Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I played yesterday but I think I'm going to start a new solo server to make it less grindy, what settings are worth changing? I know I should have teleport with inventory ticked on.

my setup has teleporting with resources enabled, increased stack size to compensate for no friends to haul loot with, servant hunt rewards increased to compensate for the fact that you will basically never be able to finish the longer hunts since the timer freezes when you stop playing on your solo server and you have to use the shorter hunts which are risky, and thats about it. it's still technically the same amount of grind but needing to do less trips back home and being able to teleport with your haul will save a significant amount of time

just be warned, don't increase the refinement rate speed modifier, there's a bug where your castle essence drains faster based on that value instead of the castle essence drain modifier value its supposed to use which does nothing currently.

also you can edit your server settings without needing to start over, its the ServerGameSettings.json file in your save folder inside of "C:\Users\WINDOWSUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Stunlock Studios\VRising\Saves\v1"

you might need to make a new save file with your settings to copy over because the .json file seems to exclude values you haven't changed from default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

CuddleCryptid posted:

If folks are playing subnautica with fears of deep waters I'd make a warning that is a spoiler for later areas

the area you are in is a circular shallow crater of a dormant volcano. once you get to the so called "crater's edge" it opens into the real ocean and it is truly a cliff that drops down 4000 meters into the abyss. so uh yeah be prepared for finding the edge and looking over it into the void.

your PDA will warn you to stay away through, so don't feel the need to explore it because you'll just find death.

I literally felt a wave of dread just reading this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is V-Rising better played with mouse/keyboard or controller?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is V-Rising better played with mouse/keyboard or controller?

There is currently no controller support. I wish there was.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Bee-beep
Oxygen

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have learned an important lesson about chopping down trees during the day.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

my setup has teleporting with resources enabled, increased stack size to compensate for no friends to haul loot with, servant hunt rewards increased to compensate for the fact that you will basically never be able to finish the longer hunts since the timer freezes when you stop playing on your solo server and you have to use the shorter hunts which are risky, and thats about it. it's still technically the same amount of grind but needing to do less trips back home and being able to teleport with your haul will save a significant amount of time

just be warned, don't increase the refinement rate speed modifier, there's a bug where your castle essence drains faster based on that value instead of the castle essence drain modifier value its supposed to use which does nothing currently.

also you can edit your server settings without needing to start over, its the ServerGameSettings.json file in your save folder inside of "C:\Users\WINDOWSUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Stunlock Studios\VRising\Saves\v1"

you might need to make a new save file with your settings to copy over because the .json file seems to exclude values you haven't changed from default

I can't see many settings in the .json file, can't see how to turn on the item teleport for example

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CuddleCryptid posted:

If folks are playing subnautica with fears of deep waters I'd make a warning that is a spoiler for later areas

the area you are in is a circular shallow crater of a dormant volcano. once you get to the so called "crater's edge" it opens into the real ocean and it is truly a cliff that drops down 4000 meters into the abyss. so uh yeah be prepared for finding the edge and looking over it into the void.

your PDA will warn you to stay away through, so don't feel the need to explore it because you'll just find death.

This part of the game pissed me off to no end because the warning wasn't (or wasn't just) "edge of the crater", it warned you entering the late-game heavy leviathan area and made me think I shouldn't go there for hours, despite there being cyclops upgrades in it

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

I can't see many settings in the .json file, can't see how to turn on the item teleport for example

The easiest way is to make a new game world with your desired settings. Then copy and paste the game settings.json file from the new world folder into your existing world folder. It’s not ideal but it works.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

The Lone Badger posted:

:piss:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The Lone Badger posted:

not sure if killing yourself via a falling log in valheim or killing yourself by removing your only source of shade during the day is more embarrassing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This part of the game pissed me off to no end because the warning wasn't (or wasn't just) "edge of the crater", it warned you entering the late-game heavy leviathan area and made me think I shouldn't go there for hours, despite there being cyclops upgrades in it

There shouldn't be any upgrades in that area at all, there isn't supposed to be anything there except the Ghost Leviathans. The PDA says as much where it says something similar to "this is an ecological dead zone with only kelp and leviathans, turn around bro"

There are areas on the inward side of the edge that are deep and a lot of stuff is there but the true crater's edge is just a wall around the plat area.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 22, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

CuddleCryptid posted:

There shouldn't be any upgrades in that area at all, there isn't supposed to be anything there except the Ghost Leviathans. The PDA says as much where it says something similar to "this is an ecological dead zone with only kelp and leviathans, turn around bro"

There are areas on the inward side of the edge that are deep and a lot of stuff is there but the true crater's edge is just a wall around the plat area.

Well people tend to merge two things together, because of how the game audio words it.
There are areas with Reaper Leviathans with wrecks/upgrades in them that the pda warns you about, it is the same warning that it gives when you stray too far past the games boundries where the Ghost Leviathans are.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OgNar posted:

There are areas with Reaper Leviathans with wrecks/upgrades in them that the pda warns you about, it is the same warning that it gives when you stray too far past the games boundries where the Ghost Leviathans are.
It's definitely not the same warning. For the sparse area with wrecks and more-than-usual leviathans, the Dunes, you get:
Detecting multiple leviathan class lifeforms in the region. Are you certain whatever you're doing is worth it?
If you actually leave the crater, into the true nightmare instant death zone, you get:
Warning: Entering ecological dead zone. Adding report to databank.
Which I'd argue is actually less threatening!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
You guys talking about your phobias made me remember this clip I made. I dont have any phobias that I know of, but I was still loving terrified during this clip lol:

https://streamable.com/qvguxr

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

It's definitely not the same warning. For the sparse area with wrecks and more-than-usual leviathans, the Dunes, you get:
Detecting multiple leviathan class lifeforms in the region. Are you certain whatever you're doing is worth it?
If you actually leave the crater, into the true nightmare instant death zone, you get:
Warning: Entering ecological dead zone. Adding report to databank.
Which I'd argue is actually less threatening!

cause the real warning to stop messing around out there is when a ghost leviathan fuckin eats you

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Phigs posted:

I literally felt a wave of dread just reading this.

:same:

Flesh Forge posted:

it's really weird because it's completely irrational, like my brain knows this is just a space/flight sim with blue/green volumetrics and the sounds are just ordinary things like, a guy rubbing a piece of wet leather on a piece of plywood or something, and it doesn't help *AT ALL*

I've never played subnautica but I can relate in general, and I thought about it. I believe at least for me I'm okay with a flight sim because I know what's below me, if I crash so be it I know what's coming, and there's not really anything above me other then more sky. I'm okay with a space sim because there is no such thing as "below me", there's no huge drop offs or falling, and there's also no concern of how far below the surface I am because that's not a thing either.

In deep water, especially with big drop offs to extremely deep water, it combines my fear of heights (which is more the fear of falling, especially being precariously on a ledge with a drop off and falling, I can get in an airplane just fine), with having an unknowable amount of unseeable frightening possibilities below me, along with the knowledge that every bit of that is that much further from the relative safety of the surface, which with obscured vision from the water you also may lose sight of.

It's like a horrible combination of fears of falling, being on a ledge, not being able to be aware of your surroundings while in danger, and progressively being further away from anything resembling safety wrapped up into a near unfathomably enormous package.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So, playing Vintage Story again, and I used to run a mod/s that made it so that your basic tools required twine to craft and that dirt would drop in chunks instead of blocks, and there was a whole process to reclaiming dirt for use in farms and stuff that I really liked, and trees required more maintenance to grow (I enjoy masochistic tedium in games if you didn't guess), but I can't seem to find them again at all. Like, not even a hint or severely outdated/abandoned thread on the forums, it's enough that I'm questioning whether they were real at this point.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

it's really weird because it's completely irrational, like my brain knows this is just a space/flight sim with blue/green volumetrics and the sounds are just ordinary things like, a guy rubbing a piece of wet leather on a piece of plywood or something, and it doesn't help *AT ALL*

I will say though when I finally got my nice 3 story tall fish tank filled with cute fishes and kelp that was pretty cool :allears:

e: ah fuckin milkshake duck syndrome :rant:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-06-subnautica-developer-fired-over-many-hateful-statements

just the sound guy, mute the game and keep playing

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The Lone Badger posted:

also don't AFK unless you're in a building, preferably your castle.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

There are two JSON files, the server host settings and the game settings. The game settings file has most the tweakable game parameters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Antigravitas posted:

How did you deal with the loving bridge section in HL2?

e: Just to remind everyone, this Bridge of Abject Terror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luAMasM4leM

I stopped playing and never went back, IIRC, because gently caress that thing lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Understandable. At one point a train passes overhead and the entire thing shakes. Plus the wind noises. :shepface:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I played yesterday but I think I'm going to start a new solo server to make it less grindy, what settings are worth changing? I know I should have teleport with inventory ticked on.

I actually just hopped on a random server, so technically I am playing with others I guess, however, I have barely interacted with anyone and other than in the very beginning when I fought the Alpha Wolf I haven't had any help with any of the bosses and haven't really interacted with the other players much outside of just random chat. That said, I have no clue what the server settings are, since I didn't create it, but I definitely can't teleport with most resources, which is making relocating my base a HUGE pain in the rear end.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

also don't AFK unless you're in a building, preferably your castle.

For that lesson I was in my base, sheltering behind a palisade.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

TeaJay posted:

Subnautica is one of those games I wish I could experience the same kind of magic for the first time again. The exploration and the outworldly feel of the underwater is just so magical. The first time you dive into the big entrance of Lost river ... and being a dumbass on my first playthrough navigating the Cyclops all the way down to Lava zone past the big tree. Yes, it was really annoying.

I have a Lost River story.

So I play Subnautica pretty methodically; each zone gets it's own base to store resources and give me a solace from my primal fear of the deep. As it happens, I plunked one of those bases down at the mouth of a massive cave. Didn't know what was in it, but it seemed cool and was as good a spot as any. Get my usual set-up of moon pool, scanner room, various food/water productions, a nice bedroom with a view all arranged, all's good.

I'm at the end of the night but I just want to peek into this cave, so I decide to use the scanning room's little detachable globes rather than take the Seamoth or Cyclops in. It's getting deeper and deeper in and the image is getting more and more static-y, when all of a sudden this screaming face appears out of the fuzz, rushes the screen, and slides past with the rest of the body just going and going and going.

That's how I learned there's a Ghost Leviathan in the Lost River. I turned the game off and didn't sleep too well that night.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

HopperUK posted:

I stopped playing and never went back, IIRC, because gently caress that thing lol

looping this conversation back around to the start, i never finished the first half-life because the ichthyosaur section scared the gently caress out of me

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I successfully recruit Servants? I find someone with decent blood (takes a long time), knock down their health to critical, charm them, then they get one-shot on the way back to my base because they have critically low health.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Get on a horse, they'll keep up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When the hell do you get horses? I just charmed some scrub poacher who loitered 4 feet from my castle.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume a later blood target will unlock a 'stables' tech or something.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Set up a Vrising server for my friends and played the first hour. Combat really is better than your average ARPG; honestly this is what Blizzard needs to accomplish with D4 since they're making them more and more bombastic anyway.

But I wanted to ask, I get a roof at some point right? Right??

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Jack B Nimble posted:

Set up a Vrising server for my friends and played the first hour. Combat really is better than your average ARPG; honestly this is what Blizzard needs to accomplish with D4 since they're making them more and more bombastic anyway.

Yup. You will unlock castle walls that use stone bricks, enclose a room in stone walls with a floor and it will become a roofed room. You're going to need a shitload of stone bricks and planks, fair warning.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

SettingSun posted:

When the hell do you get horses? I just charmed some scrub poacher who loitered 4 feet from my castle.

I don’t think stables are something currently in the game. You can steal horses from farms or militia camps in the Dunley Farmlands or Silverlight Hills regions.

If you open up your inventory while on a horse, you can rename them and give them water so that they don’t die. My main complaint with horses in the game is that they use tank controls to move.

Edit: Horses being tank control is so terrible that I feel bad for anyone who is forced to use horses as their primary mode of transportation because the server they are playing on hasn’t disabled prevention of teleporting with items in their inventory.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 23, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ihatepants posted:

I don’t think stables are something currently in the game. You can steal horses from farms or militia camps in the Dunley Farmlands or Silverlight Hills regions.

If you open up your inventory while on a horse, you can rename them and give them water so that they don’t die. My main complaint with horses in the game is that they use tank controls to move.

Edit: Horses being tank control is so terrible that I feel bad for anyone who is forced to use horses as their primary mode of transportation because the server they are playing on hasn’t disabled prevention of teleporting with items in their inventory.

Horses are deliberately awkward to navigate through denser areas and forests because it gives a viable escape route against mounted players, they're really only useful on the roads (but boy they go fast)

Also if anyone has any leads on a good pvp server with no/limited sieges and ideally reduced durability loss let me know!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

In the meantime you can make a brazier and burn some bones in it to make some mist in your roofless castle.

My friends and I have also been playing a lot since the release. One person is already nearing the end and has a few more bosses to kill, I've played a lot but spent also a lot of time dying to random mobs and bosses and are probably somewhere in mid-game Upgraded Tier 2 weapons and armor - merciless iron etc. and General's reaper. It's been very fun and very brutal. Some encounters are absolutely tough as nails.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 23, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

does anyone know how high horse stats can get in each stat? I have one that seems pretty high in all three based on what I've seen so far and need to know if I can stop obsessively checking every horse and leaving it to die in 7 hours

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Man what a difference playing with even one other person makes in V Rising. We got more done in 3 hours than I did with 10 alone. Had way more books drop too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm now having to fight bosses significantly above my gear level and its not going well. Do I need to grind the previous bosses to get more books so I can get full Merciless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm now having to fight bosses significantly above my gear level and its not going well. Do I need to grind the previous bosses to get more books so I can get full Merciless?

Some recommend skipping ahead in progression a bit and steal a horse which affords a significant mobility boost in fights.

I fought up to the 37 boss solo in about half merciless gear including a weapon. Needed to be careful though and use consumables and range wisely.