Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Popstar was really good

The bin laden song was good, the rest was really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ugly Sonic looks pretty much exactly the same as the original movie design and is still called Sonic, I feel like they're pushing the boundaries of legally acceptable parody to breaking point there.

Pants Donkey summed it up pretty well. The film has a basically serviceable original story that it gets into pretty much straight away, plus some of the parody characters are good fun when they move away from direct parody into simply being inspired by them, like the Gumby cop and the sock puppet cop. But for some reason the marketing team were really, really proud of how many references there were and really, really pushed them to the fore (hence why it looked completely repulsive to me). Also direct parodies only work if you know the reference, so uncanny valley Beowulf and weird movie Sonic fall completely flat if you didn't know about them at the time. Why is this blandly designed character called Ugly Sonic, and why are they devoting several seconds to him licking his regular human teeth? :shrug: It's a total mystery to me, a person who is not completely internet poisoned.

But sure, it was fine otherwise. It is not the disgusting celebration of Things Existing that they desperately wanted to market it as. They'd better give us an actual Duck Tales-style reboot though, they know we want it god drat it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 21, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I enjoyed the movie but I do admit that it (and the GameMaster Anthony genere as a whole) are going to be incomprehensible to futute generations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I swear Ugly Sonic has a pot belly among other tweaks to keep him from being a dead-on copy.

Also weird that they got Tress to reprise Gadget (very obvious why they dropped the old chipmunk voices), but they recasted Monty. I thought it may have been due to accusations against Jim Cummings, but no he plays a few characters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It might have been to further hone in on the joke that she's the only one who was exactly her character on and off the show. Even Zipper is different off screen. Voiced by Andre Braugher.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, answered better above

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I am like 99% certain they would've had to get SEGA and/or Paramount to sign off to do what they did. It's literally just the first version of Sonic from the movie, SEGA and Paramount own the rights to that design, even if they didn't use it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, there's other Paramount owned characters in there. Randy Marsh, an election ad for Senator Butthead on a bench, the only ones that come to mind.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Disney’s probably buying Paramount by the end of the decade so they’re just laying the groundwork

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Any ideas why Sonic Origins still isn't listed on the Switch eShop? About a month away.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MatchaZed posted:

Any ideas why Sonic Origins still isn't listed on the Switch eShop? About a month away.

Not a clue, it’s been up for preorder on PSN for a little while now at least

Speaking of, it looks like most of the Sonic series (including the games not featured in Origins) has been dumped from PSNow for whatever reason

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sega should definitely try to sue disney

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How can we get Ken Penders involved and get Knuckles installed as the new Mickey Mouse?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I thought it may have been due to accusations against Jim Cummings

……what accusations against Jim Cummings? :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mode 7 posted:

……what accusations against Jim Cummings? :(

It's honestly nothing. He was going through a messy heated divorce and custody trial a few years back. Lots of mud slinging and accusations were thrown back and forth. After investigations Jim Cummings won Custody of his kids with some visitation rights for his ex wife. Generally only tabloids and stuff reported on it, as there was not much to go on.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

I swear Ugly Sonic has a pot belly among other tweaks to keep him from being a dead-on copy.

While I don't know what sequences they worked on, the VFX studio that did the bulk of the work on the first Sonic movie (or at least one of the locations that wasn't closed the week after we finished working on it) did also work on Chip 'n Dale, so it's actually fairly likely that Ugly Sonic's model was dug out of the archives and roughed up a bit to make him pudgy and old.

I think legally, 10% of the model has to be different to make it "original" - or at least, that's what the legal department told us when we bought (and altered) sci-fi skyscrapers from turbosquid to fill out a city skyline in another movie. The tweaks to Ugly Sonic in Chip 'n Dale could have been enough to meet the requirement, but something like this probably would have needed studio cooperation since it's a pretty prominent element of the movie. I remember hearing that when Michael Bay wanted to put a sunken pirate ship on the ocean floor in a single shot of one of the Transformers movies, they needed to run it up the flagpole to re-use one of the ships from Pirates of the Caribbean rather than spending time and money to build one from scratch. Ugly Sonic's way more heavily featured than a random pirate shp.

Though cheeky asset re-use does happen from time to time - These trucks from Terminator 5 were straight-up re-used in a Hunger Games movie to help fill out the scene:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

How can we get Ken Penders involved and get Knuckles installed as the new Mickey Mouse?

Oh, Christ, don't joke. The last thing anyone needs is Sonic.obj there dredging all that bullshit back to wreck everything again.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I want Sonic 32X terrible movie game in the style of Sonic CD anime

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As someone who hated Chip and Dale as a kid I gotta say that movie was pretty fun. Had to look up the original Sonic trailer out of curiosity and man is that thing horrific. Mainly it's weird humanoid body and white hands that just looked wrong.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Sonic 2006 got relisted on the Xbox store! And at only $5!

https://kotaku.com/sonic-hedgehog-06-sega-xbox-360-digital-cult-classic-wo-1848971197

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

It's not backwards compatible and I still have my physical copy and I loving hate the game and yet now I own it digitally

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sega should authorize it for BC, people will buy a piece of history

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
everyone should be legally required to own one copy of sonic 06

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Put it on Steam you cowards.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cut ChaosX a fat paycheck and release P-06 as an official product

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sonic 06 should be experienced raw and untampered with. Just a fascinating mess

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

hatty posted:

Sonic 06 should be experienced raw and untampered with. Just a fascinating mess

It's a rite of passage. Don't tell me you think the Adventure games are jank, have a bad camera or controls or whatever until you know how much worse it could be.

Any time someone says "This is the worst film ever made", I'm like have you seen Attack of the Clones? I don't even think Manos is worse than it, because that wasn't made by an enormous team of industry professionals or part of a massively popular series.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's honestly nothing. He was going through a messy heated divorce and custody trial a few years back. Lots of mud slinging and accusations were thrown back and forth. After investigations Jim Cummings won Custody of his kids with some visitation rights for his ex wife. Generally only tabloids and stuff reported on it, as there was not much to go on.

Actually he was accused (truthfully) of abusing his ex and beating the poo poo out of a dog they owned. Only idiots would look at what she said and think "nah she just crazy". Believe women.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Most of the complaints about S06 I’ve seen revolve around it being an unfinished mess. Would it have actually been good with another year to clean it up? I’ve never played it so I’m genuinely curious.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It has potential, but whether they would have realised it or not is a very different issue.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Download Project 06 and judge for yourself. It's not complete and there are more improvements to be made, but it's already a drat sight less infuriating than the original.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

In my opinion if they cleaned it up in terms of the camera and the controls working, it would have been decent if a bit uninspired. The plot is centered around time travel and could never have been made coherent. Probably would have made it up to about Sonic Unleashed levels, where there's some stuff people liked, some they found tedious or stupid, and on the whole it was sort of forgotten after its time.

Of course if you want to assume they'd do more, like level improvements, then you could end up with a better hypothetical end product.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’d probably just be dull if it worked properly instead of the interesting dumpster fire it is right now

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Download Project 06 and judge for yourself. It's not complete and there are more improvements to be made, but it's already a drat sight less infuriating than the original.

Bit misleading to suggest Sega could produce a sonic game as good as what the fans are making

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently they planned to do a bit more with 06 during development (for example, Knuckles has recorded lines for every ranking despite being the only character in the game who can’t complete an area via normal means, also apparently at one point Metal Sonic was going to be an unlockable character for collecting all the medals).

Also ironically enough the 06 demo was actually more polished than the final game (from what I hear they ran into some issues and had to revert to an older, more stable version of the game)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Most of the complaints about S06 I’ve seen revolve around it being an unfinished mess. Would it have actually been good with another year to clean it up? I’ve never played it so I’m genuinely curious.

Short answer: the game's dev team was very quickly cut down to 1/4th it's original size so the skeleton crew building it probably would not have been able to affect all that much change with an extra year.

Long answer: the game's most obvious problems are the controls, camera, and bugs. which maybe they could have used an extra year to improve dramatically. The game has a lot more fundamental problems though, which would require a lot of man hours to improve.

The hub areas are loving gigantic, but where sonic adventure's hub levels were smaller and fairly content dense (especially station square) these hub worlds are filled with lots of nothing, unless you really like minimum effort superfluous side missions (talk to npc -> npc says "we need someone to beat up these robots!" -> loading screen -> npc says "oh no the robots are attacking!" -> another loading screen -> beat up 10 robots that have spawned into the hub world). One of the hub areas in particular contains like 2 levels and is otherwise a massive empty field you have to run across (imagine if the mystic ruins was entirely flat with no walls and all the levels were over by where eggman's base entrance is).

Mach speed sections involve
-moving extremely fast
-being unable to stop or control your speed
-having 0 air control, which combines with the extreme speed to make your landing point very far away so start praying you manage to land on the ground
-touching any solid object kills you
-movement rotates sonic, rather than "strafing" like in boost sonic games
Which all combines into a thoroughly frustrating and unpleasant experience where the camera, controls, and bugs are just the cherry on top. Fixing this would require a complete redesign, and could probably eat up the whole year all on it's own.

The most obvious level design problems involve things like the camera suddenly shifting perspective mid jump over a death pit large enough that you can't course correct, so that sort of thing could probably be fixed. But then there's still garbage like stepping into a room and being told "kill 20 lava worms and 8 rock monsters to make the door open" which sucks balls. There's definitely very little level design that I would call "great" rather than "acceptably competent." This isn't even getting into atrocities like silver's infamous billiards section.

Tbh an extra year to remove the bugs would have made the game less fun as how bad it is is most of the fun to be had. You'd probably get "sonic adventure 3 but really boring" if you took all the jank out.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Apparently they planned to do a bit more with 06 during development (for example, Knuckles has recorded lines for every ranking despite being the only character in the game who can’t complete an area via normal means, also apparently at one point Metal Sonic was going to be an unlockable character for collecting all the medals).

Also ironically enough the 06 demo was actually more polished than the final game (from what I hear they ran into some issues and had to revert to an older, more stable version of the game)

My understanding is that there weren't issues - the improvements were made for the xbox demo and from a developmental perspective the primary SKU was the ps3 version of the game. The xbox port team got extra time to tighten up the demo but as development was still underway on the full game (on ps3) this was just incompatible with the next build of the game.

Meaning all those changes got abandoned because keeping them would entail the dev team shifting from developing on ps3 and porting to xbox 360 to developing on xbox 360 and porting to ps3. Because the dev team was, as mentioned in my last post, 1/4th the size it should have been it's pretty easy to see why they made that call, even if the end result is the weird hosed up situation we got.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's an extremely flawed game down to its bones. You look at something like mach speed and it's like. Even the absolute ceiling for this thing is just a worse version of the daytime stages for Unleashed.

That's how I feel about 06 in general. Even if everything in it had been firing on all cylinders, it's just worse than stuff that had come before or after. It would've required so many rewrites and changes to the design that you're basically asking "if they had another year or two could they have made a completely different game?" And uh...probably not? This is mid-00s Sonic team we're talking about, after all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah but 06 also brought us shadow using chaos control to roundhouse kick silver in the head so who can say whether it's good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

A finished Sonic 06 still wouldn't be as good as either of the Adventure games. It feels like an Adventure remake with all of the charm stripped out. How many aspects unique to 06 are actually good?

I don't care about Soleanna or its history. Fantasy Venice could be done well though, just see Altissia in FFXV.
Everything about Princess Elise is awful and doesn't belong in a Sonic game. Why is he rescuing princesses and kissing them? I don't want any of that 90's Archie poo poo. Also, why does her crying cause the apocalypse?
Eggman's design is horrendous. The only bad Eggman.
Silver's story and gameplay could have been alright if they completely started from scratch. Gravity Rush is a decent example of a game about picking up and throwing objects (although the dive kick is more fun to me).

Also, the hub worlds are just awful. I loved exploring them in SA1, but there's just nothing to find here. Even simple things like where each character lives. Powerups are just bought in a store instead of found in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF2ilf29IsA

This is a decent series on the 3D Sonic games, but I don't agree with him that he finds Sonic 06 better than SA2. The controls in SA2 are my favourite of any 3D platformer, Mario 64 a close second, and that's the difference between a game I play once and a game I play for decades.

MJeff posted:

It's an extremely flawed game down to its bones. You look at something like mach speed and it's like. Even the absolute ceiling for this thing is just a worse version of the daytime stages for Unleashed.

I forgot about the mach speed segments. All they really need is to let you turn in the air and I'd probably enjoy them more than the basic 'switch between 3 lanes to avoid obstacles' sections the boost games use. There's still no reason why Sonic can't stop running or why running into things now hurts him though.

MJeff posted:

That's how I feel about 06 in general. Even if everything in it had been firing on all cylinders, it's just worse than stuff that had come before or after. It would've required so many rewrites and changes to the design that you're basically asking "if they had another year or two could they have made a completely different game?" And uh...probably not? This is mid-00s Sonic team we're talking about, after all.

Well, two years later they did make a completely different game. Although I think work on the Hedgehog engine was started by a separate team before the release of Sonic 06. A company like Nintendo would probably have realised that it would have been better to shelve this game and put the devs on the Unleashed project instead of letting this release in the awful unfinished state that it did and ruin the reputation of the series forever.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 26, 2022