Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was going to bring up Emperor Pilaf and his henchmen as "Characters who fell off the face of the planet" in Dragon Ball (Going from being main antagonists through a series to not even getting a mention in the followup series has to be some sort of record), but a quick glance online... they come back in Super? drat, I actually have a reason to watch it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
didnt they come back as kids (dragon ball wish magic) though?

also for some reason they decided to do shipping with the kid Trunks and Mai even though she's technicially a women in a childs body. though maybe her mind got revert to a kid too because lol wish magics. (also get a wish lawyer to do your wishes, even if the DB dragons dont seem as hostile as genies or other wish granting entities.)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I still want to know how Shenron's decision process when Goku wished "bring everyone except the bad people back to life".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PhazonLink posted:

didnt they come back as kids (dragon ball wish magic) though?

also for some reason they decided to do shipping with the kid Trunks and Mai even though she's technicially a women in a childs body. though maybe her mind got revert to a kid too because lol wish magics. (also get a wish lawyer to do your wishes, even if the DB dragons dont seem as hostile as genies or other wish granting entities.)

They make Roshi an aggressive rapist who needs to work out all his pent up sexual energy before the big fight, so a 60 year old woman and 10 year old boy romance barely registers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The bit in Naruto shippuden where Gaara is brought back to life and it pays off the mirrored shot of Naruto's backstory of his horizon getting more and more full of compatriots while Gaara's horizon stays alone[ by having child!Naruto break away from his friends and run to Gaara who then wakes up surrounded by all the people of his village but their for real to make sure he's OK had me crying pretty hard tbh. When the story hits, it hits pretty hard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I still want to know how Shenron's decision process when Goku wished "bring everyone except the bad people back to life".
presumably Shenron just read Goku's mind

Goku is canonically simple enough that it's like 99% likely he just has good people/bad people categories and it was one of the easier mass-planetary-resurrection wishes to sort out :shobon:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"Goku's not gonna check, I'll just bring everyone back except those fuckers I don't like"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

presumably Shenron just read Goku's mind

Goku is canonically simple enough that it's like 99% likely he just has good people/bad people categories and it was one of the easier mass-planetary-resurrection wishes to sort out :shobon:

Goku also believes (surprisingly rightly, more often than not) that everyone deserves redemption barring a very specific list of people, so his definition of "bad guys" could just be "people that have no way of redemption".

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Shenron is free to interpret wishes however he wants, like all genies. When Frieza was wished back to life, Shenron brought him back as he was the exact moment before he got killed by Trunks: as a pile of Frieza chunks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Beerus needs to stop bullying Shenron. He's basically just a bad retail customer whenever they interact. It's like "Beerus, I know you are a bigger deal god, but do YOU grant wishes? No. That's entirely Shenron's thing, so when he's summoned by the dragonballs, let him wear the big boi pants. In those interactions, you are the CUSTOMER!" If Beerus was visiting Shenron at home then fair, but he never is, he's always being a dick while at Shenron's job. It would have been like if Zeno showed up while Beerus is trying to determine if a planet is worth keeping around and overturning his decision. Certainly you are more powerful, but don't do it while he's at work. That's just a dick move.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The deal with Yamcha is that he was never a real rival of any kind. He was a decent fighter who only ever stood a chance against a mostly starved Goku- after Goku got something to eat, it wasn't even close.

And that was always his lot ever since. He LOOKS like he should be a serious contender, but he never, ever was. Krillin on the flip side, he was always 'just a bit weaker' than Goku. He's the real jobber because he's the real fighter.

The first tournament lays this out pretty well. Yamcha fights Jackie Chun and, well, doesn't even fight him. Jackie Chun blows him out of the ring without trying. Krillin, on the flip side, actually gets a decent showing for himself, letting Jackie Chun really show off in turn, being a proper Jobber and setting up Goku's fight with him.

He pulls the same role in the third tournament against Piccolo, earning Piccolo's respect in turn.

Tien is different. He was introduced to be Goku's rival and equal. So he defeats Jackie Chun, while Goku definitively beats Krillin, in the second tournament to set them up properly.

By the third tournament, he becomes the new Jackie Chun, someone Goku defeats to show how far he's come and set up his fight with his new rival Piccolo properly.

But Tien ever since has lived in this twilight zone. Yamcha is the weak one, Krillin is the under dog, and Tien is somewhere between that and Former Rival slot that Piccolo took over when Vegeta claimed rival status. So characters will joke/comment on Krillin not being strong enough or not being ready or whatever, but Tien is treated...pretty much the same as Piccolo by the narrative and by other characters, despite not being near as powerful.

What it basically means is that Tien does not get moments to shine because no one doubts him, but he also doesn't get treated like a joke like Yamcha. So he mostly just scrapes by, existing.

It is an unenviable position to be in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Burkion posted:

The deal with Yamcha is that he was never a real rival of any kind. He was a decent fighter who only ever stood a chance against a mostly starved Goku- after Goku got something to eat, it wasn't even close.

And that was always his lot ever since. He LOOKS like he should be a serious contender, but he never, ever was. Krillin on the flip side, he was always 'just a bit weaker' than Goku. He's the real jobber because he's the real fighter.

The first tournament lays this out pretty well. Yamcha fights Jackie Chun and, well, doesn't even fight him. Jackie Chun blows him out of the ring without trying. Krillin, on the flip side, actually gets a decent showing for himself, letting Jackie Chun really show off in turn, being a proper Jobber and setting up Goku's fight with him.

He pulls the same role in the third tournament against Piccolo, earning Piccolo's respect in turn.

Tien is different. He was introduced to be Goku's rival and equal. So he defeats Jackie Chun, while Goku definitively beats Krillin, in the second tournament to set them up properly.

By the third tournament, he becomes the new Jackie Chun, someone Goku defeats to show how far he's come and set up his fight with his new rival Piccolo properly.

But Tien ever since has lived in this twilight zone. Yamcha is the weak one, Krillin is the under dog, and Tien is somewhere between that and Former Rival slot that Piccolo took over when Vegeta claimed rival status. So characters will joke/comment on Krillin not being strong enough or not being ready or whatever, but Tien is treated...pretty much the same as Piccolo by the narrative and by other characters, despite not being near as powerful.

What it basically means is that Tien does not get moments to shine because no one doubts him, but he also doesn't get treated like a joke like Yamcha. So he mostly just scrapes by, existing.

On the other hand for Tien, he has his "gently caress POWER LEVELS!" moment against Cell, that is just satisfying enough to make up for all of that. Just endless Kihohos.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BioEnchanted posted:

The bit in Naruto shippuden where Gaara is brought back to life and it pays off the mirrored shot of Naruto's backstory of his horizon getting more and more full of compatriots while Gaara's horizon stays alone[ by having child!Naruto break away from his friends and run to Gaara who then wakes up surrounded by all the people of his village but their for real to make sure he's OK had me crying pretty hard tbh. When the story hits, it hits pretty hard.

Absolutely my favorite arc in Shippuden. My room got real dusty during it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

On the other hand for Tien, he has his "gently caress POWER LEVELS!" moment against Cell, that is just satisfying enough to make up for all of that. Just endless Kihohos.

isnt the literal " "gently caress POWER LEVELS!" (and gently caress SSJs)" line from DBZA? dont really remember the actual canon.

Also apparently Yamcha death pose is a meme, but so is Peter Griffin's "death" pose is also a meme.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Absolutely my favorite arc in Shippuden. My room got real dusty during it.

You should probably clean more.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

PhazonLink posted:

isnt the literal " "gently caress POWER LEVELS!" (and gently caress SSJs)" line from DBZA? dont really remember the actual canon.

The exact line is, but it was still a scene of Tien hitting extremely above his weight class and saving everyone else's life in the process by holding Cell off until Goku showed up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Burkion posted:

Uh, point of order:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I just want to say that dragon Ball z abridged has some of the best story lines from the show but getting rid of all of the garbage power up sequences.

Not to mention they actually flesh out so many characters, and do give yamcha a reason to be around.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just want to say that dragon Ball z abridged has some of the best story lines from the show but getting rid of all of the garbage power up sequences.

Not to mention they actually flesh out so many characters, and do give yamcha a reason to be around.

I actually did like the little epilogue episode they did for Yamcha where he becomes a literal billionaire because the baseball team he plays for fires him for being too good (nobody was bothering to watch anymore because he always wins and it got more boring than usual), but having to pay him a shitload of money so that he wouldn't go play for another team.

I mean, canonically speaking, even Yamcha is powerful enough to destroy the planet. Vegeta was blowing planets up in filler episodes during the Saiyan saga, and everyone's power level is way beyond that by now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The xenoverse 2 game has a mission where you fought a turbo beefed up Yamcha and it was pretty fun

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Uh, point of order:

Tien is descended from a race of three eyed aliens, so technically Yamcha is the strongest human

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

grittyreboot posted:

Tien is descended from a race of three eyed aliens, so technically Yamcha is the strongest human

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

Also apparently Yamcha death pose is a meme, but so is Peter Griffin's "death" pose is also a meme.

The Family Guy Death Pose, yes.

BioEnchanted posted:

Beerus needs to stop bullying Shenron. He's basically just a bad retail customer whenever they interact. It's like "Beerus, I know you are a bigger deal god, but do YOU grant wishes? No. That's entirely Shenron's thing, so when he's summoned by the dragonballs, let him wear the big boi pants. In those interactions, you are the CUSTOMER!" If Beerus was visiting Shenron at home then fair, but he never is, he's always being a dick while at Shenron's job. It would have been like if Zeno showed up while Beerus is trying to determine if a planet is worth keeping around and overturning his decision. Certainly you are more powerful, but don't do it while he's at work. That's just a dick move.

To be fair kinda the point is that Beerus is a massive dick.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Goku is the only shonen main character who can withdraw from his 401k without a penalty.

I dunno, does Joseph Joestar count? He was only the protagonist when he was eighteen, but he kept appearing until he was nearly eighty.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah for all the times it misses it lands some real nice emotional beats even to the end

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Is this chat as utterly incomprehensible to anyone else?

Nothing against those that like it of course, each to their own.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Hercule knows "the basics" of martial arts according to Goku's inner monologue but his unwillingness to accept ki as a real thing means that he has to settle for only being the most famous dude in the world and having cool friends and saving the world by making other people believe in his cool friends.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Roblo posted:

Yeah, but it's not like there aren't things I can go off about in extreme detail that other people wouldn't. All good.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Roblo posted:

I sometimes wish for media discussed in this thread to be colour-coded so I can figure out when to start paying attention again.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Roblo posted:

I once spent a very animated evening in a bar with a good friend who I hadn't seen for a while, talking about nothing but Star Trek minutiae for about five hours.
Her poor boyfriend sat bravely beside us for two of those hours, smiled politely and eventually excused himself.
I think this thread may be my penance.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dave Syndrome posted:

I once spent a very animated evening in a bar with a good friend who I hadn't seen for a while, talking about nothing but Star Trek minutiae for about five hours.
Her poor boyfriend sat bravely beside us for two of those hours, smiled politely and eventually excused himself.
I think this thread may be my penance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnNm8TL6fw&t=65s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hercule knows "the basics" of martial arts according to Goku's inner monologue but his unwillingness to accept ki as a real thing means that he has to settle for only being the most famous dude in the world and having cool friends and saving the world by making other people believe in his cool friends.

Goku did seriously consider him for the Tournament of Power!

Also the bit where he plays with Pan along with The Great Saiyaman is great.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hercule was instrumental in defeating Buu once and for all so he’s pretty much the best in my book.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Roblo posted:

This happens most often with star trek. I'm happy I at least know a few of the main characters from dragonball z so at least I can sort of follow along.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Roblo posted:

Naruto Dragonball Goku Naruto Naruto Naruto beans and spam.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My memory of Dragon Ball Z consists entirely of one character screaming as energy expands into a sphere around them as another character grunts repeatedly in disbelief.

Also the comic where Goku legalizes weed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I tried to watch DBZ Kai recently and got like 3/4 of the way through the Frieza saga before I couldn’t take another scene of someone getting pelted with an insanely powerful chi attack, followed by the attacker smirking before going “BWUH?! Nobody could have survived that! How???!?!!”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dragon Ball is definitely one of those things that hits different when you're immersed in nostalgia. Especially given the context; cartoons at that point are still shackled to Saturday Morning adherence to status quo, and suddenly you have a show where things matter, things change from episode to episode, you get continuity.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Goons have a weird chip on their shoulder about anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

My memory of Dragon Ball Z consists entirely of one character screaming as energy expands into a sphere around them as another character grunts repeatedly in disbelief.

Tbf that's like 60% of the show.