Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Keldulas posted:

O'aka taking the save sphere away right in front of you was legitimately hilarious. The fact that the surprise threw you into an encounter immediately because the Guado caught up with you was the icing on the cake.

Edit: I will say that as funny as the episodes are, they kind of drive me nuts. The number of times you have someone down, and you choose to have a character throw a Phoenix Down rather than bring Yuna in to Life them. It's both a waste of the Phoenix Down and denying Yuna the experience that fight.

Buddy you're lucky I think to even phoenix down the KO'd party member. I'm running on 100% instinct and jester energy

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 32 - No Glaring, Either

It's honestly shocking how often the giant flying hell whale manages to sneak up on us. It's honestly kinda shameful.

Auron probably noticed but thought it would be funnier not to tell us. To be fair, he was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

You're unlisted :mad:

Also that's the creepiest Rikku scene in the game, right there. They made a whole extra animation never used again just to have to gesture to her tits and rear end.

e: VVV It's a super weird loving choice that they made other missable primers re-appear here so you can get them all, and then immediately after this they have genuinely missable, irrecoverable primers.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 21, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact, that Al Bhed Primer (vol. 3) is the one that you missed back on the ship from Besaid to Kilika. This is where it turns back up if you missed it then, since that's the only time you ride that particular ship.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
The glare is one of my favourite moments. I considered making it my avatar on this site for a while, before we were graced with the Pokemon Reborn LP.

Danaru posted:

It's honestly shocking how often the giant flying hell whale manages to sneak up on us. It's honestly kinda shameful.

The stupid thing only appears every ten years, largely seems to stick to the ocean, and it's worldwide news when it gets killed. You would really think that people would have the preparations for this poo poo worked out by now, including not building villages/cities right on the waterfront where you would be at the highest risk.

Like, "Alright everyone, Sin is back again. Might want to consider packing up and taking a trip up to the cabin for a few weeks. Maybe put a lookout or two on watch duty for an approaching skyscraper sized whale."

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 21, 2022

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Danaru posted:

Auron probably noticed but thought it would be funnier not to tell us. To be fair, he was right.

Sin just chilling and genuinely being soothed by the song of the fayth is actually a really neat detail, though. It's a pretty small bit of characterization but it still adds something humanizing to the previously mindless apocalypse-monster that none of the flashbacks and anecdotes about pre-Sin Jecht had really done for me.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Cool detail that some people miss, the little city the party is standing in in this episode is the same city on top of Sin. So the party fell and landed on Sin's head.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Psycho Knight posted:

The stupid thing only appears every ten years, largely seems to stick to the ocean, and it's worldwide news when it gets killed. You would really think that people would have the preparations for this poo poo worked out by now, including not building villages/cities right on the waterfront where you would be at the highest risk.

i thought spira was an archipelago but nope, looks like that's basically just besaid, kilika, some place i don't recognize, and random garbage non-locations they just scattered around to fill out the map

however, almost all the cities on the mainland are still on the coast for no good reason

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Psycho Knight posted:

The glare is one of my favourite moments. I considered making it my avatar on this site for a while, before we were graced with the Pokemon Reborn LP.

Like, "Alright everyone, Sin is back again. Might want to consider packing up and taking a trip up to the cabin for a few weeks. Maybe put a lookout or two on watch duty for an approaching skyscraper sized whale."

Sin doesn't appear every ten years. It's always around unless someone kills it to produce a year of pause. Honestly, a year of calm hardly seems worth the effort of all these temples and statues.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

cant cook creole bream posted:

Sin doesn't appear every ten years. It's always around unless someone kills it to produce a year of pause. Honestly, a year of calm hardly seems worth the effort of all these temples and statues.

I was always under the impression that it was 10 years, since that's how long ago Braska defeated it. I had to look this up in the Ultimania, and you're right; apparently Braska's calm never even lasted a year. He beat it and it was back a couple of months later. Also, Braska is apparently only the fourth person to even beat Sin. So in the 1,000 years or so since Sin first appeared, this whole summoner's pilgrimage thing has only accomplished anything 4 times. That is absolutely not worth this whole song and dance. It also makes Spira's summoners/guardians seem incredibly bad at their jobs.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
When are we gonna be able to play Blitzball again? I like watching Dan whip rear end at it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The way I remember it, Braska's Calm is actually longer than usual. Which does bring the question of how there is still anything left on Spira if the giant doom whale has been going on for 1000 years with a couple of pee breaks in between.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Psycho Knight posted:

I was always under the impression that it was 10 years, since that's how long ago Braska defeated it. I had to look this up in the Ultimania, and you're right; apparently Braska's calm never even lasted a year. He beat it and it was back a couple of months later. Also, Braska is apparently only the fourth person to even beat Sin. So in the 1,000 years or so since Sin first appeared, this whole summoner's pilgrimage thing has only accomplished anything 4 times. That is absolutely not worth this whole song and dance. It also makes Spira's summoners/guardians seem incredibly bad at their jobs.

Are you getting this direct from the guide? The various wiki summaries I can find have the sort of inconcsistincy thatnusually comes from several rounds of Telephone.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Are you getting this direct from the guide? The various wiki summaries I can find have the sort of inconcsistincy thatnusually comes from several rounds of Telephone.

This is the correct context. A thousand years of Sin with occasional breathers.
The idea is that everyone wants to live in the delusion that maybe just maybe if they keep doing the same thing, this time it might be different, for some reason and that it just stays dead. It sounds unscientific and naive, but a millennium of religious indoctrination in a theocracy will do that to you.

This current part of the story feels a bit rushed. "And then a wendigo appears, drops them into the frozen lake before Sin picks them up and shuttles them around the world to a random oasis in a desert."
I like the journey in this game, but they might have been able to write that part better.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 21, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I wasn't necesaarily calling it wrong. I just wanted to know if it was direct, because the English-language secondary sources I can access and read felt off.

We have hints in the parts of the game that have been played through to show how Sin can be livable. The Crusaders boast of drawing Sin away from settlements, and Yuna's conversation in Luca suggests that as long as your settlement stays small enough Sin usually leaves it alone.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Gnoman posted:

Yeah, this is from the FFX Ultimania Omega. Despite having it, I've never really read it, because I only started learning Japanese like two and a half years ago.

(Note: This is not a scan from my copy)

The relevant Japanese is the second bullet point next to the 9 you see on the left side, it reads: (ジェクト)を核とする6代目『シン』が、人々の前に出現

Part of this is a little bit spoilerly, so I'll omit part of it: "The 6th Generation of Sin, created from (Jecht), appears in front of people."

This is from the Spira Timeline section. 10 Years ago was Braska beating it, then 9 years ago it showed itself again. Before that, the last time Sin was defeated was like 230 years back.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That does explain why there were so few statues in the temples, which always bugged me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 33 - DOINK

I love the desert

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm glad we got to see the worm soaring majestically through the sky. Good job there.
The game really expects you to use Rikku as your healer here, since this is sort of her storyline and she's even running around on screen. You already have a hoard of like 40 AlBeth medicines.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

I think Wakka's line at that worm fight was "Where's an early bird when you need one?"

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

We said the exact opposite of "dan is stupid for giving Kimahri Steal". I said it was a good idea! :mad:

Also my stupid rear end idea for Black Magic Spheres is to hoard them all until someone finally learns Ultima and then FAPPO everyone knows Ultima.

end of episode edit: people outside Minnesota say oof-dah?! :aaa:

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 21, 2022

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
While Demi is based on current HP and is thus very effective against worms early in the fight, poison is based on max HP and is effective throughout the fight. If you don't have a Poisontouch or Poisonstrike weapon, I believe Bio should be effective.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One of the easiest ways to deal with the giant worms is Bio-Haste-Sleep. As long as you don't disturb the Sleep by attacking, and don't let it wear off, the thing will die very quickly.

The worms also showcase the big downside of Demi - a lot of the stuff worth using it on will have HP high enough to hit the damage cap, making it a lot less useful than it ought to be.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 34 - Steal His Jeans

I wish we got to see Home without it all being on fire, this place looks sick

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hey, remember how Yuna said that Cid is her uncle? Turns out Rikku is her cousin. That's probably also why she became her guardian after like a second.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I want to go back in time and murder whoever thought it would be a cool idea to have a guy yelling I'M ANNOYING, HA over and over in the background of this whole area.

e: actually your interpretation of it is funnier.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 22, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

dan post the picture of squonk (skwonk?)

panda toy pic please and thank you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Here's the tiny lad, he's exactly one handful sized

Danaru fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 22, 2022

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
I feel like some of the dickish design decisions in video games like this (such as easily-missable Al Bhed primers in a location very close to a point-of-no-return--especially cruel given that the game just let you pick up primers you missed earlier while in the desert, so a first-time unspoiled player would have no reason to believe that any primers are permanently missable) are a way to induce people to purchase strategy guides. There must be some sort of kickback the strategy guide publishers are providing to the game companies.

Also, Squonk is precious and I love him.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Squonk's just adorable enough to overlook the fact that you've been leaving out sphere-gridding.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Just Winging It posted:

Squonk's just adorable enough to overlook the fact that you've been leaving out sphere-gridding.

The finger on the monkey's paw curls

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Danaru posted:

The finger on the monkey's paw curls

I already miss blitzball.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Danaru posted:

yes thank you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

GrandmaParty posted:

I already miss blitzball.

God we have like a dozen episodes of backlog now, and it took until the last episode of the last session to finally get Blitzball back. It was hell

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Danaru posted:

Squonk is beautiful, I expect blood to be shed if anything ever happens to him.

Other people's obviously. But lots of it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm fairly certain that the game is actually merciful with regards to the primers and spawns them someone else, if you miss them in a one time location.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm fairly certain that the game is actually merciful with regards to the primers and spawns them someone else, if you miss them in a one time location.

Nope. There's a string of 4 or so in a row right here and if you miss them sucks to be you, try again next save

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, the three in Home, and one in Bevelle are permanently missable; if you don't get them here, you've missed them for good. Any other "missable" ones get dumped in the desert for you to find later, but now we're past the desert.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh. I guess you're right. I remembered that differently.
On the other hand Dan still has those saves. And with these primer-spheres he'd just need to pop over, grab it and save again. It's not one of those missable things which require restarting the game from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The one picked up at the end of the video is a colossal dick move, because not only is it easy to not notice the door on the minimap, the game (as shown in the video) actively prevents you from going into it at first. It is very easy to think that there's no room there. I had to reload multiple times to find it.