Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just give Skaven their unreliability mechanics from tabletop. A full Skaven ranged army fighting a full melee army, should end with both armies being basically destroyed, despite the melee army never even reaching Skaven lines. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

The funniest bit about this is that I think the Skaven weapon teams stack (Ratling, Jezzail, Mortar and Catapults) is actually pretty reliable?

In WHFB (from what I remember):
Jezzails were notorious for actually being reliable, if I remember right they're the same as overloaded plasma (rolling a 1 to hit will hurt you).
Ratling Guns relied on a "push your luck" mechanic so you could just be fine with the gun not firing a whole lot and you'd be good. Basically you rolled a dice for a number of shots, and if you wanted to you could roll again and add that number to the total, but if you ever got a double then something bad would happen (1 and 2 would have the gun just not fire, 3 and 4 would have it shoot a random unit, and 5 and 6 just made it blow up)
Catapults and mortars dropped after I stopped playing back then but:
Catapults are catapults, I swear literally every piece of artillery back then could 'misfire'.
Mortars I have no idea about at all.

In AoS nothing hurts itself unless you decide to overcharge it to make it really strong, and you can't even overcharge Jezzails.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah every single arty piece could misfire and explode itself in tabletop. Bolt thrower? Boom. The other busted thing was cannons were the only ranged in the game to rely on player skill rather than unit skill. No dice. You guess the range between the cannon and the target. So god help you if your dwarf or empire opponent happens to be some kind of engineer in their day job. It killed monsters in the competitive scene. Your elf lord on a dragon would be sniped out of the sky turn one by some rear end in a top hat in a fabulous hat. Extremely warhammery but not conducive to varied builds.

The real victims of random tables were OnG :colbert: My night goblins in 8th were the funnest and shittiest army to ever grace the table.

Damned kids these days, with their sigmarines and their viable goblins.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 22, 2022

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The real victims of random tables were OnG :colbert: My night goblins in 8th were the funnest and shittiest army to ever grace the table.

Well do I have good bad news for you :v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
pretty much every army in AOS is viable except night goblins lol

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

pretty much every army in AOS is viable except night goblins lol

Nooo! They’re the best looking models in aos, that’s sad.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

1)Did they move the button to recruit regiments of renown ? I can't see anything back where it was in 2. Nevermind, it appeared after restarting campaign.
2)If you take all the Kurgath perks for nurglings do they stay strong into the endgame?

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 22, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Panfilo posted:

Looking over at the nice improvements to research for Kislev, I'm thinking Strelsi might be even more overall good late game on account of applying so many more tech buffs than before.

Probably should have renamed Breech Loaders if you were going to apply it to Kossars. Breech Loading bows? Come on lol.

It's their opponents' breeches that they load, as they poo poo their pants in terror at the approaching horde of Kossars.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah every single arty piece could misfire and explode itself in tabletop. Bolt thrower? Boom. The other busted thing was cannons were the only ranged in the game to rely on player skill rather than unit skill. No dice. You guess the range between the cannon and the target. So god help you if your dwarf or empire opponent happens to be some kind of engineer in their day job. It killed monsters in the competitive scene. Your elf lord on a dragon would be sniped out of the sky turn one by some rear end in a top hat in a fabulous hat. Extremely warhammery but not conducive to varied builds.

It varied by edition, but from what I recall the Skaven generally had both worse misfire tables for a large chunk of their equipment, as well as just having less tools to mitigate/prevent them in the first place. So while yeah, a bolt thrower might be able to misfire but it generally wasn't too common and most results of a misfire weren't particularly bad either (typically just fails to fire and possibly can't fire next turn too). On the other hand, a Warp Lightning Cannon misfire was... an extremely bad thing, regardless of what result on the misfire table you got.

Though even Skaven misfire tables paled in comparison to the hilarity of the original Hellcannon misfire table, which included such wonders as "every single caster on the entire battlefield takes a wound that bypasses any sort of armor or ward save." Or just eating its entire crew and now moving towards the closest unit of either side every turn in order to attack them.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Kuiperdolin posted:

2)If you take all the Kurgath perks for nurglings do they stay strong into the endgame?

In battle, sure. For a regenerating tarpit. Autoresolve will sacrifice them first always.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Chucat posted:

The funniest bit about this is that I think the Skaven weapon teams stack (Ratling, Jezzail, Mortar and Catapults) is actually pretty reliable?

In WHFB (from what I remember):
Jezzails were notorious for actually being reliable, if I remember right they're the same as overloaded plasma (rolling a 1 to hit will hurt you).
Ratling Guns relied on a "push your luck" mechanic so you could just be fine with the gun not firing a whole lot and you'd be good. Basically you rolled a dice for a number of shots, and if you wanted to you could roll again and add that number to the total, but if you ever got a double then something bad would happen (1 and 2 would have the gun just not fire, 3 and 4 would have it shoot a random unit, and 5 and 6 just made it blow up)
Catapults and mortars dropped after I stopped playing back then but:
Catapults are catapults, I swear literally every piece of artillery back then could 'misfire'.
Mortars I have no idea about at all.

In AoS nothing hurts itself unless you decide to overcharge it to make it really strong, and you can't even overcharge Jezzails.

Skaven I know were also the only faction in Fantasy that could shoot into a Melee as they did not care about shooting their own guys.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yes, it was the opposite of Total Hams. That, plus steadfast in 8th, plus lords and heroes being able to give their buffs while hiding in the back, unlike every other faction, made skaven absolute hell to play against. Not fun flavourful hell. Just godawful tedium. You watch the skaven player spend 40 minutes a turn rolling shots and removing models, then your turn is just watching the skaven player remove slave after slave as you desperately churn towards their crap that matters, then they shoot you again, on and on. Slaves were straight up the most OP unit in the game. Warhammer tabletop was such a bad game.

6 turns a game. Slaves cost .5 points. The game is 2500 points. Mathematically you cannot delete a powergamed skaven army before the clock runs out even with perfect combat rolls and perfect magic rolls ending one or two or three whole slave units every turn each.

e: and even if you route all the loving slaves there's still ranks upon ranks of stormvermin and clanrats and weapon teams and broke as gently caress hellpits all guarding the bell seer and I'm having tabletop nam flashbacks. purge the rats.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 23, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, it was the opposite of Total Hams. That, plus steadfast in 8th, plus lords and heroes being able to give their buffs while hiding in the back, unlike every other faction, made skaven absolute hell to play against. Not fun flavourful hell. Just godawful tedium. You watch the skaven player spend 40 minutes a turn rolling shots and removing models, then your turn is just watching the skaven player remove slave after slave as you desperately churn towards their crap that matters, then they shoot you again, on and on. Slaves were straight up the most OP unit in the game. Warhammer tabletop was such a bad game.

6 turns a game. Slaves cost .5 points. The game is 2500 points. Mathematically you cannot delete a powergamed skaven army before the clock runs out even with perfect combat rolls and perfect magic rolls ending one or two or three whole slave units every turn each.

e: and even if you route all the loving slaves there's still ranks upon ranks of stormvermin and clanrats and weapon teams and broke as gently caress hellpits all guarding the bell seer and I'm having tabletop nam flashbacks. purge the rats.

So you're saying CA did an excellent job of recreating the tabletop experience of playing against Skaven in game

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Skaven are not that painful in the bideogame.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Skaven in the hands of the AI is one of the rare factions that can be super unpredictable--either it's gonna be 3 stacks of skaven slaves or artillery and gun teams galore. I hated them as dawi because unless you were on it with counter battery fire their artillery and weapons team would inflict massive attrition then you'd lose the army/settlement because it took too long to recover from it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My Wulfrick campaign is getting a bit high-stakes. Karl's dead, which means I only need to get my favour up to trigger the ending, but the dark elves have taken over Ulthuan and decided I'm next. My one stack in L'Anguille (the town outside Couronne) just did three defensive battles in a single turn; the AI has this weird thing where it underestimates my forces and only sends in two stacks at a time, when it could have hit it with four at once if it chose. Wulfrick plus the second army are in the south to knock over Tilea and maybe the Awakening for the tech bonuses, so I've got my third stack and am throwing together #4 to hold off the dark elves. Mass-javelins are incredible. I still only hold the one province in Norsca itself.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Are there any general tips for making settlement battles not horrific slogs where towers mulch a bunch of my units? So far my most successful strategy has been downloading a mod that disables real time building.

Also settlement maps suck so much. So much scenery clutter that blocks LOS and fucks up pathing and makes the narrow spaces even more brain braking for the AI to deal with, all while being loving enormous.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah mod them out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember when we were excited for game 3 to overhaul sieges

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was until CA revealed what they were doing. If they dont do something about them or there is a good reliable way to mod them out I'm just never playing the game again. I still regret buying game 3 and wish I could refund it because I just have zero interest in it anymore.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I hate all settlement fights in TWWH3 all the time whereas sometimes I enjoyed defensive sieges in TWWH2.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I was until CA revealed what they were doing. If they dont do something about them or there is a good reliable way to mod them out I'm just never playing the game again. I still regret buying game 3 and wish I could refund it because I just have zero interest in it anymore.

Right? Can't wait for CA to abandon it in a few months when nobody is playing

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

Right? Can't wait for CA to abandon it in a few months when nobody is playing

thisisbait.gif

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

every once in awhile i notice some game in my library that’s uninstalled has some new mega update that changes it in every way and 50% of the time it!’s GW related so if they are trying to paint that trash…

but also i liked battlefleet gothic 2 and support on that cratered after one bad dlc but realistically everyone will buy chorfs you are just unlucky if you don’t like the game anymore you will still buy hats lol

my favorite thing that I do is buy games on mega sales and then add all the dlc for that established game to the cart because that’s on sale too and then I play it for four hours

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It would be the Chorfiest Timeline if the game got 2 surprise never before played factions on release and then petered out before the blatantly telegraphed first DLC of Chorfs could drop. Its the only reason I have game abandonment listed as 'very unlikely' instead of 'extremely unlikely'

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

thisisbait.gif
That or they think I'm melting down and will soon decrying the ancestors of CA or something. Gotta get that edgy retort in quick!

I might be interested in Chorfs if some other improvements also come along with the DLC. The DLCs by the end of game 2 added tons of free content/fixes/improvements/enhancements/whatever-you-want-to-call-it and really had me believing, and the diplomacy changes and a bunch of other QoL stuff had me excited for 3. But now because game 3 had a worse campaign-racing-against-the-AI mechanic and a bunch of other really bad jank (tech trees are universally rear end, Boris feels undercooked, Kislev's economy, the AI is still stupid and annoying, ect) it has ended up in that same dead zone I have where heavily hyped games like Master of Orion 3, Stardrive, Vermintide 2, and a few others I cant even remember off the top of my head ended up, so I'm checking in on the game's status every once in a while in the hopes it comes back to life but I'm not really willing to try it without some good motivation.

But I'm definitely not worked up about, just kinda meh posting about it because I'm more disappointed than anything. I wanted to do some cool coop stuff with my friends but the game still doesnt work for a couple and the rest have uninstalled, plus IE isnt out yet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 23, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Chad Jihad posted:

It would be the Chorfiest Timeline if the game got 2 surprise never before played factions on release and then petered out before the blatantly telegraphed first DLC of Chorfs could drop. Its the only reason I have game abandonment listed as 'very unlikely' instead of 'extremely unlikely'

That’s not going to happen. The game has sold very well.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

One good thing about the siege overhaul is the mechanics are there for a great system so modders will be able to fix it. I could see some fun with 1-3 unkillable blockers that you're allowed to deploy per battle to cut off some annoying routes and to improve the flow. We know that IE is going to be absolute trash at first so a flexible siege fix like this would allow you to fix the worst maps and the AI can already place blockers. Towers should be very limited, ideally i'd like to create some fixed positions so at most you'd have 3-4 towers a map.

Hopefully they allow modders to introduce caps and rules so you'd be forced to deploy towers and the unkillable blockers during deployment and only be allowed to create the temporary blockers, buffs, and spikes during the actual battle. The other option is custom maps which will be quite the under taking so hopefully creating some easy fixes will allow IE to be playable. My faith in CA to actually fix things and do things right is pretty much gone, it's very clear they bit off more than they can chew and they'll throw alpha garbage at us because they're greedy.

Twigand Berries posted:

every once in awhile i notice some game in my library that’s uninstalled has some new mega update that changes it in every way and 50% of the time it!’s GW related so if they are trying to paint that trash…

but also i liked battlefleet gothic 2 and support on that cratered after one bad dlc but realistically everyone will buy chorfs you are just unlucky if you don’t like the game anymore you will still buy hats lol

my favorite thing that I do is buy games on mega sales and then add all the dlc for that established game to the cart because that’s on sale too and then I play it for four hours
BFG2 was great and to be fair it was a tiny niche GW IP, i always enjoyed BFG and loved how they fleshed out the lore because of that game even though they quickly abandoned TT right after that haha. The good thing that resulted from that is people are 3d printing new models and making custom rules.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Towers would feel much better if the AI didn't seem to be able to rebuild them immediately no matter how often I knocked the fuckers down.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

Towers would feel much better if the AI didn't seem to be able to rebuild them immediately no matter how often I knocked the fuckers down.

Supposedly that got changed in the most recent patch, though I havent tried yet since I've been away

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I distinctly remember thinking/saying "all this new stuff looks interesting and cool but I'm extremely concerned about increasing the complexity of sieges because the AI already couldn't handle the simplified ones", and, well, yeah.

People forget that one of the primary reasons TWW went to the one wall siege format was because it was supposed to paper over the fact that total war AI can't handle full sized cities without short circuiting and shutting down.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

All sieges should just be survival battles in the town square with the walls of a city determining the reinforcement rates from the attacking stack. Let Siege towers let you bring an additional 2x infantry units at the start and a battering ram bring an additional large size unit, both siege engines lower the unit reinforcement timer. Flying units just get to start with the attacker stack regardless.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Supposedly that got changed in the most recent patch, though I havent tried yet since I've been away

It has and it's actually quite good. Being able to fling some furies (or other expendable flyers) or shoot them with missiles and... have that matter, for once, is actually a very nice change.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Gonkish posted:

It has and it's actually quite good. Being able to fling some furies (or other expendable flyers) or shoot them with missiles and... have that matter, for once, is actually a very nice change.

Ya, settlement battles are much less of a pain in the rear end now. Pathing for both shooters and infantry can still be dodgy, but its nowhere near the poo poo show it was before since you're not getting punished every single second. It has also massively increased the value of fliers in general imo, being able to take out select towers lets you control the field a lot better now instead of just hoping they screen some attacks for awhile while you madly rush to cap.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
We don't have anything slated for June, but that doesn't preclude announcements about what will come in Q3, does it? Today they previewed the yearly Skulls for the Skull Throne video game event, and mentioned TWW3. There's a preview image that looks like a Lustria update for Vermintide 2.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/23/warhammer-skulls-returns-on-the-1st-of-june-for-a-sixth-glorious-video-games-festival/

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

We don't have anything slated for June, but that doesn't preclude announcements about what will come in Q3, does it? Today they previewed the yearly Skulls for the Skull Throne video game event, and mentioned TWW3. There's a preview image that looks like a Lustria update for Vermintide 2.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/23/warhammer-skulls-returns-on-the-1st-of-june-for-a-sixth-glorious-video-games-festival/

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That looks like a screenshot of Athel Yenlui, the elf forest ruins level in VT2.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Dr Christmas posted:

there'll probably be some FLC - a lord or something, either someone new or like Tretch tier obscure.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
RIP Helmann Ghorst, so obscure even your niche of "who even is this guy" was usurped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

thanquol will save warhammer 3 yes yessss