Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

Mox and Archer are both violence-aligned

Ah, more sons for Minoru Suzuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Locking in a Despy appearance to challenge for the Pure title seems like really smart business for both these companies.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Pure title really is the best at being able to have the champion lose without looking weak, because it wasn't a pure rules match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pylons posted:

The Pure title really is the best at being able to have the champion lose without looking weak, because it wasn't a pure rules match.

and vice versa. A challenger can lose strong by having the champion just know the rules better than them.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
as someone who stopped watching NJPW about when DOUKI came into the company, I'm stunned by how good this guy has become

I remember him as a goon with a pipe whose mere existence in NJ was something of a joke, and now he's going toe to toe with robbie eagles (among others)

really really cool to watch

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Turns out wrestling with the likes of Okada, Tanahashi, Ibushi, Suzuki and ZSJ will really raise your game, who knew?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DOUKI's development over the past few years has been one of my favourite things to watch. He has such a great story. Suzuki-gun seemingly collectively deciding this is the year they're getting DOUKI over has been lovely too. If you haven't seen DOUKI vs Taichi from TakaTaichiMania, I absolutely recommend it. It's a big cooperative effort from Taichi, Milano Collection AT, Mima Shimoda and Miho Abe to get a massively pro-Taichi crowd behind DOUKI and it loving worked perfectly. It was the first time in my life where I was actively rooting against Taichi. My MOTY.

Speaking of trying to get guys over, Desperado is encouraging Yuta to tweet out his feelings to connect with the fans.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Douki was the one guy I would have been happy with Hash and the Boys losing the 6-man titles to

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm certain Despy's gonna drop points to DOUKI as well and it's gonna own

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

DOUKI's development over the past few years has been one of my favourite things to watch. He has such a great story. Suzuki-gun seemingly collectively deciding this is the year they're getting DOUKI over has been lovely too. If you haven't seen DOUKI vs Taichi from TakaTaichiMania, I absolutely recommend it. It's a big cooperative effort from Taichi, Milano Collection AT, Mima Shimoda and Miho Abe to get a massively pro-Taichi crowd behind DOUKI and it loving worked perfectly. It was the first time in my life where I was actively rooting against Taichi. My MOTY.

Speaking of trying to get guys over, Desperado is encouraging Yuta to tweet out his feelings to connect with the fans.

that sounds delightful, thanks for the recommendation! I'm also very happy to hear that Despy is in Yuta's corner (likewise as I admittedly might've not been watching BOSJ were it not for his involvement), I just finished watching their contest and uhhhhhhh I'm pretty sure I don't need to go back in this thread to confirm that this was one of the most incredible random-rear end bracket matches ever

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 22, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm pretty sure Desperado is getting drunk with the foreigners right now because he just randomly tweeted out an abridged Ace Austin life story

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
imo it seems like douki was always good, but he was brought in as a loss pole for suzuki-gun with a funny name and shindy look so everyone didnt think anything about him

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
No, DOUKI was pretty rough at first. Hustling the minor Mexico indies doesn't give you a chance to grow much

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

off/travel day tomorrow and then korakuen tripleshot begins tuesday. all shows from this point forward will be dual block 10 match shows with no multiman tags just like a g1 climax card from a decade ago.

BEST OF THE SUPER Jr. 29
May 24th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

BOSJ A Block Match:Alex Zayne [4] vs. Francisco Akira [2]
BOSJ B Block Match:Titán [0] vs. TJP [2]
BOSJ A Block Match:Ryusuke Taguchi [2] vs. Clark Connors [0]
BOSJ B Block Match:BUSHI [4] vs. Wheeler Yuta [2]
BOSJ A Block Match:YOH [4] vs. Ace Austin [4]
BOSJ B Block Match:DOUKI [2] vs. El Phantasmo [6]
BOSJ B Block Match:Master Wato [0] vs. Robbie Eagles [4]
BOSJ A Block Match:Hiromu Takahashi [6] vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru [0]
BOSJ A Block Match:Taiji Ishimori [6[ vs. SHO [2]
BOSJ B Block Match:El Desperado [6] vs. El Lindaman [4]

BEST OF THE SUPER Jr. 29
May 25th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

BOSJ A Block Match:Ace Austin vs. Alex Zayne
BOSJ B Block Match:BUSHI vs. DOUKI
BOSJ A Block Match:Clark Connors vs. Francisco Akira
BOSJ B Block Match:Titán vs, Wheeler Yuta
BOSJ B Block Match:El Lindaman vs. El Phantasmo
BOSJ A Block Match:Ryusuke Taguchi vs. SHO
BOSJ A Block Match:Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Taiji Ishimori
BOSJ B Block Match:Robbie Eagles vs. TJP
BOSJ B Block Match:Master Wato vs. El Desperado
BOSJ A Block Match:YOH vs. Hiromu Takahashi

BEST OF THE SUPER Jr. 29
May 26th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

BOSJ B Block Match:Master Wato vs. Titán
BOSJ B Block Match:DOUKI vs. TJP
BOSJ A Block Match:Clark Connors vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru
BOSJ A Block Match:Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Alex Zayne
BOSJ A Block Match:YOH vs. Francisco Akira
BOSJ B Block Match:Wheeler Yuta vs. El Lindaman
BOSJ A Block Match:Ace Austin vs. Taiji Ishimori
BOSJ B Block Match:BUSHI vs. El Desperado
BOSJ A Block Match:Hiromu Takahashi vs. SHO
BOSJ B Block Match:Robbie Eagles vs. El Phantasmo

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Really looking forward to Yuta vs. El Lindaman for some reason.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

No, DOUKI was pretty rough at first. Hustling the minor Mexico indies doesn't give you a chance to grow much

The best thing about DOUKI's improvement is that it didn't come at the cost of what made him interesting back then. All his offence still looks wild and unrefined. He just got better at constructing matches.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

He's stopped doing the crazy trust dives except in death matches with Jun Kasai of course

Douki winning a title in Korakuen is gonna be such a good moment and it needs to happen this year either for the 6 man or Jr tag belts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still love that backstage moment early in DOUKI's run where Suzuki is just cackling and basically going,"Look at this loving dirtbag trash-goblin of a wrestler, I love him so much!"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm rewatching some of the shows at double speed to do it faster (with matches that bore me on paper) and it's loving hilarious, tbh.

Also, semi-random thought, how in the ever loving gently caress were we EVER supposed to buy goddamn SHINGO as a Junior?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1528598043821772800?t=JmY-HxU2BINN-DrNzU8fGg&s=19

what

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bad opinion-havers gotta stick together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Manny goddammit :negative:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also, semi-random thought, how in the ever loving gently caress were we EVER supposed to buy goddamn SHINGO as a Junior?

It all seemed to make sense at the time but watching him in there with juniors now it's like,"Ahaha, what the gently caress why is that gym teacher in there beating up teenagers?" and it rules.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

We live in a universe where Bushi has more points than Yoots. This must be corrected.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

quote:

BEST OF THE SUPER Jr. 29
May 26th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

BOSJ B Block Match:Master Wato vs. Titán
BOSJ B Block Match:DOUKI vs. TJP
BOSJ A Block Match:Clark Connors vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru
BOSJ A Block Match:Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Alex Zayne
BOSJ A Block Match:YOH vs. Francisco Akira
BOSJ B Block Match:Wheeler Yuta vs. El Lindaman
BOSJ A Block Match:Ace Austin vs. Taiji Ishimori
BOSJ B Block Match:BUSHI vs. El Desperado
BOSJ A Block Match:Hiromu Takahashi vs. SHO
BOSJ B Block Match:Robbie Eagles vs. El Phantasmo

how the hell is X Division Champion Ace Austin vs IWGP Jr Heavychampion Ishimori 4th from the top under Bushi and Eagles vs ELP?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Eagles and ELP have eternal hatred from Robbie's time in Bullet Club and their matches always rule

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Eagles and ELP have eternal hatred from Robbie's time in Bullet Club and their matches always rule

Doesn't explain Bushi. Bushi sucks and should always be failing. I'm not exactly sure why I hate Bushi so much, all I know is that I do.

Honestly I think I just have always disliked LIJ other than Shingo and Hiromu.

EVIL, Sanada, Naito, and Bushi have all always been totally nothing to me (at best).

Lamuella posted:

We live in a universe where Bushi has more points than Yoots. This must be corrected.

Truly, truly offensive.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BUSHI is so high up the card because El Desperado doesn't work the undercards, brother.

It's actually the lowest down the card Despe is for any of his tournament matches. Even Wato gets a semi-main with Desperado.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Should've read the name of the company that owns New Japan Pro Wrestling, that should explain things

This is BUSHI's Road, baby

I love him. He's completely mid as a wrestler but he has this fascinating goober energy that makes me simultaneously cheer for him to win AND to get his rear end kicked. Also his mask game is amazing.

Always pop for the Bushiroonie.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Yay I get to watch live today! probably won't be able to rest of the week though, but super excited for Lindaman vs Desperado. Good time for Lindaman to go over I think...

Regarding Bushi, he's had some really fun matches in CMLL. In New Japan I don't think he gets chances to work to his strengths so much as he might in a place where he can be a bit more weird in-ring, so sometimes he feels like the Ed Leslie to Naito's Hogan.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Getting ready for the King Of Sports

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Oh dang the opener is just Akira vs Zayne as if that’s not going to be a banger

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Korakuen Hall tonight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thank God Chris is there tonight too.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Korakuen Hall tonight

It’s the Korakuen triple bill this week. In 2019, it was easily the best stretch of the tournament

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
He’s so over :3:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm quite pumped for these korakuen shows

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

looks like a decent sized crowd, hope they can cheer soon

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Ishimori was right, Zayne’s size advantage is ridiculous

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
This match is a fun sprint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is it just me or does it just feel like Akira is missing.... something? I don't know what it is, but I watch his matches and he's clearly talented but something about him just doesn't click with me for whatever reason.