Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Doomykins posted:

I notice nobody contests Dancer being at the bottom, that class trained me like Pavlov's Dog to avoid it. All the downsides of Bard, twice the work, half the impact. And a LB that trains everyone to focus you to 0 immediately for low impact CC.. oof. I guess the fantasy and theme is cool but that's it.

What's the game plan for pvp Ast?

I’ve seen some good Dancers but rarely. They’re almost always poo poo. You can be great at it, but why take the effort at becoming the best Dancer when you can pick Ninja or Dragoon and be just as good with half the effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Some people seem to see brd as a threat cause I got focused down first and instantly a few times last night.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

today, long after finishing 6.1, and after leveling multiple classes from 1-60 for the garo event and going "wow, the six level jump from Qarn to Stone Vigil is really weird," and after hearing the name Cutter's Cry over and over and assuming it was an ARR dungeon that I simply did when leveling and somehow never pulled in a roulette again, I have finally learned cutter's cry has an unlock quest and I've never done it lmao

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

Some people seem to see brd as a threat cause I got focused down first and instantly a few times last night.

Based on some of the times I've been focused and nuked at first sight as a summoner, I assume sometimes it's a matter of "pick somebody with low defenses and kill them fast to make it a 5v4".

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Thundarr posted:

Gotta admit, CC can get real fuckin' discouraging when I get obliterated instantly no matter how much HP I have when I hit guard, and some monk can get wailed on by 3 people for 10 seconds, then hit Guard, and still get away somehow.

monks are actually incredibly hard to kill in CC, they have a on-demand 6k shield on a 10s cooldown with 3 charges and riddle of earth heals 50% of stored damage. They don't have crazy defensive tools like a Paladin so it's hard if they're the only melee, but if someone else can take a little heat then I can live basically forever.

The Black Stones posted:

If anything I’d say the PvP job that requires someone the most to be on the ball is Monk. You can be halfway decent and still do a good job as a Dragoon or Ninja or WHM. However, whenever I see Monk it’s going to either be someone who has no idea how to hit their buttons and does absolutely no damage and they got blown up multiple times, or they’re top of the damage chart. I rarely see something in between. I was surprised to see Monk so high on that list but maybe they made it under the assumption that a top tier player is playing it. Or JPN Monks are better at the class, because I’ve rarely gone “oh yay I have a monk”

I fully agree with this. I did monk from bronze to crystal and I think it has a huge skill floor. A monk, played well, can tank a crazy high amount of damage, put a fairly strong burst window on someone every 20 seconds, and also declare an enemy person dead every 60 seconds. Bad monks run around, vaguely annoy a target, and then just stun someone for a few seconds every minute.

The high rank doesn't surprise me either. They were soured on early on because the extra 8k damage from pressure point from Enlightenment never worked before 6.11 (which then buffed it to 12k). Now that they actually work, I think people are realizing that Meteodrive is really, really strong. If used correctly, there is nearly zero way for the target to live through it no matter how much health or mana they have. Either you kill them, or your buddies kill them.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 23, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah Enlightenment > Meteodrive is a free kill on any job on the lower end of the max HP scale and incredibly easy to set up a kill for on the sturdier jobs. Monk is quite strong.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Beginning to think the only thing reaper really has going for it is an AoE guard break.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

A Moose posted:

Just hang out giving incremental advantages to your team. Macrocosmos does damage in an AoE, puts a buff on your nearby teammates that stores damage they take, and then you pop it again for a heal based on the stored damage. Use your cards on cooldown. Using double cast correctly is the hardest part. If someone is getting focused, your heal + double cast is a big heal + shield, Gravity is a small AoE heavy, but the doublecast is a snare. if you have to use doublecast on Malefic, it at least refunds part of the cooldown, but you don't do very much damage.

LB reduces damage your enemies deal, increases damage your teammates deal, also the spell effect is huge and flashy and can distract people.

The longer you live, the more your team wins, because you're just constantly throwing out heals, making LBs come up faster, buffing your teammates. You're not usually a high priority target like WHM so you don't get focused a lot.

Many thanks, friend.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t know that I understand the point of the Sacred Claim mechanic with Paladin’s PvP LB chain. I get that the first hit benefits from you having applied SC with Confiteor, but the Blades all apply SC and benefit from it, so they’ll always get the bonus. Is it just a penalty for switching targets midway through?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Corbeau posted:

Beginning to think the only thing reaper really has going for it is an AoE guard break.

Honestly I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but Reaper feels better than people give it credit for. It's both tanky and mobile, Death Warrant forces people to play around you or take a fat damage spike, and ever since the buff the LB feels like it's constantly up. Even if the damage isn't super impressive, the CC effect is killer.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

every reaper I've seen in pvp has been on the losing team

unless the opposing team also had a reaper

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah, it's definitely on the weak side, I'm just saying it feels better than Dancer or especially Gunbreaker.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Reaper has a secret I win button in overtime at least.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Wow. Had a completely disastrous run tanking the level 90 MSQ dungeon this morning :negative: I kept eating poo poo on bigpulls; I don't know what I was doing wrong, I usually don't die or even really come close most of the time when I'm bigpulling and using my mitigation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Wow. Had a completely disastrous run tanking the level 90 MSQ dungeon this morning :negative: I kept eating poo poo on bigpulls; I don't know what I was doing wrong, I usually don't die or even really come close most of the time when I'm bigpulling and using my mitigation.

I mean that could be any number of things. You could've had an off tanking day, the healer could've been bad, the DPS wasn't enough to deal with the trash packs fast enough. What was the comp cause some DPS combos are uh... quite a bit slower than others.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I mean that could be any number of things. You could've had an off tanking day, the healer could've been bad, the DPS wasn't enough to deal with the trash packs fast enough. What was the comp cause some DPS combos are uh... quite a bit slower than others.

Reaper and Red Mage, but like, I was eating poo poo really fast before my Big Cooldowns (Vengeance or Rampart) even expired; I even went for Holmgang when I noticed my HP plummeting but I died before getting the buff and it went on CD anyway. :negative:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Reaper and Red Mage, but like, I was eating poo poo really fast before my Big Cooldowns (Vengeance or Rampart) even expired; I even went for Holmgang when I noticed my HP plummeting but I died before getting the buff and it went on CD anyway. :negative:

Your gear a bunch of trash?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You're leading with Bloodwhetting and using it every 25 seconds? I find that usually once that expires Vengeance and Equilibrium (at an appropriate time, about half health) are enough to slow my health drop until Bloodwhetting is back or the pack's dead. Every once in a while things just seem to hit harder though, probably based on what the healer's doing.

Remember (advice in general to tanks): there's a reason they made your best defensive button have the shortest cooldown. It is never the wrong time to press it unless you're in a savage raid with specific things you know you want to hold it for. Warrior's is best in dungeons/gets the attention because of how it scales with trash packs, but every job's version is pretty dang good.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 23, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

don't forget Reprisal and Arm's Length too, they're up in time for every pack!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

don't forget Reprisal and Arm's Length too, they're up in time for every pack!

With the 2min cooldowns I usually do Vengeance on one pack, then Rampart/Arm's Length on the next (I know Rampart's 90 but Arm's Length needs some help rather than being a solo CD) while using the shorter cooldowns as needed to stall for Bloodwhetting. You're right that the 60s stuff can be used pretty freely as well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 23, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZZT the Fifth posted:

By 90 MSQ are you talking about Dead Ends? Cause I just recently learned the first part of that dungeon has damage floors that can gently caress you up if you're not paying attention.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

With the 2min cooldowns I usually do Vengeance on one pack, then Rampart/Arm's Length on the next (I know Rampart's 90 but Arm's Length needs some help rather than being a solo CD) while using the shorter cooldowns as needed to stall for Bloodwhetting. You're right that the 60s stuff can be used pretty freely as well.

I usually use rampart first because it'll be back before the second pack is dead if I press it right away

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
My accessories were a little old (early 80s) because it's my second class to 90 and I didn't get a lot of EW dungeons in the roulettes, yeah. I made sure to pick up the AF gear and put it in my set at 89 though.

My usual bigpull strategy is that for the first pack I lead with Rampart and Bloodwhetting/RI, then pop Reprisal as Rampart runs out with Bloodwhetting/RI being repopped on cooldown. Second pack I do Vengeance and Bloodwhetting/RI, then Arm's Length as that runs out, again with Bloodwhetting/RI being popped like popcorn because who doesn't love giving yourself 3 Benedictions?

That said, I was eating poo poo on the bigpulls and wayching my health plummet before my "major" (Rampart/Vengeance) mitigation buffs even really got close to expiring, so I'm wondering if it really was just my gear that was bad, or if I was bad.

e:

Electric Phantasm posted:

By 90 MSQ are you talking about Dead Ends? Cause I just recently learned the first part of that dungeon has damage floors that can gently caress you up if you're not paying attention.

I dunno, I was eating poo poo on bigpulls in all 3 sections.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 23, 2022

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So AF gear and early 80s accessories? If you're going to be close to the ilvl min, tanking the level 90 dungeons is going to hurt a bit, although it should be doable. It gets much more comfortable once you've upgraded some stuff -- I'd probably prioritize upgrading your left side, as well as getting at least i560 on your right (the level 90 dungeons will drop these). Crafted classical gear is i580 and pretty cheap on the MB, iirc?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the healer can't keep you up during the period when vengeance is on then it's either too big of a pull for your gear, or too big of a pull for the healer

That said, for triple pulls, it's normal for it to feel a bit spicy. And sometimes something that feels iffy isn't actually iffy at all--a skilled healer will often let you get low before even pressing buttons because there's no point in overhealing. The time to worry is if they're mashing cure 2 and it's barely keeping up with the enemy damage. Which, again, is normal-ish for triple pulls but usually a sign that something is wrong if it's happening in double pulls.

You'll still complete the dungeon of course even if something is wrong--just pop some extra CDs for that pull and switch to single pulling for the rest of the dungeon and eat the extra few minutes

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Do the level 90 dungeons even have any triples? I could swear they're all two packs and a wall, albeit with decently large packs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Antivehicular posted:

Do the level 90 dungeons even have any triples? I could swear they're all two packs and a wall, albeit with decently large packs.

I don't think so so maybe that part of the advice was irrelevant

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The only exception that comes to mind is (6.1 dungeon spoilers) the Rampart/portal guys in Alzadaal, where slow or unfocused DPS can make those packs functionally triple-pulls or more. I'd definitely recommend a tank in min ilvl gear single-pull through those sections to keep things from going to total poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

The only exception that comes to mind is (6.1 dungeon spoilers) the Rampart/portal guys in Alzadaal, where slow or unfocused DPS can make those packs functionally triple-pulls or more. I'd definitely recommend a tank in min ilvl gear single-pull through those sections to keep things from going to total poo poo.

Nobody ever focuses the gates, but that's okay because I'm awesome and can survive barely.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

You'll still complete the dungeon of course even if something is wrong--just pop some extra CDs for that pull and switch to single pulling for the rest of the dungeon and eat the extra few minutes

I ended up doing single pulls for most of the dungeon, yeah; and even then I was still coming close to death.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I ended up doing single pulls for most of the dungeon, yeah; and even then I was still coming close to death.

Thinking back on it that sounds like my first runs of that place back in the day, so my guess is you either had a healer as low-geared as you were, or someone used to their tanks being higher and having more leeway.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, it may be useful to say "hey, I just got to 90 and my gear is kinda low, may need more healing" to alert your healer.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Thinking back on it that sounds like my first runs of that place back in the day, so my guess is you either had a healer as low-geared as you were, or someone used to their tanks being higher and having more leeway.

Yeah. I probably should invest in replacing my lower level accessories at this point, and maybe see if crafted weapons and armor are affordable while I'm thinking about it.

To be honest, the main reason I'm targeting Dead Ends is for the minion.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Thundarr posted:

Based on some of the times I've been focused and nuked at first sight as a summoner, I assume sometimes it's a matter of "pick somebody with low defenses and kill them fast to make it a 5v4".

if no one else on my team is doing markers, I slap one on the most annoying class on the other team which is usually SMN or a healer.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I personally always beeline Black Mages. Those bastards will do a lot of work if you don't bully them into the ground like the nerds they are.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The final MSQ dungeon for EW was the hardest hitting of the three dungeons before the most recent dropped, and it's still harder hitting than the newest when you have 600 gear.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The final MSQ dungeon for EW was the hardest hitting of the three dungeons before the most recent dropped, and it's still harder hitting than the newest when you have 600 gear.

That's because it syncs you down to 570 though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Has the hardest bosses too imo.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has the hardest bosses too imo.

Ehhhhh I dunno. First boss is pretty easy as tank if you know how his Biggest Gimmick works, and the third boss is even easier than that if you have a handle on the gimmicks. I'll give you the second boss though, there's A Lot to pay attention to there and you have to spread out and be constantly on the move for most of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

My problem with the first boss of the 6.0 90 MSQ dungeon is that I can mostly tank him properly, but I often accidentally catch a doom stack and sometimes don't get Esuna-ed, either because the healer is new/struggling or (much worse) because the healer thinks eating a mech in Expert means you deserve the death, I guess?

I've had some weird problems with healers in Expert getting aggro about imperfect play. I was in a run of the 6.1 MSQ dungeon where one DPS had some issues on the second boss and the healer lost their poo poo at them for the rest of the dungeon, because a DPS ending up in bads is a terrible crime?? It was wild.