when that first album came out, it was a breath of fresh air compared to all the down tuned poo poo played by men in tracksuits that was already prevalent at the time. And nu metal had barely got going yet.

I've been listening to SOAD a lot this week for no particular reason, and yeah those 2 albums slap pretty hard. It's like the RATM thing, you listen to a song like Prison Song when you're entering middle age and a little more politically conscious and you're like :hmmyes: .

Pairs well with bingeing a load of Tigran Hamasyan albums as well, Armenian-influenced music is some cool poo poo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
linked-in park

Oct 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pFbzrbzrtE

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can reuse all the songs about the Voice of God coming in the evening and telling him to kill people.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if jeremy corbyn had got into number ten he'd have rightly had tony blair sectioned imo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Junkenstein posted:

Deftones and SoaD are the only two that still stand the test of time, because SoaD were interesting and Deftones saw nu metal's death coming and got weird with it instead.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boKihmOqypc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've been listening to SOAD a lot this week for no particular reason, and yeah those 2 albums slap pretty hard. It's like the RATM thing, you listen to a song like Prison Song when you're entering middle age and a little more politically conscious and you're like :hmmyes: .

Pairs well with bingeing a load of Tigran Hamasyan albums as well, Armenian-influenced music is some cool poo poo

I remember that an early or unmixed version of Prison Song leaked on the file sharing networks (maybe it was the whole album, but I especially remember that Prison Song changed a lot) & thinking it was really cool & better than the version that was later on the album, but I can't for the life of me remember what was different about it. Which is annoying.

I love the Weezer video he did, as another person who loves Weezer and also hates Weezer

Also I have been inspired to listen to the first SOAD album again & boy is it riotous good fun.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 21, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean it is possible. The UK has successfully trialled a depoliticised civil service. It’s not clear if you can get away with this when you’re not a big and rich ex colonial power. But it’s a good thing to have if your country can afford it IMO.

I'd say that even in the continental EU countries (or in the US for that matter) which are not especially corrupt there is an expectation that the civil service will be reshuffled after a new government comes in, so in a way the UK is fairly unique in that ambition and I do think it's a good thing to have.

I also think that the EU has been very good at stamping out the more obvious kinds of corruption, particularly in Eastern Europe - there is a very obvious line between Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia/Poland/Slovakia/Romania/Bulgaria and the rest (albeit Romania and Bulgaria are a bit worse, but then they did join a bit later too).

Though there is some argument that the EE corruption really only came after the fall of communism and never took as much root in the more western parts for various reasons (more global business involvement, fewer natural resources) - certainly when you talk to people from the previous generations they are all very insistent that there wasn't any obvious corruption beyond what was explicitly institutionalised (much like Ronya mentions regarding Singapore) - people from 'good communist' families getting preferential treatment etc.

e: It might be tempting to say from an authoritarian POV that it's because of the associated death penalty, but then, well, China.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 21, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

wow that remark really got you crawling in your skin huh

will those wounds heal?

ah hell yeah i like linkin park

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
most british corruption is both largely legalised and normalised which is exactly how those PPE contracts went- you have the right connections, you make the right promises/spread the wealth and a juicy contract lands with you, or you work "closely with industry" as a government minister, do the right things for the right people then retire into a cushy directorship, or your spouse already works there, or has shares

or you become an advisor or consultant while being a minister, do your favours quietly while still in position- no matter if you are earning cash on what should be a clear conflict of interest, provided you declare it for precisely three tenths of gently caress all people to care about and don't piss off a tabloid it's fine

or poo poo like when the aircraft carriers were specced to be upgradeable to steam catapults, at the cost of billions of quid extra on the contract, then when they arrived they weren't upgradeable at all and all the cash was all gone- where? lol that's a state secret now

or just rely on pure old nepotism and hire your kids to do-nothing jobs for 50k a year each on the expenses

OwlFancier posted:

ah hell yeah i like linkin park

that album was actually pretty drat good not gonna lie

not gonna stop mocking it either

appreciation of music is complex

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think my taste in music is basically just, like, the emo station from saints row 2.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://road.cc/content/news/round-world-riders-bike-stolen-near-wetherspoons-292925

A British adventure cyclist who says he spent 835 days cycling around the world "through countries people repeatedly warned were too dangerous to visit" has had his latest adventure brought to an abrupt end... outside a Reading branch of Wetherspoons, where his girlfriend's bike was stolen.

Josiah Skeats says he has covered over 40,000km by bike on his Instagram page, and was on only his second day of bike touring in England when he arrived in Reading on Tuesday.

:britain:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I found out recently that System of a Down did a Wu-Tang cover with RZA and it is very strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY42Ytl2s6U

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

I found out recently that System of a Down did a Wu-Tang cover with RZA and it is very strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY42Ytl2s6U

Nice of RZA to be so generous with his N-word passes imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I think my taste in music is basically just, like, the emo station from saints row 2.

Radio X from GTA SA for me.
Every time 'L7 - Let's Pretend We're Dead' started it was gently caress the mission its no brake cop killing time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Every time 'L7 - Let's Pretend We're Dead' started it was gently caress the mission its no brake cop killing time.

You can't go wrong with an in game radio station that lets me drive about while singing MOTHER by Danzig

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

happyhippy posted:

This but Burro Banton - Badder Dan Dem in GTA4.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

My favourite pastime in GTA:SA was to grab the gt40, mod it for off road, and then rag it all over the countryside listening to the radio.

Really pissed me off that I couldn't play the radio from earlier in the game.

It was also the game that gave me the worst moment of my game playing life. I was just dicking about and thought it would be fun to stick up an old lady. She dropped her cash like normal but I kept her at gun point for a while just to gently caress with her. I then targeted her head and shot her. I switched off the game and didn't play it for 3 months because I was so appalled at my actions.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

This but Burro Banton - Badder Dan Dem in GTA4.

This is Jet Set Radio Future erasure, and I will not stand for it.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I just want to thank you lot. I got a solid six hours of sleep last night ( above the Thatcher allotment of four hours). This was due in no small part to the support and know how of goons, and knowing I'm not alone. Thank you all.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Only played the Japanese import on Dreamcast, don't get this reference.

My favourite GTA4 thing was to go online, and single out one randomer on a quiet server and just hunt them like the loving Terminator until they rage quit.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Only played the Japanese import on Dreamcast, don't get this reference.

My favourite GTA4 thing was to go online, and single out one randomer on a quiet server and just hunt them like the loving Terminator until they rage quit.

Oh it just had awesome music and I was acting like praising one games music was a slight to another game. https://youtu.be/ugo6ASPVu9g#t=27m26s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trickjaw posted:

I just want to thank you lot. I got a solid six hours of sleep last night ( above the Thatcher allotment of four hours). This was due in no small part to the support and know how of goons, and knowing I'm not alone. Thank you all.

Great to hear! Did the elevation help any?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Understand understand, the concept, the concept of love.

Sad fact: The reason that game hasn't been remastered like the original Jet Set Radio has is because apparently JSRF's soundtrack is a wasp's nest of licensing issues.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's quite a few people tweeting that Carrie has apparently run off with Zac Goldsmith, which would explain why nobody has seen her for weeks.

https://twitter.com/justwearmasks/status/1528093707290951682

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
maybe stop being a weirdo about people's personal lives

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If there was any point at which Boris and Carrie had tried to keep their personal lives private, you'd have a point. But they've basically waved them around like Boris' spare tires when he goes on a run or their children when Boris remembers they exist, so they're fair game, imo.

Also, Zac Goldsmith is a racist rich oval office. That doesn't relate to whether we should pry into his personal life, I just felt like typing it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/top-tory-mp-faces-drink-27030008

Yet another rapist MP. Allegedly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The magic of the ignore button doesn't work if you quote them

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

The magic of the ignore button doesn't work if you quote them

i hope someone quotes this that I think you are a massive coward

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Totally normal country. "Have you heard about the rapist MP? No, not that one. Not that one either."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i hope someone quotes this that I think you are a massive coward

No need. I saw how quickly you posted and immediately knew it was in response to me, so I unhid the post.

Now you've said what you think of me, I can explain why I have you on my ignore list: You never add anything of interest, relevance or substance, as in ever. You consistently post terrible opinions and waste people's time with bad faith arguments, and it's been pointed out by others that if you posted anywhere else in D&D like you do here, you'd be probated on the spot. I occasionally view a post of yours every week or two, and it's always the same: you are incapable of posting anything worth reading.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

No need. I saw how quickly you posted and immediately knew it was in response to me, so I unhid the post.

Now you've said what you think of me, I can explain why I have you on my ignore list: You never add anything of interest, relevance or substance, as in ever. You consistently post terrible opinions and waste people's time with bad faith arguments, and it's been pointed out by others that if you posted anywhere else in D&D like you do here, you'd be probated on the spot. I occasionally view a post of yours every week or two, and it's always the same: you are incapable of posting anything worth reading.

post a worthless tweet about it pal.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Tories aren't people

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hey maybe we will see a Starmer goverent if the Tories keep getting kicked out for sex crimes until there aren't enough left.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

stev posted:

Hey maybe we will see a Starmer goverent if the Tories keep getting kicked out for sex crimes until there aren't enough left.

that wouldn't be honourable or proper. i'm sure the party whips will have appropriate pairing arrangements in place to prevent a member having their vote invalidated merely on account of doing horrible crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

Tories aren't people

He's got you there...