Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

My cheapo Black & Decker rice cooker has served me well enough for ~10 years, but I'm ready to upgrade since the nonstick coating is in very rough shape. I may want something nicer as well.
Anyone have any opinion on these options if I don't just run to Target and pick up a basic Aroma?

- Cuckoo Micom, 6C: $95
- Tiger Micom, 5C: $100
- Zojirushi Micom, 5.5C: $132

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

My cheapo Black & Decker rice cooker has served me well enough for ~10 years, but I'm ready to upgrade since the nonstick coating is in very rough shape. I may want something nicer as well.
Anyone have any opinion on these options if I don't just run to Target and pick up a basic Aroma?

- Cuckoo Micom, 6C: $95
- Tiger Micom, 5C: $100
- Zojirushi Micom, 5.5C: $132

Love my zoji and you'll love it too. Maybe look up the cook times as it was a surprise that the zoji wanted 60min (40min on quick mode) to do it's fine work.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

VelociBacon posted:

Love my zoji and you'll love it too. Maybe look up the cook times as it was a surprise that the zoji wanted 60min (40min on quick mode) to do it's fine work.

LOL and if you like brown rice it’s more like a couple hours. IMO it’s the only rice cop that does a decent job at cooking brown rice, but you have to plan ahead of you want to use that feature.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

therobit posted:

IMO it’s the only rice cop that does a decent job at cooking brown rice

ARCAB

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

drat, I’ll look into that. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I’ll keep my old one around for quick cook situations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

drat, I’ll look into that. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I’ll keep my old one around for quick cook situations.

To be honest I run it in 'quick' mode for pretty much any white rice and I can't tell the difference compared to normal mode. I got used to having to start the rice 'earlier' and I barely think about it anymore.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Quick cook is way fast than normal for white rice. I’d say less than half an hour if you are doing 3-4 cups. But on either mode the rice is just better than a normal rice cooker.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I got The Wok by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt and I have to say as informative as it is, I've never cooked a JKLA recipe that was better than "ok". His seasoning ratios always seem to be off. For example I used his "basic meat marinade" yesterday, as well as his smashed cucumber recipe following all of the steps to a T, but his ratio per pound of meat seemed way off and it turned out it was. The end results are pretty bland, and need a lot of extra sauce or seasoning to make enjoyable. The smashed cucumber recipe is especially disappointing considering I used a similar NYT recipe earlier last week that is far superior in nearly every way.

This isn't the first time this has happened. In fact I would say of the 8 or so recipes I've tried from JKLA they all needed heavy modification or seasoning tweaking to get tasting "right". Conversely, following other Asian recipes from the likes of Souped Up Recipes and other resources, these recipes don't require much if any modification and end up tasting spectacular.

I really like his content and I think his technique videos are spot on, I think the wok book as a whole is a great resource for learning the intricacies of wok-based cooking, but I've been routinely disappointed with his recipes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Isn’t the usual Kenji criticism that he uses way too much salt?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
the wok has blurry small pictures and is laid out poorly. big disappointment.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Isn’t the usual Kenji criticism that he uses way too much salt?

That's what I'm saying, the seasoning ratio is either way too much or way too little. I've never made something that tasted right without modifying the recipe as written.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

I got The Wok by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt and I have to say as informative as it is, I've never cooked a JKLA recipe that was better than "ok". His seasoning ratios always seem to be off. For example I used his "basic meat marinade" yesterday, as well as his smashed cucumber recipe following all of the steps to a T, but his ratio per pound of meat seemed way off and it turned out it was. The end results are pretty bland, and need a lot of extra sauce or seasoning to make enjoyable. The smashed cucumber recipe is especially disappointing considering I used a similar NYT recipe earlier last week that is far superior in nearly every way.

This isn't the first time this has happened. In fact I would say of the 8 or so recipes I've tried from JKLA they all needed heavy modification or seasoning tweaking to get tasting "right". Conversely, following other Asian recipes from the likes of Souped Up Recipes and other resources, these recipes don't require much if any modification and end up tasting spectacular.

I really like his content and I think his technique videos are spot on, I think the wok book as a whole is a great resource for learning the intricacies of wok-based cooking, but I've been routinely disappointed with his recipes.

Sorry but do you have the NYT cuc recipe handy?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry but do you have the NYT cuc recipe handy?

I gotchu buddy. I also add about a teaspoon of white pepper powder

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's the webpage link for anyone wanting to save it to a digital recipe box: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017629-chinese-smashed-cucumbers-with-sesame-oil-and-garlic

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Thank you.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there a reason the ninja creami says to freeze things for 24 hours instead of like, overnight? Do frozen things get somehow more frozen the longer they're frozen?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Things can be cooled to temperatures lower than their freezing point, and when you're going to mechanically lathe them with a high-speed rotary blade you want that so your poo poo remains frozen while you dump a shitload of mechanical energy into it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Clark Nova posted:

this is the life, right up until you want some rice to go with a pressure cooker dish :argh:

The solution is having multiple pressure cookers

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Steve Yun posted:

The solution is having multiple pressure cookers

This is not a joke. Right now my 3qt is basically a dedicated rice cooker

The pain of cleaning it is the reason I asked where to get a cheap zojirushi

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SubG posted:

Things can be cooled to temperatures lower than their freezing point, and when you're going to mechanically lathe them with a high-speed rotary blade you want that so your poo poo remains frozen while you dump a shitload of mechanical energy into it.

Also a lot of home freezers aren't that good, etc. so they're being cautious. The recommended temp range is -7-9F and I've hit that at 8 hours for some bases, depending on composition, starting temp, etc.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What should I look for when trying to find good oven trays and racks? I'm looking for them in a variety of sizes for home use, don't care if they're non-stick, want them to have racks that fit them appropriately, and trays that are a decent thickness - not flimsy and thin.

Are there particular brands I should be looking at? Or certain characteristis of the alphabet-soup branded ones on Amazon (UK)?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a reason the ninja creami says to freeze things for 24 hours instead of like, overnight? Do frozen things get somehow more frozen the longer they're frozen?

I'll tell you tomorrow :v:

In this case, overnight will be at least 17 hours from now

Only limit of this: I'm using xanthan, locust bean gum, and lecithin in a gelato so might not apply to traditional ice cream recipes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cool, looking forward to the results!

In other creami research I found this reddit thread where the OP said you don't actually need to make a custard if you're using the creami, just whisk the egg yolks in and freeze: https://www.reddit.com/r/icecreamery/comments/sf0ysr/ninja_creami_experiment_7_is_a_custard_really/

I tried it the other day with a batch of matcha ice cream and it tastes delicious and the texture is great. In this specific case I probably should have made the custard anyway since matcha doesn't mix into cold liquid for poo poo, but it's nice to know for the future.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

AnonSpore posted:

Cool, looking forward to the results!

In other creami research I found this reddit thread where the OP said you don't actually need to make a custard if you're using the creami, just whisk the egg yolks in and freeze: https://www.reddit.com/r/icecreamery/comments/sf0ysr/ninja_creami_experiment_7_is_a_custard_really/

I tried it the other day with a batch of matcha ice cream and it tastes delicious and the texture is great. In this specific case I probably should have made the custard anyway since matcha doesn't mix into cold liquid for poo poo, but it's nice to know for the future.

Maybe a stupid question, but aren’t the eggs raw if you do this? I’ve eaten my share of cookie dough and no regrets there, but just curious.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nwin posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but aren’t the eggs raw if you do this? I’ve eaten my share of cookie dough and no regrets there, but just curious.
If you're concerned about salmonella you could buy pasteurized eggs or pasteurize them yourself with an immersion circulator.

I've seen recipes for normal ice cream that just use raw egg yolks rather than heating the base to make a custard too though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mystes posted:

If you're concerned about salmonella you could buy pasteurized eggs or pasteurize them yourself with an immersion circulator.

I've seen recipes for normal ice cream that just use raw egg yolks rather than heating the base to make a custard too though.

Yeah forget it-my brains broken.

Somehow I was justifying cookie dough because I cook the dough EVENTUALLY, where I couldn’t wrap my head around this since the eggs never get cooked.

Fact remains that you’re still eating raw eggs regardless of if the dough gets cooked later. I need a nap.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Idk if the Creami can handle Philadelphia-style ice cream, which has no eggs at all, but in normal ice cream makers it's fantastic

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What should I look for when trying to find good oven trays and racks? I'm looking for them in a variety of sizes for home use, don't care if they're non-stick, want them to have racks that fit them appropriately, and trays that are a decent thickness - not flimsy and thin.

Are there particular brands I should be looking at? Or certain characteristis of the alphabet-soup branded ones on Amazon (UK)?
Do you have NordicWare there?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The recipes recommended in the booklet that come with it are actually all for philly style. It was fine but definitely way icier than the kind I made with egg yolks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, for all the new ice cream lathe owners out there: do pacojet recipes work without modification in the new Ninja thing?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That sounds like something sus about the recipe or the way the machine works. Mine have never been icy. What's the cream/milk ratio?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

nordicware aluminum are what i use. i forget what racks i have but just get some halfsheet/quartersheet racks to fit

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

That sounds like something sus about the recipe or the way the machine works. Mine have never been icy. What's the cream/milk ratio?

For 1 pint:
1 tbsp cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk

Whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract, then once smooth whisk in the liquids and pour into the container, freeze for 24 hours then give it a whizz.

SubG posted:

Yeah, for all the new ice cream lathe owners out there: do pacojet recipes work without modification in the new Ninja thing?

I don't know about the pacojet, but I've been doing recipes from The Perfect Scoop and they've all turned out amazing, so it doesn't seem to be like "you must only do creami-approved recipes" or anything. The pacojet recipes I see on their website are skewed a lot more toward milk than the ones I'm seeing in the book, granted.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks for the Nordic Ware suggestion - apparently we do have it here, the vast majority of it seems to be very fancy cake pans but it looks like they do what I'm after too.

Edit: though they do mostly say hand wash only...

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 22, 2022

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I agree, so far everything I've thrown at this thing has come out with a great texture even if some of the flavors need some workshopping

I am pretty impressed by this machine for the price. I think the only thing I can say is I would probably prefer a less aggressive mix-in feature, because a lot of the stuff I've tried so far just basically vaporizes into the base

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

amaguri posted:

I am pretty impressed by this machine for the price. I think the only thing I can say is I would probably prefer a less aggressive mix-in feature, because a lot of the stuff I've tried so far just basically vaporizes into the base

The mix in setting is def more DQ Blizzard than “ice cream with stuff stirred in”

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Thanks for the Nordic Ware suggestion - apparently we do have it here, the vast majority of it seems to be very fancy cake pans but it looks like they do what I'm after too.

Edit: though they do mostly say hand wash only...

Basically any 100% aluminum product can’t go in the dishwasher due to risk of electroplating. This also applies to things like ice cream scoops, cheese graters, etc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Brother Tadger posted:

Basically any 100% aluminum product can’t go in the dishwasher due to risk of electroplating. This also applies to things like ice cream scoops, cheese graters, etc.

Huh, I never knew why you couldn't just run that stuff through the dishwasher. Nonissue for me based on habit, but good to know. Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since this thread is Creami central…

Can I just make a standard 4/1/1 anglaise as an ice cream base or do I need to adjust since it’s gonna be frozen?

Want to make a peach/habanero ice cream and trying to figure out what base recipe I want to use.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Since this thread is Creami central…

Can I just make a standard 4/1/1 anglaise as an ice cream base or do I need to adjust since it’s gonna be frozen?

Want to make a peach/habanero ice cream and trying to figure out what base recipe I want to use.

my experience so far is that pretty much everything with a reasonable amount of fat and sugar has turned out very good (like "add sugar to half and half until it tastes sweet enough" produced a perfectly good base lol). no idea what's optimal but i bet it'd work fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

For 1 pint:
1 tbsp cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk

Whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract, then once smooth whisk in the liquids and pour into the container, freeze for 24 hours then give it a whizz.

I don't know about the pacojet, but I've been doing recipes from The Perfect Scoop and they've all turned out amazing, so it doesn't seem to be like "you must only do creami-approved recipes" or anything. The pacojet recipes I see on their website are skewed a lot more toward milk than the ones I'm seeing in the book, granted.
Mine is the Serious Eats one that has 2 c cream, 1 c whole milk, 3/4 c sugar. And no cream cheese! I've tinkered the fat ratio down, but I think it's still more than yours. I'm not 100% on what cream cheese would do physically, though. Although I'm sure that using whipped when it calls for brick, or vice versa, would gently caress it up. Want to experiment with the SE base and see if that's icy? My notes are handwritten, stupidly, but I can post my ratios when I get back in a week or so.