Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lol at $440 for their $200 grill with upgraded finishes.

"Wood-like handles" made me laugh since my dad's Weber had actual wood handles that eventually rotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

edit: never mind you are aware of pinwheel steaks

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
First time doing ribs on the new (used) WSM.

St. Louis ribs over Cowboy lump. Added one piece of cherry wood and one piece of hickory. Won’t be wrapping. Just letting them go. Trying to keep the temp 225-235.

On top of the water pan being full, it’s also a very humid day. Doubt I will need to spritz but we’ll see. Will also make sure I don’t mop too soon. Last time I added bbq sauce and let them go another hour. By that time the sugar caused them to take on too much color and I missed that nice mahogany finish. Will mop with 15-20 minutes to go.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ribs perform best at 250-270. They might turn out dry at 225.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to grill or maybe smoke some wings tonight. Suggestions? If I grill them should I avoid a rub with any sugar in it?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m going to grill or maybe smoke some wings tonight. Suggestions? If I grill them should I avoid a rub with any sugar in it?

This is the way I always do them and I *love* how they turn out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpguAa21Rc8

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Ribs perform best at 250-270. They might turn out dry at 225.

You know… I have in my notes to try cooking them at a higher temp, so maybe today is the day.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Ribs are great at 225. I don't crank to 275 unless I'm in a rush.

Got pork butt going today and I'm still not over 200 at 17 hours. :mad:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

This is the way I always do them and I *love* how they turn out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpguAa21Rc8

Intriguing. Wonder if I could replicate this in my akorn with the chimney starter

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Holy poo poo that’s a lot of pullback for just 4 hours!

Pretty drat bendy too, but when I stuck a toothpick between the bones there was a decent amount of resistance. I think these will need another hour.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

5 hours was right on the money. Anymore they would have been overdone and dry. Never had St Louis ribs be done that fast. Glad I checked them when I did.

Very happy with the color. Very happy with the taste. Texture was on point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mixed up a spicy dust and put them on the Akorn. Skin could have been crispier but flavor and doneness were great.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
For those of you with pellet smokers, it looks like Costco has started stocking 40lb bags of Kirkland Signature pellets for $12.99.

Apparently produced by Pit Boss but sold under the Costco branding.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Mixed up a spicy dust and put them on the Akorn. Skin could have been crispier but flavor and doneness were great.

Just a little bit of baking powder and kosher salt sprinkled on the skin and left to air dry in the fridge for a few hours, prior to cooking, will help the crispness immensely. Crispy skin is my favorite part of chicken.

EDIT: Make sure to put the meat on a cooling rack over a shallow baking pan. This draws some moisture out so there WILL be drippage and cleaning raw chicken juice sounds like a sanitation nightmare.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 22, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Fall Dog posted:

For those of you with pellet smokers, it looks like Costco has started stocking 40lb bags of Kirkland Signature pellets for $12.99.

Apparently produced by Pit Boss but sold under the Costco branding.

Interesting, I’m going to check mine today!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Just a little bit of baking powder and kosher salt sprinkled on the skin and left to air dry in the fridge for a few hours, prior to cooking, will help the crispness immensely. Crispy skin is my favorite part of chicken.

Seconding baking powder for wings. It definitely makes them wicked crispy.

I have started doing the same to roast chickens and turkeys to give their skin that extra crispy factor.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Interesting, I’m going to check mine today!

So far they've been seen in a few of the South Carolina stores, and there was meant to be more heading to Chicago.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, I cooked the hell out of that ribeye last night after a 2-day dry-brine and hit a pretty perfect medium-rare with it. My roommate (who actually really likes ribeye) thought it was fantastic and ate most of it, but I just could not really enjoy it because of the copious fat in the cut :(. Which honestly makes me sad because I really *want* to love ribeyes, but I just somehow cannot really properly enjoy the texture of the meat because I just don’t like it no matter how I try. There were definitely a few bites that were pretty good but I could barely swallow other bites, oh well.

This is contrasted with tenderloin, which I truly and wholeheartedly love and adore and eat each and every last bite of every time I cook it. So, even though it’s annoyingly expensive (and a little boring) at times I guess I’ll just stick to working with my filet mignon. Any cheaper cuts reminiscent of tenderloin in terms of leanness you guys recommend? I haven’t hosed with NY Strip much at all since I started cooking steaks, so maybe I’ll give that a shot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Different strokes for different folks. I love ribeyes, but I also don't love taking a bite of solid fat. I cut a decent amount off, which I am sure makes some people cringe, but that's how I like to eat it. If you hadn't tried NY strips much, they sound right down your alley. Much more lean, but not quite a filet. You can absolutely get some NY strips that are well-marbled and have great flavor.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 23, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

kaworu posted:

Well, I cooked the hell out of that ribeye last night after a 2-day dry-brine and hit a pretty perfect medium-rare with it. My roommate (who actually really likes ribeye) thought it was fantastic and ate most of it, but I just could not really enjoy it because of the copious fat in the cut :(. Which honestly makes me sad because I really *want* to love ribeyes, but I just somehow cannot really properly enjoy the texture of the meat because I just don’t like it no matter how I try. There were definitely a few bites that were pretty good but I could barely swallow other bites, oh well.

This is contrasted with tenderloin, which I truly and wholeheartedly love and adore and eat each and every last bite of every time I cook it. So, even though it’s annoyingly expensive (and a little boring) at times I guess I’ll just stick to working with my filet mignon. Any cheaper cuts reminiscent of tenderloin in terms of leanness you guys recommend? I haven’t hosed with NY Strip much at all since I started cooking steaks, so maybe I’ll give that a shot.

I recently had the opposite revelation and pretty much only eat Ribeyes and can't imagine getting a filet again, lol. Gobs of fat are gross, but the marbling on a Prime+ ribeye? Ooo baby.

Top sirloin is more affordable than the tenderloin but fairly similar. Lean but tender if you are careful how you cook it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

kaworu posted:

Any cheaper cuts reminiscent of tenderloin in terms of leanness you guys recommend? I haven’t hosed with NY Strip much at all since I started cooking steaks, so maybe I’ll give that a shot.

Gonna second Strip Steaks. They're not "tenderloin lean"; rather, I look at them more as a "Ribeye-lite", where (to me) the flavor is almost as big as ribeye, but without the huge chunks of fat.

Edit: that being said, I don't think you need to feel bad about leaving big hunks of fat on the plate after finishing a ribeye. Everyone has a different tolerance for fat; eat the good stuff and leave the rest behind. If you find that you're leaving a lot of meat behind because the marbling itself is just too much, then yeah, try downshifting to a Strip and try again. (Strip has a thinner, tougher fat cap/band around the outside edge of one side of the steak; you'll need to be able to cut that off and accept that you probably won't want to eat that. But you shouldn't have a lot of waste left on the plate.)

Zarin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 23, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I eat ribeyes cause I'm all about that deckle

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

kaworu posted:

Honestly if you like tenderloin and you know it's because you prefer lean and fine-textured beef, you can pretty much eyeball whatever steak and tell if you'll like it (the less marbling/intramuscular fat you see and the finer a grain you see, the more like tenderloin it is). NY strip is a pretty good choice. You can even try something lean and coarser textured (like a top round) to see if you like that, though it may be too tough for you. Unfortunately for you, lean and fine-texture is rare to find on the cow and is gonna make up the most expensive cuts (with the possible exception of ribeye).

Also, just to check, you're cutting around the big visible pieces of fat when you're eating a ribeye, right? When people talk about enjoying the fattiness of ribeye or similar cuts, it's because of the little tiny bits of fat spread throughout the muscle, the bigger visible pieces are mostly along for the ride and most people cut around them. Just wanted to be sure, since I can totally see taking a big bite of mostly fat and not being into that (though I'll admit even that can be nice once or twice if the steak is perfectly done).

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Thanks for all the good info guys! I’ll definitely look for a nice thick-cut well-marbled NY Strip to try. I was actually thinking about getting one last time, but the NY strip they had at the time had very little marbling and didn’t look all that fantastic, but that’s definitely not always the case. Top Sirloin is another great idea, it often looks fairly similar to the tenderloin visually, I’ve noticed.

And yeah I definitely wasn’t eating the big knob of fat in the center of the ribeye, but it was *very* well marbled for a choice steak, and my roommate told me it was definitely a really nice ribeye… it was the one I posted some pics of on the last page. I really wanted to like it, but even the Spinalis, while tasty and juicy, had a fatty texture to the meat I just did not much like.

It’s definitely the texture of fat/deeply marbled meat and not the flavor that I object to, which is sort of frustrating. I do like finding tenderloin that has nice marbling though, and for some reason the bits of fat I leave on the side of filets never taste bad or weird in terms of texture to me. The guys at my supermarket leave the silverskin on the filets for some reason though, and the first time when I failed to trim THAT off it was a really unpleasant experience to discover that it wasn’t just a layer of fat that renders down, yikes.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 23, 2022

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I am of a similar mind to you in that I do not really care for ribeye steaks and love some tenderloin. My go to cheaper alternative to tenderloin is the hanger steak, which I finally found a regular supply of locally. It can be hard to find, but if you can, you should not pass it up. Tri-Tip is also another one of my favorite cuts, just do not make the mistake of treating it like brisket as so many bad BBQ joints do.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Personally, my preferences go Rib Eye -> Tenderloin -> NY Strip -> flat iron (aka hanger) -> skirt -> Top Sirloin -> etc...

I feel the NY Strip gives up too much flavor over a tenderloins texture, especially if served with a nice brandy au poivre or herb butter. I might be prejudiced against top sirloin because when you go someplace that has 'cheap steaks' it's almost always an over cooked top sirloin.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

kaworu posted:

And yeah I definitely wasn’t eating the big knob of fat in the center of the ribeye, but it was *very* well marbled for a choice steak, and my roommate told me it was definitely a really nice ribeye… it was the one I posted some pics of on the last page. I really wanted to like it, but even the Spinalis, while tasty and juicy, had a fatty texture to the meat I just did not much like.

That one on the last page looked decent for a Kroger choice steak, but with a Prime you'd get fewer of the big chunks. If the texture was a problem, making sure to get a really hard sear on it can cause it to hold together better. I know I vastly prefer them on cast iron to grilled or what have you.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've largely been too poor most of my life to really be able to rank steaks. It seems like porterhouse/tbone is largely regarded as the "best" from what I've read though. I really want to try a tomahawk. Could never justify one but the presentation potential is undeniable.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Murgos posted:

Personally, my preferences go Rib Eye -> Tenderloin -> NY Strip -> flat iron (aka hanger) -> skirt -> Top Sirloin -> etc...

I feel the NY Strip gives up too much flavor over a tenderloins texture, especially if served with a nice brandy au poivre or herb butter. I might be prejudiced against top sirloin because when you go someplace that has 'cheap steaks' it's almost always an over cooked top sirloin.

While flat iron steaks have some similarities in taste and texture to hanger, they are completely different cuts of beef, from completely different parts of the cow.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Fall Dog posted:

So far they've been seen in a few of the South Carolina stores, and there was meant to be more heading to Chicago.

I got my bag, a good deal for that many pellets. Hopefully they burn well.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fenris13 posted:

While flat iron steaks have some similarities in taste and texture to hanger, they are completely different cuts of beef, from completely different parts of the cow.

Well, how about that. Good to know.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

I've largely been too poor most of my life to really be able to rank steaks. It seems like porterhouse/tbone is largely regarded as the "best" from what I've read though. I really want to try a tomahawk. Could never justify one but the presentation potential is undeniable.

A T bone steak is just a cut with the bone in where one side is the ny strip and the other is the tenderloin. So, yeah it's really good but not 'better' than those two independently...

A tomahawk chop is just a really thick cut rib eye with an extended bone left in and cleaned.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I’m not a huge steak guy but I prefer porterhouse over ribeye.

I like that porterhouse has a nice bone in it and you get a little variety. On the big side of the bone you essentially have a NY strip and on the small side you have a nice soft tenderloin.

Best of both worlds.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Going to try my first brisket on my new Chargriller 980 this weekend. I haven't attempted to smoke a brisket for a while so I'm trying to refresh myself. I've got a monster 18lb brisket from Costco but I figure it will get down to 15-16 lbs after trimming. I think I'm gonna generally go with Mad Scientist BBQs guide, wrapping in butcher paper with smoked tallow after I've got a good bark and good fat rendering. After all the reading I've been doing I realize I wasn't resting my brisket long enough before, and you should rest it for at least 2 hours but could go up to 12+ hours as long as the temp stays above 140 which gives good leeway for having it done by eating time.

I want to try to have food all done and ready by 2-3 on Saturday. For this size brisket should I expect a 12 hour cook or longer? If I start it early Friday morning, let's say 9AM, it could get done anywhere from 9PM to midnight, then would end up taking a 12 hour rest in a cooler and/or oven. I'm worried if I start it too late it'll be done in the middle of the night and to be honest I'm having friends in town so I'll probably be too drunk to reliably set a temp alarm and wake up to take it off. I could also try starting it later Friday, to have it ready to wrap up by midnight or so, then finish cooking overnight to be done in the morning, but I'm not used to my smoker yet so I'd be leery of leaving it unattended overnight.

Also, when I did brisket before I used Meathead's guide, dry brining, then injecting with beef broth before rubbing. Quite a few of the videos I've watched it seems like they just trim, season with salt/pepper rub then straight on the smoker. I'm leaning towards using Meatchurch Holy Cow rub which already has some salt in it, so should I dry brine and inject, or just rub before going on the smoker?

Any tips on start time to not screw this up?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I figured the pork butt I was doing this past weekend would take 10-12 hours, so I started it the night before just to be safe. It took 18 hours and I juuuust had enough time to rest it before dinner the next day. When in doubt always, always give yourself more time.

I'm also not a huge fan of injecting since it introduces potential pathogens into the interior of the meat (with no guarantee you'll get it to 140 in 4 hours) but YMMV.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I figured the pork butt I was doing this past weekend would take 10-12 hours, so I started it the night before just to be safe. It took 18 hours and I juuuust had enough time to rest it before dinner the next day. When in doubt always, always give yourself more time.

I'm also not a huge fan of injecting since it introduces potential pathogens into the interior of the meat (with no guarantee you'll get it to 140 in 4 hours) but YMMV.

Was it 30 lbs or did you cook it at 185? That seems like a long time.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Seems about right for me. An 8 pound pork shoulder took 16 hours to get done once.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Chad Sexington posted:

Whatever you are injecting with should be salty enough that it's not a potential pathogen vector. Your injector should be clean enough to not be a potential pathogen vector. If you are worried about surface pathogens getting pushed into the meat via the injector, inject after applying the salty rub.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Last butt I smoked I had it on smoke for 10 hours before I pulled it, wrapped it and finished it in a 250 oven with a probe with an alarm because gently caress staying up all night.

Once the smoke is on and it’s wrapped I don’t see the need to keep screwing with coals and etc…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For a brisket I recommend injecting. It's cheap and quick and moves the goal posts further apart for you. I have used Amazing Ribs Big Bad Beef Rub with good results as well as just salt and pepper. I don't crutch my meat when it's been properly brined. Super easy and turns out wonderful, all it costs is time.