Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

knuthgrush posted:

I read this as "tried marijuana last night" and I have two things to say:

1. Manjaro is terrific
2. I need to go back to the too high to post in BYOB thread.

I should install marijuana sometime and see if I can load that thread.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

knuthgrush posted:

I read this as "tried marijuana last night"

This was my work computer!

But can you post a link to the installer image, just so I know what not to install?

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

cruft posted:

This was my work computer!

But can you post a link to the installer image, just so I know what not to install?

I think it's this one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

I've always had a small army of low volume flash cards and a couple large ones for transfers I couldn't make over a network. But I find myself now wondering if I can set a USB to boot to grub and partition multiple ISOs to it. Give myself a multi-installer to keep updating(obviously allocating extra space to each partition for future expansion of the ISOs). I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with this kinda thing and specifically if I can set it up to boot to like grub and select from the ISOs on there to install?

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
cruft

nesamdoom posted:

I've always had a small army of low volume flash cards and a couple large ones for transfers I couldn't make over a network. But I find myself now wondering if I can set a USB to boot to grub and partition multiple ISOs to it. Give myself a multi-installer to keep updating(obviously allocating extra space to each partition for future expansion of the ISOs). I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with this kinda thing and specifically if I can set it up to boot to like grub and select from the ISOs on there to install?

What you want is possible, but the way you described it isn't.

ISO files are actually CD-ROM images. Somebody discovered a hack so that you could have a bootable CD-ROM image that could also be dumped onto a flash drive and boot there too. But nobody's written a multi-boot loader for a CD-ROM.

You can multi-boot off a flash drive, though, which is more or less a hard drive. You would need some sort of boot loader like grub, and then multiple partitions containing whatever live-boot thingy you want. This is possible, and I have done it before.

However, almost every distribution that presents you an ISO is going to need extensive and intense work to have it work outside of its ISO kludge. Generally this would involve unpacking the ISO into an EXT2 filesystem, and modifying some of the early boot scripts to look in a different place for things. I got this working with Ubuntu and... something else, I forget, maybe Arch. It took me days.

It's just a whole lot easier to carry multiple flash drives.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

cruft posted:

What you want is possible, but the way you described it isn't.

ISO files are actually CD-ROM images. Somebody discovered a hack so that you could have a bootable CD-ROM image that could also be dumped onto a flash drive and boot there too. But nobody's written a multi-boot loader for a CD-ROM.

You can multi-boot off a flash drive, though, which is more or less a hard drive. You would need some sort of boot loader like grub, and then multiple partitions containing whatever live-boot thingy you want. This is possible, and I have done it before.

However, almost every distribution that presents you an ISO is going to need extensive and intense work to have it work outside of its ISO kludge. Generally this would involve unpacking the ISO into an EXT2 filesystem, and modifying some of the early boot scripts to look in a different place for things. I got this working with Ubuntu and... something else, I forget, maybe Arch. It took me days.

It's just a whole lot easier to carry multiple flash drives.

I was mostly thinking of it since I dunno where most my flash drives are. Unpacking/installing to usb being a possible solution isn't terrible tho. I just don't wanna rewrite a couple usbs everytime I need to use them.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Is Debian server still good on old 32 bits? It's been like 4 or 5 years since the last time I set up media servers from old desktops.

It's also been about 3 since I fully installed ParrotSec instead of updating it. Which has made problems with their package system changes, but work arounds have sorted most of it. So I might make a day of reinstalling systems on a few laptops and desktops later this week.

Also, I'll look it up, but I swear there was a kid-friendly build of something years back and I might take the extra laptop I used to have in my bedroom and set it up for my kid. Sadly it's not touchscreen or he'd pick it up quick, but I might be able to find one someone is trying to throw away and fix it up for him rather than offer to fix it for them if they get me some booze.

cruft

nesamdoom posted:

Is Debian server still good on old 32 bits? It's been like 4 or 5 years since the last time I set up media servers from old desktops.

It's also been about 3 since I fully installed ParrotSec instead of updating it. Which has made problems with their package system changes, but work arounds have sorted most of it. So I might make a day of reinstalling systems on a few laptops and desktops later this week.

Also, I'll look it up, but I swear there was a kid-friendly build of something years back and I might take the extra laptop I used to have in my bedroom and set it up for my kid. Sadly it's not touchscreen or he'd pick it up quick, but I might be able to find one someone is trying to throw away and fix it up for him rather than offer to fix it for them if they get me some booze.

Linux still works just great on 32-bit CPUs.

For the kid-friendly laptop, I'd recommend CloudReady OS, which just turns it into a Chromebook. Advantages:

• It applies security updates automatically
  • Very few opportunities for the kid to brick the machine
  • You can run full Debian Linux on it if you want (but you have to enable that, and it may not work with really old hardware)

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
oof haven't posted in a while

I installed 5.18

yay

Schir

i run kubuntu. it seems like it's easier to get things to run on it than other distros, and was easier to set up overall, and it looks the way i want an operating system to look

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Most of the *buntu variants are pretty safe bets for stuff that Just Works.

I'm also intrigued when people prefer qt based interfaces over gtk stuff. I think maybe these days with themes that exist in both toolkits it might be less of a rift.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Yuu Morisawa posted:

oof haven't posted in a while

I installed 5.18

yay

How is Plasma? -I haven't ever tried it but I've seen it look nice.
Any benefit to Yakuake over Guake? -Not sure if it's just a small preference thing or if there are bonus features.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

nesamdoom posted:

How is Plasma? -I haven't ever tried it but I've seen it look nice.
Any benefit to Yakuake over Guake? -Not sure if it's just a small preference thing or if there are bonus features.

Plasma is one of only 2 DEs I enjoy using (the other being Cinnamon).

I guess it’s due to the default configuration being similar to the Windows shell and the fact that I still use Winblows regularly (because Wine can’t run everything perfectly) so it’s easy for me to switch between the two interfaces.

Also I actually prefer Guake over Yakuake (it’s more user friendly and has better themes) and the only reason I’m not using it atm is due to a Plasma update that causes the terminal to not properly fill-in the width of the screen entirely every time it pops down (this doesn’t happen in Cinnamon, I’ve tested it)

Until this stops happening I’ll just use Yakuake

Yuu Morisawa fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 31, 2022

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Just thought of this. If your fan(s) ever die you can use the app cpupower to limit cores so while running you don't end up with them stressing to push hard with no cooling. octocore at 1 GHz with no cooling is still decent. it wont fix needing a new fan but it'll keep ya from melting down while still using the system. temps can be used to adjust based on need.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

nesamdoom posted:

Just thought of this. If your fan(s) ever die you can use the app cpupower to limit cores so while running you don't end up with them stressing to push hard with no cooling. octocore at 1 GHz with no cooling is still decent. it wont fix needing a new fan but it'll keep ya from melting down while still using the system. temps can be used to adjust based on need.

Brilliant!

Ohtori Akio
op i'm a big fan of linux but, sadly, love gaming even more. so linux is just for work right now

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ohtori Akio posted:

op i'm a big fan of linux but, sadly, love gaming even more. so linux is just for work right now

Friend, the Proton project has changed everything. Nearly everything you'd play on Windows now runs on Linux. Valve even released a Linux handheld console (the Steam Deck) to great success.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Ohtori Akio

Saoshyant posted:

Friend, the Proton project has changed everything. Nearly everything you'd play on Windows now runs on Linux. Valve even released a Linux handheld console (the Steam Deck) to great success.

There remain some key games that don't quite make it work. I was trying to run linux+proton as soon as a few months ago on my main machine, gave up and purchased a Windows license.

cruft

I did a Loonix yesterday and now I'm drinking some decaf.

Coincidence? Probably.

Mummy Napkin
poking my head back in here to say: i still really like linux. it's good.

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Mummy Napkin posted:

poking my head back in here to say: i still really like linux. it's good.

Heck yeah! It's pretty great!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Idk what any of the words itt mean, so can you go ahead and replace them with entirely different words for me tia

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Chewbecca posted:

Idk what any of the words itt mean, so can you go ahead and replace them with entirely different words for me tia

Computer but a little different.

Goons Are Gifts

I recently got a steam deck and after playing wow while pooping and getting myself the stray cat game which is even optimized for a console that also literally can run discord as well as a posting apparatus, Linux seems to be game now

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Goons Are Great posted:

I recently got a steam deck and after playing wow while pooping and getting myself the stray cat game which is even optimized for a console that also literally can run discord as well as a posting apparatus, Linux seems to be game now

i sense a steam deck in my future. i also see a vision of my windows computer in a toilet, and me trying to force it down with a plunger

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Dr. Honked posted:

i sense a steam deck in my future. i also see a vision of my windows computer in a toilet, and me trying to force it down with a plunger

Why not scrape windows and find some use for it? You could atleast use it as a file server so you can save space on the deck for non essential files.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm joking of course, i wouldn't flush it down the toilet, that would be silly. i'd throw it in the ocean with the car batteries.

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Chewbecca

In my head Linux is pronounced line-ucks, idc if this is wrong because its right in my heart

I will not be taking questions at this time

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Dr. Honked posted:

i'm joking of course, i wouldn't flush it down the toilet, that would be silly. i'd throw it in the ocean with the car batteries.

Fantastic, that's where i yearly chuck my collection of plastic 6pack rings.

more falafel please

forums poster

Chewbecca posted:

In my head Linux is pronounced line-ucks, idc if this is wrong because its right in my heart

I will not be taking questions at this time

linus is finnish but from an swedish ethnic area so his name has like 3 different pronunciations depending on what language, but he has clarified that linux is pronounced "linn-ucks"

fun fact, linus's other major piece of software is called "git" because, according to him, he names all his software after himself

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami

Chewbecca posted:

what if computer but not windows or mac

Chewbecca

Yuu Morisawa posted:

what if computer but not windows or mac

:hmmyes:

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

So, I was looking for something on my computer and found KDE Connect. I'm not sure if I added it sometime for something or if it was in an update along the way. Turns out it has an Android app and is the easiest pairing of phone to computer I've ever seen. I haven't even found Windows stuff to buy that's this good.

So, yea. check that out. It's even got find device and oddly both way remotes so you can use your mouse for the phone. Anyways, just something useful I found that solved so much of my interconnective issues with phone and computer.

Yuu Morisawa

Watch Creamy Mami
yeah kde connect is quite useful

I use it to unlock my PC without having to type my password over and over

Pony Jabroni

one time my friend and i sewed together our own skirts and conspiracy t shirts and went to an olive garden at 9:30 AM and ordered six liters of wine and free bread sticks and it was the best day ever
im very sad because my ubuntu has succumbed to some weird bug with the newest version so it won't boot. I can't find the forum post i saw that described the bug bit something about like, it thinking it needs something from my gpu that it doesnt actually need and just hangs

i miss it. i also installed it to save my art files from my windows hard drive after replacing my mobo and no longer being able to access it, and now im back in the same situation and the windows drive just acts as if it doesn't exist, which is very rudy.

my coworker said i should try mint, though ive tried mint debian and it was waaaay over my head. ubuntu is about all ive been comfortable with when it comes to linux.

still, im very sad.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Pony Jabroni posted:

im very sad because my ubuntu has succumbed to some weird bug with the newest version so it won't boot. I can't find the forum post i saw that described the bug bit something about like, it thinking it needs something from my gpu that it doesnt actually need and just hangs

i miss it. i also installed it to save my art files from my windows hard drive after replacing my mobo and no longer being able to access it, and now im back in the same situation and the windows drive just acts as if it doesn't exist, which is very rudy.

my coworker said i should try mint, though ive tried mint debian and it was waaaay over my head. ubuntu is about all ive been comfortable with when it comes to linux.

still, im very sad.

Have you thought of testing distros in a Virtual Machine to see if you like any? Not sure what ya mean by way over your head, but I also haven't seen ubuntu in like 7 years so I don't know it's current state.
If you don't know about it then I could suggest https://distrowatch.com/search.php to be able to find something that fits whatever you need. Sucks the update jucked you tho.

Pony Jabroni

one time my friend and i sewed together our own skirts and conspiracy t shirts and went to an olive garden at 9:30 AM and ordered six liters of wine and free bread sticks and it was the best day ever

nesamdoom posted:

Have you thought of testing distros in a Virtual Machine to see if you like any? Not sure what ya mean by way over your head, but I also haven't seen ubuntu in like 7 years so I don't know it's current state.
If you don't know about it then I could suggest https://distrowatch.com/search.php to be able to find something that fits whatever you need. Sucks the update jucked you tho.

i havent done much in the terminal. i remember when i tried mint debian everything had to be installed via the terminal and even following guides online, i could never get things to install. i think that really scared me away, since i couldnt even install the drivers to get my wifi on the laptop i had installed it on to work.

ubuntu is like... i can install stuff via install packages (though i still couldnt figure that out) as well as via the software manager. so its very like, windows 10 with the microsoft store. you can use terminal and sudo stuff if you want to, but you don't HAVE to, which i liked because i didnt have to deal with the frustration of "why isn't this working? what does this mean?"

i hope i explained that okay.

this does remind me though that i need to make another ubuntu boot drive so maybe i can try to repair it, or see if the bug has been patched.

i may take you up on the vm though! id never thought about that. ill take a look at that site and pick some to try. i feel like i hear the most about arch so im kinda curious about that one.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Pony Jabroni posted:

i havent done much in the terminal. i remember when i tried mint debian everything had to be installed via the terminal and even following guides online, i could never get things to install. i think that really scared me away, since i couldnt even install the drivers to get my wifi on the laptop i had installed it on to work.

ubuntu is like... i can install stuff via install packages (though i still couldnt figure that out) as well as via the software manager. so its very like, windows 10 with the microsoft store. you can use terminal and sudo stuff if you want to, but you don't HAVE to, which i liked because i didnt have to deal with the frustration of "why isn't this working? what does this mean?"

i hope i explained that okay.

this does remind me though that i need to make another ubuntu boot drive so maybe i can try to repair it, or see if the bug has been patched.

i may take you up on the vm though! id never thought about that. ill take a look at that site and pick some to try. i feel like i hear the most about arch so im kinda curious about that one.

VMs are great. I test ran arch installs years ago to get used to it before doing a real. But distro tests are great to sim diff ways. I figured out I like fluxbox on arch with i3 that became a good way to run a laptop without mouse.
Terminal seems daunting at first but it's really not bad. I aliased sagi to be sudo apt-get install and if something pops up I'll do something like 'sagi lolcat'.
Mint shouldn't need much manual input though maybe the Debian does but I've only had cinnamon and that's been while. Last I can remember kbuntu was pretty good though too. Def do try some stuff in VMs and I'm sure thread will help or pm if ya can. I love the Linux community for trying to help ppl so I'm always happy to help ppl if can

Ohtori Akio
when i am running linux, i enjoy awesome wm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Ohtori Akio posted:

when i am running linux, i enjoy awesome wm

I'm the current maintainer of 9wm.

I don't use it, though.