Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Binding of Isaac is pretty good at it. You're most rewarded at normal but not bad play, while being excellent tends to introduces trade offs and more challenge.

There's a lot you can criticise about BoI and the new challenges it introduces (they can be more tedious than anything else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah the fact that it's a tradeoff is what makes me think BoI gets it closer to right. The way it doesn't is that you often want those items regardless of how skilled you are because extra power is so important early and they often have that, so you just take em and hope you can find enough soul hearts or +health items in the run before you die if you're bad.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
My current Revita run involves the machine gun, orbiting bullets, bullets that stay on screen for additional time after reaching max range, wave shot, and triple shot. I don't have to aim anymore. I just hold the trigger and surround myself with death.

edit: also I can't not find secret rooms.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 20, 2022

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Had a really good run in RL2 last night, my second try with a ranger. That spawnable platform thing feels like borderline cheating at times. Cleared all of the second zone and got the boss first try, cleared all of the third zone, got the doublejump*, unlocked the boss and nearly got it. Not sure I actually like the ranged ranger gameplay as much as the melee classes though?

*not much of a spoiler, but I didnt know it was there and it was neat

valuum fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 20, 2022

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
For some reason I had been thinking of something completely different when The Last Spell was being talked about for a little while now, and I'm glad I double checked because jesus christ it's like this game was made specifically for me. I will never not crave crunchy tactics games, and while I was skeptical about the emphasis on shitloads of enemies at first, it ends up feeling extremely good to have to choose between clearing grunts or prioritizing more dangerous targets.

I was sold on the game the moment I wasn't paying attention and accidentally loving popped my starting melee nerd with a single volley from my archer, killing him instantly.

As for RL2, since I've been playing that for the past week or so: It's good, I like it, the classes are fun and the bosses are neat, and despite finding some elements of certain areas loving annoying I actually think they're all pretty well designed and interesting outside of some very specific problems. The last area in particular can feel very bad when entering rooms from above or below since there are enough enemies with long range attacks that sometimes you'll take a hit before realizing anything's there.

I think the Bard is my favorite class, and the Bard variant is just absurdly fun to play despite the fact that I'm magnitudes worse at it than when using the lute.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Going from NG0 to NG1 in RL2 was a big shock for me because I went from being able to tank 10 or 20 hits in the castle down to more like 5.

I still managed to beat a boss on my first run through but most of my runs since then have been garbage. Still seems doable but not sure how far I can go if enemies really gain ~100 levels per NG.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sab Sabbington posted:

I was skeptical about the emphasis on shitloads of enemies at first, it ends up feeling extremely good to have to choose between clearing grunts or prioritizing more dangerous targets.

Same here. After the scripted failure I was kind of primed to think I was supposed to lose several matches in a row before unlocking poo poo, but after one loss it just kind of ... clicked into place and I started getting victories. Sometimes with zero panic, sometimes with my wizards taking some damage before the final enemies fell.

It feels drat good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

Going from NG0 to NG1 in RL2 was a big shock for me because I went from being able to tank 10 or 20 hits in the castle down to more like 5.

I still managed to beat a boss on my first run through but most of my runs since then have been garbage. Still seems doable but not sure how far I can go if enemies really gain ~100 levels per NG.

i've gone into NG2 and it wasn't as big of a jump

the upgraded bosses are the bigger issue, they're so tanky and their projectile patterns are mean enough that you need a decent relic setup or they're going to wear you down by attrition

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Thanks for the rec on this! Just finished the tutorial and I'm hooked already. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sivart13 posted:

I basically ignored the armor stat on my first playthrough but it starts to matter a lot more on higher difficulties and it's worth stacking your stats to get a balance between armor and health. Basically it's flat damage reduction, capped at 35% of the damage received. So if you're on NG0 and you have 100 armor and get hit for 100 damage, you'll only block 35 of it because of the cap. If you're on NG+ with the same loadout and get hit for 300 damage though, you'll block 100 of it, which is pretty significant.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
All excited for The Last Spell just to find no controller support. Come on people it isn't that hard in 2022 to support it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mithross posted:

edit: also I can't not find secret rooms.

those are always where the music dims/changes on one side of the room, right? or are there other secret rooms that don't do this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

goferchan posted:

It hits a little different here because in ETG I believe that's basically the only way to get extra max health, while in Revita practically EVERYTHING gives you health/max health. It comes and goes very easily. Also in ETG there's the argument that if you can no-hit a boss you don't need more health, but in Revita since HP is also your currency, once you're confident enough you can just spend that extra HP on powering up. Those Memento boss drops are uniquely useful though because you can get clever with them at the blacksmith between stages -- recycling them makes you lose the max HP they grant, but if you spend all your max HP on relic upgrades and recycle them when you're at zero (possible when you have shields) you can basically double-dip and squeeze out more upgrades.

Also one thing to note about the bonus for no-hitting a boss, is that whether it's a result of budget or whatever else, Revita has one set boss for each stage. Isaac, and to a lesser extent EtG, have a pool of several. Eventually after enough repetition you're bound to get to a point where you've got the patterns down perfectly and you're just never going to die to a given boss barring a major gently caress-up. That additional incentive for a no-hit clear becomes important at that point, because just like the combo system it introduces some new tension to early stages after the point where you're confident that you can survive them. I've got a ton of hours in the game and I can't remember the last time I've died to Despair at the end of the first stage, but that no-hit bonus means I still have some stakes when I'm fighting him.

if anything max HP being more of a currency than in EtG makes the no-hit reward MORE valuable to me - it could be a health buffer OR a damage upgrade. that said, I concede the argument anyway; your other points about the availability of max HP elsewhere - and the Revita bosses generally being easier to no-hit than EtG, especially with the static bosses & memorization - rather ameliorate things

still chaps my rear end to get winged by Anger right at the end though, rear end in a top hat mushroom toss :argh:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

those are always where the music dims/changes on one side of the room, right? or are there other secret rooms that don't do this

Each stage has one of those and then another one that doesn't give you notice when you're near it, but you'll still get a special sound when you shoot it. You open them both in the same way, by shooting them at least once before you've cleared the room of enemies

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Had a bit of a rough day the other day, so I sunk some time into learning UnReal world. I've enjoyed it quite a lot so far, it's very easy to get sucked in to the game's atmosphere, to the point I don't really mind the grind.

On my fourth character at this point (my first is still alive), a guy who is wonderfully agile and a highly expert bowman, but only has a terrible sapling bow and no arrows. I'm awful at hunting anything due to lack of arrows and just being bad at tracking in general, so I've only managed to hunt 2 squirrels thanks to them only fleeing to a tree and staying there while I spend 5 hours throwing things at them.

It's a good day when I get a squirrel, the hide usually pays for three times the food the squirrel was worth anyways.

My trapping skill is terrible and no bird will fall for my traps for me to get any feathers, so I wander hoping to find enough to make a single arrow.

Instead, I'm just the weird guy who shows up out of the forest with a massive pile of torches to trade for food because I can't get any myself. One day, someone will have a fishing rod or net for sale. Until that day, or the day I can get a single arrow and maybe hit something with it, I am the torch merchant guy.

Oh, and I helped an old guy make a new boat blessed by the water spirits so he could go fishing again. He taught me some magic, so that was nice.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Why's no one talking about Shotgun King here?

Anyway, Shotgun King owns.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gandlethorpe posted:

Why's no one talking about Shotgun King here?

Anyway, Shotgun King owns.

It’s pretty fun, loaded it up and beat normal difficulty in an hour and haven’t touched it since

Worth the six bucks or whatever though

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hades but you're trying to break out of ohtori academy

I need this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hades but you're trying to break out of ohtori academy

Hell yeah

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Odd Wilson posted:

Had a bit of a rough day the other day, so I sunk some time into learning UnReal world. I've enjoyed it quite a lot so far, it's very easy to get sucked in to the game's atmosphere, to the point I don't really mind the grind.

On my fourth character at this point (my first is still alive), a guy who is wonderfully agile and a highly expert bowman, but only has a terrible sapling bow and no arrows. I'm awful at hunting anything due to lack of arrows and just being bad at tracking in general, so I've only managed to hunt 2 squirrels thanks to them only fleeing to a tree and staying there while I spend 5 hours throwing things at them.

It's a good day when I get a squirrel, the hide usually pays for three times the food the squirrel was worth anyways.

My trapping skill is terrible and no bird will fall for my traps for me to get any feathers, so I wander hoping to find enough to make a single arrow.

Instead, I'm just the weird guy who shows up out of the forest with a massive pile of torches to trade for food because I can't get any myself. One day, someone will have a fishing rod or net for sale. Until that day, or the day I can get a single arrow and maybe hit something with it, I am the torch merchant guy.

Oh, and I helped an old guy make a new boat blessed by the water spirits so he could go fishing again. He taught me some magic, so that was nice.

Javelins are accessible and maybe one of the better ways to hunt when you skills aren't very good. They also don't fly the gently caress way away when you throw them at a bird. You can also throw whatever the hell kind of weapon you want and it'll work if your weapon skill for it is good.

Arrow quality counts for a lot. Each step up in quality markedly improves how straight your shots fly, but that's also supposing your bow skill put the shot on target to start with. For the player, superior arrows are worth their weight in silver and broadheaded superior arrows are worth their weight in gold.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

resistentialism posted:

Javelins are accessible and maybe one of the better ways to hunt when you skills aren't very good. They also don't fly the gently caress way away when you throw them at a bird. You can also throw whatever the hell kind of weapon you want and it'll work if your weapon skill for it is good.

Arrow quality counts for a lot. Each step up in quality markedly improves how straight your shots fly, but that's also supposing your bow skill put the shot on target to start with. For the player, superior arrows are worth their weight in silver and broadheaded superior arrows are worth their weight in gold.

I've got a javelin (had 2, lost the other inside a tree somehow) but my guy's a right poor aim with them. My main problem is that I usually end up spooking the target long before I even get in decent throwing range half the time anyways.

They also take forever to make without an axe, but I'm sitting on a decent stock of food, so maybe I can afford it. This guy started with near master bow and master dodge so I imagine he'll hit his mark if I ever got a hold of an arrow of normal quality.

I might try for my first character again, they've got far better spear skill, and the nearby town owes me a debt I can probably spend for some food. They even have a net for sale, albeit a very low quality one.

My end goal is just to get some reliable fishing so I can build a nice shelter by a lake. (I am utterly incapable of finding the town's water sources for some reason, so I just hit up lakes.)

Thanks for the tips!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I picked up Gnosia while it was on sale and, goddamn, it's been a hot minute since I disliked a game so much that I was able to get a Steam refund on it. Theoretically, it's supposed to be a roguelite social deduction game with VN elements, but the systems just do not support it at all. Everyone has like one or maybe two lines for any possible situation, and more than once, a character repeated the same line twice or even three times in the same conversation. So the only way to tell if someone is lying is if you pass a totally random stat check, at which point whether you can convince anyone else is ostensibly about conversation strategy but is again mostly about stats and RNG.

There's definitely some kind of metaplot, the game doesn't even try to hide that, I'm a sucker for time travel and alternate universe stories, but not enough to slog through hours and hours of wooden dialogue grinding my stats so I can brute force the system until maybe I have fun.

Edit: Credit where credit is due, the game does have a couple nonbinary characters and doesn't seem to make a huge deal out of it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 22, 2022

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I liked Gnosia but yeah, it’s definitely more a vn with some weird rpg mechanics than a roguelike.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gnosia is really good but it's not quite a roguelike.

The part about "you can only tell if they're lying by passing an RNG check" and the "grinding" is completely wrong though. The primary gameplay is about cross-referencing the information you get from other characters and then filling in the gaps with special skills you have access to to find inconsistencies. It's more like a complex puzzle game that way.
The story is also really good. I had an absolute blast with that game all the way through.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Yeah, Gnosia is really good but it's not a roguelike, or even a roguelite. The rules it has are different enough from real social games that you can approach it as a puzzle game, but it's really great when it clicks and you can tell someone's role just based on their behavior and getting to know then over several dozen loops.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Gnosia's not as grindy as the metastats make it seem, they have some effect but learning how the AI thinks and how each character behaves in various circumstances (and which ones you should try to either kill early or avoid pissing off regardless of role) is the important part. Mostly the metastats give you more chances to steer the AIs without tripping the "this guy's talking too much, he sus/we should kill him tonight" triggers, along with unlocking special actions that aren't necessary but can give you an edge against persuasive characters, especially once they start breaking out those abilities themselves.

Basically, those aren't (entirely) wooden repetitive lines, they're part of the cues that tell you what attack or defense a character used in a given exchange.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Metastats don't even make you stronger relative to other characters. Just as you level up and gain access to new abilities, so does every other character, and the matches get more complex as the game goes on.
God drat Yuriko never stops being a total menace no matter how much you level up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does the dialogue get less wooden and repetitive?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

The game is kind of split into two parts. Gameplay and VN style story. You've probably seen both already.
Gameplay necessarily only has a couple of unique lines per character per action but there are actual non-repeating story events, mostly during the "free time" between rounds, where the actual story happens.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Been digging through my deep backlog and dusted off Renowned Explorers, it's actually really good, way better than Curious Expedition.

That said, I cannot possibly manage to survive combat once I get to the third or fourth expedition - how do I either deal enough damage to win rocket tag or just like, not die instantly? All healing seems to suck except for one lady (Emilia?)'s unique AoE healing, Friendly in general seems lovely, I know I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what. Been prioritizing upgrading my armor which might be the problem because "survive one more hit" works a lot better vs 3 trash than 10 trash.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Been digging through my deep backlog and dusted off Renowned Explorers, it's actually really good, way better than Curious Expedition.

Funny, that was like the opposite of my experience. I always mixed the two of them up, and had bounced really hard off of Renowned Explorers (the combat? I think it was), but just this year rediscovered Curious Expedition in my library and binged the poo poo outa it. What makes you think RE was the better game?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Serephina posted:

Funny, that was like the opposite of my experience. I always mixed the two of them up, and had bounced really hard off of Renowned Explorers (the combat? I think it was), but just this year rediscovered Curious Expedition in my library and binged the poo poo outa it. What makes you think RE was the better game?
I didn't like the die-roll based combat in CE. RE fights are like baby's first tactics game, which is the right amount of tactics for me even if I wouldn't mind a little more variety in my life. Also CE's big on inventory management which doesn't really scratch an itch for me.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Serephina posted:

Same. I think Renowned Explorer is probably more accessible, but I found Curious Expedition more interesting and original.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

FrickenMoron posted:

Just wanted to drop in how good the after hit damage boost is in RL2, especially with guaranteed crit weapons. Its NG+6 but still by far the hardest hitting weapon for me.
What is this and where do you get it? I just started NG+7 and don't see anything new or special available?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's just the axe with revenge damage and a supercrit. Equip all runes that boost crit and super crit DMG and max out dex

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

girl dick energy posted:

I picked up Gnosia while it was on sale and, goddamn, it's been a hot minute since I disliked a game so much that I was able to get a Steam refund on it. Theoretically, it's supposed to be a roguelite social deduction game with VN elements, but the systems just do not support it at all. Everyone has like one or maybe two lines for any possible situation, and more than once, a character repeated the same line twice or even three times in the same conversation. So the only way to tell if someone is lying is if you pass a totally random stat check, at which point whether you can convince anyone else is ostensibly about conversation strategy but is again mostly about stats and RNG.

There's definitely some kind of metaplot, the game doesn't even try to hide that, I'm a sucker for time travel and alternate universe stories, but not enough to slog through hours and hours of wooden dialogue grinding my stats so I can brute force the system until maybe I have fun.

Edit: Credit where credit is due, the game does have a couple nonbinary characters and doesn't seem to make a huge deal out of it.

If you're interested to see how the game changes as you get deeper, there is a thread on it in the LP forum that got a decent chunk into.

A lot of folks have already covered the important bits, IMO Gnosia is the kind of game you either really like or just can't get in to.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

girl dick energy posted:

The dialogue is a bit of a fake-out, in my opinion. Gnosia gameplay is a social deduction puzzle game much more than it is a visual novel--it's been a while, but I think there might even just be literally one line of dialogue each character has per action they can take. You can replace the dialogue with "SQ used Doubt on Stella" in your mind

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just got Cogmind and I am very regretful that I didn't get into this game ages ago because it's amazing, also can someone give me some basic hints beyond obvious stuff like "fill in all your slots" and "try to only get shot at by one enemy at a time".

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

advice from a scrub who's never even cleared a single ending:
- your inventory is safe space for parts you might need in the future, no need to run those fancy comms or hacking tools 24/7 if you can spare the matter to swap them in and out
- until you've got a grip on the combat system (I for sure don't) traveling fast and light is smart. there's no reward beyond breathing room and parts for clearing enemies. find those exits and gtfo.
- don't be afraid to use the save scum thing when you know you've hit an end of run. explore your surroundings and get a feeling for what other options you might've had. scope out the level too, getting a feeling for how the RNG spawns staircases is vital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure the devs for 10 Minutes Till Dawn accidentally pushed a production version of the game instead of their intended hotfix, lmao. I just got to play with an unavailable character and gun for the full 20 minutes*

*it crashed when I picked up the pentagram for the second boss you have to fight in a cage, so technically it was 15 minutes and change.

Anyway immediately after the crash the game updated again and it's all gone, RIP accidental sneak peek. It was pretty cool though, I had dual machineguns and dropped lightning on literally everything on screen continuously, which refilled my clips faster than I could empty them.