Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Trailer looks amazing but... 2023? Really? It's loving May of 2022. Why a trailer so far out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m1drlOZSDw

Mission: Impossible trailer is now officially online. Turns out the music was not a placeholder, but whatever.

I'll check it out, thanks!

I’m so loving on board with Punished Ilsa

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

looks like jeremy renner is out of MI for good or will they bring him in a few scenes before killing him off?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Future MI thread gonna have a trainwreck pun in the title I wager.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
maybe just the hawkeye scheduling getting in the way

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I told my wife about this thinking she'd be interested but she already knew about it because she said "Yeah, she's nude in it."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

I told my wife about this thinking she'd be interested but she already knew about it because she said "Yeah, she's nude in it."

Are you married to Mr. Skin or something?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

looks like jeremy renner is out of MI for good or will they bring him in a few scenes before killing him off?

Do many people die in the MI series these days? After the first three I kinda recall they’d gone to a much softer violence level, but I also haven’t seen any of the new ones except on their initial release

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The IMF director dies in 4 and 6, but I don't think any of the agents have died.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

The IMF director dies in 4 and 6, but I don't think any of the agents have died.

How quickly Emilio is forgotten.

I know the post before this said after the first three. I was just taking this post in isolation because I wanted to make this post. Leave me alone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

The female agent dies in 3 and uh the dude that plays Sawyer in Lost gets killed by the female assassin at the start of 4?

Those are the only 2 I can think of. 5-6 fully focused on the team and less in the other IMF parts so no deaths there.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thrawn527 posted:

How quickly Emilio is forgotten.

I know the post before this said after the first three. I was just taking this post in isolation because I wanted to make this post. Leave me alone.

Man that kill has stuck with me, utterly absurd but still horrifying

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's very over the top when everyone else is just shot and stabbed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Do many people die in the MI series these days? After the first three I kinda recall they’d gone to a much softer violence level, but I also haven’t seen any of the new ones except on their initial release

Hoping that the dude from the Tudors comes back as the big Bad

Love that they got the annoying CIA guy from the first one back, he's great. But now he's doing the stupid MI bad guy rationale thing about DESTROYING GOOD or whatever instead of his motivation in the first one, being an rear end in a top hat who just hated Tom Cruise

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair they were running a mole hunt and somebody that wasn't them killed everyone else on the team. Ethan sure looked guilty.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Hoping that the dude from the Tudors comes back as the big Bad

Love that they got the annoying CIA guy from the first one back, he's great. But now he's doing the stupid MI bad guy rationale thing about DESTROYING GOOD or whatever instead of his motivation in the first one, being an rear end in a top hat who just hated Tom Cruise

He's probably still being the rear end in a top hat who hates Tom Cruise. My guess is that Hunt is trying to say that whatever he's been tasked to do my the IMF is wrong, and that guy's speech is about how there is no "right or wrong", so he needs to get over it. And Ethan is, once again, going to go rogue. Because that's what he does. Because that guy was never CIA, right? He was Ethan's IMF boss. I think.

I don't think that was him being the "big bad" of the movie. But I could be wrong.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 23, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m so loving on board with Punished Ilsa
I really must rewatch 5 where she was introduced, because even though I saw 6 fairly recently, I can't remember a drat thing about Ilsa or what her deal is other than "she's an unreliable ally".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Payndz posted:

I really must rewatch 5 where she was introduced, because even though I saw 6 fairly recently, I can't remember a drat thing about Ilsa or what her deal is other than "she's an unreliable ally".

Pretty sure she was British Intelligence, and while she'd work with Ethan, she was still mainly working for her own country. So if her priorities and Ethan's didn't align, she'd mostly choose her own.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Pretty sure she was British Intelligence, and while she'd work with Ethan, she was still mainly working for her own country.

In 5 she’s MI6 who got caught in Syndicate bullshit. In 6 she’s sent to kill Lane and gets caught in Ethan bullshit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

edit: Never mind, I misread MI6 as IMF. I think due to MI6 looking like the shortened title of a Mission Impossible movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

Are you married to Mr. Skin or something?

Hm, I dunno. I should ask her for the timestamp(s).

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
gently caress yeah, another train fight. I don't really like callbacks most of the time but the way this one seems to be calling back to the first film gives me tingles. Can't wait.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
5 isn't a bad movie, but sandwiched inbetween 4 and 6, it is pretty boring by comparison.

Disappointed that we never got to see Vanessa Redgrave make another cameo.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
quote edit

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In 5 she’s MI6 who got caught in Syndicate bullshit. In 6 she’s sent to kill Lane and gets caught in Ethan bullshit.

She was deep cover and her boss threatened to sell her out when she stood up for herself. Then Ethan framed him for attacking the Prime Minister.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

looks like jeremy renner is out of MI for good
Oh thank god
I liked him doing his best Pesci in American Hustle but lord can he be a charisma black hole sometimes

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I get that cool stunts happened more and more as the series progressed but i still prefer MI3 for its better cast/direction/plotting. Cool stunts just leave me numb if I also have to listen to Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg banter, or if it's the billionth time Scandinavian Dudes Wanna Nuke the World. You really cant beat PSH.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I love all my MI children in different ways, even M:I2.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chemtrailologist posted:

5 isn't a bad movie, but sandwiched inbetween 4 and 6, it is pretty boring by comparison.

Disappointed that we never got to see Vanessa Redgrave make another cameo.

hot take: they're all good.

Also the assassin that kills Sawyer has a glorious death, kicked out the open window of the tallest building in the world.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I get that cool stunts happened more and more as the series progressed but i still prefer MI3 for its better cast/direction/plotting. Cool stunts just leave me numb if I also have to listen to Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg banter, or if it's the billionth time Scandinavian Dudes Wanna Nuke the World. You really cant beat PSH.

I disagree about the stunts, but I agree that the series has been hurting for a villain as great as PSH. But, I mean, c'mon. Of course it would. PSH was a tough act to follow.

I liked Cavill, though. And I liked that Fallout didn't hide that he was the villain. McQuarrie said that the phone reveal (when Cavill shows the wrong phone to Angela Bassett, making it clear he's a bad guy) was done early on purpose, because he wanted you to be able to root against him for the whole movie. And it was a good choice.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
PSH's villain is memorable because of the performance but he's just as underwritten as any of them. I think him being on a revenge mission against Hunt is sorta boring tbh.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh thank god
I liked him doing his best Pesci in American Hustle but lord can he be a charisma black hole sometimes

He look like mashed potato

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
PSH's "I'm going to hurt her" monologue is M:I-III's version of climbing the Burj Khalifa.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
That and the intro, and calm (until it wasn’t) countdown. PSH was so awesome

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat I really need to pick up the MI series in 4k and rewatch them all again. This leads me to a quandary: buy the 6-disc set, knowing future individual releases will happen, or spend more and pick up the individual releases, so everything matches better? :negative:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sirotan posted:

drat I really need to pick up the MI series in 4k and rewatch them all again. This leads me to a quandary: buy the 6-disc set, knowing future individual releases will happen, or spend more and pick up the individual releases, so everything matches better? :negative:

Just remember that the individual releases will probably change their look at some point, too, so they won’t match too much. Though more than odd entries out of a box set.

It’s a lost cause either way.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This is one of the minor bonuses of having all of my movies in iTunes now. I will occasionally log in and say, “Oh! I guess that’s what that whole movie series looks like now.”

Coincidentally, this is also one of the minor drawbacks to having all of my movies in iTunes now. I will occasionally log in and say, “Oh…I guess that’s what that whole movie series looks like now.”

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

thrawn527 posted:

Just remember that the individual releases will probably change their look at some point, too, so they won’t match too much. Though more than odd entries out of a box set.

It’s a lost cause either way.

:negative::negative::negative:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://youtu.be/Go8nTmfrQd8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

hot take: they're all good.

Also the assassin that kills Sawyer has a glorious death, kicked out the open window of the tallest building in the world.

and then james bond sacrificed himself to save that assassin and her kid. small spy world