Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Major Operation posted:

I bought an Asheville Music Tools Analoger ADG-1 a few months ago. It is taking a bit of playing to get some idea of what I want to do with it, but it sounds amazing. I got convinced to buy it by this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rd-lUh2gGg

Posting now as these things are infrequently available, but it looks like a new run is coming out this week. They are going to be available through the AMT website on Friday (5/20) at noon eastern, but I think some are available at dealer websites already. I ordered mine through Heyday Music, a music store actually in Asheville.
https://www.ashevillemusictools.com/products/adg-1

The significance of Asheville in this context is that Moog is based there, and the engineer for AMT supposedly worked on some of their recent delays. I believe those are pretty well regarded now.

Totally unrelated: I went to Asheville on vacation a few years ago and there was a busker singing and playing a drum kit. I saw him at various places and times while I was there. He was playing/singing "Jammin" by Marley every time I saw him.

Asheville also has Makenoise, right? Never been but I think of them as the Portland of the east coast for that reason. So Asheville Music Tools or something seems almost inevitable.

Very cool stuff, their (Moog's) pedals are probably my favorite thing they do. Wish it was like $100... but I mean beats the hell out of the originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

JamesKPolk posted:

Asheville also has Makenoise, right? Never been but I think of them as the Portland of the east coast for that reason. So Asheville Music Tools or something seems almost inevitable.

Very cool stuff, their (Moog's) pedals are probably my favorite thing they do. Wish it was like $100... but I mean beats the hell out of the originals.

When I was there I saw several "Keep Asheville Weird" signs in shop windows and bumper stickers on cars. Walking down a side street I saw a chalkboard sign espousing the benefits of organic bras. It also felt like a tourist trap, though.

I found this pedal when I was looking around for delays using the Xvive MN3005 BBD reproductions. The ADG-1 has two of them, and I think some Chase Bliss and EHX Memory Man pedals have either two or four of them as well. Xvive also made some delay pedals for a while, but they might have been discontinued.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Major Operation posted:

When I was there I saw several "Keep Asheville Weird" signs in shop windows and bumper stickers on cars. Walking down a side street I saw a chalkboard sign espousing the benefits of organic bras.It also felt like a tourist trap, though.

I found this pedal when I was looking around for delays using the Xvive MN3005 BBD reproductions. The ADG-1 has two of them, and I think some Chase Bliss and EHX Memory Man pedals have either two or four of them as well. Xvive also made some delay pedals for a while, but they might have been discontinued.

Hah, I meant in terms of the local music electronics industry, but yep....

Xvive is kind of a similar story, I think their 3005 repro was their first product? I found out about them getting the clones of the perkin elmer vactrols that they do now for a Buchla clone.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Not "gear" but decoration, which could also be said of a lot of the guitars I have. ShopGoodwill had a group of 11" x 14" framed pics that was dirt cheap

Bing says this is Melissa Manchester, and I would agree. Google says it's a picture frame.

Harry Chapin

Comedian Robert Klein

Springsteen

A very young Bonnie Raitt

Chuck just found out I'm going to hang this in the bathroom over the toilet.

widefault fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 21, 2022

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Worth it just for the Springsteen and Bonnie Raitt pictures, they're great!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love Springsteen’s beanie era

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I love Springsteen’s beanie era

I was not aware that big Bruce invented the modern hipster look.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Bruce looks like he should be playing hackey sack and bumming smokes while reeking of patchouli.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't recall who was really into parkers but one just came up on my Facebook for $500. I know nothing about them but I assume a p38 isn't one of their high end models.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Leviathan by Dirt Monger Instruments. Wanted an HM-2 all in one and apparently the Lone Wolf Audio guy is kinda scummy so I didn't want a Left Hand Wrath. Went with this and am not dissapointed. 64 clipping options, 4 band EQ, series/parallel turns the level switch into a clean blend, and you can turn the distortion off and just use the HM-2 EQ.

All for around $200USD. I'm getting my chainsaw on! Plus you can't beat that art.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Leviathan by Dirt Monger Instruments. Wanted an HM-2 all in one and apparently the Lone Wolf Audio guy is kinda scummy so I didn't want a Left Hand Wrath. Went with this and am not dissapointed. 64 clipping options, 4 band EQ, series/parallel turns the level switch into a clean blend, and you can turn the distortion off and just use the HM-2 EQ.

All for around $200USD. I'm getting my chainsaw on! Plus you can't beat that art.

Nice! I've been trying to buy more Canadian made gear lately and Dirt Monger Instruments is one of the pedal builders I regularly check out. They had a fuzz pedal (I think it was a clone of the Boss FZ-2) that had a picture of Dr. Steve Brule on the enclosure, I regret not buying that when I had the chance.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

Wow, I'd love to run a synth or drums through this. Making me wish they had a stereo model.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Kvlt! posted:

Wanted an HM-2 all in one and apparently the Lone Wolf Audio guy is kinda scummy so I didn't want a Left Hand Wrath.

I didn't know anything about this guy but one of the first search results on google for "Lone Wolf Audio" is a video talking about how much he sucks with hundreds of comments that are basically "yeah gently caress Joe" :lmao:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Kvlt! posted:

Leviathan by Dirt Monger Instruments.

That looks awesome! Enjoy that, what a cool pedal.

I'll post picks around next weekend when they arrive but I'm getting a pair of Bogner pedals. Ecstacy Blue and Uberschall. That Orange 60W I posted about earlier loves pedals, and I'm looking forward to doing my thing with these two. Kinda starting up a little collection again, it's nice pals :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks again for the love shown on my previous YouTube video :). I assure you that I won't just plug my videos in this thread, however these videos are 100% directly related to gear. I figured it was an appropriate spot to post about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab12ukki7lM

I've got a modest pedal collection hovering around 50 pedals. I like pedals. They're lots of fun. However figuring out specifically what they do, especially compared to other pedals can be tricky.

Looking up demos and comparing demos can also be tricky. Often in different demos, people are playing different guitars, different amps, different settings, different cabs, different...everything. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's gone on some massive rabbit hole to figure out which pedal is right for me, only to end up MORE confused than I started off with.

So I've put together this Pedal Gauntlet. I recorded a bunch of DIs with a bunch of different guitars. Those DIs will be re-amped through the same amps, running into a Mesa V30 4x12, mic'd up with an Sm57. It might not show the pedals in the BEST light, but hopefully it shows them in an accurate light. Also, I'm assuming we all know\understand how Marshalls, Fenders, V30s and SM57s sound. If nothing else, hopefully using these common points of reference will be a really useful point of reference.

Full explanation of how it works is in the video above, but I'm launching my demos today with 5 different overdrive pedals. Hope you find it useful and helpful!

Maxon OD808:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqJHn1rKhI

Fulltone OCD V1.4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAamWq9zHII

Boss SD-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNa000fChH4

J Rockett Archer Gold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AikRVRlKEqQ

Paul Cochrane Timmy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5lN9qLWL-o

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

You're hard at work my man, wish you good fortune in building something off your efforts here because I can see the passion and care quite clearly.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

H13 posted:

Looking up demos and comparing demos can also be tricky. Often in different demos, people are playing different guitars, different amps, different settings, different cabs, different...everything. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's gone on some massive rabbit hole to figure out which pedal is right for me, only to end up MORE confused than I started off with.

I haven't seen anyone mention this since it was launched a few years back but might be of some interest. Thomann has made a bunch of pedals available over the internet (https://www.thomann.de/gb/stompenberg_devices.html) with sample audio and the ability to upload audio/play live.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Boody posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention this since it was launched a few years back but might be of some interest. Thomann has made a bunch of pedals available over the internet (https://www.thomann.de/gb/stompenberg_devices.html) with sample audio and the ability to upload audio/play live.

this is mindblowingly cool. holy poo poo

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

H13 posted:

Thanks again for the love shown on my previous YouTube video :). I assure you that I won't just plug my videos in this thread, however these videos are 100% directly related to gear. I figured it was an appropriate spot to post about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab12ukki7lM

I've got a modest pedal collection hovering around 50 pedals. I like pedals. They're lots of fun. However figuring out specifically what they do, especially compared to other pedals can be tricky.

So I've put together this Pedal Gauntlet. I recorded a bunch of DIs with a bunch of different guitars. Those DIs will be re-amped through the same amps, running into a Mesa V30 4x12, mic'd up with an Sm57. It might not show the pedals in the BEST light, but hopefully it shows them in an accurate light. Also, I'm assuming we all know\understand how Marshalls, Fenders, V30s and SM57s sound. If nothing else, hopefully using these common points of reference will be a really useful point of reference.

Full explanation of how it works is in the video above, but I'm launching my demos today with 5 different overdrive pedals. Hope you find it useful and helpful!

Maxon OD808:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqJHn1rKhI

Fulltone OCD V1.4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAamWq9zHII

Boss SD-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNa000fChH4

J Rockett Archer Gold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AikRVRlKEqQ

Paul Cochrane Timmy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5lN9qLWL-o

This is a cool idea and the videos are good!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It is awesome work!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thank you kindly again for all your kind words and support :)

Creating the template for those videos was low-key a nightmare. I had every basic technical issue that a wannabe YouTuber is gonna have! So I'm thrilled that it all worked :)

Boody posted:

Okay, this is loving awesome.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Thrift store find of the day, and with a fun mystery attached! Chet Atkins signature…something or other Epiphone electric classical guitar, grabbed it on half off day so it was relatively inexpensive and the only examples of it I’ve found online go for about five times what I paid for it at least. Luckily the price wiped right off with a clean towel, didn’t even need to put anything on it, and apart from the broken string and needing a new battery it plays like a dream.

The fun part is the best match I found was a listing for one on eBay sold for an unknown offer on a buy it now price. Looking at the pics on eBay I saw the same kind of strings, same markings, same kind of QC sticker, same…mysterious dent in the headstock? Same serial number??? Exact same string winding on the five remaining strings????? Sold about two weeks ago from halfway across the country?????????

It was this. Exact. Guitar. This thing has had a hell of a time over the last few weeks. It came with what seemed like a new case, a strap that won’t work with a classical because it only has one strap peg, and a neatly packaged pick, none of which were in the listing so I have to assume they were bought afterwards. Between all that and the broken string, I’m guessing that this was an attempt at a gift that failed spectacularly, but it’s hard to be sure.

Here’s hoping my random message to the eBay seller nets me an answer from the buyer, because there’s a story behind this sucker, and I bet it’s delicious.

that or it was stolen lmao but i hope not, donating stolen goods to a thrift store seems like a pointless way to fence poo poo anyway

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 31, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dewgy posted:

Thrift store find of the day, and with a fun mystery attached! Chet Atkins signature…something or other Epiphone electric classical guitar, grabbed it on half off day so it was relatively inexpensive and the only examples of it I’ve found online go for about five times what I paid for it at least. Luckily the price wiped right off with a clean towel, didn’t even need to put anything on it, and apart from the broken string and needing a new battery it plays like a dream.

The fun part is the best match I found was a listing for one on eBay sold for an unknown offer on a buy it now price. Looking at the pics on eBay I saw the same kind of strings, same markings, same kind of QC sticker, same…mysterious dent in the headstock? Same serial number??? Exact same string winding on the five remaining strings????? Sold about two weeks ago from halfway across the country?????????

It was this. Exact. Guitar. This thing has had a hell of a time over the last few weeks. It came with what seemed like a new case, a strap that won’t work with a classical because it only has one strap peg, and a neatly packaged pick, none of which were in the listing so I have to assume they were bought afterwards. Between all that and the broken string, I’m guessing that this was an attempt at a gift that failed spectacularly, but it’s hard to be sure.

Here’s hoping my random message to the eBay seller nets me an answer from the buyer, because there’s a story behind this sucker, and I bet it’s delicious.

that or it was stolen lmao but i hope not, donating stolen goods to a thrift store seems like a pointless way to fence poo poo anyway

That's fricking dreamy.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Had my first quarterly bonus ever come in so...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dewgy posted:

Man that’s dope. Cool guitar

Captain Splendid posted:

Had my first quarterly bonus ever come in so...

Hell yeah. Soul Food is my favorite OD

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

soul food is the first pedal I bought, on recommendation of this thread. totally delivers

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Getting an MXR EVH 5150 Overdrive and an Earthquaker Palisades. I should be able to post some pics up late this week or this weekend when things get in. I'll be glad to have a little pack of pedals once more :) Only thing I'm missing now is something good and fuzzy, and maybe a reverb.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Getting an MXR EVH 5150 Overdrive and an Earthquaker Palisades. I should be able to post some pics up late this week or this weekend when things get in. I'll be glad to have a little pack of pedals once more :) Only thing I'm missing now is something good and fuzzy, and maybe a reverb.

My favourite fuzz at the moment is a Coloursound Tonebender:
https://www.coda-effects.com/2015/10/vintage-colorsound-supa-tonebender-1973.html

(Obviously don't buy a stupid expensive original one. All the clones are magic)

Imagine a big muff, which has a bit more mids, is a TINY bit spittier, but will clean up like a fuzz face (albeit a bit bassy and fluffy with the cleanup)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Soul Food, Muff, Palisades, EVH 5150 OD, all loving amazing pedals. For fuzz there's some lovely options.

I am also a huge Tonebender fan, and there's a billion clones out there for all tastes. I also recommend the MXR La Machine for some Foxx fuzz goodness. Also Caroline Shigeharu whatever that is is loving NOICE. Same as their Olympia. DOD Carcosa is evergreen.

There's too many amazing fuzzes out there!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm a big fan of my Spiral Effects Demhe fuzz which is a slightly tweaked Carcosa, and the Behringer SF300 which is a Boss Hyperfuzz clone with a couple modes to choose from.

My latest acquisition was the Caline Pegasus which is a Klon style overdrive and I like it very much for the $60AUD or so it cost me.

Probably need to stop buying drives now I guess.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

That Mosky EP booster clone you got there ended up being my favorite pedal — a $25, one-knob clean boost just to push the signal into territory my pickups couldn't achieve alone.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I built an EH LPB clone like 20 years ago:corsair:
It's stayed in my pedal chain in one way or another since then. Everyone needs a clean boost pedal even if you aren't a pedal person they can make dead sounding amps come alive.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think that XP booster was like the first pedal I bought explicitly for guitar since the HM-2. It's been on every board I've built since I got it, and it sounds good no matter what else is running. I've had it chained in front of a Timmy, a Tightdrive Pro, several premium Klon clones, some of the real Xotic stuff and a bunch of other boutique drives my buddy has lent me to play with between gigs, and it works well with them all. It even makes modelling amps and solid state stuff like peavey transtubes sound better.

These days I mostly use it as a solo boost with my Dark terror or Katana and the 5 band Joyo EQ as my always on solution. Such a good circuit, I'll probably never take it off my board.

The Pegasus is a pretty worthy drive pedal if you want something that does the "Klon" thing on a budget. It's not an exact copy as it uses different charge pumps (same sort as the TS-9 apparently), but it has the proper transistors and behaves very differently to the Green Rhino, which is a tubescreamer with a few extra tone controls. Build quality seems fine too - I expect it will outlast the Behringer clones.

Can also highly recommend the little monoprice delay if they still make it, which is a digital delay with a darker more analogue voicing, but a fair bit more versatile than the actual BBD next to it, and the little spring reverb, which I think cost me about $20 USD each.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

I built an EH LPB clone like 20 years ago:corsair:
It's stayed in my pedal chain in one way or another since then. Everyone needs a clean boost pedal even if you aren't a pedal person they can make dead sounding amps come alive.

One of the GOAT circuits. I add em to homemade fuzz builds all the time as an output recovery/boost stage. Wicked versatile.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Whilst engaging in some late night reverb therapy, I found a nicely priced mint used minilogue xd. The shipping was listed at quite a steep bit of money, but I figured securely shipping a fairly big keyboard would not be cheap. Just as I was attempting to justify the shipping cost to myself, I noticed the seller was local to me! Synth deal at the local Starbucks saved me 30% off retail.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I tried some pedals in a store today and fell in love with the EQD Hizumitas, which is an Elk BM Sustainar clone (in particular a clone of the specific one owned by Wata from Boris). Elk BM Sustainar was a 1972 Triangle PNP Big Muff clone, boldly just named Big Muff and sold in the same type of enclosure because they could I guess. It just completely ripped, loved the sound in-store, and I think it'll do a great job of scratching my fuzz itch (hey that sounds wrong).

Also got the Ecstacy Blue in today and man I love it, what a great sounding pedal. I like overdriving it with the T-Rex Vulture or Nitros a lot for two flavors of a heavier tone, but it has a lot of range. I'll take a new pic on Friday when I get everything else in and post it, so excited to have pedals to play with again!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 2, 2022

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

B33rChiller posted:

Whilst engaging in some late night reverb therapy, I found a nicely priced mint used minilogue xd. The shipping was listed at quite a steep bit of money, but I figured securely shipping a fairly big keyboard would not be cheap. Just as I was attempting to justify the shipping cost to myself, I noticed the seller was local to me! Synth deal at the local Starbucks saved me 30% off retail.

I love my xd so much. It's really silly of me, but I find myself having to fight the urge to get the desktop module as a second one all the time.

Shift + record will be your best friend. The VCOs can go out of tune as the analog circuitry warms up after powering on. Shift + record will retune the instrument. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already figured out.

The user effects and oscillators you probably already have for the NTS-1 are going to be such a good experience on the xd with things like polyphony, blending with the analog voices, a better display/interface to navigate, and tweakable velocity settings.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

kidfresca posted:

The user effects and oscillators you probably already have for the NTS-1 are going to be such a good experience on the xd with things like polyphony, blending with the analog voices, a better display/interface to navigate, and tweakable velocity settings.

This part really has me excited, as well as the 2 cv inputs I didn't previously know about. I also didn't know the buttons for retuning, so thanks for that!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New 40+ year old guitar day

Made in Korea by Samick Hondo HD-770AB, D means factory USA made DiMarzios, AB is Antique Brown Sunburst, and the HD-770 label says it was made in 1980 because they were HDDCS before then. Ash body, carved ash top, set neck. Only 8 pounds, which I am very happy about. Dinged and dented and scuffed, but everything's there, nothing's broken, neck is straight, frets are mostly good, and the action is low with plenty of bridge adjustment room in both directions. I will probably have to replace the tailpiece and bridge because they were prone to collapse and the tailpiece already looks curved.

Now i'm just pissed I have to go back to work for another 5 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dang. That shore is purty.