Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think Jaws is a bad movie, but I don't like it. I'm a marine biologist and to me sharks are friends. Movies like Jaws only serve to further demonize sharks as vicious killers who will eat humans on sight, and cannot be trusted. When in reality very few species of sharks will ever even sometimes attack humans, and most of the time when they do it's a case of mistaken identity. These misconceptions make it very difficult to get legal protections for sharks, because lawmakers have seen Jaws and go "Why would I want to protect sharks? They monsters!"

thats actually pretty cool and totally fair but its very very individual, it'd be like saying you don't like Cowboy Bebop because your dad was a jazz bandleader and you were over-exposed to big band music as a kid, it's valid but cmon now

speaking of cornish accents, some of the regional accents in Dragons Quest 11 were fantastic, a few very strong southern english accents, delightful in the middle of a jrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think Jaws is a bad movie, but I don't like it. I'm a marine biologist and to me sharks are friends. Movies like Jaws only serve to further demonize sharks as vicious killers who will eat humans on sight, and cannot be trusted. When in reality very few species of sharks will ever even sometimes attack humans, and most of the time when they do it's a case of mistaken identity. These misconceptions make it very difficult to get legal protections for sharks, because lawmakers have seen Jaws and go "Why would I want to protect sharks? They monsters!"

:yeah:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Feel like Wolves have recovered their reputation thanks to fantasy movies, we just need more fantastical sharks in media

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

thats actually pretty cool and totally fair but its very very individual, it'd be like saying you don't like Cowboy Bebop because your dad was a jazz bandleader and you were over-exposed to big band music as a kid, it's valid but cmon now

speaking of cornish accents, some of the regional accents in Dragons Quest 11 were fantastic, a few very strong southern english accents, delightful in the middle of a jrpg

It's not really. I mean yes the thing you said is a personal preference thing that only affects me, but movies like Jaws do have actual tangible real world consequences in the form of making it difficult to get legal protections for real actual sharks. :confused:

hatty posted:

Feel like Wolves have recovered their reputation thanks to fantasy movies, we just need more fantastical sharks in media

This man gets it. :hfive:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Your Computer posted:

jaws was never my scene and i don't like star wars

Nice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t like movies based on whether I like the movie itself or not.

I find beebop kind of bland and jaws as boring.

I don’t care about sharks either way

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Video games don't have enough friendly sharks IMO.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Silver Falcon posted:

It's not really. I mean yes the thing you said is a personal preference thing that only affects me, but movies like Jaws do have actual tangible real world consequences in the form of making it difficult to get legal protections for real actual sharks. :confused:

I mean without knowing anything about marine biology or your field of work this is a difficult statement to understand, are you meaning in terms of stopping people poaching sharks for fins/teeth etc? I was being kind of flippant, yeah I've heard about things like people being hesitant to go into the water on the back of the film and a general misunderstanding of sharks as a man eating killer but I've never really thought how that plays out with real world conservation and legality.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sadly I totally believe members of Congress would make important decisions based solely on movies they've seen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Worst derail.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I like some sharks that other people like and also like some sharks other people dislike

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Mega64 posted:

Sadly I totally believe members of Congress would make important decisions based solely on movies they've seen.

They were referencing Jack Baeur when discussing ending the use of torture

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you're exiting the realm of aesthetic evaluation and entering into moral questions if you do that imo, which is usually tricky when trying to say if a certain game/film/song/book/etc is good or not

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

every switch game is good.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Jaws game was pretty fun on NES.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I find beebop kind of bland

jesus, dude

Bug Squash posted:

The most important thing to realise is that it doesn't mean "animation made in Japan". You can watch all of Ghibli, Red Line, Cowboy Beebop, and Legend of Galactic Heroes and not see any animé.

lmao what
especially with Red Line, wtf are you talking about

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 22, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean without knowing anything about marine biology or your field of work this is a difficult statement to understand, are you meaning in terms of stopping people poaching sharks for fins/teeth etc? I was being kind of flippant, yeah I've heard about things like people being hesitant to go into the water on the back of the film and a general misunderstanding of sharks as a man eating killer but I've never really thought how that plays out with real world conservation and legality.

Basically that, yeah. You get the gist. Sorry for the marine biology/conservationist derail. I'll stop now. I get touchy about sharks.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I get touchy feely about sharks, luckily they're smooth as hell

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver Falcon posted:

Sorry for the marine biology/conservationist derail. I'll stop now.

Yeah, let's get back to figuring out how to say that Xenoblade 2's art and writing is generic garbage for perverts in a way that doesn't offend people who like anime

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

xenoblade 2, like all switch games, is excellent

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Augus posted:

lmao what
especially with Red Line, wtf are you talking about

This was a little tounge in cheek, but for real, noone is standing around repeating every sentence with completly identical faces but slightly different hair in Redline, now are they? When people say "anime", they mean the lazy trope heavy crap. Once it's good it's no longer anime.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Waffle! posted:

The Jaws game was pretty fun on NES.

its very quirky and a lazy as hell use of the jaws license but it was also the very first ROM i downloaded so i have a fondness for it lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Bug Squash posted:

This was a little tounge in cheek, but for real, noone is standing around repeating every sentence with completly identical faces but slightly different hair in Redline, now are they? When people say "anime", they mean the lazy trope heavy crap. Once it's good it's no longer anime.

I can't remember which posters but I do remember the last time this came up and someone was like, "feh, everybody that says 'anime' as a pejorative means something totally different," and then someone else was like "it's when the art is generic and the writing is lazy embarassing trope stuff" and then a chain of several posters going "yeah, that."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Def-jZ3jYvw

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

When people say "anime", they mean the lazy trope heavy crap. Once it's good it's no longer anime.

actually, they don't, and this is moronic.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Bleck posted:

I can't remember which posters but I do remember the last time this came up and someone was like, "feh, everybody that says 'anime' as a pejorative means something totally different," and then someone else was like "it's when the art is generic and the writing is lazy embarassing trope stuff" and then a chain of several posters going "yeah, that."

I know it when I see it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The way goons classify something as "anime" or not is if they could play it in front of their SO without feeling embarrassed.

Ergo, Fire Emblem is anime and Dragon Quest is not.

Now please no one else post about this stupid poo poo for at least a week, thanks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

anime

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

if your SO doesn't like anime you should leave them immediately

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m sure your SO watches some dumb nonsense too you can bully them back with, be it dating shows or Marvel stuff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

An Actual Princess posted:

if your SO doesn't like anime you should leave them immediately

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is getting dumb, let's cut the anime arguments here, take it to another thread if you wanna say this same stuff over and over.

Instead let's talk about the thousands of games on the Nintendo Switch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t feel embarrassed playing anything because I’m not 12

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nintendo.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t feel embarrassed playing anything because I’m not 12

I thought I was like this, and then I bought “Disgaea 5”

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Thanks for this - I've been trying to remember "what's that anime movie where they get stuck in the whale" for a while and nobody I spoke to had any idea what I was talking about, and now I've found it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
get yourself a partner that's embarrassed with you at the embarrassing thing in the game rather than at you for playing it

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

I really want to experience a Piranha Bytes game on the Switch, preferably with motion controls. I need that Gothic jank on my console.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

This is getting dumb, let's cut the anime arguments here, take it to another thread if you wanna say this same stuff over and over.

Instead let's talk about the thousands of games on the Nintendo Switch.

Summer's coming up and with that end of work with me. I want some long stretches to really finish up with Disco Elysium, so I can dive head on in to Triangle Strategy. Only thing I've been able to get through, a level a night, is Kirby, which is amazing.

Also though... I need to dig into some Ninflex games. I got the subscription for 64, which I've only used to burn through half of Mario 64. I'd like to try Kirby again, play Yoshi for the first time, and maybe rebeat OoT and MM. I need to finish at least Dreamland 3 on the SNES, if I don't try to get through Superstar Saga again. And this is all without me having started/beaten Metroid Fusion so I can finally get Dread.

Not to mention Subnautica's sitting in my backlog just waiting for me to get wet this summer.

With no dates on Silksong, Omori, or Outer Wilds, I don't think there's any must-buy indies on the horizon for me aside for maybe TMNT, so I think I can realistically get through something prior to a major release.

Don't know still if I'll get Splatoon 3 on release... it's likely. The online when it starts is always tons of fun. And playing with you all is good in that game too. And this is all without me trying to beat Oracle of Ages (to see if it's better than Seasons or even good); or digging into Bravely Default on my 3DS.

Too many games on these systems people, and lots of them are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Omori does have a release date of July IIRC, it's just not on the shop for some reason