Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

toggle posted:

All of these were shot at 600mm, with no cropping.

The 1st one landed on the railing of my patio while I was BBQing. It’s actually a juvenile kookaburra but someone in the neighbourhood must of been feeding it since it was really tame around me. It was probably 1 metre away.. not sure what that is in feet. I didn’t feed it, but it watched my grilling very intently.

For the last 2, I stayed at a cabin with a bird seed feeder and these guys would always arrive for their 6am/4pm daily feedings. Kinda tame, but not. I could walk up to them about 2 metres away, any closer and they’d freak out.

Ah. Nice. I should look into a 150-600 or comparable. My longest is 300mm.

Great shots!

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Composite shot of Red Tailed Hawk entering and recovering from a dive.

Full size: https://www.jezyoung.com/images/1z3b6624.jpg

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I recently picked up my first DSLR ever and have been using it on my walks/hikes. Managed to get this american kestrel yesterday. I was about 300 feet away and unfortunately couldn't get any closer because it was hunting over a fenced off area.

Nikon D3500 300mm f/6.3 1/2000s ISO360.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
went for a walk this morning with my long lens at the local park

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

It was overcast this morning so I went back out to get experience shooting in that light. It unexpectedly turned into a really clear sky. Ended up with some great new birds to add to my log! I'm especially fond of the grosbeak photo since I only got maybe 30 seconds to get a photo before it disappeared into the brush.

Pileated Woodpecker

Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Eastern Kingbird

Eastern Towhee

Brown-headed Cowbird (female)

Brown-headed Cowbird (male)

Red-winged Black bird

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

creatine posted:

I recently picked up my first DSLR ever and have been using it on my walks/hikes. Managed to get this american kestrel yesterday. I was about 300 feet away and unfortunately couldn't get any closer because it was hunting over a fenced off area.

Nikon D3500 300mm f/6.3 1/2000s ISO360.

Congrats on your first DSLR! Just shoot like crazy and have fun. It’s a great hobby.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Previous frame was like this but not in the corner of the frame, thus forcing this crop, but missed focus :/

vessbot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 13, 2022

Captain Charisma
Nov 10, 2021
that last one :swoon:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Those Tree Swallow shots above are stupendously good.
I went out this morning to get some more Tree Swallow photos and they were less than thrilled with how close I got so not the best Swallow shots but here's some other bonus stuff:

Tree Swallow

Baltimore Oriole

Swainson's Thrush

Eastern Kingbird

And this Great Blue Heron from earlier this week

Also, fun reminder that tomorrow is the Global Big Day. https://ebird.org/news/global-big-day-2022
Get out there and fill out some checklists!

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 13, 2022

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
drat good stuff in this thread lately

Gyuto Wilsons warbler-9672 on Flickr

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Despite being out birding a ton, I haven't been shooting much. My Nikon 200-500mm zoom mechanism got stuck, and the lens was in for repair for two months while they waited for parts. Eventually they gave up and replaced it with a refurbished lens. Missed a bunch of shots while I was without a camera, including being 10 feet or so away from an Barred Owl at eye-level.

One of the last photos I took before repair, and American Woodcock on a nest (stuck at 230 mm). This was literally 8 feet off a heavily trafficked bike path.

American Woodcock

Today was light at work so I went to the local hotspot for migrants in the morning. Not much in the way of warblers today, but I did manage to get a couple of shots I'm happy with. Including a very cooperative Catbird.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Gray Catbird

Gray Catbird

Gray Catbird

Went to look for a Spotted Sandpiper at lunch. No luck there, but caught the full range of Killdeer behaviors.

Killdeer

Killdeer

Killdeer

Killdeer

Killdeer

Killdeer

There was an influx of Arctic Terns into the Northeast today. I extended lunch birding into the early afternoon to check the nearest large pond without luck. By the time terns were found in my county it was the time of day where my disappearance would too much good will with m wife by leaving her with the kids on a Friday evening. I did manage this shot of a warbler.

Nashville Warbler

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
birb thread never left. birb thread is back

spoonbills are goofy as gently caress in action

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This female Eastern Spinebill let me take these from 2 feet away with my 105mm macro lens, she just did not care that I was there

This Australian Raven was less pleased I interrupted it's lunch, so I had to use the telezoom

Australian White Ibis preparing to judge something

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Unfortunately didn't catch the next step when the little wagtail did some kind of barrel roll as the little wave dared to splash them

White wagtail by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

In spring, it is not only the birds who migrate. This week is the herring run on my stretch of the river, and it is time for the gulls to feast. There is a dam here, which makes the fish easy picking. I have shots of like twenty different birds catching fish.

There's a big push to get the dam taken out and this is one reason... there's a fish ladder so plenty do make it upstream, but a ton of them just get caught up at the dam and become bird food.

Bonus black-crowned night heron.

Also got some good shots of a baltimore oriole and a prairie warbler.

I'll spare you guys the million gosling photos.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

but you could post at least ONE gosling photo please if you would

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
If he won't I will!

Here's a gosling

and cygnets

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

if you insist

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
theyre loving adorable

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Bobcat!? Nope, Great Horned Owl in the grass.

Wildcat Great Horned Owl in grass-0297 on Flickr

It must have just caught a big gopher snake when I came upon it. The owl flew up to a branch to deal with it. Looking through the photos this was pretty gruesome. Eventually the front half went down the hatch. Even then, the snake's tail was wriggling all around and the owl kept looking down like "wtf is up with my lunch".

Wildcat Great Horned Owl snake-0444 on Flickr

Then it brought the back half up to the kids in the nest.

Wildcat Great Horned Owl snake in flight-0494 on Flickr

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This guy was boppin around looking for food in my yard.

These two were hanging out.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 23, 2022

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
great blue heron

baby barred owls

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Blue Jays

Robin

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 23, 2022

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
These owls are too drat cute. Nice captures.

Atlatl posted:

baby barred owls

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

More baby barred owls

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
yessssss

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
The setting 💕💖

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Thanks. Shooting through the leaves was annoying, but the lighting was great and I’m happy the way they turned out

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Petey

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

Got ambushed by this family yesterday:

(click for bigger)

Luckily I had some quacksnacks on me so all I got was slightly hissed at by the parents.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 26, 2022

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Swallow with mouthful of bugs leaving it's nesting hole

Male Northern Harrier on the prowl

American Avocet

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Some smug bastards on my recent vacation in Grand Junction, Colorado. MuMu got me right on the bald spot when I was sitting watching the sunset. One good hard peck.

Smug Bastard by B. B., on Flickr

MuMu by B. B., on Flickr

Here's Looking at You by B. B., on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Finally got around to editing these sets of photos of about 80+ Northern Rough-winged Swallows absolutely demolishing every midge in sight off the coast of Lake Ontario.
The lighting was absolute dogshit, so in reality this is just a testament to what can be sort of salvaged from ISO 6400 using Topaz Denoise.

The end result isn't anything really print worthy or anything - but it's still cool to kind of be able to salvage these a little bit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I love that you can get a glimpse of the snacks. I've found the Topaz stuff to be pretty good. I do wish they had more options and controls, though. Ideally less harsh options.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 28, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just seen in my yard today, first owl ever at my place. He was tiny, no more than 6 to 8 inches. (Northern Pygmy Owl)

Owl Look by B. B., on Flickr

From Beneath by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Philthy posted:

I love that you can get a glimpse of the snacks. I've found the Topaz stuff to be pretty good. I do wish they had more options and controls, though. Ideally less harsh options.

Yeah I started using the new Raw model and it's actually the best - the only downside is that after I use it, I seem to be losing camera profiles use - Oh well.