Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
You don't need a membership to eat at the food court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You definitely have out here for a while. The kiosk scans your card.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I thought that changed during the pandemic.

E: changed to require membership to eat at the food court that is.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
You don't require a membership in Illinois, but it's probably down to local regs on what you can require someone to do before they buy prepared food from you.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

That isn't even the dumbest part.

If anyone actually tried this (which they won't it's wsb shitposting not a serious idea) that comes out to about 21,000 reddit posters per Costco store buy 1000 hotdogs each. Each store isn't stocking 21 million hot dogs. They'd just sell the ones they do have and then be like "oh sorry we're sold out of hotdogs". This isn't some dumb poo poo cryptocurrency, the Costco smart contract won't just run in an infinite loop losing $5 as long as someone keeps pressing the button.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

mrmcd posted:

If anyone actually tried this (which they won't it's wsb shitposting not a serious idea) that comes out to about 21,000 reddit posters per Costco store buy 1000 hotdogs each. Each store isn't stocking 21 million hot dogs. They'd just sell the ones they do have and then be like "oh sorry we're sold out of hotdogs". This isn't some dumb poo poo cryptocurrency, the Costco smart contract won't just run in an infinite loop losing $5 as long as someone keeps pressing the button.

Just a stunning display of terminal Computer Science brain.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

loving with the Costco hot dog I feel is also a good way to get disappeared given hasn't the company founder basically stared down every finance guy who's even suggested changing the price of it?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

njsykora posted:

loving with the Costco hot dog I feel is also a good way to get disappeared given hasn't the company founder basically stared down every finance guy who's even suggested changing the price of it?

“If you raise the [price of the] loving hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out”

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

mrmcd posted:

Then you live off of the pizza and hot pockets.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I can buy hot dogs from Whole Foods/Amazon 6 for $7 at retail prices and some buns for $3.50. Costco runs their own hot dog factory.

There is no way Costco is losing money per dog.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Even if they lose money on the hot dog, it's at worst a loss leader like the toilet paper and rotisserie chicken (Which, suspiciously, both at the back of the store. Funny how that go.)

Costco ain't going nowhere.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mrmcd posted:

Gosh, it sounds like their stocking model is ripe for disruption then! Perhaps I could introduce you to a bespoke blockchain solution?

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
CostCoin going to the moon 🚀

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any good bwm podcasts like Ramsey. I really don't want to listen to him so he receives money because gently caress him.

But I do like a little financial idocacy I to my veins occasionally. Like the caller with 118k in debt making 35k/yr with 2 horses.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ultrafilter posted:

Costco food court doesn't require a membership, so clearly the plan is flawless.

Man I remember there was confusion about that topic in another Costco thread a few years back as some folk had been buying lunch without a membership for years and others who worked at a store insisted you definitely did. Yeah it comes down to local law, and also I think if the food court is outside so you don’t have to enter the main door then you probably don’t.

doingitwrong posted:

I can buy hot dogs from Whole Foods/Amazon 6 for $7 at retail prices and some buns for $3.50. Costco runs their own hot dog factory.

Costco isn’t blindly sticking with the price point. To keep rotisserie chickens $5 they built a colossal plant in Nebraska so they could control the supply chain.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The real BWM is eating hotdogs, in the long term anyways.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nocheez posted:

The real BWM is eating hotdogs, in the long term anyways.
Bowels With Malignancies

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

doingitwrong posted:

Costco is probably "losing money" on the dogs in the activist investor sense of "not maximizing profit." Would someone pay $2 for that meal? Probably. $3? $4? Eventually you hit a point where lost sales overwhelm the additional money per, but there's absolutely a point where they could be charging more and making more money.

The problem with that is that the $1.50 hotdog is practically part of their brand now, and any money they're "losing" (not making) by pricing it that low is probably overwhelmed by people thinking it's a nice amenity and it making the customers happy.

A good example is a hypothetical bougie retail boutique with a pitcher full of iced cucumber water or something like that up front by the register. Does it cost money to give people shopping for overpriced purses a drink? Sure. Could they charge for it? Dunno, maybe. But the key is that having that free sip of water with cucumber slices floating in it makes people feel like they're getting a premium, high class shopping experience. You're not just some thrift store, you're the bougie purse shop that has free rich people water because we're so high class we don't even think about the price, what's the most that cucumber water could cost Michael?

Meanwhile the first loving thing you see when you walk in Costco is a giant loving sign telling you about this $1.50 hotdog and soda you can buy, and when is the last time you bought a complete lunch for a loving dollar and a half? From the second you walk in they're blasting in your face that this warehouse you walked into is the Home Of Savings and goddamn we will sell you a hotdog priced like it's still the eighties and the longer we keep this running the more hilariously effective this dumb gimmick becomes.

It's 110% about messaging and branding.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

At least in some places it’s A Thing for local sports teams to go to IKEA and Costco for tons of cheap food, which means now teenagers and college kids who wouldn’t otherwise consider going to a place like that may actually decide to start shopping there.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

People get fuckin nuts about CostCo out in my suburbs. They’ll make bank anywhere there are families with kids. Good steaks too.

Even if they were all magically coordinated, there’s no way all 12M people would go just to buy a hotdog. 25% would go “ehhh yeah get me a hotdog, fries, a drink, and some candy” and suddenly CostCo has a great day.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Costco fuel discount also seems to give people some brain worms. I get times are tough, as is tradition, but idling a half hour line for a 10 cent discount is bad with everything for everyone.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There's few things as BWM as trying to be GWM with fuel.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Vahakyla posted:

There's few things as BWM as trying to be GWM with fuel.

I think every millennial has a story about how their boomer parents drove 30 minutes across town to get gas for $0.01 cheaper.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And even people in their twenties and thirties do it today. Seems to be more of the MAGA-crowd driving to next town for gas that's two cents cheaper. It's like a ritual or something.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

SpartanIvy posted:

I think every millennial has a story about how their boomer parents drove 30 minutes across town to get gas for $0.01 cheaper.

“I know Bill is our friend and runs Bill’s Gas, but Mobile opened across the street and is two cents cheaper.”

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Paying high prices is what Joe Brandon wants you to do. It's worth it to drive not to get cucked.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Costco is probably "losing money" on the dogs in the activist investor sense of "not maximizing profit." Would someone pay $2 for that meal? Probably. $3? $4? Eventually you hit a point where lost sales overwhelm the additional money per, but there's absolutely a point where they could be charging more and making more money.

The problem with that is that the $1.50 hotdog is practically part of their brand now, and any money they're "losing" (not making) by pricing it that low is probably overwhelmed by people thinking it's a nice amenity and it making the customers happy.

A good example is a hypothetical bougie retail boutique with a pitcher full of iced cucumber water or something like that up front by the register. Does it cost money to give people shopping for overpriced purses a drink? Sure. Could they charge for it? Dunno, maybe. But the key is that having that free sip of water with cucumber slices floating in it makes people feel like they're getting a premium, high class shopping experience. You're not just some thrift store, you're the bougie purse shop that has free rich people water because we're so high class we don't even think about the price, what's the most that cucumber water could cost Michael?

Meanwhile the first loving thing you see when you walk in Costco is a giant loving sign telling you about this $1.50 hotdog and soda you can buy, and when is the last time you bought a complete lunch for a loving dollar and a half? From the second you walk in they're blasting in your face that this warehouse you walked into is the Home Of Savings and goddamn we will sell you a hotdog priced like it's still the eighties and the longer we keep this running the more hilariously effective this dumb gimmick becomes.

It's 110% about messaging and branding.

This is exactly what it is. Same studies for Ikea meatballs. What I never understand is why it always seems like Costco is "lol what are they doing?" but for Ikea everyone's all "Wow so smart". Maybe some kind of euro romanticism over US corporation.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cheapdad Disease cuts across generations and ideological divides. Know the warning signs. Talk to your loved ones. Know when to take action.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

itskage posted:

Paying high prices is what Joe Brandon wants you to do. It's worth it to drive not to get cucked.

This is exactly what it is. Same studies for Ikea meatballs. What I never understand is why it always seems like Costco is "lol what are they doing?" but for Ikea everyone's all "Wow so smart". Maybe some kind of euro romanticism over US corporation.

It's because people have the perception that people of means shop at costco. IKEA, despite having popularity among people at many price points, has the perception of being for poors and struggling youths.

Like others have said, it's the perception that the consumer's money is there but they aren't exploiting it. Someone shopping at IKEA is perceived as barely making ends meet, in contrast

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpartanIvy posted:

My mom and dad. :sigh:

I've never eaten a $1.50 costco hot dog. Am I missing out on something besides an increased risk of colorectal cancer ?

Pizza's a good deal though iirc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
not even missing out on the colorectal cancer if the pizza has pepperoni on it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's also for sure a level of US romanticising European companies, just look at how some people talk about Aldi (some of it deserved) for example.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

me: walks in on my BIL watching some ikea doc on netflix
TV:*but the company owner had a dark past..*
me: what... is he a nazi?
BIL: oh, come on.
TV: *he was a nazi*
me: oh, come on.

--

also the hotdog is not bad, but everytime i go to costco i either get pizza or the chicken bake.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

My mom and dad. :sigh:

I've never eaten a $1.50 costco hot dog. Am I missing out on something besides an increased risk of colorectal cancer ?

Pizza's a good deal though iirc.

It's a good hot dog. A great hot dog for $1.50. It was better when they also let you get polish sausage, though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

njsykora posted:

There's also for sure a level of US romanticising European companies, just look at how some people talk about Aldi (some of it deserved) for example.

Costco has a very generous return policy so buying things there feels pretty low risk. Kirkland brand products are usually pretty high quality at a low cost. Costco also tends to treat and pay its employees much better than similar warehouse type stores. In the capitalist hellscape that is America, it seems like one of the better places to shop imho.

Also their gas tends to be about $.20/gal cheaper than other nearby stations on the regular in my area. I wouldn't drive across town for it but a 10min detour? Sure.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

It's a good hot dog. A great hot dog for $1.50. It was better when they also let you get polish sausage, though.

What do you mean "was"? Come to Canada Costco :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

itskage posted:

Honestly doing what best maximizes profit is some terminal brainworms in many cases. There was some point where a bunch of investors got angry at Nintendo or something for not trying to branch out and make something other then video games.

Sirotan posted:

Costco has a very generous return policy so buying things there feels pretty low risk. Kirkland brand products are usually pretty high quality at a low cost. Costco also tends to treat and pay its employees much better than similar warehouse type stores. In the capitalist hellscape that is America, it seems like one of the better places to shop imho.

Also their gas tends to be about $.20/gal cheaper than other nearby stations on the regular in my area. I wouldn't drive across town for it but a 10min detour? Sure.

The number one thing I've noticed is that Costco employees don't have any store uniform, just a name-tag. Freeing people from the prison of company mandated clothing is a major step forward.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of the few major institutional investors who was bullish on crypto has come out and said that "most crypto" is junk, but that Bitcoin and Etherium will survive. However, he thinks Bitcoin will probably crash down to 30% of its current value.

quote:

Bitcoin could drop further and fall to $8,000 from its current levels, Guggenheim Chief Investment Officer Scott Minerd predicted Monday.

That would represent a more than 70% drop to Monday morning's price of just over $30,000.

"When you break below 30,000 [dollars] consistently, 8,000 [dollars] is the ultimate bottom, so I think we have a lot more room to the downside, especially with the Fed being restrictive," Minerd told CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin in a "Squawk Box" interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland on Monday.

Minerd is referring to the U.S. Federal Reserve's hiking of interest rates and tightening of monetary policy.

Since falling below $30,000 earlier this month, bitcoin has struggled to rally substantially above that level. It has regularly dipped below $30,000.

If Minerd's forecast comes true, it would inflict further pain on bitcoin and the broader cryptocurrency market which has seen around $500 billion wiped off its value in the past month. Bitcoin is down around 24% in the last 30 days alone.

The CIO also said that most crypto is "junk" but that bitcoin and ethereum will survive.

The bitcoin people have decided that their hero has been either bought out or his family is being threatened.

quote:

The FUDD is baked into the fabric of these statements and even those who believe in them. Maybe instead of thinking of it as bitcoin "falling" 70%, you consider that BTC was originally worth fractions of a cent and 8k would still be multiple millions of percentage growth.

quote:

Why has he changed his tune? Did the white papers change? Did the blockchain change? Or did something about his safety change?

quote:

most ppl are ignorants and don't know what the hell they doing!

quote:

Panic selling is mostly selling without thinking and regreting the decision after. By definition this means that any sale of crypto is a panic sell in the long run. But, selling at a loss even more.

quote:

Selling at a loss is selling because you're panicking, it makes no sense to do so otherwise

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1494076067669168130

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The Cheap Dad Syndrome isn't just gas either, as we all know.

Look at people going ham at the Duty-Free shop on cruiseliners, or airliners where the price is actually higher than what you'd pay landside even on a double tax area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Vahakyla posted:

The Cheap Dad Syndrome isn't just gas either, as we all know.

Look at people going ham at the Duty-Free shop on cruiseliners, or airliners where the price is actually higher than what you'd pay landside even on a double tax area.

Yeah but at the duty free shop the money goes to the glorious capitalists and not the stinky government.