Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A comic’s material is their livelihood, if they don’t want people posting their material to YouTube or Instagram I don’t see a problem with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Bust Rodd posted:

A comic’s material is their livelihood, if they don’t want people posting their material to YouTube or Instagram I don’t see a problem with that.

Yeah that’s not why they don’t allow phones at their shows. It’s because they’re afraid of being the next Michael Richards.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The sequestering phone thing started when comics were workshopping material at small clubs when preparing for a special. In that case it makes sense that the comic does not want the lovely version of a joke leaking early.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Gripweed posted:

Yeah that’s not why they don’t allow phones at their shows. It’s because they’re afraid of being the next Michael Richards.

It’s this. Nobody is going to be pissed off if a special has a joke they already heard from someone’s terrible phone recording.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense you guys, it’s really working out for guys like Chappelle and Louis CK, no one is mad at them!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Im sure this recent episode is good, just like the last complained about episode was good.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I liked it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NienNunb posted:

Im sure this recent episode is good, just like the last complained about episode was good.

It was pretty fun. They need to have more cranks on.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Tim was a fun guest. I hope he makes another appearance after his tour.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Comics can’t legally sell material that has already been published online, even if it wasn’t posted by them. So if someone records and posts a clip of a comedian’s joke, they can’t do it in their next Netflix special.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I remember Chappelle’s comeback in 2012ish bringing about that rule. I went to his first show at First Ave and yeah, no phone stuff. Kicked out if you brought it out. I actually still have the cigarette butt from Chappelle that a security guard gave me after he got off stage.

My late friend managed to sneak into one of those shows and record it on a personal voice recorder. He never allowed me to make a copy before he passed, sadly.

Chappelle really is Tracy Jordan talking about St. Bart’s these days.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense you guys, it’s really working out for guys like Chappelle and Louis CK, no one is mad at them!

They'd probably be in worse shape if there were clips that people could spam on Twitter. As it is it's just another vague Chappelle story that'll fade in a day or two.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

You don't think it'd be worse if the actual audio of the lovely joke was constantly being spammed everywhere? Are you stupid?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Are you stupid?

Bust Rodd

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You don't think it'd be worse if the actual audio of the lovely joke was constantly being spammed everywhere? Are you stupid?

He literally has Netflix specials full of his transphobic material and clips of everything he said went viral…how exactly would a cell phone video do anything at all to move the needle?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“This will be the smoking gun that finally exposes Dave Chappelle!” like lmfao get real

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dave chappelle is cool

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

emo-ignorance posted:

Comics can’t legally sell material that has already been published online, even if it wasn’t posted by them. So if someone records and posts a clip of a comedian’s joke, they can’t do it in their next Netflix special.

That's, uhh...

extremely not true.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Is it still ok to like Half Baked?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Is it still ok to like Half Baked?

Yes. They kill a cop in that movie so it evens out

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Gripweed posted:

That's, uhh...

extremely not true.

nothing gets past this guy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/handsinthepool/status/1517885757569986560

Lol Dave stole a Nick Mullen bit.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

i love these people lmao

https://twitter.com/patelfield/status/1528151776683171840?s=21&t=QL1-h1k7yEDQOM1_XtKvbA

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

how can you even log on without having heard a peanut butter/dog joke

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

so glad I didn’t inherit the tattletale gene.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

yall

https://twitter.com/patelfield/status/1527428880549568512?s=21&t=AM_pj02azX0igmeFdgFhGQ

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Can’t believe Chapo had Dave Chappelle on :(

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ if these people consider some guy telling a bunch of terrible unfunny jokes to be assault I hope they never try to actually exist in society

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

some plague rats posted:

jesus christ if these people consider some guy telling a bunch of terrible unfunny jokes to be assault I hope they never try to actually exist in society

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

sexpig by night posted:

I loved that this was his answer to 'what do you say to black voters who aren't 100% on if they can trust you'. Like even if you remove the insane 'elderly segregationist tells black people they're not black if they don't vote for him' element you still have 'he literally couldn't comprehend that maybe they just won't vote at all', it clearly had to be either him or trump.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
My favorite bit was the Chapo observation that the "You Ain't Black" bit covered up the crazier part. That he got so flustered that he almost promised to drastically expand housing assistance and expand assistance for people who'd just gotten out of prison, and they had to send a handler in to drag him away before he finished the blurry thought that they'd have to walk back. I think they're the only people I saw mention it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Last Week Tonight is trying pretty hard to roast Biden whenever it gets a chance, and the footage it has of him from the 80s and 90s in the Senate are all INSANE, he just marches up to the mic with big dick energy like “I’m the crime bill guy, I’m the crack bill guy, I put these motherfuckers in CAGES, IDGAF” and it really highlights both how long Biden was just openly racist on the senate floor but also how hosed up it is that out of everyone, Biden was Obama’s pick for VP. Obama grew up watching Biden lock his own people up and was like “yeah, I want that guy”

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Last Week Tonight is trying pretty hard to roast Biden whenever it gets a chance, and the footage it has of him from the 80s and 90s in the Senate are all INSANE, he just marches up to the mic with big dick energy like “I’m the crime bill guy, I’m the crack bill guy, I put these motherfuckers in CAGES, IDGAF” and it really highlights both how long Biden was just openly racist on the senate floor but also how hosed up it is that out of everyone, Biden was Obama’s pick for VP. Obama grew up watching Biden lock his own people up and was like “yeah, I want that guy”

his own people, do you mean ivy leaguers?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought Obama was poor before he went to school, his book made it seem like he didn’t have any money growing up, but I’m not an Obama historian so I could be off base there

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought Obama was poor before he went to school, his book made it seem like he didn’t have any money growing up, but I’m not an Obama historian so I could be off base there

his parents were both very respected academics and his mother who he grew up with was upper middle class, he was always a suburban kid. Like I'm not gonna pretend being a black kid at that time was awesome but yea he was never some poor dude who'd be the victim of Biden's policies.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I had heard he picked Biden as VP as a flex that he could win even chained to a moron like him but idk if that's true.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nah it was entirely a sop to the 'traditional' (old white segregationists) part of the party to show he's not serious about his lofty rhetoric about equality and all. Basically 'look I know I'm a cool young black guy saying maybe we should redistribute wealth in my speeches but I'm picking the guy who 100% still calls me 'boy' off camera so you know I'm full of poo poo'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Remember the beer summit lmao, Obungler never cared about well-off black people let alone the poor schmucks Biden was bragging about locking up, Adolph reed was correct in his appraisal of him from the jump

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/391721897685041152?s=20&t=CeRnJ7hAGVoClezqy6l71w