Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah I've done all the suggested troublshooting and optimizing steps, I'm down to "run the game without any mods but SS2" or not running SS2 at all, or just doing the thing with carefully approaching settlements :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Decided to give SS2 another shot and actually drastically cut down my mod list this time and wow it actually functions correctly now. No more horrible bugs and massive amount of lag in every single interaction. I had made it decently far into chapter 2 before deciding to do things right and start over without a gajillion mods I don't really need and was enjoying it but annoyed at the issues. Look forward to progressing again with it actually running right this time.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

if you're not playing fallout 4 with extreme unpredictable lag and the absolute maximum amount of mods and plug-ins the engine can feasibly support while still technically being playable are you even playing fallout 4

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SS2/Workshop Framework mod options has a couple of new ones called "Auto repair/destroy power grid" that you should probably turn on, it attacks the problem that sometimes creates hosed up multiple power grids and causes some of the crashes you see when approaching settlements. Hard to say for sure but my game seems quite a lot more stable since I enabled these.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mandrel posted:

if you're not playing fallout 4 with extreme unpredictable lag and the absolute maximum amount of mods and plug-ins the engine can feasibly support while still technically being playable are you even playing fallout 4

This is the law of any and all Bethesda games. Forever.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Friend recently went looking at modlists for fallout4, is there a wabbajack pack that is rated higher then the rest? believe he tried to download either magnus or enhanced edition and it failed to install on the final mod.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've been trying the Life in the Ruins modlist and it seems pretty good. More survival based though. If they are having issues installing then tell them to join the discords. Super easy to get support that way.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Friend recently went looking at modlists for fallout4, is there a wabbajack pack that is rated higher then the rest? believe he tried to download either magnus or enhanced edition and it failed to install on the final mod.

Magnum Opus is extremely good, which I am slightly biased about since I collaborated on the perk overhaul and it includes a mod I made. Enhanced Edition is built for survival and MO is very much not, so that could also influence things. If you post which mod they're missing I can try to help.

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

As far as I can tell there's no rating system for modlists. All of the FO4 playlists do different things so it's hard to put a definitive ranking on them.

Wabbajack is generally pretty responsive with just rerunning the list to pick up where you left off. If it's a really huge file the readme might have a direct download link to the mod.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I could help trouble shoot that for him if he wanted or he join Lively's discord for support.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I installed Unbogus along with a couple of other minor mods that shouldn't conflict with it, as far as I know. I also installed the Fallout Script Extender, after I installed the mods with vortex. Not sure if that matters. Vortex says everything is fine with no conflicts, but my game randomly crashes every couple of minutes. Any idea where to start? I don't think I installed the unofficial patch, I probably should and try I guess, but any other ideas? Some mods I installed was the improved map mods, vivid landscapes, full dialogue, lowered weapons, scrap everything, and a couple of the others that Unbogus required.

Other than installing the unofficial patch, any ideas where to start looking as far as disabling? Does it matter that I installed these mods with Vortex before installing the script extender?

e: The unofficial patch didn't help. I've tried launching from the script extender file, as well as launching from the normal game, and the same thing happens each time.

Dunno if relevant, but for some reason my character jumps pretty high and has a slight pause at the top of the jump. I don't remember it feeling like that in the base game. Not sure if it's a bug, or an intended effect of one of the mods.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 16, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My friend went with Magnum Opus, right away he could tell it was a good modpack because at character creation it had so many butt sliders and nipple sliders they couldn't fit on the screen without scrolling way down.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, I installed Unbogus along with a couple of other minor mods that shouldn't conflict with it, as far as I know. I also installed the Fallout Script Extender, after I installed the mods with vortex. Not sure if that matters. Vortex says everything is fine with no conflicts, but my game randomly crashes every couple of minutes. Any idea where to start? I don't think I installed the unofficial patch, I probably should and try I guess, but any other ideas? Some mods I installed was the improved map mods, vivid landscapes, full dialogue, lowered weapons, scrap everything, and a couple of the others that Unbogus required.

Other than installing the unofficial patch, any ideas where to start looking as far as disabling? Does it matter that I installed these mods with Vortex before installing the script extender?

e: The unofficial patch didn't help. I've tried launching from the script extender file, as well as launching from the normal game, and the same thing happens each time.

Dunno if relevant, but for some reason my character jumps pretty high and has a slight pause at the top of the jump. I don't remember it feeling like that in the base game. Not sure if it's a bug, or an intended effect of one of the mods.

Just scrap it all and start over with Mod Organizer and installing a couple mods at a time, IMO. Adding a bunch of mods right out the gate is asking for trouble.

Also yes you’ll almost certainly need to install the unofficial patch before most other mods.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wiltsghost posted:

I've been trying the Life in the Ruins modlist and it seems pretty good. More survival based though. If they are having issues installing then tell them to join the discords. Super easy to get support that way.

I just started this and it is indeed pretty great.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Fallout 4 Capital Wasteland Point Lookout DLC has released

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Is Amazing Follower Tweaks still a good follower manager mod? It seems to be the best regarded but its been a while since its been updated.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

As someone who just came back to Fallout 4 and doesn't know modlist poo poo, where do I get them/wabbajack?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

As someone who just came back to Fallout 4 and doesn't know modlist poo poo, where do I get them/wabbajack?

Yeah. I've tried all but the enhanced edition one and they are all pretty good.

https://www.wabbajack.org/#/modlists/gallery

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

Yeah. I've tried all but the enhanced edition one and they are all pretty good.

https://www.wabbajack.org/#/modlists/gallery

Cheers mate.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

One immediate advantage to a giant modpack like this I hadnt considered is I dont know what's in here. Like if I download a cool housing or quest mod. I kind of know generally what/where the stuff in it is. This? All a mystery. Except for the mods I've already used I guess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just finished up the Vault 81 stuff for the first time. Much better more nuanced writing than I generally expect from Bethesda these days, even if the mole rats permanently reducing your HP is bullshit.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Weren't those fuckers bugged so that even if a companion was hit, you'd still lose that health?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

since you keep getting HP as you level it really doesn't matter at all, my character has almost 1600 hit points lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

since you keep getting HP as you level it really doesn't matter at all, my character has almost 1600 hit points lol

Christ

At like level 55 with 4 End I'm at 388.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

Weren't those fuckers bugged so that even if a companion was hit, you'd still lose that health?

Yeah

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Arivia posted:

Christ

At like level 55 with 4 End I'm at 388.

increasing end raises your HP retroactively, so :shrug:
e: this is a really big problem with difficulty like most Bethesda games, it's not so obvious with F4 because when you start out on Survival and practically every enemy can kill you in 1-2 hits, but as you keep gaining HP they don't keep gaining damage (unless you add mods for that, and you should)

The big consolidated weapon overhaul by The6thMessenger does a pretty good job of addressing this for gun-users because all guns have a much higher top end for damage and they are just added to the loot tables like everything else, so even though I have that much health I still run into super mutants or raiders who can mess me up easily, and by the same token you don't have to put up with massive bullet sponge enemies invalidating 95% of all equipment.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/55924

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 19, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

increasing end raises your HP retroactively, so :shrug:

Yo wait what the gently caress :psyduck:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

almost certain this is the case, I'll check a little bit
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Endurance#Fallout_4

e: yeah, +1 end gives me over 100 hitpoints per point, at level 151, it's pretty stupid :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 19, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How the hell are you at level 151, you must have run out of content like 60 levels ago at most

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Honestly in a modded Fallout 4, I'd be happier if they just removed leveling all together. Like let me make my end game build, and be balanced around that. The sense of progression should come from gear and gear mods, I don't really care about leveling in most RPGs to be honest, and I feel like there area lot of games that are held back by levels. The only games that I feel like do it really well are the Souls games, and a large part of that is the static difficulty of the monsters, and easily grindable spots to progress.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I started with a bunch of levels because, well, redoing the start for the literal 50th time at crawl speed and lacking the super useful poo poo like Stealth 4 (stop blowing up on mines, even if not sneaking) or Strong Back so I don't have to micromanage weight and inventory as much... gets tiresome

but yeah if you just wander around doing side quests and like, wandering around in the Glowing Sea for fun, you tend to pile up a lot of xp :shrug: usually I run with a 1/2 xp mod starting from level 1 and still end up in my 50s before I feel like touching the DLC maps

Boba Pearl posted:

Honestly in a modded Fallout 4, I'd be happier if they just removed leveling all together. Like let me make my end game build, and be balanced around that. The sense of progression should come from gear and gear mods, I don't really care about leveling in most RPGs to be honest, and I feel like there area lot of games that are held back by levels. The only games that I feel like do it really well are the Souls games, and a large part of that is the static difficulty of the monsters, and easily grindable spots to progress.

I wouldn't mind this, even in the vanilla game the leveling system is very stupid and unless you mod the hell out of everything then it stops making sense for you to care about almost any of the content because you can just negligently point a gun (or a bat, or a hammer, or a knife, or whatever) in stuff's direction and it explodes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

It's funny because I feel the exact opposite way, at level 55 there's still like 30 more levels of perks I really want and am still making hard choices between but the gear progression feels extremely shallow (outside of hoping for better legendaries). I'm using Welcome to Paradise as a modpack and I'm a Railroad stealthy sniper type.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you max out your int and try to keep it as high as possible it makes a very big difference, also the Idiot Savant perk is just bunch of bonus xp if you don't find it too silly
re: gear progression, seriously check out that weapon overhaul, and consider an ammo crafting mod unless you really enjoy the scarcity style

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

if you max out your int and try to keep it as high as possible it makes a very big difference, also the Idiot Savant perk is just bunch of bonus xp if you don't find it too silly
re: gear progression, seriously check out that weapon overhaul, and consider an ammo crafting mod unless you really enjoy the scarcity style

yeah i'm at int 9 and i guess i could swap out my perception trench coat for a lab coat to go up to 11

i do find idiot savant silly though yes

my run is going fine, it's just interesting how with more vanilla mechanics i'm having the opposite from you two

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

I just finished up the Vault 81 stuff for the first time. Much better more nuanced writing than I generally expect from Bethesda these days, even if the mole rats permanently reducing your HP is bullshit.

Tell the doctor to give the cure to the kid then immediately open your inventory and use the cure on yourself. You both get cured.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah, one of the reasons I ultimately like STALKER more than FO3/NV/4, even though I do really like the Fallout games, is that it hits that ideal progression mode of not having levels, just gear which improves over time as you find/buy better stuff and supplement it with artifacts that give you weird unique effects. My ideal overhaul mod for FO4 is something that does something similar - something that just gets rid of all raw level-based scaling from the world and makes stat/skill selection more impactful, and then distributes loot based on the area rather than the player's level. It would probably take a shitload of work to make that kind of mod though, and it would probably be very difficult to make it compatible with other mods. I remember feeling like Horizon approached something like this, but it's been a while since it's been updated so I'm not sure what the status of it is now (it's been a while since I played with it). It also had a bunch of other changes I wasn't as big on but I guess any big overhaul is probably going to be like that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Arivia posted:

yeah i'm at int 9 and i guess i could swap out my perception trench coat for a lab coat to go up to 11

i do find idiot savant silly though yes

my run is going fine, it's just interesting how with more vanilla mechanics i'm having the opposite from you two

Me being higher level isn't really associated with mods, I just *really* do a lot of wandering around killing stuff. I don't have any mods that really do anything to XP, nothing that changes enemy level or anything like that. I also make it a point to craft up all the high end meat drops, that's a lot of xp.
e: I mean yeah this character started with a bunch of levels but generally I start at 1 and still find the leveling too fast and use a 1/2 xp mod

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 19, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Finished the main quest. It feels good to have resolved things between the main character and Shaun and now have new kid Shaun. For once, I want to keep playing, I still have a lot of stuff to do with Curie, magazines to collect, some quests to do, and I think I am gonna give Far Harbour a go and take Nick along with me. Plenty of perks I still want at level 60.

edit: for the purposes of this thread, I did it with the Welcome to Paradise modpack. It was a pretty great vanilla+ experience the whole way through with some bugs and little tweaks I made along the way. The biggest change is that you can no longer wear ballistic weave clothing and armor at the same time, which works out fine from a damage/armour perspective. The downside is that as part of this the list of stuff you can apply ballistic weave to has been reduced a fair bit, you're left with stuff like lab coats, +Charisma suits and dresses, and some odds and ends like trench coats and the greaser outfit. I wish you could apply ballistic weave to any piece of clothing - it not stacking is fine, I just wish I could've used military fatigues, for example.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 20, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the top end perception perks make you an aimbot wallhacker it's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: ballistic weave you can get that by using the combination of Armorsmith Extended/AWKCR because one of the core things it does is standardize all that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6091
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2228

e: may not be safe to add this post-start, so consider it for next playthrough I guess, but I think it can be layered on top of most mod content and at worst 3rd party stuff just won't make use of it. I have some mod added armor/clothing pieces that don't use it but they do still work at least :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 22, 2022