Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Mission: Impossible trailer leaked. Enjoy while you can. I think the music is temp.

https://twitter.com/AceyMainman/status/1528124222190460928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

blast0rama posted:

Mission: Impossible trailer leaked. Enjoy while you can. I think the music is temp.

Owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

looks fun, more fun than bond. i'm not an M:I superfan by any means but cruise's passion project has grown on me over the years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

blast0rama posted:

Do you really need to put Tom Cruise's name in your trailer?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Do you really need to put Tom Cruise's name in your trailer?

Probably worth doing if you can, yeah.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what a great cast

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

looks fun, more fun than bond. i'm not an M:I superfan by any means but cruise's passion project has grown on me over the years.

I am an M:I superfan. I grew up a Bond fan, and these movies are just so much more fun now. And yeah, Cruise’s passion is all over the screen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kliras posted:

what a great cast

Yeah that cast is STACKED

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It looks like a way better Bond and parts of it even reminded me of the John Wicks, which I am so down for. I'm not sure how it could possibly be crazier than the last one, but I am still really looking forward to it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Trailer got pulled when I was halfway through it :( Anyone have a mirror?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Kiimo leaked it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Kiimo leaked it

patriot

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dillbag posted:

Kiimo leaked it

Not linking here first smdh

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hoping for one as good as MI3 one day, but it's def been trending up as a series since the low point of Ghost Protocol.
Either way id always watch a new MI before a new James Bond. Just plz have compelling villains, so tired of nihilistic nordic men trying to "help humanity evolve or whatever" thru nuclear apocalypse. I know it's hard to top PSH, but do try. Cavill was fun at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would like one movie where Ethan isn't disavowed because he was framed for something and had to prove his innocence.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I would like one movie where Ethan isn't disavowed because he was framed for something and had to prove his innocence.

I mean if it was just Ethan doing his day to day, the series would be Mission: Possible.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im honestly okay with him constantly fighting against the intelligence community at large as long as the main villain is compelling. Also have a solid supporting cast, keep the Pegg quips low for godsakes. 3 had Lawrence Fishburne, John Rhys Meyers, and just a solid ensemble cast... then they decided what we needed the next few movies were...jeremy renner and more jeremy renner and more simon pegg comedy relief :geno:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
3 was a nice reset after 2 and definitely saved the franchise but it’s been far surpassed by every entry since. It is JJ’s best movie though, I don’t think he’ll ever top it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The third film felt like an episode of a pretty good TV series... it was fine, I guess. I think it's the least cinematic of the series and none of the action sequences stuck with me. It's probably a better movie than 2, but a less interesting one.

Four is where the series found its current identity, in my opinion. The ensemble wasn't as strong in that one, but they found their legs with the stunt-driven action. 5 brought in Rebecca Furgeson and she's been the best addition to the cast thus far. 6 was kind of just "5 but more," which is great. So long as they maintain this high bar of action, I don't think I'll ever stop wanting more. John Wick is the only other major Hollywood franchise that consistently delivers in that regard.

It's always amusing to think that the film iteration was kicked off with a DePalma-lite thriller. It's so removed from that sub-genre now.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 22, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Fallout is probably the best entry but Ghost Protocol should be the series' representative in the Hall of Fame for being the movie that "fixed" the franchise.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I rewatched Ghost Protocol recently and I feel like modern action movies have sort of retroactively worsened it, but not because of an increased bar in quality. During the Burj Dubai sequence, my brain interpreted it as fake green screen poo poo, even though I knew Tom Cruise is a madman and hung off the drat building. It's like the reliance on green screen everything makes my brain think everything is fake, and that makes me sad.

Still a fun movie though. Too bad Tomorrowland ruined Brad Bird's live action career.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rewatched the whole series a couple months ago (and watched the first one for the first time, as I'd somehow never seen it before). The first one is a good movie, although yeah, it does feel pretty old-fashioned compared to later movies in the series. It's like watching The Fast and the Furious where the crew is boosting combo TV/VCRs and then watching F9 where they take a car into space. The hijinks get so much crazier that it's jarring.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hoping for one as good as MI3 one day, but it's def been trending up as a series since the low point of Ghost Protocol.
Either way id always watch a new MI before a new James Bond. Just plz have compelling villains, so tired of nihilistic nordic men trying to "help humanity evolve or whatever" thru nuclear apocalypse. I know it's hard to top PSH, but do try. Cavill was fun at least.

I wasn't a huge fan of Ghost Protocol but I'd definitely take it over the subsequent movies. I still prefer 1 and 3 over everything else tho.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

While I agree that aspect is overly repetitive, I think it's just too hard to imagine rooting for a guy who is executing the some hidden agenda of the United States government. These aren't fantasy movies, after all.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

MI Fallout imo is like one of the best action movies ever. It's just so good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im honestly okay with him constantly fighting against the intelligence community at large as long as the main villain is compelling. Also have a solid supporting cast, keep the Pegg quips low for godsakes. 3 had Lawrence Fishburne, John Rhys Meyers, and just a solid ensemble cast... then they decided what we needed the next few movies were...jeremy renner and more jeremy renner and more simon pegg comedy relief :geno:

One of the endings is stupid too.
The bad guy is chasing after Cruise.
The whole 'plan' they have is hoping the bad guy will miss every shot. even weaken the windows for Tom can and NEEDS to jump through, and hope he sees where Tom goes every moment along the way.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That’s not stupid, those are just genre conventions. These movies aren’t supposed to be realistic. The entire concept of Ethan Hunt is a fantasy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bugblatter posted:

The third film felt like an episode of a pretty good TV series... it was fine, I guess. I think it's the least cinematic of the series and none of the action sequences stuck with me. It's probably a better movie than 2, but a less interesting one.

It’s because it’s an episode of Alias. I don’t necessarily mean this in a bad way, but it was JJ’s first movie, so he was staying in his comfort zone. It feels almost exactly like an episode of Alias. It even had Simon Pegg in the Alias Marshall role.

That being said, I love the first two seasons of Alias, when JJ was involved, so I love M:I 3. But you’re definitely not wrong.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

happyhippy posted:

One of the endings is stupid too.
The bad guy is chasing after Cruise.
The whole 'plan' they have is hoping the bad guy will miss every shot. even weaken the windows for Tom can and NEEDS to jump through, and hope he sees where Tom goes every moment along the way.

So you're saying the mission was nearly impossible? drat.

I mean yeah you're right though the heroes probably are hoping the bad guy won't shoot them dead, I don't know how that one slipped through.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ghost protocol is the only good mission impossible movie

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

McQuarrie does action better than almost anyone else, save for Miller. Because Three Thousand Years of Longing also looks loving great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

scary ghost dog posted:

ghost protocol is the only good mission impossible movie

well, you're clearly biased

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtRNqe78x4o

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that is one of my favorite episodes of utena

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

well i am all the way the gently caress in on whatever the gently caress this is :stare:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's like Lamb meets Black Swan. Whoa.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

That Chris Pratt show looks bad, but it's not really all that surprising given what I think is brewing in military/political movies and TV shows right now. Something similar happened at the tail end of the Cold War, and for the decade after it, where we got a ton of movies about how awesome America was, and how nothing could stand in our way. Like all the Jack Ryan movies where, even if in some of them the main enemies were part of the government, there would still be the "good government guys" to save us. Like Clear and Present Danger, where sure, the President was the bad guy, but Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones, the Deputy Director and Director of the god drat CIA, are the good guys. There's a great podcast that breaks down the movies from that era, and what they did to us as a movie going audience (short version, really hosed up both liberals and conservatives, but there's more to it than that) called Unclear and Present Danger that I can't recommend enough. One of their points was that after 9/11, most people thought the war that followed would be over very quickly, because movies had shown America being so efficient at war, that al-Qaeda didn't stand a god drat chance. I remember people talking about how soon there would be a "Lake Afghanistan", as hosed up as that is. And then that just didn't happen, and there was a large culture shock as a result.

Now we're in a (sort of) post War on Terror era where soldiers are coming back from unwinnable wars we never should have been in, where the perception is that the soldiers signed up for the right reasons (whatever you think of them, I'm talking what the movie going audience by and large think) and are now being screwed and left behind by the government they signed up to serve. Hence why we're getting stuff like this, and that very similar looking Chris Pine movie (loving Chris's) called The Contractor, where good soldiers who have come home from the war try to right the wrongs done to them by those above them.

These movies will likely also gently caress up an entire generation or two.

fake edit: I don't know how to reconcile the Jack Ryan TV show with all of this. I haven't watched it, because I have no desire to, but that is a weird anomaly, to me. A show, today, where the CIA are the good guys.

This video on 24 gives pretty great view of how the most popular piece of War on Terror media tried to make sense the conflict through the lens of action movie logic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

davidspackage posted:

It's like Lamb meets Black Swan. Whoa.

i got some serious Goodnight Mommy vibes as well

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m1drlOZSDw

Mission: Impossible trailer is now officially online. Turns out the music was not a placeholder, but whatever.

High Warlord Zog posted:

This video on 24 gives pretty great view of how the most popular piece of War on Terror media tried to make sense the conflict through the lens of action movie logic

I'll check it out, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress me that looks good.