Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t…understand what that accomplishes

Well as you know, the most important aspect of currency is your inability to transfer or exchange it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

I have so many questions. Like, what exactly is the point of a token that can't be resold once bought? I thought this was supposed to be the bold new experiment in currency, and a currency that can't circulate is useless. Even the loving goldbugs understand that!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I did not think it was possible for NFTs to get even stupider.

Now I am the stupid one, it seems.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He lists some use cases in the replies, stuff like degrees and certificates for courses and such

You know, things that we have been doing for centuries without any need for this really exciting new tech

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t…understand what that accomplishes

Yeah its an NFT all right

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

If your degree is centralized then what it means is that a central authority would be in charge of determining whether you got a degree. Do we really want MIT to be allowed to determine who has a degree from MIT?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I will tell you that you’re a good lil boy for $500 and no one can ever take that away from you.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://lovedeathandart.com/frequently-asked-questions

well.. at least they're "free" (minus gas fees, naturally), and

quote:

WHY WOULD I WANT TO MINT?
Minting or downloading Love, Death + Robots Art is entirely up to you. If you’re a fan of digital collectibles / NFTs or want to start building your collection, hit the MINT ME button. The art will be cryptographically authenticated to you as the NFT owner. You can always just download the image! It’s your art to enjoy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

But like, I can already own all the non-transferrable links to jpgs I want. I own all the links to jpgs on any website I control right now. And they die with me when the domain expires or whatever.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mal-3 posted:

I have so many questions. Like, what exactly is the point of a token that can't be resold once bought? I thought this was supposed to be the bold new experiment in currency, and a currency that can't circulate is useless. Even the loving goldbugs understand that!

It reads to me like a back asswards attempt to find a use for the blockchain, and of course it is stupid and pointless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair NFTs aren’t supposed to be currency.

I’m not 100% sure what they are supposed to be but it wasn’t currency

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair NFTs aren’t supposed to be currency.

I’m not 100% sure what they are supposed to be but it wasn’t currency

This soulbond thing at least seems more honest to what an NFT is supposed to represent than NFTs are. If NFTs are really about "ownership" then what could be more sincere about that belief than having something stapled on to your good name for all eternity? You can't speculate on its monetary value but only its value as currency that measures jealousy, since having a very cool piece of art bonded to your very loving soul is an enviable position that transcends mere money

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No one. Will EVER. Steal your apes.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those soulbound NFT's won't even be popular with crypto-morons because the only reason they care about NFT's is getting rich off of flipping them :psyduck:

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
This sucks.. not only is my degree in Economics, Finance and Banking completely worthless due to upcoming cryptocoin supremacy, but also I was foolish enough to receive it on physical, eco-destoying, fungible paper.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Deptfordx posted:

No one. Will EVER. Steal your apes.

Here's $250,000 keep my apes safe!!1!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ekuNNN posted:

Those soulbound NFT's won't even be popular with crypto-morons because the only reason they care about NFT's is getting rich off of flipping them :psyduck:

Ah but now they have something to point to when anyone says “NFTs only exist as a greater fool grift” they can go “no see? THESE NFTs don’t even allow that! Therefore they’re all non-scams”

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JammyB posted:

This sucks.. not only is my degree in Economics, Finance and Banking completely worthless due to upcoming cryptocoin supremacy, but also I was foolish enough to receive it on physical, eco-destoying, fungible paper.

You fool!

Why I could break into your house, steal your diploma, and be running the Federal Reserve by this time tommorow.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I know next to nothing about crypto, I just enjoy the schadenfreude. But the soul bound thing has me wondering a simple question: If your wallet gets hacked, do you have any recourse for recovering it? If not, wouldn’t all of the use cases for soulbinding things still be way worse than any other centralized option?

Also if someone takes control of a wallet with a soulbound NFT can they just sell the whole wallet to someone else or is that not how it works.

Again, I know nothing and I kinda like it that way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fullroundaction posted:

I know next to nothing about crypto, I just enjoy the schadenfreude. But the soul bound thing has me wondering a simple question: If your wallet gets hacked, do you have any recourse for recovering it? If not, wouldn’t all of the use cases for soulbinding things still be way worse than any other centralized option?

Also if someone takes control of a wallet with a soulbound NFT can they just sell the whole wallet to someone else or is that not how it works.

Oh, it's extremely easy.
https://twitter.com/iamjasonlevin/status/1527340971633311744

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Well, I can’t poke any holes in that. Glad they have it all sewn up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna pay thousands of dollars for a diploma of an ape jpg and take it to my grave in a USB drive.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hsd anyone mentioned that one of the major coin inventors or nfters literally made the thing because a WoW patch that nerfed his thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sounds like his thing was already nerfed.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Wallets don't intrinsically belong to anyone. There is actually no such thing as your wallet.

Anyone who happens to know what the private key of a wallet is can make transactions from that wallet. That's it. There is literally nothing more to it than that.

However, for many tokens (including these newfangled SoulsBound tokens), the token is never actually in the wallet. There is a pseudo-database associated with the wallet controlling the tokens that keeps track of which wallet owns what token. So whatever controls that wallet can technically just up and decide to change the content of the database.

Why yes, that severely defeats the purpose.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 22, 2022

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I am vividly picturing spidermanspointingateachother.gif or even a grand "I AM SPARTACUS" scenario in which different people compete to prove that they're the proper owners of the wallet and are required to submit quality copies of identifying documents in order to persuade the majority to vote for them.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Can you re-key your wallet like you do with servers, or is that once the key is known that’s it forever?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
excited to use slurp juice on my bored ape degree

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

I did not think it was possible for NFTs to get even stupider.

Now I am the stupid one, it seems.

We’re never getting off this planet, are we? We will never explore the stars or have a society that will allow fulfilling, rewarding lives on a planet that is recovering from the ecological brink.

We’re going to be stuck here, boiling ourselves to death while crypto bros ramp up the mining.

For some reason, this comment just jettisoned the last illusion of optimism.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Automatic Slim posted:

We’re never getting off this planet, are we? We will never explore the stars or have a society that will allow fulfilling, rewarding lives on a planet that is recovering from the ecological brink.

We’re going to be stuck here, boiling ourselves to death while crypto bros ramp up the mining.

No it's more like people are willingly organizing themselves to be in classes and desperate to declare themselves lower than.

Willing rubes have existed forever.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Can you re-key your wallet like you do with servers, or is that once the key is known that’s it forever?

Transferring everything from that wallet to some other uncompromised wallet would be the equivalent of that, but odds are pretty good that whoever "hacked" the wallet did that already.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
So in the case of a school issuing soulbound diplomas, if the issuer ever got hacked, the hacker could just freely mint fake diplomas that were indistinguishable from the real ones I assume? And there’d be nothing anyone could do about it, forever.

Sorry for all the questions just needed to make sure this is as dumb as I thought (it is).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Durzel posted:

This is a very real thing I keep hearing.

Now that it’s near worthless people are thinking of just throwing $50 at it, the logic being that if you get like 120k LUNA as a result, beside the price is so low, then if it hits $1 - which sounds like such a small number when it once traded at over $100 - then you get $120k and can stop being a wage slave. If it doesn’t, you’ve only lost $50 so what’s the big deal?

The problems with this logic are obviously myriad. One of the most obvious ones is that for LUNA to hit $1 with its circulating supply it would mean it would have 183x the market capitalisation of Bitcoin. The other obvious problem is that it assumes that everyone will do this, rather than cash out earlier, or even that the fundamental UST/LUNA thing isn’t still a house of cards.

People truly are desperate.

like spending 50 bucks on a lottery ticket but the drawing will never happen

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What if you don't have a soul?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

fuctifino posted:

You'll fit right in

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fuctifino posted:

Then you are the one selling the NFTs.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

fuctifino posted:

You need to hack a wallet and steal one.

I'm also assuming it works like vampires where the more souls you steal the more powerful you become.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Automatic Slim posted:

https://twitter.com/ParikPatelCFA/status/1528430944759291909

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm the 12 billion hotdogs that Costco has on hand.

Apparently Costco sells around 121 million hotdogs per year. They might run a bit short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Costco sells uncooked hotdogs in their grocery section for $19.49 for 36 count or 54 cents a dog, and buns for $2.50 for 12, or 21 cents a piece. A cup of soda is barely worth more than the cup.

They probably still make money overall on the whole deal.