Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, watching your carbon rim flex slightly as you eke the tire over it is disconcerting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
California goons: Tioga Pass Rd will be open to cyclists May 21-22. I rode it last year and it was a blast. About 45 miles each way with a total of 8,500 ft of gain. Trying to decide if I can squeeze in a vacation day on Monday.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BIKE COMPUTERS: I don't need a ton of features/color/etc.

All I care about is uploading rides to Strava and integration with Di2 and Garmin Varia. Routes are great, but it was such a process with my garmin 230 that I didn't bother with it too much. The new climbing feature which shows you current grade of a climb seems cool, but I think with all these computers you have to be on a programmed route to use that feature, right?

I'm kinda leaning towards Wahoo just because it seems like their phone app integration works better than using buttons for everything on the Garmin.

Thinking about Garmin 130, 130 plus (I don't think I need the plus since I wouldn't use any of the accelerometer functions since I'm not mountain biking), Wahoo Bolt v1 (there's some on amazon at least for $200).

I'm not hooking up a power meter-it'd only be HR monitor, varia, di2, and maybe a cadence sensor. I've got a garmin watch so I'm in the garmin ecosystem already, but since everything uploads to Strava anyways, I really don't care about staying in a particular ecosystem.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

BIKE COMPUTERS: I don't need a ton of features/color/etc.

All I care about is uploading rides to Strava and integration with Di2 and Garmin Varia. Routes are great, but it was such a process with my garmin 230 that I didn't bother with it too much. The new climbing feature which shows you current grade of a climb seems cool, but I think with all these computers you have to be on a programmed route to use that feature, right?

I'm kinda leaning towards Wahoo just because it seems like their phone app integration works better than using buttons for everything on the Garmin.

Thinking about Garmin 130, 130 plus (I don't think I need the plus since I wouldn't use any of the accelerometer functions since I'm not mountain biking), Wahoo Bolt v1 (there's some on amazon at least for $200).

I'm not hooking up a power meter-it'd only be HR monitor, varia, di2, and maybe a cadence sensor. I've got a garmin watch so I'm in the garmin ecosystem already, but since everything uploads to Strava anyways, I really don't care about staying in a particular ecosystem.

Get a Garmin. App based data field setup is a one-time thing and it really shouldn't be tops on your list of reasons to buy a cycling computer. Wahoo's honestly got a long track record of making lovely hardware at this point (KICKR18, KICKR Climb, Element Bolt radio, TICKR straps, Bolt v2 fake USB Type-C PD port, etc.)

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 22, 2022

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TobinHatesYou posted:

Get a Garmin. App based data field setup is a one-time thing and it really shouldn't be tops on your list of reasons to buy a cycling computer. Wahoo's honestly got a long track record of making lovely hardware at this point (KICKR18, KICKR Climb, Element Bolt radio, TICKR straps, Bolt v2 fake USB Type-C PD port, etc.)

Thanks. It looks like the 130 or 130 plus doesn’t actually allow di2 connection, but it doesn’t seem like I’m missing much…from garmins site:

quote:

What Are the Benefits of Pairing a Garmin Device With a Di2 System?

View the battery life of the Di2 system using the Di2 Battery Data field.

View front and rear gear data.

Export ride data to third-party sites that analyze gear shift data.

Edge devices can be configured to control certain functions using the hood buttons embedded into some Dura-Ace Control Levers. For more details, see Related below.

The only beneficial thing I see in that list is checking battery life but I think I can just do that with the shimano app?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Fwiw, I've had next to zero issues with my 1st gen elemnt bolt, tickr, and kickr core.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

Fwiw, I've had next to zero issues with my 1st gen elemnt bolt, tickr, and kickr core.

But you're aware of the very common woodruff key issue with the KICKR18 (and some Cores, and the KICKRv5), the button snap issue with the TICKR sensor as a clasp design, the snapping belts on the CLIMB, etc? Right?

e: Also no joke, the Bolt v2 can't be charged from a real USB Type-C cable and most Type-C wall-warts/host device ports.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 22, 2022

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

TobinHatesYou posted:

e: Also no joke, the Bolt v2 can't be charged from a real USB Type-C cable and most Type-C wall-warts/host device ports.

I labeled the joke cable that came with my bolt v2 because it happens to be the only cable that will charge it, and I don't want to accidentally throw it out. Love it otherwise, but they really dropped the ball on this one.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

TobinHatesYou posted:

But you're aware of the very common woodruff key issue with the KICKR18 (and some Cores, and the KICKRv5), the button snap issue with the TICKR sensor as a clasp design, the snapping belts on the CLIMB, etc? Right?

Hey man, whenever they send me a new Wahoo Kickr bike, I feel satisfied that I'm helping solve their hardware issues (over time!)

Fake Edit: Its only been once

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

sweat poteto posted:

I labeled the joke cable that came with my bolt v2 because it happens to be the only cable that will charge it, and I don't want to accidentally throw it out. Love it otherwise, but they really dropped the ball on this one.

And all because they didn't want to spend a couple of cents on a single resistor.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

nwin posted:

Thanks. It looks like the 130 or 130 plus doesn’t actually allow di2 connection, but it doesn’t seem like I’m missing much…from garmins site:

The only beneficial thing I see in that list is checking battery life but I think I can just do that with the shimano app?

I use the gear stuff more than battery.

And I’d recommend a 530.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vikingstrike posted:

And I’d recommend a 530.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
not having great luck with tickr and now a tickr x

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

vikingstrike posted:

And I’d recommend a 530.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The gear display owns imo

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I had a Garmin 130+ and I hated it. Went to a Wahoo Elemnt Roam and it's been great, no issues, works seamlessly with my Varia and Strava/Komoot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nwin posted:

Being able to flick between pages of the Garmin from the hoods is the best feature there. Map to data and back again while never moving your hands.

Also the good thing about the battery is that it gives you a notification while you're riding along if the battery gets low, meaning you never actually have to remember to check it. Not having to remember to do something is one of life's best luxuries.

vvv :hmmyes:

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 22, 2022

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
my 530 owns now that im no longer on 9.30

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I like the stuff garmin does and their hardware seems better and all but god I still hate their UI, it feels completely un-intuitive and confusing every time I try to help my wife set something up or figure something out on her 530

Still might get a Garmin if they end up rolling out some new versions of the 530 style, but my old Wahoo Bolt is chugging along fine for the time being

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

nwin posted:

I had a 130plus and I was able to download one of the Garmin ConnectIQ apps to get gear display, but it was suboptimal. The monochrome button interface also drove me bonkers so I just sucked it up and got an 830.

The 530/830 are wonderful with respect to data you can pop on the screen. I have been leading group rides and make frequent use of courses and the map. I don’t think the 530 does on the fly route mapping which is why I ended up with the 830.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

osker posted:

I had a 130plus and I was able to download one of the Garmin ConnectIQ apps to get gear display, but it was suboptimal. The monochrome button interface also drove me bonkers so I just sucked it up and got an 830.

The 530/830 are wonderful with respect to data you can pop on the screen. I have been leading group rides and make frequent use of courses and the map. I don’t think the 530 does on the fly route mapping which is why I ended up with the 830.

Yeah, govx had the 530 for $240 shipped so I went with that. Thanks!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

vikingstrike posted:

And I’d recommend a 530.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bottle cage recommendations?

Supacaz has these but lol at $45 each

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

£7.30 61%OFF | ODI Ultra-light aluminum alloy bottle cage bicycle bottle holder, cup holder riding equipment Road and mountain bike accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtK4nXg

If you don't mind a bit of a wait

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

white lucky cat cages from pdw, though they are also silly expensive at $28

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I recently installed new bottle cages and am quite happy with my lezyne team cages (I think that's what they're called). Not as flashy as those supacaz ones though

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Skarsnik posted:

£7.30 61%OFF | ODI Ultra-light aluminum alloy bottle cage bicycle bottle holder, cup holder riding equipment Road and mountain bike accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtK4nXg

If you don't mind a bit of a wait

Nice-thanks!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I’m buying up the entire NOS supply of Bontrager Bat Cages as they surface on eBay. I like their look and security.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Can’t do better than King Cage imo. I’m partial to the Iris:

https://kingcage.com/collections/all-products/products/iris-king-cage

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

Bottle cage recommendations?

Supacaz has these but lol at $45 each

For me there’s only one answer: Arundel Mandibles.

Basically everything else will eject bottles in “local” races, especially the larger ones.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

For me there’s only one answer: Arundel Mandibles.

Basically everything else will eject bottles in “local” races, especially the larger ones.

Tacx Deva is also a good choice, it’s super tight. Never had any eject on even the gnarliest CX or gravel.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

sweat poteto posted:

that’s weird I think I’ve never even used the cable that came with it, just plugged it on a random Ikea charger cable and it worked. I’m not 100% sure if i tried any other usb c cables but I haven’t encountered any issues, will check that tomorrow.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Zwille posted:

that’s weird I think I’ve never even used the cable that came with it, just plugged it on a random Ikea charger cable and it worked. I’m not 100% sure if i tried any other usb c cables but I haven’t encountered any issues, will check that tomorrow.

If it's a type-A to type-C cable it will probably work. The main issue is with C-C cables and Type-C chargers/host ports.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Really impressive how they managed to make usb cables more complicated than they ever needed to

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Since i use my element bolt on two bikes with two different power meters...if i switched bikes and forgot to recalibrate my bolt for the other bike's power meter at the start of my ride...if i recalibrate near the end will it apply to the entire ride or just from the point i recalibrated it?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BraveUlysses posted:

Since i use my element bolt on two bikes with two different power meters...if i switched bikes and forgot to recalibrate my bolt for the other bike's power meter at the start of my ride...if i recalibrate near the end will it apply to the entire ride or just from the point i recalibrated it?

You Bolt doesn't store any zero-offset information, it just sends the power meter a command to zero. If you zero your PM in the middle of your ride, power data from that moment on will use the latest offset.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Cheap Chinese carbon wheelset (QR) on Amazon if anyone wants to take a chance, they seem to get OK reviews. Only the white decal version is $250 though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Wifi Toilet posted:

Cheap Chinese carbon wheelset (QR) on Amazon if anyone wants to take a chance, they seem to get OK reviews. Only the white decal version is $250 though.

No.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TobinHatesYou posted:

You Bolt doesn't store any zero-offset information, it just sends the power meter a command to zero. If you zero your PM in the middle of your ride, power data from that moment on will use the latest offset.

drat. oh well, lesson learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Lol, but the Superteam logo looks like the Supreme logo! I'll post a follow-up after I die.