Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cthulu Carl posted:

I knew a dude named Chad in my summer job in college. He was short as hell but super chill and we became good friends.

But he's also the one who introduced me to Something Awful and the forums, so maybe he really was an rear end in a top hat???

top tier chad prank

"you should totally check out this forum, i think it'd be be right up your alley"
"nice, i paid for an account, what's your username?"
"lol i don't go there i just said that you would like it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boofhead posted:

top tier chad prank

"you should totally check out this forum, i think it'd be be right up your alley"
"nice, i paid for an account, what's your username?"
"lol i don't go there i just said that you would like it"

My sister paid for it :smuggo:

Oh no, I was owned from all directions!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Biplane posted:

This deep aversion a lot of people have towards adoption rustles my biscuits something fierce.

I get that feeling (why is it soo important that your child look like you?) but it's not like you can just adopt a kid as simply as you can adopt a cat. It seems like to do it properly it takes a lot of both time and money.

There's also the quagmire of what child you're adopting. I can completely understand wanting to start fresh with a healthy baby that doesn't have any baggage or trauma but that's also the population that's most in-demand whereas there are tons of kids in the foster system that need to be adopted more.

Plus no matter who you adopt, there's likely to be added complications, from potential birth parent drama to unknown medical histories to the various microaggressions adopted kids have to deal with. I can completely understand being interested in having kids but not wanting to deal with all of that.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For not paying for my landlords damaged car after he rammed his car into mine?

quote:

I live in my landlords home, renting part of it.

Anyways, the suite came with one parking spot. The parking spot that he advertised? This tiny tiny squeeze right next to two of his cars parked in front of his two car garage. I live in Vancouver so landlords can get away with offering the minimum and expect the maximum in rent.

But okay. I could carefully fit my tiny coupe in. And I had, for 3 months without incident.

Well as I was trying to leave the house yesterday morning, I witness my landlord trying to back his F350 into its usual spot next to my car... except he missed and rammed my car instead.

He climbs out of his truck, looks at me, and cusses me out. Telling me that because I had my car there, I was at fault. That my car being there "made for reckless parking and he had no option but to hit me".

Mind you... this was the spot HE advertised, and I had been parking, like he directed me to. I was in the very same spot earlier that morning that he was able to get out of, so it clearly wasn't impossible.

I told him no. That he hit my car. And that he was the one who sanctioned a parking spot there. And that I would be happy to settle this without involving insurance, if he'd like to pay out of pocket to sort out my car.

He of course chuckled at me, called me an idiot, and told me to expect a bill in the mail tomorrow.

It should be important to note than I am a tiny, quiet and shy woman and I assumed he thought I'd back down. Yea, no.

I said "Nope, you give me no option except to call the police". So I quickly took photos, all while this man was suddenly very angry and cussing me out. I quickly went into my suite, locked the doors. Called the police. Remembered I still had screenshots of the advertised rental suite and photos of the landlord sanctioned parking space, gave it all to the police. It was a lot, I have never spoken to the police before.

This morning he sent me a ton of texts calling me a bitch, that I was costing him a ton of money etc etc. I know I am in the right legally, but AITA for how I went about it?

Edit: His wife got in on the action this evening, telling me the costs of repair will severely affect their ability to raise their baby due in 2 months. I realize noe thats not my problem. Thank you for all the comments and advice. ICBC will be contacted, as well as the RTB to protect myself.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mx. posted:

AITA For not paying for my landlords damaged car after he rammed his car into mine?

gently caress a landlord, but especially this rear end in a top hat. Also who the gently caress backs an F350 into any spot?! Who the gently caress needs an F350 in loving Vancouver?!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

i don't want this baby *leaves it in the woods*

Look, this has been standard infant care since the beginning of time.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Edward Fingerhands posted:

Who the gently caress needs an F350 in loving Vancouver?!

The Moon Monster posted:

Look, this has been standard infant care since the beginning of time.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mx. posted:

I dunno, maybe I just don't have the powerful mind needed to be a landlord, but it seems to me that someone who was willing to escalate to involving the police when I was legally in the wrong would probably resort to whatever means necessary to do something about it if I started harassing her? That seems like some poorly chosen prey on their part.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Biplane posted:

This deep aversion a lot of people have towards adoption rustles my biscuits something fierce.
Both of my kids are adopted, and I always try to read about these decisions charitably; I 100% understand why people are cautious abut the adoption process. The level of investigation, counseling, and oversight and bureaucracy involved with adoption is crazy. Yet also a good thing.

It seems crazy to me that people can gently caress and the baby comes out nine months later, which is what leads to a lot of the horror shows in this thread.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Edward Fingerhands posted:

gently caress a landlord, but especially this rear end in a top hat. Also who the gently caress backs an F350 into any spot?! Who the gently caress needs an F350 in loving Vancouver?!

Hobby pickup drivers loving love backing into parking spots for some reason. They're also usually pretty bad at it!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for calling my friend’s boyfriend a stupid boy after his negligence destroyed my shoes?
I’d bet money that these were Louboutans, given as they are described as distinctive. Which means she’s not old money (they’re gauche) and these legit could have been an prized graduation gift (or milestone self-gift) for somebody with a professional-but-not-rich background.

Similarly, up until recently having a vacation house on or near the water was achievable for common people in the upper Midwest, where there are a lot of lakes. My family didn’t have one, but we knew people that did, and my mom’s third husband has one that the grandkids used for stuff like this, it was great. The place was empty most of the time, and kids have summers and breaks off, their parent don’t.

As an aside, I’m seeing some VISCOUS fighting in families now as different kids try to get ahold of these often modest cabins to live in, because, you know.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Hobby pickup drivers loving love backing into parking spots for some reason. They're also usually pretty bad at it!

Those enormous trucks have so many cameras on them now, it's incredible anyone can still have trouble. There are like guidelines and color coding and all, you have to try to mess it up.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Barudak posted:

This is my son, Yonic the Hedgehog

Holy poo poo I startled my sleeping wife laughing at this

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Remulak posted:

As an aside, I’m seeing some VISCOUS fighting in families now as different kids try to get ahold of these often modest cabins to live in, because, you know.

Guess blood is a Bingham plastic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dunno, maybe I just don't have the powerful mind needed to be a landlord, but it seems to me that someone who was willing to escalate to involving the police when I was legally in the wrong would probably resort to whatever means necessary to do something about it if I started harassing her? That seems like some poorly chosen prey on their part.

Yeah I liked that tactic. "You bitch, you sent reams of evidence of my lies and misdeeds to the police! Here's some literal harassment and threats in easily-screenshotted text format to follow up."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Remulak posted:

I’d bet money that these were Louboutans, given as they are described as distinctive. Which means she’s not old money (they’re gauche) and these legit could have been an prized graduation gift (or milestone self-gift) for somebody with a professional-but-not-rich background.

Similarly, up until recently having a vacation house on or near the water was achievable for common people in the upper Midwest, where there are a lot of lakes. My family didn’t have one, but we knew people that did, and my mom’s third husband has one that the grandkids used for stuff like this, it was great. The place was empty most of the time, and kids have summers and breaks off, their parent don’t.

Around here it's similar. Everyone knows somebody who has a family cabin on a lake or pond they can use for a weekend. And, it's not really a class thing. Rich people have fancier cabins, but it's more of a "did literally anyone in your family have a moderate amount of money 50 years ago, or just happened to live in the woods?" thing.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Small landlords in Vancouver renting out a lovely, possibly illegal suite to help pay their overextended mortgage are a whole class of people, it’s a systemic thing because the property market is so wildly inflated. The people who do it range from normal-ish, just trying to make it work, to the absolute worst petty tyrant shitheads. But as a group they seemed miserable and stressed about their position. It felt like the decent ones were really going against the grain. Big truck in the city guy is bad but there are a lot like him so his lack of self awareness isn’t surprising.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Am I being unreasonable? My fiancée wants to have all ranging late night convos

quote:

My fiancée has this habit of waking me up as I'm drifting off to sleep multiple times. It's extraordinarily annoying and I've asked her to stop many times.

I will say good night, I love you, I'm going to sleep. And 5 minutes later she's waking me up. I'll do the spiel again. And again. And she'll keep startling me awake (think fingernails on the skin, or a major conversation topic or intentionally making loud noises/moving the bed or just plain waking me up to say she loves me).

After this happens 2-5 times a night 3-4 times a week I'm very annoyed, I tell her to stop. She will double down, do it again and then I'm really pissed and we fight and I end up sleeping on the couch.

On one hand, am I being a child with a temper tantrum about sleeping? On the other hand I am very clearly communicating that a behavior of hers bothers me and she clearly does not care to change that behavior?

break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Hey friend, please don't post abuse in this thread. Thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

therobit posted:

Long story short public health agencies lumped all cosleeping together when deciding if it’s a risk or not, and parents ... sleeping on a firm mattress or futon with minimal blankets just aren’t that big a risk.[/url]
On not smoking and avoiding alcohol, you're right. I take leave to doubt that many American parents are sleeping "with minimal blankets".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I woke up feeling really angry at that story of the lesbian OP sending money to her bigot brother's house. 6 years of sending money over to people who barely talk to you, a full year of continuing to send money over to bigot house when brother explicitly said you're no longer welcome there.

This should have been a wakeup call, OP! This may be the first time you're expected to give money for an explicit homophobic bible camp, but you've been bankrolling bigots for years. That money you were saving them by helping "your niblings" was going to promote an agenda against your own family. You could easily just let the niblings know they're welcome to be pampered at your place if and when they visit. Save your money for your wife and kid!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DemoneeHo posted:

Why are you together

Why are you engaged

:psyboom:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

DemoneeHo posted:

break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up break up

Maybe this is a super passive agressive way to have the bed to herself.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

greazeball posted:

What 18yo is paying off student loans tho?

Someone points out that in Australia you don't pay them back until you graduate and are earning at least 40k a year. She says she started college at 16, but even then...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bonster posted:

Someone points out that in Australia you don't pay them back until you graduate and are earning at least 40k a year. She says she started college at 16, but even then...

Could be private student loans, I guess, as opposed to the government-backed stuff in whatever country those are just whatever a predatory lending institute offers you. You start paying those back immediately.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 23, 2022

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Remulak posted:

As an aside, I’m seeing some VISCOUS fighting in families now

They're fighting in kiddy pools filled with honey? Seems unnecessarily complicated. :confused:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Maybe this is a super passive agressive way to have the bed to herself.

I thought she was just too shy to initiate...

AITA for cutting my son’s college fund because he refuses to visit me?

quote:

I (38M) have three kids (18M,16M,13F), but one of them isn’t biological mine (16M), I found out about this 3 years ago, it was a messy situation so I ended up divorcing my wife and leaving, I moved to another city because I needed time to heal.

I wasn’t physically involved in my kid’s life for two years but I called them every day and talked to them, I also paid child support for the three of them, here is where I know I did a terrible thing and maybe that’s why Alexander is mad at me and doesn’t want to see me, When I called my kids, I only called Sophia and Raphael (13F, 18M) because I felt uncomfortable talking to Alexander, one day he was angry and grabbed the phone crying and said: “Don’t you love me, dad, why are they more important to you?”

I politely replied and said “Honey, look I love you but I need some time to heal, I’m still your father and I’ll be back soon” (He knows I’m not his biological father)

I talked to him thru messages because I didn’t feel completely comfortable doing a facetime, I moved back to my city last year with my new partner to settle down, and my kids (13F and 18M) came to visit me immediately but Alexander didn’t come so I went to his mom to see what was going on and I talked to him and also apologised for treating him that way but refused to come to my house and said that he only wanted to hang out with me and we did that.

When he found out my wife (he refused to come to my wedding) was pregnant he told me not to visit him again, then I found that his mom was seeing Alexander’s biological father so I thought that my son wanted a relationship with his bio dad instead so even if it hurts I respected his wishes until I found out that he rejects this guy, Raphael says that one day this guy was trying to spend time with him but Alexander said: “Look dude, no hard feelings but don’t try to force a fatherly role on me because you are not my dad and I already have one” So I decided to invite him again to live with me because my other two kids live with me 80% the time and he is the only one who refuses.

My daughter was born 6 days ago and he hasn’t come to see his half-sister so I called him and said that if he doesn’t come to see me I’ll be cutting his college fund, he told me to f*ck off and then hung up.

My mom says I’m being an AH for threatening him that way.

AITA? Seriously I don’t see the point of paying a college fund for a child that doesn’t even want to see me.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Hughlander posted:

But you... he... you....

GAH!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Hughlander posted:

I left my kids for two years and they resent me for this, but whatever, DANCE MONKEY DANCE IF YOU WANT A COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Hughlander posted:

one day he was angry and grabbed the phone crying and said: “Don’t you love me, dad, why are they more important to you?

Fuuuuuuuuck me that's a deep hurt. Gonna hug my kids when I pick them up from school.

You'd think this dude could have made up his loving mind on whether he was ditching his son or not. Make up your mind rear end in a top hat, Jesus

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Uncle Enzo posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck me that's a deep hurt. Gonna hug my kids when I pick them up from school.

You'd think this dude could have made up his loving mind on whether he was ditching his son or not. Make up your mind rear end in a top hat, Jesus

This sounds like a classic case of 'I'd like to ditch my adoptive son but not look like an rear end in a top hat, so I'll be stand-offish and coldly distant until he reacts and then use that as an excuse to ditch my adoptive son for him being the rear end in a top hat'

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Uncle Enzo posted:

"Make Up Your Mind, rear end in a top hat Jesus", the lesser-known Savage Henry and The Infamous One Pounders single.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing to sleep at my boyfriend's apartment until he cleans his bathroom?

quote:

I'm a twice a day shower-er. A 5 minute shower in the morning helps me wake up and feel refreshed, then a longer shower at night to help me relax/feel clean before I go to bed. This is non negotiable for me.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years and he recently moved into an apartment by himself, whereas he previously had housemates. In the 4 months he's been there, I've been staying over a couple nights a week.

Lately I've noticed mold growing in his bathroom and have brought it up to him. He says that he'll clean it but never does so I've stopped sleeping over because it's disgusting. He's always welcome at my house, but since I have housemates he thinks it's weird and doesn't come over.

Now that I don't sleep over it's cut down on our time spent together so he's been mopey. I've told him numerous times that it's a simple fix for him to clean the bathroom for me to be able to shower and feel clean but he says that it doesn't bother him, but if it bothers me so much then I should be the one to clean it. I told him that it's not my responsibility but if he wants me to sleep over again then he needs to clean the mold, or organise and pay somebody to do it.

He keeps telling me to just come sleep over but go home if I need to shower and then come back, but I'm refusing to because that's ridiculous even though I live 5 minutes away.

We've been at an odds for a couple weeks over this. AITA?

Would rather not see you than spend any time cleaning the bathroom while dating. Can you imagine living with this goblin?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

quote:

OP posted:

I know I f*cked up and I know I hurt him but I want him in my life again.
This is what you do:
  • You IMMEDIATELY apologize for threatening to take away his college fund. Tell him it's not removed/taken away, and that you are still giving it to him with no strings attached.
  • You apologize for your brash actions. You apologize and explain that you reacted that way because you just want him back in your life, but that you understand that the situation is difficult it is for him.
  • You apologize to him FOR YOUR OWN actions, and you do NOT include any phrase that starts with "...but you..."
  • Do NOT make your apology about his actions. DO NOT make your apology about what he said or did. DO NOT try to justify your actions because he isn't doing what you want.
Remember: YOU left his life 3 years ago. YOU barely spoke to him. YOU just showed up back in his life, with a new family, and started making demands. This child has done nothing else but be born, and his loss/pain/confusing is 100 times worse than yours.

You were only cheated on. His life was completely destroyed by his mom's cheating actions.

OP posted:

I'll do it today, in a couple of hours after school. I called him in the early in the morning and asked if he wanted to spend sometime with me after school and he said yes.

well, hopefully OP pulled his head out of his rear end

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

DandyLion posted:

This sounds like a classic case of 'I'd like to ditch my adoptive son but not look like an rear end in a top hat, so I'll be stand-offish and coldly distant until he reacts and then use that as an excuse to ditch my adoptive son for him being the rear end in a top hat'

I don't think that "son born of ex-wife's affair" and "adoptive son" should be conflated

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to sleep at my boyfriend's apartment until he cleans his bathroom?

Would rather not see you than spend any time cleaning the bathroom while dating. Can you imagine living with this goblin?

I'd like to imagine this is the same guy declining handjobs because he wants to watch marvel movies instead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Bramble posted:

I'd like to imagine this is the same guy declining handjobs because he wants to watch marvel movies instead.

No that's just too much. Even gamers and nerds can clean a bathroom before it becomes a mold zone.

That's much more a "my mom did my laundry until I moved out" kind of guy.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
how bad does your bathroom have to be to have mold growing

I'll admit I'm not the world's neatest person but god drat what the hell you shitgoblins

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mine grows some kind of mildew mold in record time but I live in the moist PNW. I have to bleach my grout all the loving time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

how bad does your bathroom have to be to have mold growing

I'll admit I'm not the world's neatest person but god drat what the hell you shitgoblins

Depends on where they live. I live in a hot, humid climate and a bit of mold in a room that's often damp is inevitable unless you keep the air conditioning running full tilt 24/7. The key is keeping it from getting out of hand.