Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Incredibly stupid, how is there no manual release mechanism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

dissss posted:

E. Unrelated to MGs - the local carshare outfit has just had a bunch of Polestar 2s delivered so I've got to have a decent drive in one. I think I'm pretty much sold on getting one of my own, it's a car I can jump into and feel immediately at home in which is not the case for a Model 3 or I5/EV6.
I’m a month into mine and still really enjoying it. So far the only thing I’d change about it is moving the charge port closer to the front, I suck at backing into charging stalls. Tho the 360 camera in the Pilot pack almost entirely compensates for my lack of skill, so!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

There is, falls so naturally to hand that people kept using it instead of the unlabelled buttons. But only on the fronts, not in the rear. Definitely a concern.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeep posted:

Lots of anecdotal evidence that modern MGs have a rust problem, and the 7 year warranty isn't as inclusive as they'd like you to think.

I mean, if an MG isn’t a rusting piece of hot crap is it really an MG?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

There is, falls so naturally to hand that people kept using it instead of the unlabelled buttons. But only on the fronts, not in the rear. Definitely a concern.

The rear doors on the Model X do have a manual release, but you have to pull off the speaker cover to get to it. There was at least one incident (in China, I think) where a Model X caught fire and the people inside burned to death because the electrical system failed and they didn't know where the manual release was.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
idk where charging ports should go but it irritates me that the MME’s is on the front driver side.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

The rear doors on the Model X do have a manual release, but you have to pull off the speaker cover to get to it. There was at least one incident (in China, I think) where a Model X caught fire and the people inside burned to death because the electrical system failed and they didn't know where the manual release was.

Isn't that a Model Y? Not that it matter so much, the point still stands. I've put a glass hammer in the center console, which I think any car should have no matter the door latch tech. Might do the emergency rear door mod on my 3, not decided yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cockmaster posted:

These cars should really come with safety instructions on the back of the seats like you have in airplanes. And the driver should be legally required to do a safety briefing with new passengers not familiar with the car's "safety" features or lack thereof.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Obviously there is a natural release mechanism* already

* burning alive is a form of natural release

mobby_6kl posted:

These cars should really come with safety instructions on the back of the seats like you have in airplanes. And the driver should be legally required to do a safety briefing with new passengers not familiar with the car's "safety" features or lack thereof.

Or you could do the normal engineering best practice thing of not requiring a working electrical system for egress, and not hiding emergency levers behind speaker covers lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Steakandchips posted:

If this dude watched it happen then how did he get it wrong regarding how the window got broken?

https://twitter.com/Mjarchie1/status/1527829546195554304

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Steakandchips posted:

In an emergency simply refer to this handy infographic

https://twitter.com/wtyppod/status/1384565697100066816

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Just like it is "actually impossible" to leave the backseat of a 2 door. I'm currently posting from the back seat of a Ford ZX2 I have been trapped in since 2001.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My EV just has handles

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Is there some sort of emergency release mechanism in the back seat of regular cars? On every car I've owned, there's some sort of switch or lever that prevents the back seat passenger from opening the door. It's usually been called the "child safety lock".

bird with big dick posted:

Just like it is "actually impossible" to leave the backseat of a 2 door.

Yeah, or this. Or getting out of the rearmost seat of a Toyota Sequoia. I don't get what the big freakout is, there are all kinds of cars with seats that don't have openable doors right next to them.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 21, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

Is there some sort of emergency release mechanism in the back seat of regular cars? On every car I've owned, there's some sort of switch or lever that prevents the back seat passenger from opening the door. It's usually been called the "child safety lock".

Sure, but let a fellow Tesla owner spell out some theoretical odds here. There are many ways of dying in a car fire for a rear seat passenger, once the front seat people are incapacitated. One of them involves being in the rear seat trapped by mechanical child locks. Another is the fire first disabling the electronic doors, trapping you inside. A Tesla has both child locks and electronic door switches, so both things are possible. Given the vast amount of cars on the road and vast amount of weird poo poo happening, the dice gets rolled so many times that either case is bound to happen many times. Well in that death lottery, Tesla has two tickets. Perhaps other cars have more failure modes and have five tickets, but it would be better with one ticket instead of two, even if it only happens to a handful of people in the lifetime of the model.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Just like it is "actually impossible" to leave the backseat of a 2 door. I'm currently posting from the back seat of a Ford ZX2 I have been trapped in since 2001.

It's not "literally impossible" but in one case it's more complicated because of the inherent design of only having two doors, and in another it's for no loving reason.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cruft posted:

Yeah, or this. Or getting out of the rearmost seat of a Toyota Sequoia. I don't get what the big freakout is, there are all kinds of cars with seats that don't have openable doors right next to them.

A) Engaging the child safety lock is an active decision taken by the owner. Most people never need them, only parents of kids who love to play with the door handles while you're driving. Also, the exterior handle is still connected mechanically to the latch.

B) Minivans, 3-row SUVs, and 2-door sedans have seats that are designed to easily swing out of the way with an easy to find handle, or simply have an open path from the rear to the door. A Model 3/Y would require slithering over the center console like a spelunker.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Ola posted:

Isn't that a Model Y? Not that it matter so much, the point still stands. I've put a glass hammer in the center console, which I think any car should have no matter the door latch tech. Might do the emergency rear door mod on my 3, not decided yet.
Note your glass hammer will not work on newer Teslas because the side windows are also laminated. It will crack the glass but it will not crumble.

Although I don't know how strong the laminate layers actually are, perhaps as long as the outer layer is broken the inner layer will fold over?

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tnEDH1HfD0&t=397s

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 21, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

cruft posted:

Cars usually don't have non-openable doors next to seats though. Coupes have obvious ways for the backseat passengers to egress because that's how they're designed to work all the time. When you're in an emergency situation, it's easy to panic and get tunnel vision about trying to get your door open.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think this is a good argument:

Speleothing posted:

B) Minivans, 3-row SUVs, and 2-door sedans have seats that are designed to easily swing out of the way with an easy to find handle, or simply have an open path from the rear to the door. A Model 3/Y would require slithering over the center console like a spelunker.

(you'll burn in all those conditions)

But I think this is:

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not "literally impossible" but in one case it's more complicated because of the inherent design of only having two doors, and in another it's for no loving reason.

Tesla makes a big deal of trying to be a safe car, and in some areas they do indeed exceed safety standards with excellent engineering. But it seems like they'll only do the pro-safety stuff if it also means tech bros can do more computing. If some subpart would be more safe if tech bros did less computing, well then gently caress you it's staying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

if there's a manual override in the back then how do you keep your toddler from activating it and flinging himself out the open door into the grill of an oncoming semi?

Maybe there could be some sort of Captcha you need to do to activate the manual release.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

if there's a manual override in the back then how do you keep your toddler from activating it and flinging himself out the open door into the grill of an oncoming semi?

Maybe there could be some sort of Captcha you need to do to activate the manual release.

It should pop up one of those quizzes to judge your age like the leisure suit larry games if you try to open the door without parental permission.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I only know for sure about the Model Y since that’s what I have, but my understanding is that Tesla’s child lock is software-driven; it just disables one or both of the electronic release buttons. The physical latch handle (be that in the map pocket on the rear doors, or directly below the door button on the front doors) bypasses the child lock completely.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Let's not consider solutions to a problem that was solved decades ago, this is not the Tesla way

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
What’s the ‘official’ recommended way of getting out of a passenger vehicle when the doors are obstructed? I’d read you can kick out the windshield with relative ease but maybe going for the side windows would be easier…

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Nuts and Gum posted:

What’s the ‘official’ recommended way of getting out of a passenger vehicle when the doors are obstructed? I’d read you can kick out the windshield with relative ease but maybe going for the side windows would be easier…

Side windows are really hard to break unless you have a sharp piece of ceramic or one of those window breaker tools. I don't know if it's still the case but yeah the front window is usually held in place by a fairly soft adhesive that you can push against from the inside to force it out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

I only know for sure about the Model Y since that’s what I have, but my understanding is that Tesla’s child lock is software-driven; it just disables one or both of the electronic release buttons. The physical latch handle (be that in the map pocket on the rear doors, or directly below the door button on the front doors) bypasses the child lock completely.

Is this actually reachable now? So far it's only been a mechanical thing inside the door you have to make a mod to reach, not something you could actually use on a stock car.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Squibbles posted:

In an emergency simply refer to this handy infographic

https://twitter.com/wtyppod/status/1384565697100066816

holy poo poo lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
While we’re all on the subject of everybody’s favorite EV company, did anybody catch the Hulu/FX/NYT documentary last night?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/16/NYT-Presents/elon-musk-tesla-autopilot.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Squibbles posted:

It should pop up one of those quizzes to judge your age like the leisure suit larry games if you try to open the door without parental permission.
Just a few days ago there was a "funny picture" making the rounds of an age check on some kiosk or something where the question was "what's a VCR". So I imagine somtehing like that, Tesla just needs to add screens into the rear doors like in the 7 series:

Indiana_Krom posted:

Note your glass hammer will not work on newer Teslas because the side windows are also laminated. It will crack the glass but it will not crumble.

Although I don't know how strong the laminate layers actually are, perhaps as long as the outer layer is broken the inner layer will fold over?

Edit:

I don't think we have to worry about that too much if it's anything like ther bulletproof glass in the Cybertruck

And another dunk on Tesla, I just saw this article on arstechnica:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/05/new-bluetooth-hack-can-unlock-your-tesla-and-all-kinds-of-other-devices/

The car in question is a Tesla, I guess they didn't have the right clipart.

It's funny becaues, again, this was a known attack on various keyless systems before and was dealt with by checking the response latency which would pretty much eliminate forwarding the data over internet or any significant distance. Of course Tesla had to use BTLE instead which was never designed for the purpose and here we are.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Ola posted:

Is this actually reachable now? So far it's only been a mechanical thing inside the door you have to make a mod to reach, not something you could actually use on a stock car.

It’s either a handle above the window control or a cord in the bottom of the map pocket. Other models might be different, but it’s never not been reachable on the Y.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think we have to worry about that too much if it's anything like ther bulletproof glass in the Cybertruck

Note that while the glass was broken, the steel bearing still didn't go through (it fell to the ground outside the cybertruck). So it is the same problem: you can break the window but still not be able to get through it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Indiana_Krom posted:

Edit:

god drat that is scary glass in a tesla

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1528034818415595520

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is Rivian going to put a Max pack into the R1S?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Anybody have recommendations for a replacement type 1 J1772 cable? The one for my dad's volt died, and there's mostly a bunch of no-name stuff around and then pretty much jumps up directly to $400+ type 2. He has no 240v circuit and no real need for one yet anyway.

Maybe try to find a gently used nissan leaf one or similar? Looks like maybe $150-250 in that range which still seems high.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes, I'd recommend a second hand OEM one unless you're willing to forgoe safety standards with the no-name Amazon ones. If you're willing to spend a bit more for more future capability you can get the Tesla OEM adapter for $200 if it's in stock and then a reverse Tesla to J1772 adapter for $150, then can add different plug adapters as needed.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm not sure I'd order a Tesla right now either but good luck finding an EV6/Ioniq 5 you can drive off the lot right now for 50k. FYI autopilot is not "Full Self Driving" Tesla's autopilot isn't really any different than what everyone else is doing with ACC and lane keeping except Tesla is probably doing it better.

FWIW I got an Ioniq 5 a couple weeks ago for MSRP. It probably depends on where you live (this was a dealership in Durham, NC), but the best advice I can give you is to get on the waitlist at every Hyundai dealer in the area. I got calls from a couple dealerships about SELs they had coming in that weren't claimed yet. Nobody has the Limited, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WHERES MY CAR ELONG

I am anxious to give my relatives and acquaintances that I am less fond of the opportunity to die a horrible fiery death in the rear seat.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

WHERES MY CAR ELONG

I am anxious to give my relatives and acquaintances that I am less fond of the opportunity to die a horrible fiery death in the rear seat.

This is the primary reason people buy Teslas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I just did my first long trip in my MYP, 1000 mile round trip from florida to north carolina. 3 adult males, 3 full size suit cases and 3 full sets of golf clubs and everyone had plenty of room. Super charging was a breeze and a nice break in the driving. I think we wound up stopping every 2 1/2 - 3 hours or so on the way back which we did in one shot which was the perfect break time. Had the cruise control set to 75 for most of the trip so probably could've stretched out the stops a little more if we were cruising at 65, but no big deal. All in all a great road trip experience.