Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So when this show gets canceled will people blame it on the sex scenes and master cheeks or will they look at the weak writing and wasted budget making it a money pit?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

So when this show gets canceled will people blame it on the sex scenes and master cheeks or will they look at the weak writing and wanted budget making it a money pit?

the sex scenes are weak writing, op.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeep posted:

"Helmets! Helmets!" I scream at the screen as a team of highly trained, elite soldiers repeatedly talk about losing hull integrity on their light spacecraft.

I can live with it, provided the show never ever has one of the spartans get killed because their helmet was off when they're suited up. As long as they don't break that rule, I can deal with them wanting to show actors emoting, fine, whatever.

But if they ever break that, even once, its going to call into question how idiotic it is that they take them off on battlefields all the time, and will make every following instance of it happening in the show a point to yell at the screen for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

See I'm just waiting for the usual outrage train to come along, just like it did for the crappy Cowboy Bebop adaptation and claim that it's all the fault of wokeness and beta cuck males that a show got canceled.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

See I'm just waiting for the usual outrage train to come along, just like it did for the crappy Cowboy Bebop adaptation and claim that it's all the fault of wokeness and beta cuck males that a show got canceled.

The Cowboy Bebop adaptation failed for a whole lot of reason and wokeness was not one of them.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They make sense in a world where you only have one episode to speedrun the entire John/Makee character arc, because it's a cheap, quick way to show an emotional connection, but good writing would never have ended up in that situation in the first place.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Cowboy Bebop adaptation failed for a whole lot of reason and wokeness was not one of them.

That's the point I'm trying to make. There is a fuckton of stuff wrong with Bebop just like there's a fuckton of stuff wrong with this Halo show, but when it comes to the internet rage train talking about why the show failed they only focus on right wing clickbait headlines about how Chief being naked and not being a murder golem is the death of society.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hoping to see Hunters in season 2, if there is one.

They renewed for season 2 before season 1 even started.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Season one felt like something that had gone through multiple groups of show runners and been filmed entirely during peak COVID before being hacked together into what we saw by different people

Hopefully they Poochy Kwan for season two because the good bits are pretty good, and also seem to drive reactionary gamers mad with rage

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Marvel completely loving ruined helmet/masks forever. It's all nanotech bullshit so you can have the cake of full mask CGI / stunt action that automatically switches to actor face on demand. I loving hate it. If your character is meant to be a literal walking tank that never takes his helmet commit to it, drat it.

This is why Karl Urban owns.

Karl Urban has had an amazing career.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sammus posted:

Karl Urban has had an amazing career.

Absolutely criminal that this man was not given another Dredd movie with the same creative team.

e: God that move was so fuckin good

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Dredd helmet allowes Urban to emote a lot more than a full helmet would have. Even if most of the time he's presenting a hell of a scowl.

And I thought taking off Chiefs helmet was a mistake at first but as the show went on, I ended up agreeing that doing so was the right choice to make.

If I'm not mistaken his helmet was never removed in the games because it partially allowed the players to impose themselves as Master Chief. His actions were your actions.

In the show he's very much his own person. I mean he starts off as YOUR Master Chief but also he belongs to Halsey. By taking off his helmet he begins the path to reclaiming his identity from the system and people and the players who controlled his actions for years. He makes his own choices and decides for himself what he's going to do.

Which makes the fact that he's a silent automaton at the end of the season kind of sad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh God I just realized that season 2 is definitely going to at least have one episode, if not much of the season, taking place in John's head as he and Cortana work together to get him back in control. If the rapport of him and Cortana continues going like it has developed so far, then it might not even be bad. But I'm bracing for impact on that one.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
He takes off his helmet at the end of Halo 1, they just cut away so you can't see it. Of course, people have messed around with the game to move the camera and discovered that underneath Chief helmet is (ending of Halo 1 spoiler) another helmet lol. But yeah, the precedent for Chief taking off his helmet when the fighting stops was established in the very first game.

I know they do the same thing at the end of Halo 4. When the combat stops, Chief takes off his helmet... and you actually get to see his face there and he looks vaguely like Pablo Schrieber anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBH1fGIje24

I agree with this though:

AndyElusive posted:

In the show he's very much his own person. I mean he starts off as YOUR Master Chief but also he belongs to Halsey. By taking off his helmet he begins the path to reclaiming his identity from the system and people and the players who controlled his actions for years. He makes his own choices and decides for himself what he's going to do.

Which makes the fact that he's a silent automaton at the end of the season kind of sad.

Silent chief was kind of sad.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Sally posted:

Silent chief was kind of sad.

Also a really dumb cliffhanger. Cortana has been chatty all season, there's no reason for her not to explain what's going on to the other Spartans other than artificial drama.

I'm pretty Halo agnostic in general, I hated the first game on initial release and I'm not a helmet purist. I thought John taking his off in the pilot to show vulnerability to Kwan was a nice touch but there have been times during this show were Spartans absolutely should have had their helmets on and they didn't. I was half expecting Kai to die of a head injury from being thrown around in the back of that Pelican.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

If he didn't remove the helmet everyone would compare it to ripping off Mando

But then he just spends most of the show wearing his PJs or something

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope we get an episode inside John's head with Cortana and they bone. This will show who was actually mad that John had sex, or they were just bad or wasn't with Cortana.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope we get an episode inside John's head with Cortana and they bone. This will show who was actually mad that John had sex, or they were just bad or wasn't with Cortana.

Have the rest of the episode outside that scene have everybody else wearing a Master Chief helmet the whole time. Muffle the audio.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This plot point of cortana taking over was done much better in the movie Upgrade

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

It was already being compared to The Mandalorian as a reason for the Halo show to keep his helmet on.

And I mean safety reasons aside, Mando kept his helmet on partially as a result of his religion.

Chief kept his on so he could be a beacon of hope for the UNSC and the Spartan program as a whole since it made him a faceless symbol.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

raverrn posted:

I really feel like ten thousand marines would have been a huge help in these circumstances.

Feels like a missed opportunity to have some ODST in the show. Or they could at least have filled up the pelican with some marines

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When they had that scene where they were prepping to go attack the Covenant world I thought that's when they'd have Captain Keyes do something but nope he's just not actually the captain of anything

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

When they had that scene where they were prepping to go attack the Covenant world I thought that's when they'd have Captain Keyes do something but nope he's just not actually the captain of anything

Hands John a pistol and says “I don’t keep it loaded son. You’ll have to find ammo as you go.”

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yeep posted:

Also a really dumb cliffhanger. Cortana has been chatty all season, there's no reason for her not to explain what's going on to the other Spartans other than artificial drama.

Eh I disagree, it's a massive psychological question mark in the heat of battle. Could easily get someone killed.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ratjaculation posted:

oh i just meant like in combat situations

he can take his helmet off any other time idgaf

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I like the show. I won’t disagree with most objective complaints, but I like the characters, especially Pablo’s Chief. I’m glad the show went off script, otherwise I’d already know everything. Hopefully, next season they’ll address the obvious problems and being post-Covid won’t be produced so weird. I think we’re gonna see a lot of mediocre shows get good in their second, post-Covid season.

Next season I hope we’ll see other Spartan-IIs and the introduction of Spartan-IIIs. John and Kai would lose their poo poo over the IIIs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4Px9lumQ8

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

I like the show. I won’t disagree with most objective complaints, but I like the characters, especially Pablo’s Chief. I’m glad the show went off script, otherwise I’d already know everything. Hopefully, next season they’ll address the obvious problems and being post-Covid won’t be produced so weird. I think we’re gonna see a lot of mediocre shows get good in their second, post-Covid season.

Next season I hope we’ll see other Spartan-IIs and the introduction of Spartan-IIIs. John and Kai would lose their poo poo over the IIIs.

Noble team. Noble team. Oh god please Noble team. :pray:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I found it deeply confusing that they decided to cast a Korean-American to play the Jewish main character in a Japanese cartoon. And gave him a curly wig.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Marsupial Ape posted:

Kai would take them under her wing like a good mother hen and call them all her babies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Noble Team but Jorge is just Jorge with zero changes to him at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Noble Team but Jorge is just Jorge with zero changes to him at all.

Just play Halo: Reach 100% straight only Chief is Noble Six and instead of going "I'm going to stay behind for contrived reasons", he gets his rear end on that Pelican with Keyes and Cortana at the end of the story and flies away from Reach as the sole survivor to go do Halo poo poo yes I know Jun still exists, don't @ me

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 23, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jun exists but is trapped in EU purgatory.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't know what you folks are on about; Spartans never die, they're just missing in action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish there were more channels doing breakdowns of the episodes like Halo Canon. The guy is pretty even handed and informative since he's a walking Halo encyclopedia. Too bad most of the discourse around the show on youtube is turning from memes like Master Cheeks into an increasingly hostile minefield of bad faith and moronic sigma male grindset nonsense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I wish there were more channels doing breakdowns of the episodes like Halo Canon. The guy is pretty even handed and informative since he's a walking Halo encyclopedia. Too bad most of the discourse around the show on youtube is turning from memes like Master Cheeks into an increasingly hostile minefield of bad faith and moronic sigma male grindset nonsense.

Deep dive Halo Lore is just the absolute worst, up there with the Star Wars expanded universe in terms of brain muck. The people who take Halo Lore seriously enough to be even handed and informative about it are just as bad. At least the culture warriors weirdos who are like "Halo's woke now because I saw Master Chief's rear end and [buzzword vomit] The Last Jedi!" or whatever are hilarious to make fun of because they don't understand anything.

People who do understand what's going on with Halo are just sad.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Without going into too much over explanation, what are the differences between the various spartan levels? Only remembering a bit from games like reach, was noble team the same group as John? I vaguely remember halo 5 had some new looking Spartans as well but don't recall what tier they were.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Quick synopsis is Spartan I’s don’t exist. Spartan II’s were the kids taken against their will to endure the trials of becoming a Spartan and tested on and general just crimes against humanity as seen with John. Spartan III’s were orphans who I think some were given a choice while others were conscripted during the early years of the covenant discovery. Spartan IV’s would be equivalent to joining the military and being picked to go to the SEAL program.

Here’s something I found but didn’t read if you wanna read into it. I may be wrong cus I’m going off memory.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh sweet, yeah that clears it up. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Quick synopsis is Spartan I’s don’t exist. Spartan II’s were the kids taken against their will to endure the trials of becoming a Spartan and tested on and general just crimes against humanity as seen with John. Spartan III’s were orphans who I think some were given a choice while others were conscripted during the early years of the covenant discovery. Spartan IV’s would be equivalent to joining the military and being picked to go to the SEAL program.

Here’s something I found but didn’t read if you wanna read into it. I may be wrong cus I’m going off memory.

Spartan I’s exist but they’re just normal soldiers with rudimentary physical enhancements. Sgt. Johnson, for example is a Spartan I. It was a proof of concept program done by Halsey to convince the UNSC and ONI to let her start the Spartan II program.