Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

It's not Star Wars either. It's American Born Chinese.

i'm psyched for this after seeing ke huy quan and michelle yeoh knock it out of the park in EEAAO

post as many production stories as you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Finally got to see Morbius, and if it wasn't edited together like a ransom note, its easily mid to top tier MCU. It actually looks like it had a budget.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mastershakeman posted:

i'm psyched for this after seeing ke huy quan and michelle yeoh knock it out of the park in EEAAO

post as many production stories as you can

I can't say much about the show right now (NDA and all that), but Ke and Michelle don't actually interact at all in AmBC. Their characters are part of vastly different parts of the show and both play more supporting roles to the main cast. They both have been absolutely incredible.

To gush about Ke for a moment -

Ke Quan is the nicest person I've ever met. When EEAAO was first releasing, the producers of our show rented out a theater screen for our production to go see it and Ke came too. Michelle couldn't make it (she was at home with covid at the time) but he facetimed her to say hi briefly before the showing.

When you see interviews with Ke and he seems nice and sincere, that is not a public person, that's just who he is. He deserves everything amazing in this world.

I still believe they should give Ke the lead in the next Indiana Jones film. Have old Indy be kidnapped by Soviets and reveal that Short Round became an adventurer after his time with Indy and has to go rescue him. Basically make it The Last Crusade but with Indy's role reversed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mordiceius posted:

I can't say much about the show right now (NDA and all that), but Ke and Michelle don't actually interact at all in AmBC. Their characters are part of vastly different parts of the show and both play more supporting roles to the main cast. They both have been absolutely incredible.

To gush about Ke for a moment -

Ke Quan is the nicest person I've ever met. When EEAAO was first releasing, the producers of our show rented out a theater screen for our production to go see it and Ke came too. Michelle couldn't make it (she was at home with covid at the time) but he facetimed her to say hi briefly before the showing.

When you see interviews with Ke and he seems nice and sincere, that is not a public person, that's just who he is. He deserves everything amazing in this world.

I still believe they should give Ke the lead in the next Indiana Jones film. Have old Indy be kidnapped by Soviets and reveal that Short Round became an adventurer after his time with Indy and has to go rescue him. Basically make it The Last Crusade but with Indy's role reversed.

Do this but have the old adventurer be Michelle Yeoh reprising her role as Indiana Jones Fok Ming-Ming in Magnificent Warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcp3TJBWKmE

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

We don’t use serialized comics to tell the story of Spiderman; comics use Spiderman to propagate themselves.

What an unsettling way to put it!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Morbius is really loving terrible like goddamn what a poo poo show and waste.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Morbius is really loving terrible like goddamn what a poo poo show and waste.

I wasn't expecting it to be good but yeah I was genuinely impressed with how busted it was.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting, Namor has been confirmed for Black Panther 2, and a leak, including concept art, is all over the BSS thread and putting a different spin on him: he's not from Atlantis anymore. He's from Tlalocan, which is basically the same thing but Aztecs, and Tlalocan is going to have a similar 'hidden high-tech native country unspoiled by outsiders' thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I mean, that's still basically Atlantis.

Maybe they wanted to do something to set him apart from Aquaman.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Cythereal posted:

Interesting, Namor has been confirmed for Black Panther 2, and a leak, including concept art, is all over the BSS thread and putting a different spin on him: he's not from Atlantis anymore. He's from Tlalocan, which is basically the same thing but Aztecs, and Tlalocan is going to have a similar 'hidden high-tech native country unspoiled by outsiders' thing.

I like it. Picasso.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The world in the MCU is doing a really bad job finding hidden civilizations that have existed for millennia.

At least with Atlantis, they have an excuse. Seems like somebody should have stumbled upon a technologically advanced future city in Mexico at some point in the last few centuries.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The world in the MCU is doing a really bad job finding hidden civilizations that have existed for millennia.

At least with Atlantis, they have an excuse. Seems like somebody should have stumbled upon a technologically advanced future city in Mexico at some point in the last few centuries.

Tlalocan is underwater.

Apparently, the gist of the plot is that Tlalocan's invisibility shield is starting to fail and so Namor comes to Wakanda to ask for their help, but does so in a way that seriously offends the Wakandans and a third party is egging both sides on into a fight.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 23, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Please be Doom.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Tlalocan is underwater.

Apparently, the gist of the plot is that Tlalocan's invisibility shield is starting to fail and so Namor comes to Wakanda to ask for their help, but does so in a way that serious offends the Wakandans and a third party is egging both sides on into a fight.

I mean that sounds fairly Namor-ish to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cythereal posted:

Tlalocan is underwater.

Apparently, the gist of the plot is that Tlalocan's invisibility shield is starting to fail and so Namor comes to Wakanda to ask for their help, but does so in a way that serious offends the Wakandans and a third party is egging both sides on into a fight.

The_Doctor posted:

Please be Doom.

Oh, I see how this could play out.

The nations of the world come to Wakanda for T'Challa's funeral. While there, Namor is Namor and is a dick, and asks for help with his nation's shield in an uncouth way. The Wakandans don't want to help, at least right now while they're burying their King, but also partly because of how Namor asked, so Namor seeks help from someone else. Enter the representative/leader from Latveria, who is, you know, a genius, and can help out with that shield. The Wakandans don't think he can be trusted (especially after what happened with another outsider, Klaue), but won't help themselves. This Latverian is maybe not the main villain, but either way, movie movie movie, and then he leaves the movie to fight another day. Post credit scene, someone mentions how someone needs to deal with this Latverian fellow. "You know, I used to be friends with someone from Latveria. Almost as smart as me. Bit of an ego, though. Called himself Dr. Doom." Enter Reed Richards, who the audience will now know on sight, thanks to Strange 2. Boom, there's the skeleton of your movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 23, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Given the themes from the first movie, seems more likely that the third party agitator will be a political or intelligence figure trying to bring Wakanda down than a supervillain who wants tech or whatever.

Also, lots of ancient civilizations in the MCU now. Thor can build a new superteam with Khonshu, Bast and now Tepeyollotl.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Maybe whoever is "egging on" a fight between wherever Namor is supposed to be from now and Wakanda could be Valentina Allegra de Fontaine from the end of Falcon and Winter Soldier. Except of course she could be doing all this on behalf of a benefactor, like Doctor Doom. Which I wouldn't be mad at. I don't really care how we get Doom, I am just ready for him in the MCU.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doronin posted:

Maybe whoever is "egging on" a fight between wherever Namor is supposed to be from now and Wakanda could be Valentina Allegra de Fontaine from the end of Falcon and Winter Soldier. Except of course she could be doing all this on behalf of a benefactor, like Doctor Doom. Which I wouldn't be mad at. I don't really care how we get Doom, I am just ready for him in the MCU.

She is explicitly assembling a Thunderbolts team at the behest of some Benefactor. She says so.

They haven't given any clues as to who, but it definitely won't be Doom before the FF4 are even officially introduced. It is possible that her recruitment tour will take a while and only finish after FF4, though.

She only has two members so far.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If these spoilers are true I just hope they pronounce Namor to rhyme with amor.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

pospysyl posted:

If these spoilers are true I just hope they pronounce Namor to rhyme with amor.

Perfect for someone well-versed in the language all lifeforms speaks.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

She is explicitly assembling a Thunderbolts team at the behest of some Benefactor. She says so.

They haven't given any clues as to who, but it definitely won't be Doom before the FF4 are even officially introduced. It is possible that her recruitment tour will take a while and only finish after FF4, though.

She only has two members so far.

It'd be really great if the shadow villain in Wakanda Forever is Everett Ross.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Robert Z'dars is M.O.D.O.K.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I was looking up what Martin Freeman was supposed to be doing in the original script and just learned that Secret Invasion is apparently already in post-production and that Christopher McDonald is playing a major character that is in all 6 episodes (and Martin Freeman is only in one).

Christopher McDonald is kind of a weird choice to be one of the prime characters in Secret Invasion. No info on who or what he is playing, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

live with fruit posted:

Given the themes from the first movie, seems more likely that the third party agitator will be a political or intelligence figure trying to bring Wakanda down than a supervillain who wants tech or whatever.

Also, lots of ancient civilizations in the MCU now. Thor can build a new superteam with Khonshu, Bast and now Tepeyollotl.

I was gonna say. There's a ton of ancient civilization loving everything in the MCU. They're just all in space.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That's true. It's a very Earth-o-centric world view to exclude the many civilizations that are trillions of years old and consider civilizations that are only thousands of years old as "ancient."

Check your monodromy privilege.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

live with fruit posted:

That doesn't fit the themes of the first movie at all. The CIA was extremely helpful in that movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowman_McK posted:

That doesn't fit the themes of the first movie at all. The CIA was extremely helpful in that movie.

Did you miss the part where the villain was a CIA assassin destabilizing a foreign country exactly like the other CIA character said he'd been trained to do?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Now that Hurt's died, General Ross' nephew can take over his evilness. They can make them family.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cythereal posted:

Did you miss the part where the villain was a CIA assassin destabilizing a foreign country exactly like the other CIA character said he'd been trained to do?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cythereal posted:

He did miss that, because the character is not a CIA assassin.

That gets trotted out all the time, and is effectively claiming that any given movie where the villains use guns is ACAB, because using guns is what cops do! And then a hero cop shoots all the villains in the face, progressively.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cythereal posted:

No. I also saw the part where the current CIA agent was an extremely helpful person whose motives were never depicted as suspect or ulterior. You know, the same thing as the last time we had this conversation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Snowman_McK posted:

No. I also saw the part where the current CIA agent was an extremely helpful person whose motives were never depicted as suspect or ulterior. You know, the same thing as the last time we had this conversation.

He also is the one going against the common beliefs of the agency and is constantly apologizing to an almost comical degree while being called a colonizer. He even literally says that Killmonger is "one of ours" and "learned from us."

This is getting into "SHIELD is never depicted as bad, despite being run by literal hyper Nazis - because Samuel L. Jackson is portrayed as really cool!" territory.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

We learn the scary CIA assassin's backstory from...an actively employed member of the CIA, who is using his clearance level to share this guy's file with the head of a government. It's the super typical "oh yeah bad things used to happen but don't worry I'm One of the Good OnesTM"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

He also is the one going against the common beliefs of the agency and is constantly apologizing to an almost comical degree while being called a colonizer.

The common beliefs of the agency aren't depicted in the film. There's no sign that he's really going against the agency as a whole, who don't even appear in the film and accept him back into the fold off screen. Can you name any other CIA personnel who appear in the film?

He even literally says that Killmonger is "one of ours" and "learned from us."

And then he went rogue, meaning he's no longer part of the CIA and thus not much of a critique compared to the extremely helpful and (as you point out) polite and apologetic current agent

This is getting into "SHIELD is never depicted as bad, despite being run by literal hyper Nazis - because Samuel L. Jackson is portrayed as really cool!" territory.

Yes, and the hyper nazis and the non hyper nazis can tell each other apart so clearly that no one even hesitates about who to aim at during a gunfight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He also is the one going against the common beliefs of the agency and is constantly apologizing to an almost comical degree while being called a colonizer. He even literally says that Killmonger is "one of ours" and "learned from us."

I admittedly hadn't seen it in awhile but I didn't remember him apologizing (much less to a comical degree) nor did I remember any scenes where it would be indicated that he is "going against the common beliefs of the agency". And like, there's a ton of cinematic shorthand for a rogue cop who does the right thing against the wishes of his superiors, you could easily throw in a scene where he gets a call and pretends the connection is weak because he wants to do his own thing (hell, in the movie this character was introduced in Tony Stark does that the General Ross as a gag!)

I went back and watched his scenes and honestly, he doesn't apologize at all. Sure he gives them the information and since he helps you could maybe infer that its as a way to "make up for" the CIA training this guy but he never says anything even approaching that (when he says he is going to help them take down Killmonger literally all he says is "what? you're gonna need all the help you can get" and smirks). Even when he is explaining in detail how Killmonger used explicit CIA tactics to overthrow T'Challa he doesn't say anything conciliatory. Honestly after you mentioned it and I was specifically looking for it it's almost bizarre how much they don't have him say that when he easily could have, so I almost don't blame you for misremembering.

quote:

Of course they portray SHIELD as bad, they just also display certain members of SHIELD as good or at least "trying to do the right thing, against terrible odds" or whatever BS. Like Fury occasionally makes the wrong call and has a tough conversation with Cap but then they all end up on the same side. In Fury's last appearance he delegated the job of passing Tony Stark's murder glasses over to a teenager to a shape shifting alien while he was on vacation -- this is used as a throw away after credits gag and not "I'm fleeing Earth because people have realized I'm a loving war criminal" exposition.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

He is also the one who — in the official capacity of the CIA — smilingly welcomes Wakanda's formal entrance into the liberal capitalist order. This is sequenced directly after the successful repression of a radical leftist rebellion.

I do like this idea that it's transgressive as a CIA agent to be bumbling and constantly apologizing though. Some next level, "If you're an undercover cop, you have to tell me," energy.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 24, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Killmonger has a rightful claim to the throne and wins it by legal means. That’s not traditionally in the CIA playbook.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Also, the issue isn’t that Shield isn’t shown to be bad, it’s that Sheild being >50% nazi by volume is completely inconsequential and doesn’t fundamentally change the status quo at all. Some ships and faceless mooks get blown up and that’s the end of it. It’s a disposable government agency that can simply disappear between movies without anyone being affected in any way. Everyone is just like “Hrm, a lot of the people we worked with over the past decade turned out to be Nazis, oh well, guess that’s over now, better not think too hard about what it means that nobody noticed until the last possible moment.”

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, and at least in that case they're fighting actual current Shield agents. The issue there was the follow-through.

I don't know how you can watch Black Panther, where they join with the CIA to fight a guy who doesn't even work there anymore, and think the CIA are supposed to come off as the bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8nTmfrQd8

Lol