Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Evil Fluffy posted:

He didn't need a revolution, Russians were pissed as hell at Gorbachev and others they felt had betrayed them and Putin was a new, better way to regain glory. Good thing the US doesn't have a party seen as a bunch of mediocre shitheads willing to let the people suffer to appease the rich and powerful!

quote:

Gorbachev

🤔

Putin was also quite unpopular with Russians who paid any attention to politics early on (and though not really indicative, the bit in Putin's Witnesses where Mansky's child daughter runs away screaming "I don't want Putin to be president!" before dunking herself in the tub during the 2000 New Year's address is hilarious), and early 2000s media loved charicatures of him as a bumbling inarticulate academic lawyer. He had the benefit of looking strong (something that couldn't really be said about Yeltsin in any situation since 1991) during an anti-terrorism war, record oil prices boosting the economy, and a great willingness to destroy independent media.

The New Russian Mythos or whatever you wanna call it came after to cement that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

mandatory lesbian posted:

drat, this thing that hasnt been working for years, yeah lets do that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

its working for the people who organize to do it, even when they're the absolute worst people

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This talk of moving people into strategic districts presupposes that voting is your most important political tool, which it clearly isn't. Your vote is worth maybe $100 to a political party. Thanks to this Supreme Court, there's no limit to the amount of money the rich can spend influencing politicians.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
clearly this is just a goon challenge for us to all move to west virginia and primary joe manchin

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is one way to ensure the SCOTUS overturns that idiotic 5th circuit ruling, I guess.

...or they uphold it and suddenly they no longer have a bunch of heavily armed (federal) officers between them and the angry mobs protesting outside their homes. :shrug:

They have different rules. Just like they ruled a no protest zone for abortion providers' work was unconstitutional while sitting behind a metal fence and concrete barricades themselves.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

Blood-red rural Wisconsin is a pretty lovely place to live and would limit your life prospects and those of your children. There's a reason it was depopulated of blue voters in the first place

Blood red rural Wisconsin isn’t what you need to worry about. Gerrymandered blood red suburbs would work just fine and have all the amenities your little capitalist heart desires.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

...or they uphold it and suddenly they no longer have a bunch of heavily armed (federal) officers between them and the angry mobs protesting outside their homes. :shrug:

That's why I think they're going to do it piecemeal. Only declare *some* agencies unconstitutional. They aren't going to get rid of the FAA, for example. Rich people fly and want to make sure they don't have to worry about their planes falling out of the sky, and skimping maintenance is the first thing airline comapnies will do to make more money. Or your example; I'm sure they like the taxpayers funding their protection (from taxpayers). They probably don't want to get rid of the federal drug enforcement agencies either.

They have time, they can wait for the Republicans to kick up a few choice rulings for them to say "this federal agency is unconstitutional, but the others are cool".

EPA is gone, as is any labor departments, though.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 20, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

They might not get rid of the fda entirely, gutting it’s regulatory power (and wielding what remains to protect oligarchs) is definitely beneficial to Republican interests.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Not great!

https://twitter.com/chrissy_smithy/status/1527353620244549647?s=21&t=QLhBA34--tE_4ElaMrb4NQ

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Devil's Advocate Pacino was really the Heritage Foundation.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

People have no idea how badly the courts are packed with religious nutjobs.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

I'm sure the 4 federal clerkships from Regent are going to have a lot more impact than the 84 from Harvard. On a state/local level it's 12 from Regent's vs. 17 from Harvard, but that's probably because Harvard grads are less likely to clerk on lowly local courts.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 20, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1527685166897979392?s=20&t=t0pTymaUlo_UjSddv3FRSQ

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

🤔

Putin was also quite unpopular with Russians who paid any attention to politics early on (and though not really indicative, the bit in Putin's Witnesses where Mansky's child daughter runs away screaming "I don't want Putin to be president!" before dunking herself in the tub during the 2000 New Year's address is hilarious), and early 2000s media loved charicatures of him as a bumbling inarticulate academic lawyer. He had the benefit of looking strong (something that couldn't really be said about Yeltsin in any situation since 1991) during an anti-terrorism war, record oil prices boosting the economy, and a great willingness to destroy independent media.

The New Russian Mythos or whatever you wanna call it came after to cement that.

Yeah sorry I meant Yeltsin and mixed them up.

Putin might've been hated by people who paid close attention to politics but just how many people was that at the time and how many of them hated Putin more than the idea of continuing down the path they'd been on at the time?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Meatball posted:

That's why I think they're going to do it piecemeal. Only declare *some* agencies unconstitutional. They aren't going to get rid of the FAA, for example. Rich people fly and want to make sure they don't have to worry about their planes falling out of the sky, and skimping maintenance is the first thing airline comapnies will do to make more money.

Lol if you think they aren't already doing that. The airline industry is already skimping on maintenance, they hire the cheapest mechanics they can and fly planes that need repair so long as it'll make it to the next stop. Why do you think there's so many delays these days? And the airline manufacturers are cutting as many corners as they can to squeeze maximum money. The whole 737 MAX fiasco was in part because they removed a redundant sensor to save a few cents per plane. And they keep slapping new engines and wing shapes on old frames and calling it a "upgrade" so they can get around doing analysis to show structural margin. These frames were never designed for the forces and loads they're being subjected to, cause more wear and maintenance issues.

Rich people don't fly public airplanes, so the FAA doesn't matter much. Their private jets are just fine.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OniPanda posted:

Lol if you think they aren't already doing that. The airline industry is already skimping on maintenance, they hire the cheapest mechanics they can and fly planes that need repair so long as it'll make it to the next stop. Why do you think there's so many delays these days? And the airline manufacturers are cutting as many corners as they can to squeeze maximum money. The whole 737 MAX fiasco was in part because they removed a redundant sensor to save a few cents per plane. And they keep slapping new engines and wing shapes on old frames and calling it a "upgrade" so they can get around doing analysis to show structural margin. These frames were never designed for the forces and loads they're being subjected to, cause more wear and maintenance issues.

Rich people don't fly public airplanes, so the FAA doesn't matter much. Their private jets are just fine.

But now if a plane falls out of the air the only recourse would be for injured parties to form a class action.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

kzin602 posted:

But now if a plane falls out of the air the only recourse would be for injured parties to form a class action.

Nope, they would have to litigate individually because the Roberts court very much wants to destroy class-action suits.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kzin602 posted:

I think you mean go to binding arbitration.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sydin posted:

I think you mean go to binding arbitration.

Binding arbitration and large plaintiff classes do not mix very well, as Uber found out a few years ago

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

haveblue posted:

Binding arbitration and large plaintiff classes do not mix very well, as Uber found out a few years ago

Doing this to numerous large corporations might be the best/only real way to undo the damage to class-actions.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

OniPanda posted:

I don't know about that. They may not fly on passenger jets but rich people are invested in airlines, and airlines tend to lose money when their planes start falling out of the sky.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

OniPanda posted:

There have been 2 fatal Part 121 accidents since 2010. I'm not sure where you get the idea that commercial aviation isn't safe.

https://www.airlines.org/dataset/safety-record-of-u-s-air-carriers/

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

there is something incredibly ironic about the DOJ providing physical security to Ginni Thomas who was directly involved in a criminal conspiracy against the executive branch and US.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1527038227785428992

Strong Romney energy in this tweet

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PeterCat posted:

There have been 2 fatal Part 121 accidents since 2010. I'm not sure where you get the idea that commercial aviation isn't safe.

https://www.airlines.org/dataset/safety-record-of-u-s-air-carriers/

Or that airlines can fly airplanes that "need repair."

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

PT6A posted:

Or that airlines can fly airplanes that "need repair."

They can and do all of the time depending on the type of repair. They follow a "minimum equipment list" and as long as they have the minimum they can fly even if something needs repaired.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Raldikuk posted:

They can and do all of the time depending on the type of repair. They follow a "minimum equipment list" and as long as they have the minimum they can fly even if something needs repaired.

Yes, of course. If something not required as minimum equipment is broken, then the plane does not "need repair" by definition because the MEL defines when the plane "needs repair." This is not something remotely new, or restricted to the US/FAA jurisdiction.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

OniPanda posted:

The whole 737 MAX fiasco was in part because they removed a redundant sensor to save a few cents per plane.

That's not quite right, although the spirit is correct. Rather, Boeing sold the secondary AoA sensor as an upgrade instead of including it as the mandatory safety feature it should have been, and cheaper airlines like Lion Air refused to pony up for it. So on the planes that only had one AoA sensor, MCAS could just decide gently caress you the nose is pitching down because you're in a stall even if you weren't because a single point of failure existed in the system. If the pilot didn't realize what was going on and know to disable the sensor, the plane would just flat out ignore pilot input and continue to nosedive because the computer erroneously thought the plane was in a stall.

Additionally, the whole reason the MCAS system existed in the first place was because the 737 MAX had a new flight profile that otherwise would have required pilots to retrain and recertify with the new plane which is expensive, time consuming, and would have dissuaded airline companies from buying the shiny new toy. So Boeing slapped in MCAS as a middleware bandaid to translate pilot inputs to similar outcomes to the previous 737 generation. They even tried to obfuscate the system even existed and omitted it from pilot manuals.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
did a supreme court justice die in a plane crash or something

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They will pretty quickly if they decide to uphold the 5th Circuit's absolutely pants on head batshit insane ruling.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Sydin posted:

They will pretty quickly if they decide to uphold the 5th Circuit's absolutely pants on head batshit insane ruling.

So you're saying it's not all bad, then?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

PT6A posted:

Yes, of course. If something not required as minimum equipment is broken, then the plane does not "need repair" by definition because the MEL defines when the plane "needs repair." This is not something remotely new, or restricted to the US/FAA jurisdiction.

I mean the item still will need repaired right? Seems like pointless nitpicking to say it doesn't need it since it's still deemed airworthy.

And ofc we have to trust the manufacturer and aviation authority that they did their job. For instance in the 737 max example if a plane had 2 AoA sensors installed and 1 needed repair the MEL would have said it's safe when we now know it would not be.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sydin posted:

That's not quite right, although the spirit is correct. Rather, Boeing sold the secondary AoA sensor as an upgrade instead of including it as the mandatory safety feature it should have been, and cheaper airlines like Lion Air refused to pony up for it. So on the planes that only had one AoA sensor, MCAS could just decide gently caress you the nose is pitching down because you're in a stall even if you weren't because a single point of failure existed in the system. If the pilot didn't realize what was going on and know to disable the sensor, the plane would just flat out ignore pilot input and continue to nosedive because the computer erroneously thought the plane was in a stall.

Additionally, the whole reason the MCAS system existed in the first place was because the 737 MAX had a new flight profile that otherwise would have required pilots to retrain and recertify with the new plane which is expensive, time consuming, and would have dissuaded airline companies from buying the shiny new toy. So Boeing slapped in MCAS as a middleware bandaid to translate pilot inputs to similar outcomes to the previous 737 generation. They even tried to obfuscate the system even existed and omitted it from pilot manuals.

There's a pretty good Netflix doc on this. They didn't train pilots on MCAS in order to save money.

The single point of failure gave a pilot 10 seconds to figure out what was going on before the plane killed everyone aboard.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'd throw the FDA in the burn pile too. We have babies that have literally died/are dying because rich assholes would rather lie on inspections and use the O&M budget on stock buybacks and one half of the political apparatus is ok with it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sydin posted:

This isn't quite right either. All the planes had two sensors, I think; the optional upgrade was a display telling the pilots when they disagree. But in any case, MCAS was always fed from one sensor, so you couldn't just switch to the other sensor if the first failed, even if you had the upgrade.

Also, thanks in large part to Boeing being allowed to self-certify, MCAS was decided to be non flight critical, avoiding the requirement to have three sensors so they can vote. This made some sense on the previous model, which had MCAS, but gave it less authority to control the attitude of the plane. But they upped its ability for the Max 8 due to concerns about it having a tendency to pitch up.

MCAS was in fact explained in the training pilots took when transitioning to the MAX 8 from other versions of the 737, as was the procedure to disable it, but that training took the form of a powerpoint presentation viewed on an IPAD. Literally. Crews never had to actually practice it, and it wasn't clear that disabling MCAS took out the entire electronic trim control system as well. I'd say this is actually worse than not being trained because it makes it clear they knew there was enough of a problem to need some CYA box-checking.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 22, 2022

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah sorry I meant Yeltsin and mixed them up.

Putin might've been hated by people who paid close attention to politics but just how many people was that at the time and how many of them hated Putin more than the idea of continuing down the path they'd been on at the time?

Part of the issue is that there simply aren't any alternatives to Putin. He's done more than plenty to reinforce this, but it wasn't entirely of his doing. Who actually was there to vote for who was going to improve the living standards of Russians more than Putin? There have been (and still are) a number of opposition figures lionized by the West because of their opposition to Putin . . . who are insane Russian nationalists themselves!--they just aren't Putin. The only credible opposition is the Communists, and if they won it might invite some anti-democratic measures being imposed on Russia from external actors.

I know this is a huge derail but there is some slight parallel with the direction American politics is headed. The Democrats are the only sane option on the ballot with a chance of winning elections. If you only have one legitimate choice, it isn't a very democratic system, and it removes basically all incentives the Democrats have to deliver anything for their voters--they can just (correctly) say that them winning power and literally doing nothing is still better than the alternative.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

its my not-especially-informed understanding that many russian communists are also nationalists and shall we say not natural leftist allies on many social issues

i find that believable because it is also the case with too many european communists im more familiar with

the construction of a humane political party remains an open and difficult project across much of the "first world"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Guest2553 posted:

I'd throw the FDA in the burn pile too. We have babies that have literally died/are dying because rich assholes would rather lie on inspections and use the O&M budget on stock buybacks and one half of the political apparatus is ok with it.

You're responding to industry lying in regulatory inspections and violating regulations by...destroying the regulatory agency?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

You're responding to industry lying in regulatory inspections and violating regulations by...destroying the regulatory agency?
Getting rid of any regulatory agency is dumb as hell, it's insane and idiotic to think that foods and drugs would be BETTER without a regulatory agency.

If anything, their enforcement powers should be increasingly funded and expanded.

The FDA should be arresting heads of companies who release foods that kill people.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 22, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
The last thing we want is to have congress have direct control of every single agency regulation. Congress cannot and should not dictate for example what the minimum horizontal spacing from clouds should be for aircraft flying VFR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Getting rid of any regulatory agency is dumb as hell, it's insane and idiotic to think that foods and drugs would be BETTER without a regulatory agency.

If anything, their enforcement powers should be increasingly funded and expanded.

The FDA should be arresting heads of companies who release foods that kill people.

Fwiw this abbott action looks likely to go full criminal prosecution; the dead infants make it relatively straightforward, and there's sufficient congressional attention as well.