Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 35 - Boom!

I don't know if there's been a line that made me cringe as viscerally as this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Two things:

1. Cid is rad.

2. Wakka, just... just shut the gently caress up. Never open your mouth again, except maybe, maybe for food and water, and I'm not even sure you should be permitted that much.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

This whole section of the game is so fantastic. Love the cutscenes here. The part where the Al Bhed sing the hymn is really beautiful, and then it's followed up by that dope-rear end FMV.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ha ha just like a fireworks show, like maybe if they did a fireworks show to celebrate a genocide, ha ha how festive

I do really like the story of this game as a summary or outline, but man the actual script and line reads can get bad. On the other hand, details they did really well include the consistency of everyone's reactions based on who knows what. If you ever do replay with that "beating sin kills the summoner" spoiler in mind, a lot things make perfect sense.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
And other things like the little girl asking Yuna if she will bring the Calm become completely horrifying.

Definitely explains why none of the other guardians really cared about Yuna marrying Seymour. It was never going to be anything more than a gesture to give people hope. A grand wedding, then she marches off to her death. Hell, they probably thought it would be nice for Yuna to have a wedding in the first place.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Finally this world's worst kept secret is out.

This is why Rikku is the best. She (was) the only one of the party who was there trying to stop Yuna's death march while also putting up with Wakka. It also brings up a LOT of how much Auron's been hiding from Gooba& to keep him on the path instead of having him run away.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If you talk to Wakka immediately after the fireworks comment, he wonders why he said that.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be intended an understanding of how upset Rikku was, and an attempt to apologize for what an rear end he's been that fell incredibly flat because he didn't know what to say. But it was so insanely bad that it doesn't come off that way.

Edit: If you get Rikku as your motorcycle partner, she talks about summoners being sacrificed before a confident "the guardians will handle it" shuts the conversation down. Which makes the whole "I didn't know" breakdown much less convincing.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah, Auron is a cool dude and all but also incredibly manipulative and clearly has his own machinations going. He's lying (by omission at least) to everyone: he never told Gooba& that Yuna would die, and he's kept Jecht being Sin from everyone else. In a weird way he's kind of the anti-Rikku: he also has his own thing going on that's distinct from the rest of the guardians, but instead of getting Yuna away from the pilgrimage he seems hell-bent on keeping it going. When Seymour's proposal came up, his response was basically "I don't give a gently caress unless it'd stop you reaching Zanarkand, in which case absolutely loving not."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Akratic Method posted:

On the other hand, details they did really well include the consistency of everyone's reactions based on who knows what. If you ever do replay with that "beating sin kills the summoner" spoiler in mind, a lot things make perfect sense.

It recontextualizes so much about how the party acts. Lulu's brusque and kind of a jerk, but she's also dealing with the same general loss everyone is, the personal loss of Chappu, and bracing herself for Yuna. Wakka's trying to apply a, "Laugh so you don't cry" attitude to everything, even the loss of Home just now, even when he completely sticks his foot in his mouth doing so. (He should still shut up forever now.) Kimahri is very... Kimahri, because even victory is going to be unspeakably sad for everyone involved, no wonder he doesn't want Gooba& along for the ride at first.

Thinking about it actually makes me dislike Seymour even more now, because here he is with his own fantastically powerful Aeon and he was doing... what, exactly, with it? Making a dramatic show of killing some fiends every once in a while but otherwise just using it to entrench himself more in worldly power. Using the idea of a show marriage to raise his own stock with the people, because that's what it'd really be about - not raising everyone's spirits, but making him more sympathetic with this starcrossed lovers poo poo after Yuna is conveniently dead.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Danaru posted:

The finger on the monkey's paw curls

I look forward to Auron as your healer and Yuna as the melee beatstick.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best part of the cutscenes in that update is 100% absolutely the shameful silence where no one can say it to Gooba& followed by khimari literally pointing out that there was an awkward silence and that he was gonna let it now.

disposablewords posted:

It recontextualizes so much about how the party acts. Lulu's brusque and kind of a jerk, but she's also dealing with the same general loss everyone is, the personal loss of Chappu, and bracing herself for Yuna. Wakka's trying to apply a, "Laugh so you don't cry" attitude to everything, even the loss of Home just now, even when he completely sticks his foot in his mouth doing so. (He should still shut up forever now.) Kimahri is very... Kimahri, because even victory is going to be unspeakably sad for everyone involved, no wonder he doesn't want Gooba& along for the ride at first.

Thinking about it actually makes me dislike Seymour even more now, because here he is with his own fantastically powerful Aeon and he was doing... what, exactly, with it? Making a dramatic show of killing some fiends every once in a while but otherwise just using it to entrench himself more in worldly power. Using the idea of a show marriage to raise his own stock with the people, because that's what it'd really be about - not raising everyone's spirits, but making him more sympathetic with this starcrossed lovers poo poo after Yuna is conveniently dead.

That's not quite what he was going for, but we can get into that later.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FoolyCharged posted:

That's not quite what he was going for, but we can get into that later.

I hate it when stories flesh out backstories of characters long after their death.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, now we know why those particular Al Bhed Primers are permanently missable.

If you don't grab them, they get blown the gently caress up.

(also, Gooba&, Wakka and Brother make a pretty goddamn decent team of Forwards; put Brother in center, and have Wakka and Gooba& shoot like crazy. That's not to say Wakka's one of the best forwards, far from it. He's very weak defensively, with low block and attack. Like Gooba&, Wakka's good for one thing; get the ball to him, and put it in the goal. He's got decent endurance to breakthrough defenders, and he's got a solid Shooting score, plus Venom Shot to boost it up a bit further. Wakka's the only member of the original Aurochs that is numerically capable of scoring on the Al Bhed Psyches' terrifying goalie (Nimrook literally has the best Goalie "Catch" stat in the game). Brother, meanwhile, has frankly terrifying offensive stats all around; he's great as passing and shooting, he's great at blocking enemy shots or passes if he doesn't get broken through (his attack stat isn't fantastic, though still better than Wakka and Gooba&'s). He's also one of the fastest swimmers in Spira, which is always helpful.

Wakka's a solid player, but Brother is one of those No-Brainer recruits for when you're looking to assemble an all-star team.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 23, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Hell yes, he can just straight outrun a lot of players to a point where they don't matter. He can embarrass the Ronso Fangs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, Brother is absolutely amazing in middle field. the easiest way to scort is to have him start with the ball, go a bit forward, pull the aggro of everyone, go a bit back, outswimming them in the process and then passing to the front. Usually this can actually get rid of every single opponent before shooting from an inch away.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Figured I can just ask here, is there a quick way to start a blitzball tournament after finishing one? like is it time based or can I game the system to play another tournament quickly?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, Brother is absolutely amazing in middle field. the easiest way to scort is to have him start with the ball, go a bit forward, pull the aggro of everyone, go a bit back, outswimming them in the process and then passing to the front. Usually this can actually get rid of every single opponent before shooting from an inch away.

Or just swimming past the other midfielder and firing a point blank shot before the other defenders can collapse on him. Of course, when he hits that level of stats, blitzball has a very short lifespan of still being interesting left in it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

Figured I can just ask here, is there a quick way to start a blitzball tournament after finishing one? like is it time based or can I game the system to play another tournament quickly?

I think you can just play an exhibition match or two. They seem to pop up again pretty fast, but it seems based on games played.

E: lol nope it's dumber than that. Just enter and leave the blitzball menu. You don't even have to play a game.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 23, 2022

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

That said, apparently the important prizes alternate between Tournament and League prizes. You got the Attack Reels from a Tournament, so the next one will be a League prize. (Unless you just got the next one and that's why you're looking for a tournament again, of course.)

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I hate it when stories flesh out backstories of characters long after their death.

This may not be the game for you. Jeckt Spheres alone give more backstory to Braska's crew than some games give their main characters, and it's barely a blip in the number of people who died before the game even started that become story relevant.

The rails are off and we're off the rails, strap in folks, the second act of this game gets wild

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hey, Jecht isn't technically dead.

Yet.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah, Auron is a cool dude and all but also incredibly manipulative and clearly has his own machinations going. He's lying (by omission at least) to everyone: he never told Gooba& that Yuna would die, and he's kept Jecht being Sin from everyone else. In a weird way he's kind of the anti-Rikku: he also has his own thing going on that's distinct from the rest of the guardians, but instead of getting Yuna away from the pilgrimage he seems hell-bent on keeping it going. When Seymour's proposal came up, his response was basically "I don't give a gently caress unless it'd stop you reaching Zanarkand, in which case absolutely loving not."

I think Auron is supposed to be there to keep them on track with "their story" that he even says isn't his. He doesn't reveal things, because it isn't his place to. It was the job of the other guardians to tell Gooba& the fate that Yuna was facing. Just like it is the burden of Gooba& to tell them about Jecht/Sin. They need to discover these things on their journey, because it belongs to them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DevNull posted:

I think Auron is supposed to be there to keep them on track with "their story" that he even says isn't his. He doesn't reveal things, because it isn't his place to. It was the job of the other guardians to tell Gooba& the fate that Yuna was facing. Just like it is the burden of Gooba& to tell them about Jecht/Sin. They need to discover these things on their journey, because it belongs to them.

Also, because he's a cryptic rear end in a top hat that will absolutely hide everything from everyone, even to the detriment of his own goals.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Regarding Guado and fiends--fiends are created when a person dies, can't accept their own death, aren't Sent by a summoner, and eventually develop enough bitterness and rage that they manifest a monstrous new body out of pyreflies. Guado are noted as having a special connection to the pyrefly-filled Farplane (where dead people go according to Yevonite belief, and where pyreflies show images of the dead according to Al Bhed belief), so it makes sense to that they might have some ability to control fiends (which are made from dead people and pyreflies).

In very, very faint defense of Wakka--even if he couldn't understand that Cid was saying in Al Bhed moments before The Comment ("Gah-hah-hah-hah! Return to sand!" and "No need for tears. What is good about machina, is that they can be built anew, you see?"), he could presumably pick up that Cid was trying to make light of the situation. So he tried to do the same in order to comfort Rikku. But... given that Wakka is, uh, not known for his people skills, and that he's also not the leader of the Al Bhed (who are now grieving both the loss of friends/family and their Home, so it makes sense that Cid would want to try and keep morale up)/the guy that founded Home in the first place, and also that Wakka has NO TACT WHATSOEVER, he just made himself look like a huge jackass and made everything worse.

As for that sphere oscillo-scope... well, that's sure a Plot Device if I ever saw one. :cheeky:

I love that "gumbus" is now the official term for a little protruding bit that branches off from the main path.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FoolyCharged posted:

Hey, Jecht isn't technically dead.

Yet.

Fiends and the fayth make "alive" a pretty nebulous concept in Spira, when you think about it. Like, you can just get lost on the way to dead and then accidentally be a dragon. Or, given Bahamut, you can take that side-track on purpose. Pyreflies, the forms they can adopt, and the Farplane being a literal visitable place make the whole thing just a bizarrely sliding scale.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
death in spira is a light suggestion at best. you'd think the party would be less sad about yuna given there's seemingly an 80% chance she'll just show up again about a week after dying to pause sin

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Summoners might be one of the few people that don't respawn, if that whole "she didn't need to be sent because she accepted death while she was still alive" thing Yuna said about Gooba&'s mom is true. A summoner sets out on a pilgrimmage for the express purpose of dying. Their guardians know they most likely won't survive either.

Optional battle stuff: I know there's one optional battle with a summoner who became a fiend, but that one probably had regrets preventing them from moving on. A summoner dying to defeat Sin probably wouldn't.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 36 - drat Cid!

This fight rules, mind you I totally forgot Cid had more missiles after the whole Home incident :staredog:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 36 - drat Cid!

This fight rules, mind you I totally forgot Cid had more missiles after the whole Home incident :staredog:

Cid rules. He was ready to chuck Auron out of the airlock and his first reaction to a conflict is to blow it up.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Akratic Method posted:

Fiends and the fayth make "alive" a pretty nebulous concept in Spira

Ha, really wanted to mention Seymour just going "nahhh" to dying but I was an episode too early. So yeah, not only can your dead soul turn into a monster, it can also just be like no, I refuse to be dead, I'm staying here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

And there you have why we killed Seymour without ever figuring out his deal.

We get to kill him again!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Evrae can be a really brutal fight.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I admire whoever came up with the idea of having the Al Bhed siren blare through one of the most important and emotional cutscenes in the game. I bet the other designers were all "Hey, shouldn't we turn it off for this?" and he was "No! This scene NEEDS to have someone scream 'I'm annoying, huh?' in the background!"

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
I think I heard somewhere that the reason they added in that whole "whoops, some Guado and fiends snuck onto the airship, now go and clear them out!" bit was to allow players to grind prior to the Evrae fight, since Evrae can be quite difficult if you go in underleveled.

Rin is great. "I have faith in your victory. :)"

If anyone on Spira deserves to get killed more than once, it's Seymour.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

this boss fight is the best DOINK in the game

also geez, wakka can whip a sportsball like a hundred meters away, while standing on an airship that's flying at high speed, and bounce it off a dragon and have it fly perfectly back to his hands.

but that doesn't work in his sport because it's done underwater, lol eat poo poo wakka

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 37 - Yuna's Hyperactive Twink Is Here

I definitely remember the grinding scene being used heavily in the trailers and commercials, and I mean rightfully so this poo poo loving whips

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 37 - Yuna's Hyperactive Twink Is Here

I definitely remember the grinding scene being used heavily in the trailers and commercials, and I mean rightfully so this poo poo loving whips

Square has always had a knack for beautiful/awesome cutscenes. It's one of the few things they consistently seem to get right.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I like how Kimahri is carrying Lulu down because they didn't even wanna try and animate Lulu's dress going down those ziplines

EDIT: Also, Kimahri's Thrust Kick is bugged and doesn't eject people :(

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 25, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

SoundwaveAU posted:

I like how Kimahri is carrying Lulu down because they didn't even wanna try and animate Lulu's dress going down those ziplines

Fun fact: Lulu is designed that way because Nomura is a giant troll who wanted to see if the graphics team could animate her properly in every scene despite her insane belt dress. The graphics team responded by just not showing her below the waist (or in some cases, such as in Luca, at all) very often. Hell, even though she is being carried in that cutscene, you can see that the team didn't even bother to make her dress so much as ruffle in the wind. They were in complete "screw you" mode with Nomura.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SoundwaveAU posted:

EDIT: Also, Kimahri's Thrust Kick is bugged and doesn't eject people :(

Huh? Is that something which was fixed in the international version, or first appeared in the rerelease? Never had a problem with that one.