Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Omori does have a release date of July IIRC, it's just not on the shop for some reason

Ah, makes sense why it's still on my personal sticky for things to pick up, that aren't on my wishlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The kid and I are looking forward to AI 2, and we're slowly working our way through Great Ace Attorney. Other than that I'm busy playing Saturn and Dreamcast games on my RP2+.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i just got a switch lite finally and bought rainworld, only to find it apparently didn't get the huge new dlc that dropped a few months ago? also holy poo poo the font and ui are so small as to be nearly illegible- do they not do any optimization with consideration to this being a handheld system?

not a great first experience with switch ports tbh

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Walla posted:

The kid and I are looking forward to AI 2, and we're slowly working our way through Great Ace Attorney. Other than that I'm busy playing Saturn and Dreamcast games on my RP2+.

I see you're a person of culture

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Double post? Not in Las Vegas!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

free hubcaps posted:

i just got a switch lite finally and bought rainworld, only to find it apparently didn't get the huge new dlc that dropped a few months ago? also holy poo poo the font and ui are so small as to be nearly illegible- do they not do any optimization with consideration to this being a handheld system?

not a great first experience with switch ports tbh

There's a workaround in the system settings to enable screen zoom, but that is an issue with some ports to consider if you only play handheld =/

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

ah awesome. coming back to a nintendo handheld after just playing my vita for so long is a rude awakening in terms of user friendliness

like when I was setting up my switch i tried using my nintendo account from my 3ds and wii but that apparently doesnt work on the switch? it wouldn't even let me recover my account....

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's some weird thing where they have a new type of Nintendo account that supersedes the old Nintendo Network profiles. I think there's a migration tool for your old account on the Nintendo site or something.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Waffle! posted:

There's a workaround in the system settings to enable screen zoom, but that is an issue with some ports to consider if you only play handheld =/

For the longest time I figued that having an adjusted UI for handheld vs TV was just a question of being too expensive/difficult given indie resources.. Everything in game dev is hard, and having a special UI for one platform (esp that you may not even be doing the port for) is just unrealistic.

But at this point, given how many indie games are practically unplayable on the Switch Lite, I almost have to wonder if there's a Nintendo certification rule that forbids treating TV and handheld mode any differently.. :psyduck: Maybe detecting that is a private API that you're not allowed to use?

Has anyone seen any game on the Switch make menus bigger in handheld?

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 22, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's because the devs are lazy OP.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
devs too busy playing nintendo instead of making nintendo you hate to see it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

It's because the devs are lazy OP.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snackmar posted:

probably. witcher 3 maybe

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

XC2 did a lot of gameplay stuff terribly wrong it’s not just the anime

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it’s a thousand times a better game than 1, but people still love that game

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Alan_Shore posted:

I see you're a person of culture

I'm honestly a bit tired of Ace Attorney at the moment, but the kid loves playing it with me. I'm really looking forward to diving into AI 2 and hopefully after that we can move on to something like Fire Emblem or even try out Disco Elysium or something.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s a thousand times a better game than 1, but people still love that game

Both are phenomenal games and I cannot wait for 3!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BisterdDave posted:

Both are phenomenal games and I cannot wait for 3!

I like 1, but it’s combat….isn’t great

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like 1, but it’s combat….isn’t great

I completely agree, 2's combat was much better.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I liked X because it was a very pretty and very stupid game and those two aspects meshed so well together. It was way too ambitious and all the five thousand half-baked gameplay mechanics clashed against each other but then after fifty hours you're cruising the world in your flying mech with your BFF Murderess (a party members whose hobby is murdering) while some cheesy song plays before you get back to the city and its insane tunes to get an entire interstellar species addicted to pizza.

There is no way you could properly remake that game and it honestly deserves to be the final gem stuck to languish on the Wii U in a mostly good way? It's a weird loving game is what I'm saying.

I didn't really like playing it though.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the exploration around the world in X was incredible. still one of my favorites even after BOTW and Elden Ring. It did curse me with its soundtrack though. I still get "I can't hear you, I can't see you" stuck in my head randomly years later, and it's not good

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
X was the Xenoblade I had the most fun with, and the only one I cleared 100%. I hope they make another game more in its style later, an X2 that builds on it would be amazing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

Xenoblade has great art direction and some pretty incredible vistas, but I actually do kinda understand OP's "smeared in Vaseline" comment, there absolutely is some sort of filtering going on in DE and it does hurt the visuals imo. It's something I noticed in the FF7 Remake, too.

Did you play FF7 Remake on PC? I played at launch, and I think it was matching my monitor rate by default. The game said, “Hardware be damned, I am running this at 144 FPS!” Which meant making it look pretty bad with my GTX 1080. I changed the setting to cap it at 60 FPS and it immediately looked much, much better.

It definitely took me a few play sessions to figure out. Fairly certain it has been patched to work as expected.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was looking forward to finishing 13 Sentinels tonight and the final mission feels like the game heard me and decided to purposely make me miserable.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m glad nothing like that will happen to me, since the game I’m playing right now is this thing called “Dungeon Encounters”. Now let me take a big sip of coffee and step onto this “DE” tile—

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ragequit posted:

Did you play FF7 Remake on PC? I played at launch, and I think it was matching my monitor rate by default. The game said, “Hardware be damned, I am running this at 144 FPS!” Which meant making it look pretty bad with my GTX 1080. I changed the setting to cap it at 60 FPS and it immediately looked much, much better.

It definitely took me a few play sessions to figure out. Fairly certain it has been patched to work as expected.
Nope base model PS4. My setup does involve everything being piped through a PC monitor, but the monitor is only 60Hz refresh rate.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

nrook posted:

I’m glad nothing like that will happen to me, since the game I’m playing right now is this thing called “Dungeon Encounters”. Now let me take a big sip of coffee and step onto this “DE” tile—

Is it good? It's on my watchlist!

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah its fun! It's basic and weird but it's exactly what it says it is.

I'd definitely wait for a sale.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Silver Falcon posted:

Which robot is Cornish? Can you spoiler tag their name? I have difficulty differentiating regional British accents but I'd like to get better!

I don't think Jaws is a bad movie, but I don't like it. I'm a marine biologist and to me sharks are friends. Movies like Jaws only serve to further demonize sharks as vicious killers who will eat humans on sight, and cannot be trusted. When in reality very few species of sharks will ever even sometimes attack humans, and most of the time when they do it's a case of mistaken identity. These misconceptions make it very difficult to get legal protections for sharks, because lawmakers have seen Jaws and go "Why would I want to protect sharks? They monsters!"

Ok so have you preordered Card Shark?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

It rules a lot, it has this really simple elegance to its game design that's very impressive. It's actually a perfect game name in that regard.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Snackmar posted:

For the longest time I figued that having an adjusted UI for handheld vs TV was just a question of being too expensive/difficult given indie resources.. Everything in game dev is hard, and having a special UI for one platform (esp that you may not even be doing the port for) is just unrealistic.

But at this point, given how many indie games are practically unplayable on the Switch Lite, I almost have to wonder if there's a Nintendo certification rule that forbids treating TV and handheld mode any differently.. :psyduck: Maybe detecting that is a private API that you're not allowed to use?

nintendo will actually deliberately sabotage indie ports during the cert process to protect their first party games. miyamoto in particular is known for arbitrarily changing the font size just a few hours before release.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I had the same issue with small fonts on my Switch Lite with BOTW, a first party Nintendo game, so it's safe to say that there's no rules at all around readability. By far my least favorite thing about the Switch.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
did anything interesting get announced in 2500 posts

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

go back and read them fucko

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition looks good/bad on the Switch.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CFox posted:

I had the same issue with small fonts on my Switch Lite with BOTW, a first party Nintendo game, so it's safe to say that there's no rules at all around readability. By far my least favorite thing about the Switch.

that was a false flag operation to throw the dogs off the scent

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Make the OLED Switch Lite Nintendo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They didn't say there wouldn't be a new model this year at the investor meeting and people think it means a Switch Pro as usual but I'm putting money on a SWOLED lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

X was the Xenoblade I had the most fun with, and the only one I cleared 100%. I hope they make another game more in its style later, an X2 that builds on it would be amazing.

A new version of X with like... A good story may be the best game ever. Just exploring that world was absolutely incredible.