Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Anyone know any good Gundam/hobby stores in the Chicago land area? I've been to hobby town and gaming goat, but I'm always looking for something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Kinokuniya out in the suburbs has a healthy gunpla section, at least if you get there right after a restock (they often post on Instagram).

My experience is usually more that I go in there and they've got like three zoids and then I buy an issue of Thunderbolt for too much money.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Asked a Chicago friend and they said they've been meaning to check out Nakama Toys on California and from creepin' their social it looks like they've got a good bit of gunpla.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
If anyone wants a PG-scale Metal Build of Amazing Exia: https://www.gundammodelcenter.com/steel-legend-amazing-exia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skM7lStZnCo

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

YanniRotten posted:

Kinokuniya out in the suburbs has a healthy gunpla section, at least if you get there right after a restock (they often post on Instagram).

My experience is usually more that I go in there and they've got like three zoids and then I buy an issue of Thunderbolt for too much money.

It's been hit and miss for me, there's been times when I go and the shelves are totally empty. Then a few hours later I see on social media they restocked.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Asked a Chicago friend and they said they've been meaning to check out Nakama Toys on California and from creepin' their social it looks like they've got a good bit of gunpla.

It's been a good five or so years since I've been there. I kinda forgot they existed cause they're never open on Wednesdays and that's the best day for me to go.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Much to my surprise in my foray into this hobby, my 5-year-old daughter has become my build buddy. I ordered a small batch of models that I wanted to build, and she immediately laid claim to them all and dictated in which order we'd build them. First up, this chonky boy:

"Daddy can we work on the Gundam model?" just warms my stupid goony heart.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Small hands good for small parts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well is the powered GM any good or does it have some mid 2000s shortcomings?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

somebody in here asked about foreign p-bandai origin HGs and i speculated it was about the Cucuruz Island kits; if that was you (or even if it wasn't), they're going up on US p-bandai tonight. $30 for grandaddy, $26 for the battle damaged zaku

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
20 minutes until the massive PBamdai drop. I cannot wait to try and snag the PG Perfectability and done MGs.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Suzaku posted:

20 minutes until the massive PBamdai drop. I cannot wait to try and snag the PG Perfectability and done MGs.

Are you getting the perfectibility accessories? I was just texting a friend saying I’d have to get all the extra stuff for that giant boy

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Well is the powered GM any good or does it have some mid 2000s shortcomings?

Other than articulation for a mid-2000s HGUC kit, it has a mindboggling quirk of having an open hand being the only left hand option.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Snowy posted:

Are you getting the perfectibility accessories? I was just texting a friend saying I’d have to get all the extra stuff for that giant boy

That's the plan. Hopefully I pull it off this time, unlike the other two.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

JoeGlassJAw posted:

somebody in here asked about foreign p-bandai origin HGs and i speculated it was about the Cucuruz Island kits; if that was you (or even if it wasn't), they're going up on US p-bandai tonight. $30 for grandaddy, $26 for the battle damaged zaku

yep, I was able to get my order in. thanks!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Success! Lots of congestion, but liberal refreshing let me get everything I wanted this time. I'm pretty sure the new per person limits on kids is helping things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Other than articulation for a mid-2000s HGUC kit, it has a mindboggling quirk of having an open hand being the only left hand option.

The articulation is pretty decent for the time, I'd say. The Powered GM was about when Bandai started to have double joints everywhere. Basic layout is the inferior ball joint legs version, but it's at the cutoff point where kits start feeling mostly okay.

Also, managed to order the Zaku, the Gundiver, and the Ryusei Go. Nothing seems to be running out so fast this time, which is nice.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I've started putting together the new Entry Grade Gundams and I have to say I'm a little impressed. These definitely ain't your grandaddy's 'first grade' kits, if that's what's been putting you off.

I found the Nu Gundam in a convenience store a week or so ago and decided for 1000 yen I couldn't go wrong, and I hadn't actually touched a pla in quite a few months no thanks to stock shortages. I also found the RX-78 and the Strike in stock in a lot of places because I'm guessing the 'Entry Grade' label puts some people off but hey, more pla for me.

Construction wise they're much better than 2000s HGs and about on par with the average for the past 10 years of HGs. The downsides are the all plastic construction can make the joints a little stiff (and probably loose when the molds start to go out of spec) but the articulation is surprisingly good despite the lack of polys.

The color separation is also good, no stickers in sight and yet the crotch Vs are still present on both the 78 and the Nu. They've also done something really interesting with the eyes to make up for the lack of stickers. The eyes themselves are molded in the eye color and the black around them is left open, with the shadows of the surround parts filling the negative space. It looks real neat, and once its together you really can't tell the difference until you shine a light in there.

It's all touch gates like recent SDs as well so technically you can get away without any tools at all which is great for people looking for a first GunPla with no previous modelling experience. Even if you are experienced, the lack of clean up is a real novelty. The 78 does have some egregious front facing seams on the shin but they have improved on the Strike and there are no such troubles at all on the Nu.

So yeah, if you've been eying these but holding off because connotations of the 'Entry Grade' label/marketing, I'd say go ahead because at list price they're good fun for the money.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The entry grade line used to be so dumb. Why would you have a starter kit that looks so awful right out of the box and needs a ton of painting and masking to even look half way decent?

Look at this crap. look at it:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Those days are gone. Now you can walk into Target with your 6 year old, spend $10-20 and get this:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

The entry grade line used to be so dumb. Why would you have a starter kit that looks so awful right out of the box and needs a ton of painting and masking to even look half way decent?

Look at this crap. look at it:

There's something oddly charming about the weapons being cast in "untextured model blue."

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

the EG rx-78 is a really impressive piece of engineering. very few parts for the color accuracy, extremely small gates, and better proportions than the HGUC 191. I have been really impressed and am using it to try some airbrushing

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

St0rmD posted:

Those days are gone. Now you can walk into Target with your 6 year old, spend $10-20 and get this:

Wow, that's a great price. How much was the Gundam?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

St0rmD posted:

Now teach him to pose it properly. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have that same EG, there's really not that much poseability.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Waffleman_ posted:

I have that same EG, there's really not that much poseability.

Seems pretty good to me.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
The box size is making me nervous, about to start building thick boy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boz posted:

The box size is making me nervous, about to start building thick boy

Relax, it's just a Real Grade.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

High Grade ja nai

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

TaurusOxford posted:

Now teach him to pose it properly. :v:

Give him a break he just finished putting it together. This is how he decided to pose it so it could "play with daddy's gundams on the shelf".

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 21, 2022

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That's actually pretty drat good for a six-year old. You taught him well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Love that Char Kick, too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They've been doing special releases of RG evas with extra gear. The Unit 01 with the dock, the unit 00 with the big gun, the Unit 03 with the shield.

I really hope they do that with Unit 02 and we get a RG kit of this

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Gripweed posted:

They've been doing special releases of RG evas with extra gear. The Unit 01 with the dock, the unit 00 with the big gun, the Unit 03 with the shield.

I really hope they do that with Unit 02 and we get a RG kit of this

That would be so batshit, now I also really hope those bastards actually do it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The bae is done!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They make a lot for the one good Eva design, Jet Alone, yet?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve finished building my RG EVA-01. I’m going to put the decals on before I do the transport platform.

Two mistakes: I pulled off a knuckle from a ridge while scraping down a nub with my hobby knife. It’s not a big deal, it still seems to fit snugly in the hand with the rest of the piece.

The other is with a horn. There are two options: A solid purple piece with a sticker for the green stripes, and a piece with the green stripe molded on. I wanted to use the piece without the sticker, but the horn broke in half after I set it down. Just under the upper green stripe. I didn’t notice until I went to pick it up later. I don’t think I was rough with it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

They make a lot for the one good Eva design, Jet Alone, yet?

Sort of! One of the Eva Frame candy toy kits is of the Asuka upgrade in Shin that's a combination of 02 and a Jet Alone model. Original Jet Alone, though, not much.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a TV Jet Alone kit wouldn't be able to stand unassisted

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

yeah i wouldn't get too excited; the RG eva line so far has been exclusively based on the rebuild movies, which include neither Jet Alone nor the eva 02 lava diver suit. that, combined with the fact that RG eva 03 didnt even come with its signature extendo arms makes me think theyre probably just going to re-print the same body over and over with different heads and color schemes and call it a day. the only weird one so far has been eva 04 which is still just a silver reprint of 03 but they included the clear shield which i think was designed specifically for the 90s kotobukiya figures? still not breaking the mold much there though

it brings me no joy to rain on a parade though. i would throw my money at jet alone and lava diver in a heartbeat. who knows; RG gaogaigar is enough out of left field that maybe they'll change their mind and appeal to us 30-/40- somethings who grew up with TV eva after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JoeGlassJAw posted:

yeah i wouldn't get too excited; the RG eva line so far has been exclusively based on the rebuild movies, which include neither Jet Alone nor the eva 02 lava diver suit. that, combined with the fact that RG eva 03 didnt even come with its signature extendo arms makes me think theyre probably just going to re-print the same body over and over with different heads and color schemes and call it a day. the only weird one so far has been eva 04 which is still just a silver reprint of 03 but they included the clear shield which i think was designed specifically for the 90s kotobukiya figures? still not breaking the mold much there though

it brings me no joy to rain on a parade though. i would throw my money at jet alone and lava diver in a heartbeat. who knows; RG gaogaigar is enough out of left field that maybe they'll change their mind and appeal to us 30-/40- somethings who grew up with TV eva after all

I'm surprised the RG of Unit 02 didn't have at least a deluxe version with the flight equipment from the second film.