Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Some new faces... How will they perform?

"Notice me" -Senpai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i don't know if doing a perfect game of ff4 is the most depraved jrpg act ive ever undertaken but it's probably close

thus ends a year of 'i need something to occupy my hands while listening to podcasts' fodder

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
anyone who thinks pink tails are the beginning and end of that game's obscenities haven't been through the looking glass mask

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Violen posted:

anyone who thinks pink tails are the beginning and end of that game's obscenities haven't been through the looking glass mask

what's wrong with killing 256 deathmasks

it's only 37000 hp and blasting you with the strongest magic in the game

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
*1280 deathmasks

**3840 deathmasks

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
there's like three dozen items in that game with their singular source being an enemy or class of enemy's 1/64 chance drop when there's already a base 1/20 chance of a drop happening at all per enemy kill, and the scenario details can range from being a generous 5-8 of the relevant weak enemy in a common encounter to a 1/64 chance encounter you need a obscure resource to force fights with containing a solo enemy that's arduous as hell to kill and stay healthy for or the even more annoying option of an uncommon encounter you can't force. it's not all 'the elusive mid-tier cast stop on one target offensive item' material either, a lot of it is sick-rear end unique gear or summon acquisition.

ff4a which is my choice of preference makes some of this better and some of it worse with its awkward approach to encounter RNG and the introduction of a lot more items to concern yourself with while you're already playing calculus with ff4's extremely limited inventory space and fat bird bonus inventory space. there's a shitload of blink-and-you'll-miss-your-chance equipment scattered throughout the experience besides so you really need to be attentive to both that and massaging your use of available space as you go, especially any spring cleaning. there's enough give overall to have at least 1 of everything you can't otherwise purchase at endgame and less the things that can't be persisted by endgame or are a one-off part of trading sequences for other unique items but it's close. the biggest grant the new advance material gives are several enemies in its bonus postgame dungeon that give you a 1/6 chance at many of those formerly 1/64 chance drops. that and a permanently available source of the item that forces the rarest encounter in a room.

i recognize this is all baby bullshit in the face of mmos but im not that lost yet

Violen fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 23, 2022

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
a pink tail to trade for adamant armor is actually on the more generous end lol

the reason it's infamous is it's the most rewarding and obscure example with it giving the best chest piece in the game and relying on the rarest drop from an enemy that only shows up in one small side room of the final dungeon in the rarest encounter slot with that drop being a key item you can trade in with an already commonly known sidequest npc, so it got a lot of guide and retrospective play over the years, but at the end of the day it's an encounter you can force every time against 5 of the enemy at once, so even with them being slog enemies in their own right you've got a 1/256 shot at getting a tail per fight

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

I'd make the argument that getting 100% in FFX is worse because it's varied bullshit that requires all of your attention instead of mind numbing bullshit that takes forever

I'm also terminally mmo poisoned though

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that's the real innovation of ffx: it has both

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
nothing in ffx is more sadistic than the lightning towers in x-2 and i'm genuinely shocked they never made it a trophy in the hd collection

i mean these people made getting all of gau's rages an achievement once they know no bounds

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i still think hippaul is crown king though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You aren't a real gamer if you don't get excalibur II

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will never be a real gamer

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shinjobi posted:

It's a lot of work and it doesn't sound very fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If only there was a way for me to earn by playing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Walla posted:

It's a lot of work and it doesn't sound very fun.

If you leave ff9 running for 2 years and 3 months then the clock will reset and you can get it

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

If you leave ff9 running for 2 years and 3 months then the clock will reset and you can get it

I'll have forgotten by then. :)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If Excalibur II is so good why haven't they made an Excalibur III yet?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

If Excalibur II is so good why haven't they made an Excalibur III yet?

They did, it’s called the Excalipoor

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FirstAidKite posted:

Good sega cd games

Time Gal is one of the most hilarious interpretations of an anime art style by 90s western illustrators imaginable, and Road Avenger is amazingly elevated into one of the top tier box arts of all time, well above the original art, even if the game isn't very good

This art's great though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I suck at rhythm games. Time Girl kicked my rear end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tekken is really cool, y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_4Q7UY8Kqk

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:stwoon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shinjobi posted:

:hai:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Time Gal is one of the most hilarious interpretations of an anime art style by 90s western illustrators imaginable, and Road Avenger is amazingly elevated into one of the top tier box arts of all time, well above the original art, even if the game isn't very good

oh that explains a lot about the LP I watched earlier. the jumping noise they used every single time she made any hop, which was constantly, also really was out of place for an anime. it's the cartoon jump sound effect i remember from kid pix and other old mac vaguely educational games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is the best thing I ever saw in my life :lol:

Well, since Ms. Pacman anyway.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
this is makin me want to play some xcom 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

view those photos with this theme playing for maximum value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxv6E1AKkL0

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Cool pictures

I have not played X-com 2 before (Not even sure if I played X-com) and these are so cool and hilarious :D Pale Rider!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also last night I finished FFIX and it was a stunningly beautiful end to an incredibly engaging game. I got extremely emotional (as I have done all the final fantasies I have played thinking about it) as I realised just how much the characters and their trials and storylines had come to really matter to me.

After VII, VIIremake and VIII this one is such a slow burn that really takes its time to build. It is quite calm and fun at the start. Lowkey and low stakes. Then as more is uncovered (multiple ways) the absolutely existence ending horror that unfolds matters because of the setup and how earned it feels. The plot is wild, but the exposition of it so natural that the ramps never feel out of place of forced. Really, really respect the writing and story of the game.

The whole thing has made picking between this and VIII quite difficult for me, which surprises me a lot considering how much I rate VIIremake and how VII does not quite reach VIII and IX.

I need to consider a lot of things, really and breaking them down into categories might allow one to pip the other but they are both so dear to my heart.

Enjoying jRPGs and the final fantasy games has been my favourite revelation of the last year. That I still have so many wonderful games to get through that were never part of the pipeline before is a very good feeling.

Next game: Ocarina of Time. :hai: Maybe I will finally get hooked into the Zeldas and play all the others/make it past the great plateau in Breath of the Wild.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I only recently got to the second disc for FF9 and I'm really enjoying its gentle opening up. I think it has helped that its story and characters haven't really been meme'd as hard as something like FF7, because I genuinely don't know where it's going but it's clearly going to be something big.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
After the stream finished last night I was thinking about how when Zidane and Dagger meet he's just a thief and she's a princess who's never seen the world and he teaches her how to express herself without the trappings of monarchy and he shows her the world and she starts to stand up for herself and claims her own agency and then they split up but he comes back for her and rescues her and they explore new worlds and even get married and she discovers her true origins and the family she never knew while he is confronted with his own purpose and almost breaks down but she rescues him and shows him how much he has to live for and then they save all of existence together but he goes away to provide their enemy companionship while he dies and it looks he sacrifices himself and she goes on to rule but then he comes back to her because they're a team and they will always be together FOREVER :cry::cry::cry:

And then I watched the end of the stream again cause I was too emosh

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bring me my beloved Garnet is probably one of the best moments in a Final Fantasy, or really one of the best in an RPG. God IX was so good, I really need to replay it but the mobile interface is kind of a slight turnoff aesthetically. Maybe I could dig out the Vita…

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i managed to snag an alpha code for Multiversus (off of a very drunk twitch streamer who gave his last code out by having the 15 or so people in chat guess a number 1-10) and im a reindog main now

he's very cute and very fun but it is also the only character in the game who doesn't actually talk so im kinda torn

maybe i'll switch to the iron giant when he's available

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
zidane's shrug and dagger pounding his chest is the cutest moment in any video game

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
bobby corwin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007