Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ditto for Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, that's also a journey to collect a bunch of McGuffins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

those are literally the most popular, mass market shounen anime that exist right now, so they can't really do things "differently", because they're the ones defining the baseline. its like saying that mario is redefining what it means to be a platformer

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What other pirate adventure manga is even active to saturate one piece's niche

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How much game is there after the original ending in P5R is there? Is Maruki's palace it or is there more after that? Kinda ready for it to be over now ngl

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

How much game is there after the original ending in P5R is there? Is Maruki's palace it or is there more after that? Kinda ready for it to be over now ngl

It's pretty much just that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thank god

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
You can even cut it off ASAP if you make a certain decision, but that's at the cost of missed content. (Apparently, some people have done this on accident. That must be a bummer.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately they make a point of telling you that Maruki was going to leave school soon so I got him up to rank 10 asap, I would have been pissed if I hadn't and that meant missing out on the end stuff. The dialogue choices are pretty obvious as least.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I just beat SMT V. It is my first SMT game. What is the consensus on where it stacks up to the other SMT games (not Persona or other off shoots)?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Probably what I'd say is the worst story in a proper SMT but the gameplay is very good (I'm not sure I'd say its the best ever among SMT but I could accept an argument for it) even though I do think the crit-based Magatsuhi skill is a bit too overpowered.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Upper mid tier.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I personally did not like it at all, will never play it again ever. But consensus seems to be great gameplay, bleh story.

Which is admittedly the consensus for my favorite Megaten game, SMTIV Apocalypse. But you know, IVA actually did have story and characters in addition to great music and gameplay. I highly recommend it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Apocalypses characters are actively detrimental to it's level of enjoyment

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The characters were fine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I liked Apocalypses characters.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not seeing a problem?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I killed them and didn’t feel too badly about it tbh

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

They really said "Yes Nozomi has Goddess Powers, no she will not have any attacks besides mediocre gun damage and Sukunda"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
That's a terrible translation. It should be "homeslice senpai".

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SMT4A is really good and the characters own

SMTV is extremely mid, however.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
SMT4 is my personal fave.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

4 and 4a are both killer. the meta setup for 4a (accidentally derailing someone elses playthrough, in a sense, of 4) is extremely cool and I hope they return to that idea in another form at some point

also the characters are fine. people felt really strongly about them for some reason, but they're just par for the course imo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

nordichammer posted:

I just beat SMT V. It is my first SMT game. What is the consensus on where it stacks up to the other SMT games (not Persona or other off shoots)?

1 Has the most interesting Atmosphere
2 has the most interesting World Building/Cosmology/Lore
3 is most similar to V in terms of setting, but the tone in that is far more desolate.
SJ has the most interesting characters, and is the most dungeon crawly of all the games
IV has the most interesting Plot, and second best Atmosphere
IVA Has arguably the best gameplay in the Press Turn style.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
IVA had the decency to have a teleport maze

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

Upper mid tier.

That's exactly where I put SMTV myself, yeah. Definitely under Nocturne, 4A, Strange Journey Redux offhand...and also under the DDS-es if we were to include them

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
something I liked about 4A was the user experience: the menus were easy and satisfying to use. same thing that persona 5 did so well. I didn't play 4 but I assume it had the same thing going on

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hatty posted:

IVA had the decency to have a teleport maze

It's not a real RPG without a teleporter maze

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like 4A as a counterpoint to the usual SMT message. It posits that, even in a world full of demons, people will remain people, and not become demonic

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I started NG+ to try to get a different ending in SMTV and I got bored like a quarter of the way through the first area and don’t feel motivated to pick it up again. The beginning of the game drags on foreverrrrr

I managed to beat Triangle Strategy four times to get all the endings because it let me skip most of the plot in subsequent playthroughs. SMTV is not nearly as respectful of my time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah NG+ would be way better in SMTV if they didn't make you recollect all the Mimans/Talismans every time, and also added a way to just autokill trash mobs. e: If you're doing Reborn, of course, Newborn making you recollect them would be fine.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you're just going for extra endings on Reborn you can run from the beginning to the end of the game in like 3 hours, it's not that bad. It's just kind of boring, considering there's only a handful of times you need to do anything to secure a different ending.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I started NG+ to try to get a different ending in SMTV and I got bored like a quarter of the way through the first area and don’t feel motivated to pick it up again. The beginning of the game drags on foreverrrrr

I managed to beat Triangle Strategy four times to get all the endings because it let me skip most of the plot in subsequent playthroughs. SMTV is not nearly as respectful of my time.

I don't really get why so many people feel like they have to replay the whole game to do all the endings???? Sure you will be missing out on some bonuses but just save before the decision point very late in the game and you only have to redo the very short final area.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

u mad?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don't actually understand the problem you had with SMTV. Is fast forwarding through dialogue not fast enough or something?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nrook posted:

something I liked about 4A was the user experience: the menus were easy and satisfying to use. same thing that persona 5 did so well. I didn't play 4 but I assume it had the same thing going on

4A has a couple QOL upgrades over 4. Namely the map in 4 is hard to navigate if you don't know Tokyo.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

4A has a couple QOL upgrades over 4. Namely the map in 4 is hard to navigate if you don't know Tokyo.

Yeah that was pretty weird. I live in Japan and was still stumped about where to go sometimes because I've never lived in Tokyo.

Similarly 3 is a real pain to navigate, though I'm sure part of that is because I never played it at the time so I'm coming back to it with modern sensibilities. I really ought to finish it some time because I kinda fell off after the umpteenth sewer/tunnel grind.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItTRK1f8HdY

Ringo and Figue trailer. Looks like Figue has little mini-sections where she sneaks into air vents in that bird-like stuffed animal form we've seen her in a few times.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Junpei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItTRK1f8HdY

Ringo and Figue trailer. Looks like Figue has little mini-sections where she sneaks into air vents in that bird-like stuffed animal form we've seen her in a few times.
And here's the same trailer on the official account not a reuploader.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHEn8zCr77o

I actually ended up preordering the '25th' box set yesterday. The art style looks pretty fantastic and is mostly what sold me on the game. Though I'm also curious to see why they specifically chose 'Soul Hackers' over the larger Devil Summoner umbrella because despite its flaws that game had some really interesting ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

My guess is that for marketing purposes, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers 2 would be too unwieldy.