Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Still thinking about it. It was the best. So many times an ending can make or break something. It is always lovely to see an ending enhance the daylights out of something.

Rarity posted:

After the stream finished last night I was thinking about how when Zidane and Dagger meet he's just a thief and she's a princess who's never seen the world and he teaches her how to express herself without the trappings of monarchy and he shows her the world and she starts to stand up for herself and claims her own agency and then they split up but he comes back for her and rescues her and they explore new worlds and even get married and she discovers her true origins and the family she never knew while he is confronted with his own purpose and almost breaks down but she rescues him and shows him how much he has to live for and then they save all of existence together but he goes away to provide their enemy companionship while he dies and it looks he sacrifices himself and she goes on to rule but then he comes back to her because they're a team and they will always be together FOREVER :cry::cry::cry:

And then I watched the end of the stream again cause I was too emosh

Trying to hold it together at the end of incredibly emotional games on stream is always the toughest thing for me :unsmith: Have yet to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drat you're making me really want to go back and finish IX. I think I got to the end of disc 2 about 20 years ago. That'll have to be my next thing after VI.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I got stuck at a boss on ff9 that was a big eye at the top of a staircase but I've lost all context as to how far through that is

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Kerrzhe posted:

i managed to snag an alpha code for Multiversus (off of a very drunk twitch streamer who gave his last code out by having the 15 or so people in chat guess a number 1-10) and im a reindog main now

he's very cute and very fun but it is also the only character in the game who doesn't actually talk so im kinda torn

maybe i'll switch to the iron giant when he's available

I have been playing this as well and it's surprisingly good

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Wait I’m stupid Tom & Jerry dont talk either

Tom does have his hilarious death screams though lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

lmao

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
VG I have a few questions for your playthrough.

1. Did you do the coffee quest
2. Did you get and keep the hammer
3. Did you find all the stellazios
4. Did you get Ark
5. Did you fight Tantarian
6. This isn't a question, I just wanted you to know that in the pre-main-menu cg Lindblum is spelled Lindbulm

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

VG I have a few questions for your playthrough.

1. Did you do the coffee quest
2. Did you get and keep the hammer
3. Did you find all the stellazios
4. Did you get Ark
5. Did you fight Tantarian
6. This isn't a question, I just wanted you to know that in the pre-main-menu cg Lindblum is spelled Lindbulm

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Not sure.
5. Do not think so.
6. I did not know that, but unfortunately my prounounciation of things is so appaling that I probably said that at one point.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ark was the final summon you would have got from Pumice, it's the boss you fought in Oeilvert

Tantarian's the secret boss in Alexandria I forgot to make you fight

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God the ending of FFIX is so good

I've got a lot of VODs to catch up on! I meant to be there to watch the end live but life intervened.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hello Jay Rust if you end up needing more replacement soldiers please consider recruiting me please and thank you

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I would also enjoy being a replacement XCOM soldier Jay Rust if any spaces open up! :D loving the screenshots!!

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Also I have not played a game seriously in quite a while now. With all this current talk of FF IX maybe I'll load it up on the Switch...
Work is really busy lately so I haven't had much time but hopefully things will calm down a bit and I can get into something more substantial than the occasional Piccross.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
final fantasy ix :hai:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got the airship in FFIX last week and have been slowly working thru some side Q’s before jumping back in the story. I’ve never been this far in the game in the many times I’ve tried playing through it since it was released way long ago when I was an 8th grader.

I’m trying to settle on a party while futzing thru side Q’s and I like everyone so much (except Eiko).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wildtortilla posted:

I like everyone so much (except Eiko).

The word precocious met Eiko and was like drat she's too much for me

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Khanstant posted:

oh that explains a lot about the LP I watched earlier. the jumping noise they used every single time she made any hop, which was constantly, also really was out of place for an anime. it's the cartoon jump sound effect i remember from kid pix and other old mac vaguely educational games.
Speaking of the most hilarious interpretations of an anime art style by 90s western illustrators imaginable, behold:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

My favourite "Anime is illegal" cover art is Phantasy Star 2.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe they literally did that because "Every game has a rocket on it, let's do something that'll grab attention at the store."

And considering banjo man is the game's enduring legacy, maybe there was a point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was that it was a small clip out of a much larger piece, and banjo man wasn't originally front and center

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/cecianasta/status/1528785462395080709?s=20&t=GLHZkrNUXu46sivrBCEbMw

Aw dang the ethnicity chart didn't work

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

this is the rare case of the western box being more memorable than the japanese one

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Willo567 posted:

this is the rare case of the western box being more memorable than the japanese one

I wouldn't have anywhere near as much memory of the various Kirby covers if people weren't posting about angry American Kirby every 6 hours in 2007 so they technically qualify too

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

SeXReX posted:

I wouldn't have anywhere near as much memory of the various Kirby covers if people weren't posting about angry American Kirby every 6 hours in 2007 so they technically qualify too

Just in case anyone other than me needs to know: the last angry Kirby game was 2017's forgettable Kirby Battle Royale.
The 3DS Kirby games had angry Kirby on them in Japan too.
Thanks for reading this informative post.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Speaking of the most hilarious interpretations of an anime art style by 90s western illustrators imaginable, behold:

Whizzing Wizard posted:

FirstAidKite has the right idea of posting the different versions. I can see that the American art is… unconventional, but is the og art way better?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Kirby Battle Royale.

100 Kirbys get air dropped onto an island made out of marshmallows.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly, just make a much bigger map and extend Kirby Air Ride City Trial to 100 players

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Port/remake/do a sequel to Air Ride already damnit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FO3:

I went to pick some plant seeds for the native tribes and they farted on me and now I'm tripping balls :okpos:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Enjoy, that game gets weird

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god it's raining Nuka-Cokes

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The world is upside down please send help

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh whoops everything blew up

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Whizzing Wizard posted:

What the characters actually look like:

As hilarious as those interpretations of the Phantasy Star characters are, at least the westernized cover art is actually really good art in its own right, and not the hilariously amateur crap the western Cosmic Fantasy box art is.

Same goes for the SNES Breath of Fire covers which went to EXTREME 90s Comic Book art, but it was pretty well done comic book art.

LawfulWaffle posted:

FirstAidKite has the right idea of posting the different versions. I can see that the American art is… unconventional, but is the og art way better?
The original Phantasy Star II art is really good, weird heel boots aside:

The original Cosmic Fantasy 2 art is generic anime:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Whizzing Wizard posted:

oh holy poo poo those are supposed to be her ears

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Raven has unionized!

https://twitter.com/ninaturner/status/1528823042960412672?s=20&t=86VEgBSrah_48ZzFmuJSZw

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We are sorry to announce the closing of our Raven Software wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004